CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GuyInTheGreenHouse
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
thekob
Ace Dilcock
Spurticus
TastyLicks
JerseyBird
Master Bedroom
2017 SEC Tournament: (1783)
What jumps out at yo (728)
Music Thread: Day 15 (441)
Sedee Keita to trans (434)
Baseball: South Caro (139)
2 Football Tickets f (13)
Game time set for NC Stat
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
2018 - Josh Vann
2018 - Matthew Hill
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Lindy's and Athlon's are
Sedee Keita to transfer
2 Football Tickets for Ev
Anyone know where I can b

View Poll Results: Who is the First-Team Gamecock QB?
Todd Ellis 88 14.84%
Dutch Elston 1 0.17%
Johnny Gramling 6 1.01%
Jeff Grantz 99 16.69%
Mike Hold 38 6.41%
Phil Petty 99 16.69%
Tommy Suggs 26 4.38%
Steve Taneyhill 225 37.94%
Other 11 1.85%
Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #21
dshocker
THIS SPACE FOR RENT!

Male

CockyCash: 200
dshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot materialdshocker is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to dshocker Send a message via MSN to dshocker

While I like the names put up on the poll, my honest opinion is that Anthony Wright was the best QB we ever had. Unfortunetly due to injuries, a non existent passing game and umm....BRAD SCOTT, he was also the most under-utilized athlete to ever go through USC football (Though Summers was a close second to that last year....25 carriers a game my butt!)
Old 05-22-2005, 08:38 PM   #22
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
buzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to buzzcock

[quote:a7a043ffbf=\"RoosterBooster\"]The problem with Todd was all mental. He was soooo talented he just thought he could make throws he was not capable of making. Also in his defense he did not exactly come in under a great aerial offensive coordinator. He came in under the master of the veer. This did account for a few of Todd's tosses to the wrong jersey. The offense put him in a lot of situations where his only option was to throw back across the field or take the sack and Todd always thought he could make the throw and quite often did. Steve just had that intangible desire that made his feet just quick enough to get away and his pass just high enough to get over the defender. The great thing about this argument is if we have it in 5 or 10 years we will more than likely have several more names and a lot more touchdowns. However I don't think we will ever have another quarterback who can live up to Bobby Fuller's 373 touchdowns much less Tanneyhill's 753???? What is this stat. Could not be career touchdown passes.[/quote:a7a043ffbf]

As memory serves me, the offense was changed for Ellis to the \"run-n-shoot\", akin to the one started in Houston. Ellis was from the start a passer and finished as a .........well, call him anything you want.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #23
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
As memory serves me, the offense was changed for Ellis to the \"run-n-shoot\", akin to the one started in Houston. Ellis was from the start a passer and finished as a .........well, call him anything you want\"

Yes, the offense was changed to suit Ellis. Frank Sadler was not the guy to create a passing offense. He was a GREAT run oriented offensive coordinator. Putting together a passing attack was not right for him. This is why he left after the 87 season. However, the guy that replaced him, Al Groh was also not suited for a high powered offense. I never figured that move out. I always saw him as a much better defensive than offensive mind. He was never really associated with a high power offense. Anyway that was my point. Put Ellis under a young Spurrier or Steve Logan type coordinator in that era and who knows what might have happened.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #24
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPitMDCox rules the CockPit

First off, I am too young to remember Suggs, so it has be to Tannyhill for me. Imagine him in Spurrier's offense. I think even Holtz could have been successful with Tannyhill. He was one of the best QBs in college of his time. Did nothing in the Pros, so it appeared he was a system oriented QB. But, Wow could he sling the ball. If he had a good defense around him we would have been 8-3, 9-2, 9-2 his last few years. And I know that sounds like a stretch, but the defense was so bad it made the team look horrible, but the offense was putting up some remarkable numbers. Almost every QB and RB we played during those years had career days against us. I bet we are the only ones that remember Bo Williams of Ky (?)[ I think].
Old 06-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #25
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins
Default Re: All-Time Gamecock Team - QB (Poll)

[bump] WR poll coming next
Old 06-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #26
WhazupCock95
Walk On

Male

Baseball Pickem: Baseball Pickem - Given for: Winner of Baseball Pickem 
WhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPitWhazupCock95 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
Alright, here we go. Some numbers to help with the voting:

Career Passing Leader:
Todd Ellis 9,953 yds
Taneyhill 8,782 yds
Anthony Wright 5,681
Phil Petty 5,652
Tommy Suggs 4,916
Bobby Fuller 4,896
Jeff Grantz 3,440
Mike Hold 2,981
Garry Harper 2,971
Ron Bass 2,933

Single Game Records (Yds)
Taneyhill 473
Taneyhill 451
Ellis 425
Taneyhill 405
Ellis 394
Taneyhill 389

Career Completions
Taneyhill 753
Ellis 747
Phil Petty 454
Anthony Wright 432
Bobby Fuller 373

Career Touchdowns
Taneyhill 62
Ellis 49
Wright 38
Suggs 34
Petty, Fuller 28
Grantz 26
Repost to answer your question Jaydogg, well at least part of it.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #27
Mobile Ranger
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 501
Mobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to Mobile Ranger Send a message via MSN to Mobile Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Mobile Ranger

Statistically Tanneyhill was the best QB that we have ever had. He also had that cocky attitude that we need. That is why I think he is the best we have ever had.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #28
Cocktane-Man
Walk On

Male

Cocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talons

I'll be honest I am kinda shocked that Petty is leading this thing
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 AM   #29
GarnetBlack
Walk On

Male

GarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPitGarnetBlack rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcock
This 'cocky' is my opinion of Ellis. He was like Spring......he came in like a Lion and left like a lamb.......killing the offense with delay of game penalties, crumbling when he heard footsteps. Grantz and Suggs never quit.......Ellis did.
sorry fellas I was young, but knew Ellis personally and he was an awesome guy. He could've and should've been USC best QB ever, but things happened etc.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:31 AM   #30
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

I think there was a poll in The State a while back that picked Grantz as the greatest all time QB. I never saw him play but I do remember a little of when Mike Hold played. I was pretty young, but if I remember correctly, he split time with another QB. It just always seemed to me like he made something happen when he was in the game. As far as Ellis doing to pbp, I just made my first post last week and I believe it was about how bad a job I think he does. He actually said during a running play: "down to the eighty..uh twenty yard line and he's always getting his yardages wrong during the game. How about doing a poll of who wants Mike Morgan versus Todd Ellis. Like someone said, he might do well as a color commentator.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #31
vacock
Walk On

Male

vacock has hatched from the shell

Jeff Gantz just always seemed to find a way to get the job done.
He was a real winner.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:24 PM   #32
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot material

What is ironic is that during most of Phil Petty's playing days the majority of the fans didn't even think he was the best QB on the team, much less ever.
Even starting his senior season there was grumblings that we might could even compete for a championship if we had an above average QB.

My opinion is that Petty was effective, actually very effective. And that is one key to being a great QB. But I think he lacked in the other main components of being a QB. He had a huge heart and would doing anything for Carolina.Phil was good at not doing anything that would lose any games for us but rarely, if ever, did he win any on his own merit either.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #33
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins

That's it GH. He was a smart, ball control style QB. He also has more bowl victories than any other QB in Gamecock history.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #34
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

You are right Petty was simply a winner. If talent were all it took I don't think we would be talking about anyone but Anthony and Todd. But most of the votes we see are Tanneyhill, Grantz, and Petty. They had two things in common. Huge hearts and they were and still are Gamecocks to the core. Same way with Suggs.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #35
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I'll have to go with Tanneyhill.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #36
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot material

"He also has more bowl victories than any other QB in Gamecock history."

But CockyHoskins, if we use that as the determining factor, then Brian Scott is the All-Time Greatest Receiver in Gamecock history. I think Brian Scott had just as much to do with the two bowl victories as did Petty, if not more.

I don't think bowl victories or number of wins can be used to fairly judge the greatest players because it is a team game. There is no way of saying or knowing if that one player was the determining factor in the team winning or losing.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #37
Spur
Household Name

Male

Best Football Thread: Award given for starting the best football related thread - Given for: starting the best football thread of 2005 (post pics that get you excited) Non-Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best non-football related poster - Given for: being voted the best non-football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 513
Spur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock History
What is ironic is that during most of Phil Petty's playing days the majority of the fans didn't even think he was the best QB on the team, much less ever.
Even starting his senior season there was grumblings that we might could even compete for a championship if we had an above average QB.

My opinion is that Petty was effective, actually very effective. And that is one key to being a great QB. But I think he lacked in the other main components of being a QB. He had a huge heart and would doing anything for Carolina.Phil was good at not doing anything that would lose any games for us but rarely, if ever, did he win any on his own merit either.
Petty was by means not a great athletic QB but he was not horrible either at throwing the ball.

His throws in some timely situations were quite impressive.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #38
mickeyrivers
Game MVP

Male

mickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mickeyrivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
That's it GH. He was a smart, ball control style QB. He also has more bowl victories than any other QB in Gamecock history.
it's not steve tanneyhill's (or ellis or whoever's) fault he didn't play under lou holtz, with a charlie strong defense behind him, and all that talent than petty had surrounding him.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #39
garnetknight
Analog Time Keeper

Male

garnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot materialgarnetknight is USC mascot material

Petty Gets My Vote.The Way He Performed In The Game Aganst Bama And Tyler Watts In 2001: Year Of The Gamecocks! DVD On The Way Cocky :-) And Ill Have 2006 In The Morning! , Wooohoooooooooo!!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #40
Lil Jerry Seinfeld
The One and Only

Male

Lil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudly

Alex Riley gives us a look back on the men who helped shape the USC program

By Alex Riley, Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Long before people such as Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb hit the scene, Jeff Grantz had already showed what a "quarterback who can run" looked like. His footwork and arm strength made him one of the most beloved Gamecock players of all time.

Veteran Gamecock sportscaster Bob Fulton called Grantz "the best all-around athlete that Carolina's ever seen."

"He was an excellent football player, he could have been on the basketball team if he'd had the time, and he was an excellent baseball player." Fulton said. "He pulled a lot of games out of the fire. He was tough, a real team leader."

A native of Bel Air, Md., Grantz came to Columbia in 1972 with the promise of being able to play a varsity sport on a full rid scholarship, no matter which sport he chose.

"Coach Dietzel, who coached football and was the athletic director at the time, was actually the only person to offer me the opportunity to play both sports from the beginning of my career, throughout," Grantz said. "Actually he offered me an and/or scholarship to where I could play football, baseball or both. In other words, if things didn't work out in football, I could drop off and play just baseball."

Luckily for Gamecock fans, they both worked out.

Grantz finished his stellar Gamecock career behind only Tommy Suggs as the second-best career passing leader with 3,440 yards through the air and 26 touchdowns. Today, Grantz is No. 7 on the career list. When he left USC in 1975, he sat in the top 10 of career rushing yards with 1,577 and another 26 touchdowns. Today, he sits at No. 20.

"(Running and throwing are) a great luxury to have," Grantz said. "Fortunately for me, I had the gift of some speed coming up through my college career. We did a lot of things that revolved around an athletic quarterback. We ran the veer, a sprint out passing attack, a lot (of) the offense was designed around a running quarterback."

While he will always be known as a quarterback, Grantz shined with his feet and his arm. He owns three passing plays of 60 yards or more in the Carolina record book, but it was a game in 1973 against Ohio that showcased his footwork. Grantz posted a 260-yard performance against Ohio, the best rushing performance by a Gamecock until 1991, when Brandon Bennett posted a 278-yard day against East Tennessee State.

The best season with Grantz at the helm came in 1975 when some of USC's most historic football moments took place. He received a huge supportive showing from his backfield, as USC posted the second duo of running backs in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards each. Kevin Long (1,133) and Clarence Williams (1,073) posted 1,000-yard campaigns, while Grantz added almost another 500 yards on the ground.

While the statistics were historic, so was the season finale, as USC squared off with Clemson for bowl eligibility.

After losing to N.C. State on the road in a tight ball game, USC returned home and never gained the upper hand against Appalachian State, allowing a 39-34 upset.

"Going into (the Clemson game), it was real important we won that game to be bowl eligible," Grantz said. "The coaches put together a great game plan for us. (The coaches) came up with this scheme that really put pressure on their defensive backs and, to be honest with you, the defensive backfield of Clemson never could adjust to that motion and never could cover the right person."

The result was a drubbing 56-20 of the Tigers, as Grantz threw for five scores and ran for another. The Gamecocks won so easily they never punted or kicked a field goal all day.

"That was about as perfect of an offensive performance as you could hope for," Grantz said.

Grantz's senior season concluded with a 7-4 record and a berth in the Tangerine Bowl, USC's first bowl bid since 1969.

"The bowl game was definitely a great thing for us," Grantz said. "That was our goal from our freshman year on. Our goal was to go to a bowl game. We had just missed that my sophomore year at 7-4. Our senior year with a new coach, we didn't really have any idea what would happen with that. But everything fell into place. It was just a great culmination to my career."

USC was matched up with a Miami of Ohio team that featured a handful of players that would later play in the NFL. The RedHawks won the game 20-7, ending Grantz's football career as a Gamecock.

His success on the college gridiron didn't go unnoticed, as Grantz was selected a Second Team All-American in 1975, and earned spots on the East-West Shrine Game, Japan Bowl and Hula Bowl rosters.

The NFL seemed not to take notice of Grantz's abilities, as the Miami Dolphins drafted him in the 17th round. After rookie mini-camp, he returned to Columbia where he became a graduate assistant for coach Jim Carlen for two years before getting into the business.

"At that time when I was drafted as an athlete, Bob Griese was (the Dolphins) starter, Earl Morall was their backup and Don Strock was their number three," Grantz said. "When I went to the three day rookie camp, I was put in as a receiver some and really didn't feel comfortable. "

While his success was unlike any other at USC, Grantz received one of the most prestigious awards ever given out, being named to the USC All-Century team as the quarterback in 1992 when Carolina celebrated its 100th football anniversary.

Grantz will be imortalized as a quarterback, but also had a successful run as a shortstop for the baseball team, making a trip to the championship game of the College World Series.

Still living in the Columbia, Grantz works for Capital Wine as one of the best known salesmen in the Southeast.