CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
Three and Out
GeoCocky66
carolina_corpsman
GuyInTheGreenHouse
DorchesterGamecock
USCBaseball
SanAntonioCock
Flameout12
Dozier Signs With th (1856)
Thornwell To The Cli (966)
SEC Football Coaches (445)
Mizzo to rent out do (426)
Archie's take on Jak (310)
Diamond Deshields le (279)
Oh, Hello on Netflix (214)
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Diamond Deshields leaving
Mizzo to rent out dorm ro
SEC Football Coaches Appr
Dozier Signs With the Lak
2018 - Israel Mukuamu
Official Baseball Coachin
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 - Jaycee Horn
WBB - Te'a Cooper

Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 540000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Best Mail-Order Steaks?

Long story short, around the end of the 6-7 2010 season, I made a deal with my 2 best friends that if Clemson ever won another National Championship while we were alive, we'd do a massive "steakhouse" feast. Prime dry-aged steaks, 2 or 3 really good sides, and a ridiculous dessert to-be-determined. At the time we kinda laughed and said we were all for it.

Well... lo and behold, that day finally came so we're planning it now. One buddy is handling dessert, the other is doing the sides, steaks went to me. I've browsed LaFrieda, Allen Bros, Debragga, etc, as well as some "smaller" companies (i.e. Snake River Farms). My question: Which company is best? And why?

Appreciate your responses.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
cockytop
Recruit

CockyCash: 200
cockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talonscockytop has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Best Mail-Order Steaks?

While I have never tried it the gourmet gents who usually cook a big spread for every Carolina home football game order steaks from snake River Farms all the time and boy do they look immaculate
cockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

https://www.costco.com/Authentic-Jap...100311435.html
Old 01-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 540000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
As amazing as that looks, I will never, ever attempt something that expensive unless I ever become a ridiculously good cook. I'll leave that to the pros. One day though!!

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Go to a local meat market and get some prime grade steaks. The will be better than anything you can get mailorder.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10248
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Go to a local meat market and get some prime grade steaks. The will be better than anything you can get mail order.
^^^^^^This

I don't know The Yancey, except online. But he generally offers sound food advice, whatever his actual food acumen may be.

As a self-proclaimed expert on meats, let me tell you: do not spend a fortune on mail order. Go to a trusted meat source that sells prime beef, whatever cuts you prefer. They will be quite a bit cheaper, most likely and definitely better. Ask for the best and tenderest cuts he can suggest.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Go to a local meat market and get some prime grade steaks. The will be better than anything you can get mailorder.
Pretty much this. It will be 10X better than anything you mail order.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Rooster'srule
Starter

Male

Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Surely they butcher cows updar in clemmons?
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

I'd recommend go to a local butcher shop with a good reputation. That would be where you would get some really good steak.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Surely they butcher cows updar in clemmons?
Nope, they take them on dates.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
Rooster'srule
Starter

Male

Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Nope, they take them on dates.
Sacred cows
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Echo what Yanc and others said, you should go to a butcher shop
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agree with this, go to a local meat market or believe it or not, Costco. Pick out some good looking steaks cut to about an inch and a half thick (you can dry age them at home if you feel the need, just google it). Personally, it comes down to how you cook it more than the actual grade of meat.

Let them get to room temp, add a little olive oil, and plenty of salt and fresh cracked pepper. 2 min each side on a screaming hot cast iron skillet and finished on a grill at 400. Cook to 140-145 and enjoy. Not much to it.

As far as steak cuts, Rib eyes, bone in if possible are IMO the best cut, followed by Filet and NY strips.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Agree with this, go to a local meat market or believe it or not, Costco. Pick out some good looking steaks cut to about an inch and a half thick (you can dry age them at home if you feel the need, just google it). Personally, it comes down to how you cook it more than the actual grade of meat.

Let them get to room temp, add a little olive oil, and plenty of salt and fresh cracked pepper. 2 min each side on a screaming hot cast iron skillet and finished on a grill at 400. Cook to 140-145 and enjoy. Not much to it.

As far as steak cuts, Rib eyes, bone in if possible are IMO the best cut, followed by Filet and NY strips.
Second Costco. They actually have very good cuts in my experience. Go with bone in, cook em medium rare at most.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Warriorchief doesn't Danny Ford have a cattle farm? buy some from him. Would be fitting to buy the steaks from the coach who helped your team get the first National Title to celebrate the second one.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Personally, it comes down to how you cook it more than the actual grade of meat.
Hey cc, you're a smart guy, and "how you cook it" is some good advice. But take my word for it. As far as meat is concerned, if you start with crap, you end up with crap. When you are talking meat, if you start with inferior, you do not end up with a succulent masterpiece. I have much experience in this area, and in my youth, I was cocky enough to think I could work my magic with anything, but to my dismay, I found my Spellbook of Meat could not turn dirt into gold dust....at least not as far as steaks are concerned.

By the way...not knocking Costco, as I am certain they have some fantastic cuts. As a matter of fact, I used to buy some excellent beef there and prepare it for a very discerning crowd.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #17
Tater Tom
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPit

Former grill cook and steakhouse assistant manager checking in...

IMO, a locally-sourced, pan seared filet mignot is your best option. 7-10 ounces. Quality over quantity. You can youtube it and find some good cooking tips from high-end chefs if you are a noob.

Those online joints and their added salt-water solutions are the suck.
Tater Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 614462087544
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

For clemson folk, Golden Corral will suffice.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #19
2spurs
Recruit

Male

2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit

Steak is all about choice. Some want grilled while others are looking for a high end Steak house touch. No matter your choice, start with a local butcher you can trust.

The perfect steak at home for me begins with olive oil, Salt (Fluer de sal if you have it) and Peppercorns(crushed at home), unsalted butter and Cast Iron Skillets.

Preheat the pan/pan's 5-7 minutes on medium-high
pat dry the steak's with paper towels.
Brush on olive oil
Evenly coat steaks with Fluer de sal and peppercorns.
Place steak in pan about 2 minutes each side. Flip times 2-3 for total of 8-10 minutes
Cover top of steak generously with unsalted butter
Place in oven until 120 temp rare, 125 medium
finally most importantly let them rest for 5 minutes before serving covering with foil.

If you want to add an extra step and have the time. let the steak have a rest between the stove top and oven til cool down again covered with butter and foil. Once cooled return to oven til above temps are reached then rest for the 5.
2spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #20
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Tom View Post
a locally-sourced, pan seared filet mignot is your best option. 7-10 ounces.
Tender is nice.

But he may prefer a more flavorable cut.