CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
TastyLicks
Spur's Addiction
donbgamecock
GoldenSpur7
2k15
The Yancey
gotrice?
GeoCocky66
rabid cock
More Bad News For Fl (865)
Huge Event on Monday (619)
Kent State fires str (494)
Rollcall! : NC State (432)
Best tv antenna (309)
MBB 21st in national (196)
Fantasy Football 201 (159)
Premier League 2017-2018
Home Opener vs UK
2018 Commitment - Jonatha
2018 - Josh Vann - Commit
Huge Event on Monday
Bruce released by the Jet
More Bad News For Florida
Best tv antenna
Rollcall! : NC State
Official Countdown Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #21
HeadCockFan
gold jacket, green jacket

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: EXTEND MARTIN'S CONTRACT TODAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Oprah? How you doing!
I'm rich and stupid.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
HeadCockFan

Male

HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I see what you're saying, but he closed great this year on our two biggest targets. Sure we missed on a few, but that's always gonna happen. Most of those guys we missed on, wanted to stay closer to home. Clifford, Sena and Ellison come to mind.

I also think this is part of the BB recruiting landscape these days. A lot of major programs are still going after guys. Two signing periods and sometimes a good player becomes available late in the process, i.e. coaching changes and transfers. Sounds like we could still sign another player this year.

Considering what CFM walked into, I think he's exceeded expectations in recruiting. Hard to get 4 & 5 stars to come play for a cellar dweller that we were.
I agree with all of this. Closing on your top targets consistently is only something a handful of programs can do. Frank did a 10/10 job this time around.

I think if we offer 10 guys in the top 150 and land 1 and a half on average, we're doing fine. The next step is to bring in 2 or 3, which won't come until we've won a tourney game or two. Then I think our recruiting might hit a big year, with 4 guys in the top 200.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #23
qcgamecock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 99438613414
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'd argue that Shaw, Theus, Ringer, Sheppard, and eventually McKie weren't worth the scholarships. They were more like sign and pray that they pan out. Sure he has had some bad luck such Tarik Phillip, Thad Hall, and James Thompson not coming due to various reasons. But he is still trying to mine for diamonds in the rough late in the signing process. Its like we are scrambling just to fill spots at the very last minute. We step in late in the game and hope we can get a break.

My point is, I want to see Frank start closing more frequently on his 1st choice guys. I don't mind seeing us taking a late flier or two but I'm hoping going forward that we have our class pretty set before the Spring signing period.

Could be unrealistic given all of the attrition Frank's teams have, idk.
I would have thought Thornwell, Stroman and Dozier were 1st choice guys and he closed the deal, if he does that with Woods then he would be batting pretty well on top of the board guys. I think McKie will give us some very good minutes in the coming years and I was impressed by Sheppard in his limited duties, I believe you are incorrect about him not being deserving and whomever he transfers too will get an immediate contributor. I think most would have been very happy with this class if it was just Dozier, Silva and Gregory....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
doubledribble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 101127241
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'd argue that Shaw, Theus, Ringer, Sheppard, and eventually McKie weren't worth the scholarships. They were more like sign and pray that they pan out. Sure he has had some bad luck such Tarik Phillip, Thad Hall, and James Thompson not coming due to various reasons. But he is still trying to mine for diamonds in the rough late in the signing process. Its like we are scrambling just to fill spots at the very last minute. We step in late in the game and hope we can get a break.

My point is, I want to see Frank start closing more frequently on his 1st choice guys. I don't mind seeing us taking a late flier or two but I'm hoping going forward that we have our class pretty set before the Spring signing period.

Could be unrealistic given all of the attrition Frank's teams have, idk.
How realistic are you being? Most 1st choice guys aren't waiting till the spring signing period to sign with a school. Going into this season, Frank knew he only had 2 scholarships available at the end of the season. As the season progressed Henry and Sheppard were dismissed from the team, and Frank saw what this team was missing. That allowed Frank to identify more needs. By this time, Frank has to go with who he knows he can get. Not sure what more you could ask of a guy. Calipari missed on his top 5 guys for this signing class. It happens. Sometimes you miss, and it's part of the game. The guys we have currently and have coming in look to be a pretty solid group of players, arguably the best we've had on campus in a long time. I'm not sure what else you could possibly want from Frank? He's never been a guy that goes out and lands nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits. He's a guy that goes out and finds pieces that fit the puzzle and develops the talent built on a couple high caliber recruits. At USC that is shaping up to be Thornwell and Dozier. Seventh is basically being called a lock at this point. We've seen improvement from the players on campus and in the wins column with an increasingly difficult schedule each year. On top of that we finally beat Clemson... really really bad! The team was invited to play in a post season tournament but declined the invitation. And they did that with their star player playing with tendinitis in both knees. And a roster basically depleted the entire season due to various injuries.

So I don't understand why we would not want to make an additional commitment to Frank and raise the buyout on his contract. Why would we want to risk other teams sniffing around here when things have actually started to look up? Is 1 more year on his contract really going to make things worse?
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #25
Travelin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Hopefully the extension will come before the beginning of the season.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #26
bobbycock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1034230
bobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPit

Winning will change people's minds....so let's see what happens this year.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #27
HeadCockFan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycock View Post
Winning will change people's minds....so let's see what happens this year.
Sounds about right.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #28
picknroll
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
picknroll has feathers coming inpicknroll has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
He suspended him a year ago, what has he done since then to garner a raise? He is on an upward swing and should parlay that into a raise next year when he makes and wins and NCAA tourney game but he is not worthy yet!
I listed SEVEN reasons why his contract should be extended and you ask "what has he done?"

Seriously, folks, an executive administrator or an entrepreneur has to be able to read the tea leaves and anticipate when the direction of a confluence of favorable factors will lead to desired results. Cover Two says because Martin doesn't yet recruit like Calipari, that he doesn't deserve to have a contract extension? I disagree. Martin has demonstrated to me very convincingly that he is one of the best coaches in the nation. He's a great teacher, a great bench coach, a tireless recruiting machine, a master communicator, a motivator, and he has a comprehensive understanding of both the game and the business of Major Div 1 college basketball. We would be making a huge mistake if we let him get away.

I am frankly very pissed off that Tanner, instead of standing up for Martin, threw him under the bus over a whiney booster who should have known better than to sit behind the bench with his kids unless he wanted them to get a vocabulary lesson. Almost any major coach you could name cusses and rails like a lunatic at players from the bench and Kevin Stallings even threatened to kill a player and barely got a wrist slap.

Tanner is a meek, indecisive, and irresolute AD, and that's being kind. He won't fire his buddy who is driving our baseball program into the ditch. He won't develop a succession plan for Spurrier. He won't make any tough decisions and when confronted with a difficult situation - like a whiney booster - he folds up like a tent. And now, in my opinion, he is running the risk of alienating Martin by not extending his contract. In fact, if I were Martin after what Tanner did to me last season, when the worm turns and we start winning I'd be very tempted to take the first big offer that comes along.

Last edited by picknroll; 05-22-2015 at 09:53 PM..
picknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #29
picknroll
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
How realistic are you being? Most 1st choice guys aren't waiting till the spring signing period to sign with a school. Going into this season, Frank knew he only had 2 scholarships available at the end of the season. As the season progressed Henry and Sheppard were dismissed from the team, and Frank saw what this team was missing. That allowed Frank to identify more needs. By this time, Frank has to go with who he knows he can get. Not sure what more you could ask of a guy. Calipari missed on his top 5 guys for this signing class. It happens. Sometimes you miss, and it's part of the game. The guys we have currently and have coming in look to be a pretty solid group of players, arguably the best we've had on campus in a long time. I'm not sure what else you could possibly want from Frank? He's never been a guy that goes out and lands nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits. He's a guy that goes out and finds pieces that fit the puzzle and develops the talent built on a couple high caliber recruits. At USC that is shaping up to be Thornwell and Dozier. Seventh is basically being called a lock at this point. We've seen improvement from the players on campus and in the wins column with an increasingly difficult schedule each year. On top of that we finally beat Clemson... really really bad! The team was invited to play in a post season tournament but declined the invitation. And they did that with their star player playing with tendinitis in both knees. And a roster basically depleted the entire season due to various injuries.

So I don't understand why we would not want to make an additional commitment to Frank and raise the buyout on his contract. Why would we want to risk other teams sniffing around here when things have actually started to look up? Is 1 more year on his contract really going to make things worse?
BOOYA_A_A! Tomahawk dunk! Kudos!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #30
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

He has 3 years left on his contract. There's no real rush, but I'm sure one will get done at some point.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #31
NockNock
Banned

Male

NockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot materialNockNock is USC mascot material

Contract extensions need to be earned. Not just given out for warm fuzzies.
NockNock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #32
picknroll
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NockNock View Post
Yeah, and after he's gone you'll be wondering why and criticizing him for lack of loyalty. You should learn to see further than the end of your nose.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #33
doubledribble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 101127241
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NockNock View Post
And I think Frank has earned one. His recruiting has been great and the future looks bright. We have seen increases in wins and statistically while increasing our strength of schedule each year.
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #34
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

The root cause of our poor seasons so far has been the drop-off that occurs once classes start.

It seemed like some of Frank's frustration in his pressers may have been with the University maybe going too far with the student-athlete thing.

If that is the case, it's hard to tell where the dividing line is with that. Is it the AD, the University's attempt at branding or both?

I just find it a little too coincidental that the major athletic programs, except for Dawn's squad, have all had mediocre seasons in the same year.

The root cause of some our problems may be that the school is putting too much academic pressure on the kids at the expense of their athletic success.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Dawn's squad has proven itself to be an exception if that has does indeed have a negative impact on the team's success.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #35
picknroll
Banned

Male

If you want to call last season's performance "poor," it's your prerogative but in light of the injuries and suspensions, I think it was clearly a case of Martin keeping the team focused and overachieving. I was very proud of the team and especially grateful for the grit of Sindarious Thornwell to keep playing through pain the entire season out of loyalty to Frank and the team. That experience bonded those guys and will serve us well in the season ahead, especially with this excellent recruiting class. We have one of the finest coaches and staffs in the nation and they are getting it done for us - brick by brick.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
warriorcock
4-Star

Male

warriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPit

If some refuse to acknowledge the progress that has been made since Frank took over vs where we are today, then they are either blind or they just choose to be negative. But this negativity is annoying and rather tiresome to be honest.
warriorcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
CockyCody
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 400
CockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot material

The problem with the MBB team is that it has stunk for so long that many people have just accepted it and wait for baseball and football season to roll around to get excited. It does look like Frank has us going in the right direction but until that translates into a lot more wins, most folks are not going to notice or care.

CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #38
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by picknroll View Post
If you want to call last season's performance "poor," it's your prerogative but in light of the injuries and suspensions, I think it was clearly a case of Martin keeping the team focused and overachieving. I was very proud of the team and especially grateful for the grit of Sindarious Thornwell to keep playing through pain the entire season out of loyalty to Frank and the team. That experience bonded those guys and will serve us well in the season ahead, especially with this excellent recruiting class. We have one of the finest coaches and staffs in the nation and they are getting it done for us - brick by brick.
I went to every home game last season, except for the UK game, which was already sold out before I could get a ticket.

I like Frank and the team and don't disagree with you at all, but bricks are a painful subject for the home crowd.

Frank has already stated many times the guys quit putting the effort into improving their shooting once classes start.

My point is that they have a problem shooting as a team once classes start. We aren't going to win many games if we can't learn to shoot the ball better.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #39
Travelin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
I went to every home game last season, except for the UK game, which was already sold out before I could get a ticket.

I like Frank and the team and don't disagree with you at all, but bricks are a painful subject for the home crowd.

Frank has already stated many times the guys quit putting the effort into improving their shooting once classes start.

My point is that they have a problem shooting as a team once classes start. We aren't going to win many games if we can't learn to shoot the ball better.
Good post. Maybe they shoot more on their on time.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #40
picknroll
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taney18hill View Post
Holy smoke. Last year was OVERachieving?
Yes, I said overachieving. When injuries and suspensions get you get down to having to play your former walk on player every game and he is playing despite a torn meniscus, and you still win some games - that is overachieving. Achieving better outcomes than expected under the prevailing circumstances means overachieving to me. I don't know what you think it is.

Last edited by picknroll; 05-24-2015 at 08:01 AM..