CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
thekob
carolina_corpsman
Y Formation
2k15
TastyLicks
RGHoskins
2000grad
Spur's Addiction
SanAntonioCock
FBI Charges of Fraud (4501)
10 point Underdogs (859)
SC vs La Tech 1st Ha (777)
Dumbest question and (341)
Coach arrests? (228)
FBI Charges of Fraud (207)
Kershaw County sheri (144)
PODCAST: Gamecocks R (88)
FBI and College Bask (2)
2018 WBB - Christyn Willi
FBI Charges of Fraud &
Snoop's take on how the n
10 point Underdogs
PODCAST: Gamecocks Rally
SC vs La Tech 1st Half of
Ryan Succop on NFL record
Freeeze: What I did was w
Jake Bentley analysis
Dumbest question and best

Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit
Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
Crazy!

The thing that stands out to me is that McGuire created rivalries with (it seems like) every ACC opponent. I mean we were hated by Maryland, UNC, NC State, and so on...

You're right. Nothing really like that now thanks to PC. I mean McGuire telling Lefty that he must have hit himself... Today we would have outrage and the coach would apologize...
Yes. I prefer how it was then. I hate PC.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #42
St. Louis Gamecock
4-Star

Male

St. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPit

I still have the newspaper when Carolina beat UNC for the ACC Tourney title in 1971. It was a glorious day. Joyce out jumping Dedmond and tapping the ball to Owens right under our basket – who can forget? And does anybody remember what happened next because there were still two seconds left in the game? UNC inbounded the ball and threw it the entire length of the court – all the way to the other side out into the stands! We got the ball back on that turnover and the celebration began!

And I get the guy living in western NC. I lived in NC for a while and went to undergrad school in the mountains and was always proud with my red Carolina decal on my car! Not many of us around at that time, but a proud and vocal minority!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #43
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

When USC was in the ACC, there was no three point line, and no shot clock. Teams that felt overmatched by playing fast sometimes played a slowdown game. If a team was in a zone defense, and your team didn't want to play against a zone, sometimes you would just hold the ball and try to get the opponent to come out of the zone. You might not think those games were very exciting, but they were. If a team got the lead and tried to hold the ball, and the clock is ticking away, that can be a lot of suspense. Playing slowdown led to some upsets, some involving USC. I think the ACC Championship game we lost to NC State was kind of a slow down game. I don't think the shot clock, or the three point shot has done anything to help college basketball. In fact, it probably hurt the game from an excitement and intensity standpoint.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #44
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
I still have the newspaper when Carolina beat UNC for the ACC Tourney title in 1971. It was a glorious day. Joyce out jumping Dedmond and tapping the ball to Owens right under our basket – who can forget? And does anybody remember what happened next because there were still two seconds left in the game? UNC inbounded the ball and threw it the entire length of the court – all the way to the other side out into the stands! We got the ball back on that turnover and the celebration began!

And I get the guy living in western NC. I lived in NC for a while and went to undergrad school in the mountains and was always proud with my red Carolina decal on my car! Not many of us around at that time, but a proud and vocal minority!
I watched that game on TV. Boy, was I excited when USC won!!! I always hated Dean Smith (still do) and UNC (still do) and to beat them in a game of that importance was soooooooo satisfying!

Where did you go to school in the NC mountains?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #45
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I have to say my favorite Gamecock basketball player was probably Jackie Galoone..(sp?)..that guy could handle a basketball..
Jackie Gilloon was also a guard I liked a lot with a lot of upside. He started at point all four years and was a freshman the year after Winters (and I) graduated, '74-'75. He averaged 5 assists per game over his entire career and was also very adept at stealing the ball. His junior and senior campaigns, he led the team in that category with 68 total steals.

I had graduated when Gilloon came along and did not personally attend any games but, as I recall, I watched many a game on TV, and Bob Fulton was the play-by-play guy. I remember a lot of "...and what a play by Jackie Gilloon...". Gilloon made a lot of great passes the full length of the court.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #46
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
One of my fondest memories was a game played in the '73-'74 season, when I was a senior. We had a rivalry going on with the always powerful Marquette Warriors ( a much better moniker than their current pussyfoot appellation), and they came to town, highly ranked (5th?) and undefeated. They led the whole game, but we managed to close the gap near game's end with the likes of Alex English, Mike Dunleavy, etc. We tied it with less than a minute to go, and I'll always carry the vision in my mind of one of our greats popping in a jumper from the top of the key as time expired. That man was Brian Winters.
I was there too. Guy Lewis brought in a pretty good Houston team for what I think was our final home game that year. English went crazy in a Gamecock blowout. But what I remember most about that game was a Houston turnover right in front of the Houston bench. The ref blew the whistle and handed the ball to Winters to inbound. Brian casually started dribbling the ball up court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Ed Peterson

Best shooter: Winters and/or Peterson. Peterson was only on the team one year.
Best pure set shooter I've ever seen. Nickname was "Radar." I think that it was one of those Marquette games when we couldn't hit an outside shot or as McGuire would say, "throw it in the ocean," and our opponent really packed their zone in tight. We fell way behind until McGuire put Peterson in the game. I don't think that he could have missed even if he tried. We got within 1 or 2 by the end of the game and Kevin Joyce missed a jumper from the foul line in his worst game at USC (only scored 2 points.) Peterson was open just off to the side of the key. He transferred to Georgia after that year.

You could just about bet that John Roche was going to foul out at least one person every game.

Quote:
The fight with Maryland referenced above is an example of the intensity of the rivalries at that time. I am surprised I never got an ulcer from the tension of those ACC games back then. It was FAR more exciting than anything since then. Nothing we have now compares to it. Back then, you wanted to win because you were trying to be the best in the ACC, AND trying to beat your opponent. It was personal. Now, we play an SEC game and whoever wins, all the coaches and all the players shake hands and smile at each other and go their ways. No hard feelings. Not so then.
It was white hot hate and why I won't pull for the ACC in anything. To hell with them sumbiches. If we had not left the ACC it would not have surprised me to see a fan killed.

Quote:
Crazy!

The thing that stands out to me is that McGuire created rivalries with (it seems like) every ACC opponent. I mean we were hated by Maryland, UNC, NC State, and so on...
The reason we were hated is because we were supposed to be two automatic wins for the Big 4. Brat has posted some great stuff on why we left the ACC. Backstabbing Clemson might be the worst of the group.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #47
doubledribble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 101127241
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Mule, it's funny to read how much you hate the ACC. I don't understand that because I didn't live it. However, it sounds exactly like what every poster describes as far as that time period is concerned.

It is a shame that those types of rivalries aren't seen today in the SEC. I know folks dislike UGA, Tenn, maybe florida... But back then we hated everyone and they hated us!
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #48
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

It had gotten to the point that it was an unhealthy hate instead of heated rivalries. The split from the ACC was a necessary move.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #49
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062293326235
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Welcome back to the good old days.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #50
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
It had gotten to the point that it was an unhealthy hate instead of heated rivalries. The split from the ACC was a necessary move.
You're right .. I actually enjoyed it though , we give'm hell .. Tobacco road and company were worse than a Judge on the take , and that's no exaggeration ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #51
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Party like it's 1970!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #52
F4rpoole
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 9885
F4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spurs

I started pulling for the Gamecocks at ten years old in 1970. All my early Gamecock memories are about Basketball until Jeff Grantz lead the Cocks to a 56-to-20 victory over clemsux in 1975.

When Kevin Joyce was "hot" he had a jumper from the corner that was deadly. Alex English was the smoothest man to ever touch a Basketball. Brian Winters was "clutch" before we knew who Michael Jordan was. Roche, Riker, ALL those guys were GREAT.

ACC officiating was SOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!! and SOOOO one sided in favor of Maryland, UNC and NC State. It was 10 times worst than what happens today at Duke and UNC.

Gamecock Basketball in the early Seventies was just as exciting as the 3-straight 11-2 seasons in football; maybe even more exciting.
F4rpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #53
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes. I prefer how it was then. I hate PC.
there also werent all the cameras, the internet, etc. that helped media start blowing stuff up
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:26 AM   #54
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Mule, it's funny to read how much you hate the ACC. I don't understand that because I didn't live it. However, it sounds exactly like what every poster describes as far as that time period is concerned.

It is a shame that those types of rivalries aren't seen today in the SEC. I know folks dislike UGA, Tenn, maybe florida... But back then we hated everyone and they hated us!
I hate the ACC teams alot too haha because my dad lived that time. that is how much the old people hate the ACC.
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #55
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
Party like it's 1970!
...or 1933!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #56
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I remember going to football games with my Dad and walking around the stadium holding 2 fingers up for tickets. It always seemed we would get good tickets. At $5.00 per ticket....After the game we would stop in at Dunkin Doughnuts in Cayce before heading home...Great time in life...
Old 12-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #57
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
I disagree. Nobody died because of those rivalries. It was not necessary to leave the ACC. Leaving the ACC is what destroyed USC basketball from then until now. Frank is trying to recover the program.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #58
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I couldn't make out what the jersey said to find out if that was Marquette, so I googled it. Sure enough the jerseys matched so I figured that was "The Shot" lol
I recognized the jerseys right off. If you'll note, Marquette's unis still have those signature horizontal lines under the armpits. No other uni I know of is like it.

Also, thumpin alluded to Nate Davis. The guy was "only" like 6'5" or so, but had a 40+-inch vertical leap and could shoot over much taller players. His nickname was "Elevator".
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #59
doubledribble
Banned

Male

doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Nate Davis
Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #60
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
I hate the ACC teams alot too haha because my dad lived that time. that is how much the old people hate the ACC.
Pretty much the same for me. My dad gave me a healthy dose of hating Clemson and the ACC