CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
Cockygaming
rabid cock
2k15
Y Formation
Three and Out
TKE226
SanAntonioCock
U-Dub Gamecock
Bowl Talk.... (1222)
What Phases of Our G (1083)
NO BLACKOUT!!!! Or A (1027)
Ugliest uniforms aro (992)
First for everything (983)
2017 Puerto Rico Tip (930)
Cooler and crock pot (825)
**USC Women (3-0) vs (747)
Gamecocks Ranked 28t (728)
Picture (602)
Picture
Gamecocks Ranked 28th in
Bowl Talk....
BE THERE
Will USC Score >21 vs
**USC Women (3-0) vs. Wof
That was Jake’s best game
What Phases of Our Game M
WBB: Any news on BCM?
2019 - Quavaris Crouch

View Poll Results: Who is the First-Team Gamecock QB?
Todd Ellis 88 14.84%
Dutch Elston 1 0.17%
Johnny Gramling 6 1.01%
Jeff Grantz 99 16.69%
Mike Hold 38 6.41%
Phil Petty 99 16.69%
Tommy Suggs 26 4.38%
Steve Taneyhill 225 37.94%
Other 11 1.85%
Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #41
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins
Default Re: All-Time Gamecock Team - QB (Poll)

Great article Lil Jerry! Thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #42
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

All these QB's have good qualities that can be used to make an argument as to them being the best. I've seen most of them play, and loved watching all of them. I didn't see Tommy Suggs play live, but listened to Bob Fulton broadcast EVERY game Tommy played in. I saw Jeff Grantz play several games, and most of the QBs from Grantz on down until present day, I've seen many times. My vote goes to Jeff Grantz. As has been mentioned, he did what needed to be done to win games. He ran like a running back when he needed to, and when he couldn't run, he threw the ball very accurately. He was used to return Kickoffs some, and has a TD on a kickoff return. I saw the game, but don't remember who the opponent was ( thinking NC State ). Had Jeff not been hurt most of his Junior season, I'm convinced he would have been another Hiesman Trophy winner here at USC. ( at least runner up ). Tommy Suggs would be a close second in voting. with Mike Hold and Phil Petty running close behind

About Todd Ellis, I loved the way this guy played football, and I too believe he could have been Soooo much better under a different Coach. Joe Morrison built the Run and Shoot especially for Ellis, and just couldn't seem to get the Offensive Lineman to make that thing run. We were strong, but small, and usually getting shoved around late in the game due to that reason. Todd also went through several Offensive changes in his time here. I remember the R/S offense had a major flaw when we got into the red zone, and most teams played a "Bend don't Break" type Defense against it, and shut us down way too often inside our own 25. Morrison experimented with the I-formation in the red zone due to this, and tweeked this Offense several time over Todds 4 years here, and even changed it during the season. You can't keep switching on and off like that, and expect your QB to get comfortable behind the center.
As for him in the booth,..... I think he makes a great "Sideline" reporter. ( nuff said ).
Old 07-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #43
Cocktane-Man
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talonsCocktane-Man has developed his gaff and talons

Anyone notice this poll has four contenders, while the other three only have two front runners? It looks like we have had some good quarterbacks over the years.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #44
Postman824
Walk On

Postman824 has hatched from the shell

I went with Phil Petty, pretty simple he had 17 wins in two yrs. Did any body else? NO!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #45
Lil Jerry Seinfeld
The One and Only

Male

Lil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudly

I did the same. He had two post-season victories and at many times showed the true heart of a Gamecock. He played hurt but came in when needed in key situations. He kept it clean on and off the field. He grew up a Gamecock and is a Gamecock for life.

Phil Petty got my vote!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #46
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman824
I went with Phil Petty, pretty simple he had 17 wins in two yrs. Did any body else? NO!
Good one. No you're right, but Tommy Suggs should get some high consideration as well. He was the QB for the ACC Championship team, and was the only QB in the school's history that never suffered a loss against Clemson.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #47
mickeyrivers
Game MVP

Male

mickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot materialmickeyrivers is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mickeyrivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman824
you think phil petty would have won 17 games in 2 years under brad scott or sparky woods?

by that logic, lou holtz is our greatest coach ever. derek watson is our best running back ever. etc.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #48
CockyHoskins

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material

In an age of pocket passers and high-flying offensive strategy, former Gamecock quarterback Todd Ellis still shines above all other USC passers as the career leader with the numbers to back it up.

When Ellis graduated from USC in 1989, he left behind a legacy of almost every record a quarterback could have. His 9,953 career yards are still good enough for the career best by a Gamecock passer. His .553 completion percentage is still third best, while his 49 career touchdowns places him at the second all-time of any position.

He holds numerous spots in the single-game passing, attempts and completions records, while his 3,206 yards in 1987 is the best ever by a Carolina quarterback in a single season. Twenty-five games with more than 200 yards passing, including a 425-yard performance against East Carolina in 1987, highlight Ellis' numbers sprinkled throughout the USC record book.

"We were on the cutting edge with the 'run and shoot,'" Ellis said. "I just got the opportunities to make the throws."

But there was more to the success of the Greensboro, N.C., native than just his numbers. Ellis took on a system under the late coach Joe Morrison that allowed him to shine in Columbia and nationally.

After the Black Magic season of 1984, the USC faithful were looking for a leader to guide them back to national prominence, and they got just that with Ellis.

"There were a couple of reasons (I chose USC): Number one, it was the time Carolina was coming off its 10-2 season, the Black Magic season and the national exposure had never been higher down here," Ellis said. "The fan base was (at its best here), and support was not going to be a problem. We played a great independent schedule back then. We got to play the Georgias, Nebraskas and Miamis, and even though we weren't in a conference, we got to play on a national level."

Back-to-back 8-4 seasons were the best two-year run by any Gamecock teams until the 2000 and 2001 campaigns, and Ellis' 23 victories under center leave him as the winningest field general in USC history.

"The number of victories, no one has ever won more games in their career than I have. That's probably what I'm most proud of," Ellis said.

Two of the biggest wins with Ellis at the helm came during that two-year run. In 1987, USC and Clemson both arrived in Columbia as top-20 teams, but the Gamecocks dominated in a 20-7 win against the Tigers.

"Danny Ford would call that game the one time his team was intimidated," Ellis said.

The following season, Ellis brought sixth-ranked Georgia to their knees, as Robert Brooks corralled a one-handed, over-the-shoulder touchdown from Ellis to highlight a 23-10 win against the Bulldogs.

One of the biggest influences on Ellis' success came from the man who brought him to Carolina, coach Morrison.

"He was a man's man," Ellis said. "He expected you to act like a man, he told you what needed to be done, and if didn't get it done, it was partly your problem. He was a tough competitor and a man you wanted to play for."

Along with Morrison's guidance, Ellis lined up with three of the biggest offensive stars to rise out of the Carolina program. Wide receivers Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks, along with running back Harold Green, allowed Ellis to run multifaceted and deadly offense.

"There was nobody better than those guys," Ellis said. "Sterling Sharpe built himself like Robert Brooks did, through hard work into being great players. I think the most natural athlete was Harold Green. Harold came in and was capable of busting runs against anybody at any time when he was a freshman and was just an incredible athlete. The work ethic of Sterling and Robert is what made them great players, and we fit in perfectly. I respect those players today more for their work ethic than their overall skills."

While Ellis was surrounded by some of the finest names to play at Carolina, his accolades don't lie. In 1986, Ellis earned a spot on The Sporting News's All-America Second Team and Freshmen First Team, followed by an AP All-America honorable mention in 1987. He also managed a strong run at the Heisman Trophy, while shattering numerous NCAA records.

Ellis also guided USC back to national glory, taking the Gamecocks to back-to-back bowl berths in the 1987 Gator Bowl and 1988 Liberty Bowl, while rising as high as the top five in the national polls.

"It was a thrill to be a part of that and get some national exposure at times," Ellis said. "At certain times we were ranked in the top five and consistently stayed around the top 25. That's what its all about. You don't come here to be mediocre, you want to go to bowl games, and you want to win."

After finishing his college career, Ellis was selected by the Denver Broncos in the ninth round of the NFL draft. But being behind two 10-year league veterans, one being Hall of Famer John Elway, put the Broncos in a tight spot, dropping Ellis from the roster before the season opener. After a short stint in the World League, Ellis returned to Columbia with his wife to attend law school. He has become a successful attorney in the Columbia area.

Ellis has not lost his love for the game and team that made him a hero. While he wears a suit to court Monday through Friday, Saturday's are reserved for a more garnet-and-black look, as Ellis serves as radio announcer for Gamecock football.

"I love the feel of being around the program," Ellis said. "I got the best seat in the house now. It is a great thrill for me to come back to call the games at Williams-Brice. And to go see the best football in the country and to try to convey to the listeners how good it is to be a Gamecock, there's nothing else like it."

http://www.dailygamecock.com/media/p...s-964399.shtml
Old 07-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #49
PeeCock
Walk On

CockyCash: 540
PeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talonsPeeCock has developed his gaff and talons

Todd Ellis? Do you mean "Mr. Interception?" I went round-and-round with a few guys on one of the other boards about him a few weeks ago. They thought his you-know-what didn't stink. Not sure why, unless all they were looking strictly at were the number of yards he passed for. JC, I could pass for that many yards if I threw the ball 3 out of every 4 downs! Here's the kicker: In 3 3/4 years (he went down in game 8 with an injury against NC State in his Senior year), Ellis threw 73 interceptions!! He literally threw for more interceptions in his career than he did TD passes. And some of these AHs want to retire his number! For what? Costing us who-knows-how-many wins over the course of his career by throwing to the opposition? Do the math. Having thrown that many INTs, he ALONE is responsible for almost 2 turnovers per game for every game he ever played in! Any running back who fumbled the ball twice in a game would find his a$$ on the bench after the second game in which he did it. Compared to Taneyhill, Ellis' records are a joke. Best passing QB: Taneyhill. Best overall QB: No contest - Grantz!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #50
CockyHoskins

Male

Reminds me of a joke about Todd. Some of you old schoolers probably remember it.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #51
Lant
Pretty Fly Old Guy

Male

CockyCash: 281885
Lant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Ranger
Statistically Tanneyhill was the best QB that we have ever had. He also had that cocky attitude that we need. That is why I think he is the best we have ever had.
That was my exact thought
Old 08-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #52
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

I went with Taneyhill, but I almost went with Ellis. Taneyhill had a fight in him that I've never seen in a Gamecock QB. Others may have had it, but Taneyhill exuded it.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #53
uscjethro
Walk On

uscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his combuscjethro is developing his comb

my first post. here it goes boys. can't agree with the voting thus far on this question, ... Tanneyhill over a Mike Hold. Todd Ellis or Jeff Grantz ??? I guess I remember a time prior to the 90's and Holtz era. Can't agree with you guys on this one.

Mike Hold might not have put up the high flying passing stats, but he was a leader, a general, and one games against far greater obstacles than UCF and Troy.

Jethro
Old 08-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #54
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjethro
my first post. here it goes boys. can't agree with the voting thus far on this question, ... Tanneyhill over a Mike Hold. Todd Ellis or Jeff Grantz ??? I guess I remember a time prior to the 90's and Holtz era. Can't agree with you guys on this one.

Mike Hold might not have put up the high flying passing stats, but he was a leader, a general, and one games against far greater obstacles than UCF and Troy.

Jethro
You may be right Jethro. Hold and Allen Mitchell were the first QB's I saw at Carolina. I thought they both made some special plays. I've heard the stories of Grantz from my family. If I had some video on him, I've got a feeling he would have been my pick.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #55
gettcocky
Walk On

gettcocky has hatched from the shell

about Ellis

granted he chunked a buttload of INT'S, and he always seemed to melt under pressure..but at the end of his career he was playing his best ball..too bad he went down with the knee injury in 89. With one offensive system instead of 3 0r 4..and a little patience...he could've been the best ever
Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #56
Mobile Ranger
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 401
Mobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to Mobile Ranger Send a message via MSN to Mobile Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Mobile Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lant
That was my exact thought
He also beat Tennesse, in Tennese! Tanneyhill is the best, hands down.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #57
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot materialGamecock History is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Ranger
He also beat Tennesse, in Tennese! Tanneyhill is the best, hands down.
I wish that was true. But actually, we have only beat Tennessee twice, once in 1903 and in 1992, both times in Columbia.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #58
spur-ier1
Walk On

Male

spur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his comb

i was surprised to see everybody bashing todd ellis. when i opposed him earlier, i got blasted. where were all the ellis suicide jokes a couple days ago?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #59
Ol' Bald Coach
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 825
Ol' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talonsOl' Bald Coach has developed his gaff and talons

Jeff Grantz... Not a straight drop back passer but could hurt you with his arm as well as his legs. Left it all on the field.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 AM   #60
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2754220
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

What about good old A1. He's the only USC QB that has actually had any sort of career as a QB at the pro level, granted he is a yearly backup, but he's still among the elite players in the world. Until I looked at the media guide this year I didn't realize he actually had some pretty good humbers here.