CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gotrice?
CockNJersey
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
Order 66
Blitzkrieg
gamecockclint
catdaddy66
Spurz
USCharleston2
What do you need to (1101)
Qb's under pressure (681)
Garnet helmets and j (632)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (329)
Arkansas Kick Time (296)
Jake Bentley analysi (204)
Week 4 College Footb (147)
***Ace Of Spades - M (126)
***Wildfire - Equest (108)
PODCAST: Game Previe (89)
2017 High School Football
Jake Bentley analysis
Coach Staley's big weeken
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Remembering Kenny
2018 Commitment - RJ Rode
Running game analysis thr
Crowd Against La Tech
Garnet helmets and jersey
Qb's under pressure SEC

Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
doubledribble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 101127241
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material
Default The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

We have had many threads get off topic talking about the good old days of Frank McGuire, the ACC, and other memorable moments. I enjoy reading the stories and getting the insight from fans about moments I was unable to witness first hand. I wanted to start this thread so we could all rehash our favorite basketball moments either by story telling, posting articles, videos, etc... It doesn't have to be just the McGuire days, but from any time you enjoyed Gamecock Hoops.

doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit
Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

I was in high school when Roche, Owens, and Ribock were sophomores. Cremins was a junior. What I remember most was the intensity of the rivalries from then to the time USC left the ACC. Every game USC had with any ACC opponent was a big game. Every win was a triumph and every loss a misery. Nothing since then can compare. The most upset I have ever been over a USC loss was when they lost to NC State in the ACC Tournament Roche's junior year. USC's only loss to an ACC team that year. And a loss that kept USC out of the NCAA Tournament.

Since I lived in western NC and my school was populated mostly by UNC fans, with a few Duke, NC State, and Wake fans mixed in, the rivalries were probably more intense for me than they would have been for someone not surrounded by what I was surrounded with. One other guy and myself were the only USC fans in the school. I remember being very nervous before and during almost every ACC game and very relieved if USC won. My proudest moment was when USC beat UNC for the ACC tournament title the next year. I miss the good USC teams, and I miss the intensity of the rivalries. Though I'm not sure that I could take that much pressure now.

Last edited by thumpin big; 11-22-2015 at 03:52 PM..
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
doubledribble
Banned

Male

doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I was in high school when Roach, Owens, and Ribock were sophomores. Cremins was a junior. What I remember most was the intensity of the rivalries from then to the time USC left the ACC. Every game USC had with any ACC opponent was a big game. Every win was a triumph and every loss a misery. Nothing since then can compare. The most upset I have ever been over a USC loss was when they lost to NC State in the ACC Tournament Roach's junior year. USC's only loss to an ACC team that year. And a loss that kept USC out of the NCAA Tournament.

Since I lived in western NC and my school was populated mostly by UNC fans, with a few Duke, NC State, and Wake fans mixed in, the rivalries were probably more intense for me than they would have been for someone not surrounded by what I was surrounded with. One other guy and myself were the only USC fans in the school. I remember being very nervous before and during almost every ACC game and very relieved if USC won. My proudest moment was when USC beat UNC for the ACC tournament title the next year. I miss the good USC teams, and I miss the intensity of the rivalries. Though I'm not sure that I could take that much pressure now.
Thanks for sharing this. My father always talked about the intense rivalries, and how McGuire instilled this "us against the world" mentality.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
Thanks for sharing this. My father always talked about the intense rivalries, and how McGuire instilled this "us against the world" mentality.
McGuire's teams didn't have much depth. When Roche was injured in the ACC Tournament, there was not a good player to take his place. He tried to play, but was ineffective.

Looking back on it now, I don't think McGuire tried to recruit a lot of depth. He had a starting five that he tried to play most of the game. That can work well if they don't get into foul trouble or get hurt. Maybe it was a generational thing with him. There was no shot clock and no three point line. You could play at a slower pace if you wanted to. If you look at Cremins' good teams at Georgia Tech, you see some of the same thing. Maybe one or two guys come off the bench, but it is mostly the starters who play.

Last edited by thumpin big; 11-22-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
McGuire's teams didn't have much depth. When Roach was injured in the ACC Tournament, there was not a good player to take his place. He tried to play, but was ineffective.

Looking back on it now, I don't think McGuire tried to recruit a lot of depth. He had a starting five that he tried to play most of the game. That can work well if they don't get into foul trouble or get hurt. Maybe it was a generational thing with him. There was no shot clock and no three point line. You could play at a slower pace if you wanted to. If you look at Cremins' good teams at Georgia Tech, you see some of the same thing. Maybe one or two guys come off the bench, but it is mostly the starters who play.
Were all teams like that at that time?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

That win over Cincinnati was phenomenal and glad I saw it in person. We've also had some big wins over Kentucky and Florida through the years. The first time I saw us beat a ranked team in person was in the 1982-83 season when we beat 15th ranked Purdue at home. I'm not old enough to remember the ACC days, though I did go to a game at home versus Canisius in 1975. That was my first game.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
That win over Cincinnati was phenomenal and glad I saw it in person. We've also had some big wins over Kentucky and Florida through the years. The first time I saw us beat a ranked team in person was in the 1982-83 season when we beat 15th ranked Purdue at home. I'm not old enough to remember the ACC days, though I did go to a game at home versus Canisius in 1975. That was my first game.
The basketball program is under appreciated. We need to recognize our history and embrace it. It's not all sunshine and roses but there are a lot of fun moments and stories to tell! That Cincinnati game was one I'll never forget. I was there, and the crowd was electric.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
TheUSCMike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 80000000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

I'm going to be that guy, It's John Roche, not Roach.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1909343
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I can remember going to games and seeing Roche, Owens, Riker, Ribock, Winters, and Dunleavey play when I was a kid. We had some really great players in the past. The Cincinnati game may have been one of the greatest wins ever, but to be honest, I enjoyed watching Downey play as much as any of the big name greats we've ever had.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

One of my fondest memories was a game played in the '73-'74 season, when I was a senior. We had a rivalry going on with the always powerful Marquette Warriors ( a much better moniker than their current pussyfoot appellation), and they came to town, highly ranked (5th?) and undefeated. They led the whole game, but we managed to close the gap near game's end with the likes of Alex English, Mike Dunleavy, etc. We tied it with less than a minute to go, and I'll always carry the vision in my mind of one of our greats popping in a jumper from the top of the key as time expired. That man was Brian Winters.
rabid cock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I can remember going to games and seeing Roche, Owens, Riker, Ribock, Winters, and Dunleavey play when I was a kid. We had some really great players in the past. The Cincinnati game may have been one of the greatest wins ever, but to be honest, I enjoyed watching Downey play as much as any of the big name greats we've ever had.
You've seen a lot of good and a lot of bad. Did you see English play?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
One of my fondest memories was a game played in the '73-'74 season, when I was a senior. We had a rivalry going on with the always powerful Marquette Warriors ( a much better moniker than their current pussyfoot appellation), and they came to town, highly ranked (5th?) and undefeated. They led the whole game, but we managed to close the gap near game's end with the likes of Alex English, Mike Dunleavy, etc. We tied it with less than a minute to go, and I'll always carry the vision in my mind of one of our greats popping in a jumper from the top of the key as time expired. That man was Brian Winters.
Love it! Here's a video about Winters.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
I'm going to be that guy, It's John Roche, not Roach.

You are right. My mistake.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Were all teams like that at that time?
Some of them were. I don't remember about them all.

Also, at that time, freshmen were ineligible. And it was fun because there usually was a freshman game that preceded the varsity game, so you would get two games for one price. I always liked to watch the freshmen to get an idea of how they could play. Some of the freshman team were walk-ons.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #15
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
I always loved to watch Winters play. He is one of my favorites. But we never could seem to beat Marquette in those days. They were good under Al McGuire.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Love it! Here's a video about Winters.

Wow. Thanks for that video. Winters had a great jump shot. I loved that team with him, English, Dunleavy, Nate Davis (who could really jump), Bob Mathias, and Mark Greiner. Really good team. I also love those uniforms.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
doubledribble
Banned

Male

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1754212&hl=en

Here is a newspaper article about rabid's Winter tale!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for that video. Winters had a great jump shot. I loved that team with him, English, Dunleavy, Nate Davis (who could really jump), Bob Mathias, and Mark Greiner. Really good team. I also love those uniforms.
Man I had no idea about Winters jump shot against Marquette. You get to see it, I believe, in this video. It's the shot he took from he FT line...

I wanted to start this page so we could try and compile stories and multimedia about Gamecock basketball. I think we're off to a great start so far!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
I always loved to watch Winters play. He is one of my favorites. But we never could seem to beat Marquette in those days. They were good under Al McGuire.
Gamecocks did beat them in the game that rabid spoke of. I posted a link to a newspaper article a few spots above here! I hope we get some more stuff like this going. Would be great if a mod could pushpin this thread at the top!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #20
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1754212&hl=en

Here is a newspaper article about rabid's Winter tale!
If you look at the box score for that game you find that all but three minutes of the game were played by six USC players. Marquette didn't play many guys either.

I had forgotten about that win. I guess I remember the losses to Marquette more than the wins.