CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spur's Addiction
MountainCock
Canefaninsc
Blitzkrieg
thekob
carolina_corpsman
TastyLicks
kick_ball
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Scott Frost will coa (884)
VERY interesting. E (833)
Bowl Practice (637)
tv refresh rate for (290)
USC Bowl pick plus a (0)
2018 - Channing Tindall
USC Bowl pick plus all ot
VERY interesting. ESPN p
2018 - KJ Henry
Scott Frost will coach UC
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex
tv refresh rate for 4k fl
Destiny 2
107.5 is terrible

View Poll Results: Who is the best of these Gamecock RBs?
Brandon Bennett 82 15.92%
Harold Green 144 27.96%
Steve Wadiak 42 8.16%
Thomas Dendey 11 2.14%
Duce Staley 217 42.14%
Johnny Wright 5 0.97%
Kent Haygood 14 2.72%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
USCKEN
THE AzzKickinChicken

Male

Best USC Fan 2005: Award given to the best fan for 2005 - Given for: being voted the best USC fan of 2005 
CockyCash: 200
USCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot material
Default Re: All-Time Gamecock Team - RB (Poll)

Could stanley pritchett be in this also? Bennet and pritchett was a good duo!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #22
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins

Pritchett was good, but I don't think anyone can make a legitimate argument that he is the 2nd best RB we ever had.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
CockyHoskins

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material

Bennett hopes experience in NFL plays in his favor

Former Riverside High and University of South Carolina running back Brandon Bennett believes that youth is wasted on the young.

After entering the NFL in 1995, Bennett spent six seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. He played with Tampa Bay briefly last season before signing with the Carolina Panthers in October.

Now a free agent, Bennett, 32, is getting the senior citizen treatment, as teams audition their fresh talent.

"It's a young man's game," Bennett said. "They can get a bunch of rookies and hope that one of them pans out to do something that I do. And they come out so much cheaper."

"Age shouldn't have anything to do with it," Bennett's former Panthers teammate Stephen Davis, 31, said when asked if his age would keep him from returning from a knee injury.

"Thirty is what (the media) has set as the age," he said. "It can still be done. Age is nothing."

Base salary for an NFL rookie is $230,000. The floor raises with each year in the league. A player who has played seven to nine seasons has a base salary of over $600,000.

"Teams are going to see if they can get some productivity out of the younger guys before they start forking out money for the veteran guys," Bennett said. "It's kind of hard. Before, I always knew I was going to be at camp and with the same team. Now, there is no certainty about anything."

Bennett has faith in his agent that he will land a team. Bennett has been with the same agent not only his entire career, but his entire life -- older brother Braylon, an agent for Vortex Sports and Entertainment.

"We've been hearing some positive feedback from people inquiring about his overall health, conditioning, and everything," Braylon Bennett said. "It's also a right place-right time thing. With the salary restraints of him being a tenured veteran, it just takes a little more time for teams to come to grips with their roster and cap space."

Brandon said that having Braylon as an agent has been the best possible situation.

"You get the real scoop," Brandon said. "A lot of agents try to sugar coat everything, because they don't want to hurt the player or lose the player. Whereas, my brother will just tell it like it is. If I need to do something, he'll tell me I need to do it."

The no-nonsense approach has kept Bennett productive. He finished his USC career as one of three Gamecocks to lead the team in rushing all four years. Bennett had to muscle his way into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. In 82 NFL games, he has compiled 4,575 all-purpose yards with eight total touchdowns.

"He came into this league hard," Braylon said. "He didn't come in behind a high draft pick or a pushy rookie contract. He came in the hard way and had to earn every year that he's stayed in the league."

"I've been in the league going on 10 years. That speaks for itself," Brandon said. "It's productivity, longevity, and ability. I've started kickoff, kickoff return and punt return on every team that I was with. Just knowing that I can play on this level -- I've been there."

Although Brandon has received a good word from several teams during the waiting process, there is one word that he hates to hear -- "BUT ..."

"You have to deal with (teams saying), 'Well, Brandon Bennett, he's 32 years old. He's been productive, BUT,'" he said. "Before it was just who is the best player. If you could play, you played. "You run into a lot of mind games that can aggravate you about it. If we could just get out there and play ball, it'll be all good."

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...12/1002/SPORTS
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #24
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

Duce Staley was the best I saw in person at USC. Green and Bennett were good, but Staley had that special style, like Sharpe at receiver. You saw him run and you knew he was headed for greatness. I'd put Bennett after Staley, but I'm biased since we went to the same highschool.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #25
Lil Jerry Seinfeld
The One and Only

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudlyLil Jerry Seinfeld is crowing loudly

Tom Price, Gamecock historian, wrote in his book "Tales from the Gamecock Roost": "Gamecocks are known for their courage in battle and willingness to fight to the death."

If that statement holds true, Ryan Brewer was destined to wear garnet and black.

Brewer, a native of Troy, Ohio, arrived at Carolina with a list of credentials that included being tabbed as Mr. Football for the state of Ohio. But his 5-foot-10-inch, 210-pound frame didn't impress the home state, nor did it impress his favorite school, Notre Dame.

Brewer didn't get a shot with the Fighting Irish; instead he got a chance to play with one of their legendary leaders.

"It was all about coach Holtz," Brewer said. "I was a big Notre Dame fan. When I heard he was coming here, I didn't know much about South Carolina living in Ohio. I decided to go somewhere where someone wants me."

Brewer's first season was less than sparkling, as USC failed to win a single contest in the infamous 21-loss stretch.

Then came 2000 - and the biggest turnaround in SEC history.

The Gamecocks got back on track while Brewer quietly helped USC along. The running game of Derek Watson and Andrew Pinnock dominated the ground, while Brian Scott and Jermale Kelly took hold of the air attack. Brewer had nice games of more than 50 yards on the ground and through the air but nothing for the "highlight reel."

Then Tennessee came calling.

With the game tied 7-7, quarterback Phil Petty hit Brewer for a 78-yard touchdown pass that would give USC the lead late in the third.

Despite the heroics of the 15th-longest passing play in USC history, the Gamecocks fell to the Vols and ended the season with a 7-4 record and trip to the Outback Bowl to face Ohio State.

Things looked bleak for the Gamecocks, as Watson was suspended from the game for team policy violations, leaving the running game without an experienced back.

Holtz had to implement a new running back alongside Pinnock's bruising power. Brewer stepped up for the job, not only to run the ball, but to prove to his home state they had missed an opportunity.

The rest might as well be legend in USC football lore.

Brewer took hold of the ground game, rushing for 106 yards and two scores, while catching three passes for 92 yards and another score, as USC cruised past the Buckeyes, 24-7.

"The game meant a lot to me playing Ohio State," Brewer said. "It also gave me a chance to play running back. I got a bunch of touches on the ball, and I could actually show what I could do. I figured I might as well take advantage of it. It was exciting being in that limelight for a little bit, against a team I knew I had to prove something to."
The man considered "undersized" by his home state scampered his way to 219 yards and Outback Bowl MVP honors.

Not only did he outplay the Buckeyes, but after being grabbed by the facemask in the fourth quarter, Brewer proceeded to flip a Buckeye player over his head after reaching the end zone.

Brewer shined once again in 2002, as he made an acrobatic snag from Georgia defensive back Bruce Thorton. Thorton had been beaten the year before in Athens, when Scott grabbed a 16-yard touchdown pass from Petty to upset the Bulldogs at home, 14-9.

This time around, Brewer latched on to a 23-yard pass from Corey Jenkins to pull Carolina within striking distance, 13-7. A late-game fumble ended a would-be comeback but left Brewer with 106 yards receiving.

"It seems like every year we give Georgia a run for their money, if not beat them," Brewer said. "He had great coverage on me. It was an out-and-up, Corey decided to throw it up. It was just a 'who-wanted-it-more.' It came down, and I just grabbed the ball. It was one of those surreal things that you don't realize it until it's done."

That game made him one of only three players in Gamecock history to have 100-yard receiving and rushing games.

Brewer left Carolina as the No. 8 receiver all-time, totaling 1,136 yards and five touchdowns on 107 receptions. He came close to tying the legendary Sterling Sharpe for consecutive games with a reception, finishing three shy of the record with 31.

"I just like the fact that you can put me anywhere on the field," Brewer said. "The fact that I can go out and help the team in any way possible is what I wanted to do."

Though an ankle injury slowed him during his senior campaign, Brewer led the Gamecocks in 2002 with 28 catches for 299 yards.

He also stood out on special teams, leading the punt-return category for his fourth-straight season.

Brewer earned Verizon Academic All-America honors and was named to the Hula Bowl in 2002 alongside fellow USC receiver James Adkisson.

The NFL didn't come knocking on draft day, but a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens allowed Brewer a short professional career. The Ravens sent Brewer to NFL Europe in hopes he would be ready for the next season. But Brewer proved that no matter where he goes, he is a winner, as his team won the World Bowl.

"I was with the Baltimore Ravens for the preseason until the last cut," Brewer said. "Ended up going to Europe to the Rein Fire and got traded to Berlin for the last four games. And Berlin won the World Bowl."

With football behind him, Brewer has settled down in Columbia with his wife and started a business. But even with his passion for the game, Brewer says he wouldn't change a thing.

"I met my wife here. I have tons of friends now," Brewer said. "I have no regrets of what I did. I had a great time. That's pretty much all you can ask for."

http://www.dailygamecock.com/media/p...r-967414.shtml
Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #26
spur-ier1
Walk On

Male

spur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his combspur-ier1 is developing his comb

I was also surprised to see duce winning although he was a great back and continues to have great success with the eagles. harold green was the best, but why was rogers not on the list?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #27
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 999980500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Read the first post on this thread, Spur-1. This is for every back except #38, the obvious first choice. Kevin Long is my sentimental pick, but I'm going with Bennett.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #28
cockyPI1
Walk On

Male

cockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudlycockyPI1 is crowing loudly

I liked watching Duce run, he was fast, strong and smart, and he could catch a pass.. plus he had a cool name, on that sounds good when 80,000+ are yelling...

the tigers suck
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #29
kickenChicken
Walk On

kickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot materialkickenChicken is USC mascot material

How can we leav tory hambrick off the list
Old 01-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #30
CockyHoskins

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur-ier1
I was also surprised to see duce winning although he was a great back and continues to have great success with the eagles. harold green was the best, but why was rogers not on the list?
As D-Way said, Rogers is the automatic #1 considering he won the Heisman.

This is for the other spot in a 22-man All-Time Roster.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
bgallup
Two Deep

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 2nd place 
CockyCash: 6230
bgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot materialbgallup is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to bgallup

Rob Debour and Ryan Brewer may not of had the talent as some of these guys but they had more Heart then all of them combined
Old 01-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #32
mamacock
Walk On

mamacock has hatched from the shell

Whatever happened to Boo Williams? He started the oooooooooo's with Boooooooooo which led to the uuuuuuuu's with Duuuuuuuuuuce!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #33
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacock
Whatever happened to Boo Williams? He started the oooooooooo's with Boooooooooo which led to the uuuuuuuu's with Duuuuuuuuuuce!
He got into some legal trouble after his playing days. He was a good kick returner too.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #34
Sea Bass
Walk On

Male

Sea Bass has hatched from the shell

Bennett
Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #35
SangareeCrew
Berkeley County Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 2248
SangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot materialSangareeCrew is USC mascot material

I had to go with Dendey.....suprised to see he's not getting more love in this poll!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #36
Dr. Gonzo
Walk On

Male

Dr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talonsDr. Gonzo has developed his gaff and talons

Brandon Bennett kicked a$$ and took names.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #37
cht4usc
Walk On

cht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his combcht4usc is developing his comb

No problem here Harold Green.
Spurrier said McGee "originally offered too much," although neither would disclose the amount. McGee said the difference was in six figures, adding Spurrier asked that it go toward his assistant's salaries.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #38
Kung Pao
Walk On

Male

Kung Pao has hatched from the shell

Quinton Lewis
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #39
IHateOrange
I really hate clemson

Male

IHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to IHateOrange

Duce.... very nice guy I might add

TATER HATER 4 LIFE!

Memo to Lane Kiffin: Seven Gamecocks were selected in the 2009 NFL Draft, delaying any possible careers at the gas station.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #40
Scranton Tiger
Jedi Master

Male

Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material

I voted for Harold Green. I know that Staley will probably win this poll, and he was and is an outstanding back for sure. I just think Green was just as good receiving as he was running.
Closed Thread