CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
kingofnerf
Blitzkrieg
Regalcock
Flameout12
BarnyardBoss
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
AR1
Greyrooster
Can the Browns be sa (613)
Official 10/21 games (577)
Bye week VENT THREAD (386)
Alshon, Clowney & (254)
NFL: PANTHERS @ BEA (77)
What A Sight (72)
NFL: BENGALS @ STEEL (70)
NFL: FALCONS @ PATR (65)
NFL: BRONCOS @ CHARG (65)
NFL: REDSKINS @ EAGL (63)
Name a Gamecock
College Football 2017
Bye week VENT THREAD
What A Sight
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
Georgia State University
2018 WBB - Christyn Willi
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Can the Browns be salvage
Alshon, Clowney & DJ

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default COCKYTALK PRACTICE REPORT: 8/7/11

COCKYTALK PRACTICE REPORT: 8/7/11

Well guys, the team didn’t exactly get back on full track tonight and look the way they did during the first couple of practices, but it wasn’t a disastrous workout either. The team came out in full uniform tonight, but there were still minus the knee pads and leg armor, so even though the intensity of contact was raised somewhat, there was still no full tackling just yet. They’ll probably start with the full pads and contact during the next practice. A few players stepped up tonight that had been struggling previously, like Jason Barnes and Lamar Scruggs. On the offensive line, Brandon Shell who had the heat related issues after yesterday’s workout, was in the yellow jersey tonight and not running drills at all. I reported yesterday in answer to someone’s question about AJ Cann, and I said that he had been struggling as well. Tonight, Cann got some work with the second unit line at Left Guard and made the most of it, having his best practice of the early going. Of the quarterbacks tonight, Stephen Garcia wasn’t back on his best form, but Connor Shaw had his best workout of the first full week of practice. He and Jason Barnes connected several times during the one on ones and Skels. Barnes who seemed to be destined to ride the bench most of the season due to poor concentration and lots of dropped passes, rebounded and made a couple of spectacular receptions in tight coverage, as well as some nice moves during his routes to get space form the DB. With tonight’s work, Barnes is back in the running for making the two deep chart before the start of the season, if he can continue what he started tonight. Lamar Scuggs who had been quiet most of the week, made several nice catches tonight to save some QBs from looking real bad. With our WRs having a very deep talent pool this season, it is going to be hard to find PT for a lot of these guys like Scruggs and Nick Jones, and Bruce Ellington who have made some good plays during the first week, but too few of them, but I’m sure with the competition among the receivers being what it is, the ones who settle in as our starters and second unit guys should be very solid with little loss of talent and speed when the starters are out of the game, and the 2s are in.
Coach Butler stepped up the intensity level with his portion of practice tonight, working on punt blocking and punt coverage drills. Earlier in the workout, during field goal practice Jay Wooten again was the kicker chosen to go through the speed drill where they start on the 20 (30 yard FG) and kick from the right hash mark, then move back 5 yards each kick, switching from one hash mark to the other side as they go back in distance. This is done very quickly with the teams lining up, getting ready and snapping for the kick. Jay was absolutely on fire drilling almost every kick down the middle. I don’t think he missed a single FG, and his last attempt was a 52 yarder just so coach Butler could see his range, and he bounced it off the right upright for a miss. Otherwise, it was an impressive round of kicks.

During the one on ones tonight, there was some early dropped passes by Ace Sanders and DeAngelo Smith that should have been caught, but on his second rep, Connor Shaw hooked up with Jason Barnes for a deep fade route that Barnes went up and took from Akeem Auguste, and that seemed to get Shaw and Barnes going for the night. Garcia had a couple of short completions to the underneath guys, but some of his deeper throws were off the mark tonight. He did make one really nice throw to Lamar Scruggs to the right sideline on a deep out route. Other than that one, Garcia seemed a little off on the timing tonight mainly overthrowing some receivers that were open. Shaw got the hot hand early and at one point right before the end of the drill, coach Spurrier got him to stay up for three consecutive plays (usually they switch off after each throw). Shaw would have made it 3 out of 3 had Ace Sanders not dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers on the last rep there. Of the guys behind Shaw and Garcia, there were a couple of really well thrown passes by Dylan Thompson, one in particular to Jason Barnes who made a nice stop and go move to get behind his man, and Dylan delivered a nice 30+ yard strike to Barnes running up the right sideline.

When the team moved over for Skels, Shaw started out the way he left the one on one, but ended the drill with a few “not so good looking plays” having to pull the ball down and run with it a couple of times, and threw one out of bounds because nothing was open at the time. That I can remember, there were not deep passes thrown during the Skels and 11 on 11 later, as most of the plays were called runs, and shorter routes like crosses and slants. Still, Garcia seemed to be struggling to find the range on some of his passes here, overthrowing Shon Carson early in the skels on the wheel route that he had thrown so well early in the week to both Carson and Ellington. Tonight’s attempt to hit that play ended in Carson blowing by the coverage to get open, but having the ball sail over his head about 10 yards or so. It continued going south for Garcia as on his next rep, he went back to pass and the ball slipped out of his hand. He too, had to pull the ball down and run a couple of times as the defense seemed to have the receivers covered well during the skels tonight. Stephen did find the range on some of the shorter crossing routes and checkdowns, but it was another off day for Garcia. Still time to regain the form though before the season starts. During the 7 on 7 all of the QBs seemed to have trouble finding open receivers downfield and a several of those, the play fell apart, or the QBs tried to gain a few yards running before going out of bounds. Seems like maybe the defense rose to the occasion tonight most of the time.

As the team ran 11 on 11 to end the practice, again the coaches seemed to concentrate more on running plays and shorter passes. This seemed to be Shaws worse part of the evening, not being quiet as sharp with his throws as he was during the 1 on 1s and Skels. Could be in part to the fact that this is where Jadeveon Clowney gets to get reps and seemed to be in the backfield rushing the QBs a lot. One of the loudest hits of the night was when the offense ran a sprint draw with Marcus Lattimore, and Clowney happened to read it well, and stepped into the gap that Marcus ran into. Clowney stood Marcus up and held him there as the whistle blew. The two kind of looked at each other for the moment as if Clowney was shocked he had made the play on Marcus like that, and Marcus shocked he had been stopped cold by Anybody ! Out of all the linemen Clowney was matched up against tonight, Kyle Nunn (the starting left Tackle) seemed to have contained him the best. He and Clowney went head to head twice, and it was the only time of the night, JC didn’t get around the lineman to get a clean run at the QB or RB. Rok Watkins didn’t seem to have anything for him like Will Sport for most of the week. Marcus did make a couple of really nice runs tonight during the full team drill, as did the two freshmen backs (Carson and Wilds). I’m not sure both these guy will end up playing this season, but both are turning in some good performances and showing some amazing speed out of the backfield as the practices go along. I think one of these two will end up redshirting as it will be almost impossible to give meaning full reps this season with Marcus, Kenny Miles, and then more than one other. If I had to make a guess right now, I’d say Wilds will RS, but it would be a close decision right now. Carson seems to have the better hands out of the backfield giving him a slight edge.

One funny note to leave on. During the Skels, Demario Jeffery was standing on the near sidelines with Akeem Auguste, and Antonio Allen, waiting to go back in on his unit’s reps. For some reason he and coach Mangus started talking smack to each other yelling out loud enough for the crowd to hear. D Jeff told him he needed to find another play over there (after Vic Hampton batted the ball away from KJ Brent), that’s what got them going. Coach Mangus said he noticed that when he (D Jeff) was in earlier, his man caught the pass over there. D Jeff said it was because he had to cover up for someone else who missed their man and laughed. Coach Mangus then told him He noticed that right after his man caught the ball a while ago, is when his coach sent him over to the sidelines. He told D Jeff he needed to be quiet and get used to being out of the game. The both laughed at that one along with the fans listening to them go at it.

Hopefully the sharpness of the QBs and Wide receivers will return during the next practice. The last two have been a little off for those guys after what was a very good first couple of days to start the fall workouts. We’ll see.

Later

Last edited by Spurticus; 08-07-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
gamecockphilip
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1450
gamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPit
Default Re: COCKYTALK PRACTICE REPORT: 8/7/11

tl;dr

jk, thanks man
Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

CockyCash: 500
JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Nice report as usual. You sure you have the numbers correct on O line? The TBS updates the last few nights have had Cann working at 1st team LG.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

Thanks Spurticus, been waiting on this :) You are the MAN!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Excellent report and thanks again Spurt!

I'm hoping (and thinking) that the offense will get back on track this week. I'm sure they've just hit an early lull and they'll pull through. I'm still focused on the offensive line. There's still some concern from me on that front, and I hope they get it straightened out soon. They have about four weeks to get it figured out and I think they will.

If practice is open tomorrow, I may find myself out there. I haven't been to one yet and I'm really anxious to get out there.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Sounds like typical first week of practice stuff. Its alot different feeling when you put the pads on. Gotta get back to life in shells.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Herbie3
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 4520
Herbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot material

Spurt some of those bad throws tonight, is any of it poor route running by the WR's?

Thanks for the report. I'll hang-up and listen.

Last edited by Herbie3; 08-07-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Yankee Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 26001129
Yankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
Nice report as usual. You sure you have the numbers correct on O line? The TBS updates the last few nights have had Cann working at 1st team LG.

From everything i saw at practice on Sautrday, Nunn was getting the reps at Lt.

Last edited by Yankee Gamecock; 08-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: i meant LT not LG. Long day and its just began.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Gamecock View Post
From everything i saw at practice on Sautrday, Nunn was getting the reps at LG.
Ah. I'm guessing they moved them around quite a bit, since it was mentioned that Watkins has been getting plays at LT as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

If Nunn was getting reps at LG, who was getting the reps at LT?

I know Coach Elliott has said that Shell is working at LT, so could it have been him?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
clemson sucks
Hot Take Maker

Male

CockyCash: 2477208
clemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to clemson sucks

I would be much more worried if the QB's were missing the shorter routes. They have time to get adjusted to throwing the longer routes. I imagine that putting on the shoulder pads may be throwing them off a little. Also I bet the receivers will start to gain their focus soon. Good report Spurt.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
snoopy
Blue Chip

snoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurs

Thanks for the report. I look forward to it each day.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
Shep
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29235087
Shep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot material

Thanks again Spurticus.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

Did some sort of explosion happen when Clowney and Marcus collided? Perhaps the earth titled off its axis just a tad?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

It seems like Coach Elliott is trying out different OL combinations early in practice. It never hurts to try different things to see which combination works best. I'm sure he'll find the top five in a couple of weeks and they'll be ready to roll.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #16
stonecutter357
But Anyway.....

Male

CockyCash: 16551065
stonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot materialstonecutter357 is USC mascot material

Another great report. This is much needed because we got virtually no tweets tonight. Thanks Spurt!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
Yankee Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 26001129
Yankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spursYankee Gamecock has earned his spurs

I edited my original post. I meant that nunn was working at LT not LG. My night is just starting and its already looking like a long one.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
braves29690
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
braves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPitbraves29690 rules the CockPit

Thanks Spurt! Whose doing the best out of the db's? And do u think any of the young db's will play? Like martay mattox or sheldon royster

-Brett Favre
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
A-Town_Cock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
A-Town_Cock has earned his spursA-Town_Cock has earned his spursA-Town_Cock has earned his spursA-Town_Cock has earned his spursA-Town_Cock has earned his spursA-Town_Cock has earned his spurs

Plenty of time left to get things in gear.

Thanks for the reports.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
Shep
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29235087
Shep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot material

Sounds like it was a little better than yesterday's practice at least. Oh, and I agree with your assessment of Carson getting a little playing time, and Wilds redshirting. That is my prediction as well.
Closed Thread