CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
Spur's Addiction
Three and Out
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
GregoryHouse
kick_ball
RGHoskins
Rooster'srule
smoovecock
This could be troubl (1277)
First home game, und (1036)
The difference betwe (880)
Kansas City Royals: (366)
2019 - Jaelin Humphr (355)
Hot dogs (290)
D. English & M.L (284)
eclipse fly over (96)
2017 Gamecocks Offen (86)
2018 - Jonathan Gipson
2017 Signee - Keisean Nix
Rico Dowdle
2018 - Channing Tindall
The difference between 7
2017 Gamecocks Offensive
2018 - Bryce Thompson
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Raiqwon O'Neal
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn

Old 12-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #41
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ibrahim Doumbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
He's a 3 at the college level. I could see him walking in here and being a 30%+ guy from beyond the arc. He isn't an elite shooter but he is solid. Combine that with insane athleticism and we got ourselves a steal here. Frank has done a great job with evals since he got here.

Quote:
Phenom Hoop Report ‏@Phenom_Hoops 49m49 minutes ago South Carolina signee Ibrahim Doumbia of Miami Country Day had 35 points on 6 made 3s at today at #PhenomJoeMiller

ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #42
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Love it. He sounds like what I thought we were getting with Keita - an athletic 3 that can play on the perimeter or inside. I am not giving up on Keita - he missed a lot of time, has size and athletic skills - but he is not looking like a 3.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 AM   #43
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Love it. He sounds like what I thought we were getting with Keita - an athletic 3 that can play on the perimeter or inside. I am not giving up on Keita - he missed a lot of time, has size and athletic skills - but he is not looking like a 3.
I think by the end of the year you will see his potential more and like what you see much more. He is starting to get more comfortable every game and remember his wrist had been in a cast most of the summer. Look at the difference in Dozier a year after his injury, though completely different injuries both effected the players shot and confidence going into college play.
I have heard this kid called the most athletic player in Florida, that is impressive to say the least for a kid with a shot.
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #44
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeoftheCOCK View Post
I think by the end of the year you will see his potential more and like what you see much more. He is starting to get more comfortable every game and remember his wrist had been in a cast most of the summer. Look at the difference in Dozier a year after his injury, though completely different injuries both effected the players shot and confidence going into college play.
I have heard this kid called the most athletic player in Florida, that is impressive to say the least for a kid with a shot.
I don't want to hijack Doumbia's thread but Keita needs to figure out what he does. What I mean by that - is he a rebounder/defender? A guy that can score, and how? Mid-range jumper, drive to the basket, moves in the low post?

I heard he was more of a perimeter guy but I have not seen an outside shot or driving ability - yet. And he has not shown much inside on Offense. I understand that he is behind due to the injury, and there is no question that he has some size and athletic ability. So far, he looks like a younger Ran Tut - looks good in a uniform, has height, runs well - just does not do enough to help the cause.

Silva is defined now - shot blocker, can hit the short jumper, drive (which will be a big weapon moving forward), even has post-up moves. Kotsar is a hard-nosed rebounder with a short jumper and low-post moves. If Keita can step up his offensive game, we will have something - because there is a big drop-off when Keita comes in.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #45
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
I don't want to hijack Doumbia's thread but Keita needs to figure out what he does. What I mean by that - is he a rebounder/defender? A guy that can score, and how? Mid-range jumper, drive to the basket, moves in the low post?

I heard he was more of a perimeter guy but I have not seen an outside shot or driving ability - yet. And he has not shown much inside on Offense. I understand that he is behind due to the injury, and there is no question that he has some size and athletic ability. So far, he looks like a younger Ran Tut - looks good in a uniform, has height, runs well - just does not do enough to help the cause.

Silva is defined now - shot blocker, can hit the short jumper, drive (which will be a big weapon moving forward), even has post-up moves. Kotsar is a hard-nosed rebounder with a short jumper and low-post moves. If Keita can step up his offensive game, we will have something - because there is a big drop-off when Keita comes in.

It's pretty apparent, at least it seems apparent to me, that Keita's broken wrist has robbed him of any touch he had.

It's possible that will never improve, but hopefully it can heal at some point.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #46
Sides
Recruit

Male

Sides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his claws

Quote:

Frank says defense is the most important thing for a player to get on the court. If they don't know the defensive concepts then they are not playing. It seems to me that almost every player has struggled offensively their first year to couple of years. Look where Carrera started offensively and where he finished as a senior. Dozier took a huge step forward this year. Thornwell has continued to develop. Silva is just turning into a real offensive threat....
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Frank says defense is the most important thing for a player to get on the court. If they don't know the defensive concepts then they are not playing. It seems to me that almost every player has struggled offensively their first year to couple of years. Look where Carrera started offensively and where he finished as a senior. Dozier took a huge step forward this year. Thornwell has continued to develop. Silva is just turning into a real offensive threat....
True. I was not trying to be negative and if you have the physical tools and coordination, you can develop the offensive game.

Keita appears to be improving with his rebounding and D, just needs to find a signature move or shot so he is not an offensive liability. The broken wrist may be holding him back but it will not impact him long-term - if he had a shot before, it will come back.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #48
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

So I just watched Doumbia's Hoop Diamonds highlight reel. Looks like an absolute freak athletically. However, it also looked like he was playing with a bunch of middle schoolers. Where the heck was that?
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #49
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Keita has the talent and size to play, but he did not play at all in the first few games so I wonder about his hand and if it healed properly. If the hand is truly healed then I expect him to play more and more during the season and perhaps he will catch fire by March. He looks more comfortable on the floor now than he did in December. If not, he will need to work hard over the summer to be ready for next year.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #50
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Ibrahim Doumbia, a 6-foot-8 forward from Miami Country Day School (FL) who is signed to the University of South Carolina and the first cousin of Cheick Diallo (NBA), looked spectacular this past weekend at the Phenom Hoops Joe Miller Invitational

Ibrahim Doumbia, a 6-foot-8 forward from Miami Country Day School (FL) who is signed to the University of South Carolina and the first cousin of Cheick Diallo (NBA), looked spectacular this past weekend at the Phenom Hoops Joe Miller Invitational (Wilmington, NC). In his first game against Kinston (NC), he recorded 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks. In his second game against Word of God (NC), he scored 15 points and grabbed 4 rebounds against their center, Brandon Huffman who is signed to UNC–Chapel Hill. On the third day against Lincoln Charter (NC), he finished the game with 25 points and finally on the last day he scored 35 points on 6 made threes against a very talented Hamilton Heights (TN) team. But aside from his impressive performances, Phenom Hoops had a chance to speak with the future Gamecock on his thoughts on the event and his future at South Carolina.
Kim: What are some of your thoughts on this event and how do you think you and your team played?
Doumbia: “For me, I think I played bad because I turned the ball over a lot because of my broken finger but that’s not an excuse. We played okay… we are going to get better tomorrow and the next upcoming days. This tournament is really good. Last year we went to the Bojangles (Bash) and since then this is our first trip going out of Florida and this is really big for us and we are very excited.”

Kim: For the people that don’t know your game, how would you describe it?
Doumbia: “For me, I just try to help my team get the win. I just come out with energy and most of my guys follow me because they believe in me and I believe in them. I have to come out rebounding, blocking shots, playing defense, and when they count on me making shots I have to make them. I have to basically do everything.”

Kim: What are some of the things you want to work on to improve your overall game?
Doumbia: “I want to work a lot on my defense because I want to be able to guard every position. Right now, I can guard centers because when I was younger I played that position but now that I am guarding the three/four position(s); I want to have the ability to guard point guards because when I get to South Carolina, they are going to want me to guard everybody. I also want to work on my handling (ball-handling) because it is not an excuse just because my finger is broken. I have to keep going hard so I’m going to work a lot on that and more on my decision making.”

Kim: How did you come to the conclusion that South Carolina is the best option for you?
Doumbia: “When I was in the 9th grade, someone told me that Frank Martin (South Carolina) is going to come to watch me play at the Chick-fil-A Classic and at that time I basically had two offers (Baylor & UTEP). So he came and he didn’t offer me that time but then I decided to changed schools. I went from ACD (Arlington Country Day) to Miami Country Day because I wanted to be more challenged. So when I went there, Coach Hugo (De La Rose – head coach of Miami Country Day School) taught me a lot of things like where to be on the floor because at the time, I was a center and I didn’t know anything about basketball and I still don’t know anything (laughs)… I am learning the game. So then last year, South Carolina offered me after they watched all of my games at the Bojangles Bash. Frank Martin is really happy for me because of the energy I bring to the floor and because I play hard.”

Kim: South Carolina has a strong class coming in with you, David Beatty, Jason Cudd, and Felipe Haase. How is your relationship like with those guys right now and how do you think you’ll do as a team next year?
Doumbia: “I went on a visit with Jason and he is really a funny guy. I spoke with him when I committed and I remember him sending me a message telling me “congrats”. Felipe is from Miami and we actually played against him and they beat us by like 7 points I think and he played well. For David, I don’t have a relationship with him yet but it’s going to be fine because I can get along with anybody.”

Kim: What are some of your goals going into South Carolina?
Doumbia: “My goal is to work on my defense, my ball handing, and just getting tougher because it’s not going to be easy; it’s going to be hard. Frank (Martin) is very tough and that’s why I went there because he is going to look at my face and tell me the truth.”

Kim: Keep working man; I like your game.
Doumbia: “Thanks – I really appreciate it.”

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/news...rer_id=2306206
Y Formation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #51
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
Ibrahim Doumbia, a 6-foot-8 forward from Miami Country Day School (FL) who is signed to the University of South Carolina and the first cousin of Cheick Diallo (NBA), looked spectacular this past weekend at the Phenom Hoops Joe Miller Invitational

Ibrahim Doumbia, a 6-foot-8 forward from Miami Country Day School (FL) who is signed to the University of South Carolina and the first cousin of Cheick Diallo (NBA), looked spectacular this past weekend at the Phenom Hoops Joe Miller Invitational (Wilmington, NC). In his first game against Kinston (NC), he recorded 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks. In his second game against Word of God (NC), he scored 15 points and grabbed 4 rebounds against their center, Brandon Huffman who is signed to UNC–Chapel Hill. On the third day against Lincoln Charter (NC), he finished the game with 25 points and finally on the last day he scored 35 points on 6 made threes against a very talented Hamilton Heights (TN) team. But aside from his impressive performances, Phenom Hoops had a chance to speak with the future Gamecock on his thoughts on the event and his future at South Carolina.
Kim: What are some of your thoughts on this event and how do you think you and your team played?
Doumbia: “For me, I think I played bad because I turned the ball over a lot because of my broken finger but that’s not an excuse. We played okay… we are going to get better tomorrow and the next upcoming days. This tournament is really good. Last year we went to the Bojangles (Bash) and since then this is our first trip going out of Florida and this is really big for us and we are very excited.”

Kim: For the people that don’t know your game, how would you describe it?
Doumbia: “For me, I just try to help my team get the win. I just come out with energy and most of my guys follow me because they believe in me and I believe in them. I have to come out rebounding, blocking shots, playing defense, and when they count on me making shots I have to make them. I have to basically do everything.”

Kim: What are some of the things you want to work on to improve your overall game?
Doumbia: “I want to work a lot on my defense because I want to be able to guard every position. Right now, I can guard centers because when I was younger I played that position but now that I am guarding the three/four position(s); I want to have the ability to guard point guards because when I get to South Carolina, they are going to want me to guard everybody. I also want to work on my handling (ball-handling) because it is not an excuse just because my finger is broken. I have to keep going hard so I’m going to work a lot on that and more on my decision making.”

Kim: How did you come to the conclusion that South Carolina is the best option for you?
Doumbia: “When I was in the 9th grade, someone told me that Frank Martin (South Carolina) is going to come to watch me play at the Chick-fil-A Classic and at that time I basically had two offers (Baylor & UTEP). So he came and he didn’t offer me that time but then I decided to changed schools. I went from ACD (Arlington Country Day) to Miami Country Day because I wanted to be more challenged. So when I went there, Coach Hugo (De La Rose – head coach of Miami Country Day School) taught me a lot of things like where to be on the floor because at the time, I was a center and I didn’t know anything about basketball and I still don’t know anything (laughs)… I am learning the game. So then last year, South Carolina offered me after they watched all of my games at the Bojangles Bash. Frank Martin is really happy for me because of the energy I bring to the floor and because I play hard.”

Kim: South Carolina has a strong class coming in with you, David Beatty, Jason Cudd, and Felipe Haase. How is your relationship like with those guys right now and how do you think you’ll do as a team next year?
Doumbia: “I went on a visit with Jason and he is really a funny guy. I spoke with him when I committed and I remember him sending me a message telling me “congrats”. Felipe is from Miami and we actually played against him and they beat us by like 7 points I think and he played well. For David, I don’t have a relationship with him yet but it’s going to be fine because I can get along with anybody.”

Kim: What are some of your goals going into South Carolina?
Doumbia: “My goal is to work on my defense, my ball handing, and just getting tougher because it’s not going to be easy; it’s going to be hard. Frank (Martin) is very tough and that’s why I went there because he is going to look at my face and tell me the truth.”

Kim: Keep working man; I like your game.
Doumbia: “Thanks – I really appreciate it.”

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/news...rer_id=2306206
Thanks for sharing that. I cant wait for basketball season to start again.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #52
conwaycock2
Bowl MVP

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Man, this kid would appear to be a perfect fit for Frank Martin. That's one of the more impressive interviews I've ever read.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #53
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Frank Martin's kind of guy. I think they will work him in slow as he learns how to play but should be a great player for us in time. Gotta love a 6'8" guy who can bang down low but also shoot the 3.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #54
Three and Out
Starter

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Frank Martin's kind of guy. I think they will work him in slow as he learns how to play but should be a great player for us in time. Gotta love a 6'8" guy who can bang down low but also shoot the 3.
As the season progresses, he has a chance to play a lot better than his star ranking would indicate.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote