CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
MountainCock
thekob
TastyLicks
Spur's Addiction
carolina_corpsman
Blitzkrieg
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
SanAntonioCock
Best Muschamp Quote (1285)
2017 Puerto Rico Tip (520)
Charles Manson near (500)
CFN South Carolina v (440)
WBB - Class Comparis (419)
Question For Techies (282)
Is Battlefront 2 a f (219)
Roger Goodell contra (215)
Using Up Egg Whites (192)
CTE and Fred McNeil (179)
NBA's 'one-and-done' rule
2017 Puerto Rico Tip-Off:
Wofford sounds confident.
Carolina vs Clemson Histo
Raise For Champ
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
How Long Will It Take for
Jerry Meyers out as USC p
Using Up Egg Whites
Dangerous football drills

Old 01-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #21
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best Mail-Order Steaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Tom View Post
Former grill cook and steakhouse assistant manager checking in...

IMO, a locally-sourced, pan seared filet mignot is your best option. 7-10 ounces. Quality over quantity. You can youtube it and find some good cooking tips from high-end chefs if you are a noob.

Those online joints and their added salt-water solutions are the suck.
I think you buddy is trying do things on the cheap.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #22
Tater Tom
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPitTater Tom rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spurs View Post
Steak is all about choice. Some want grilled while others are looking for a high end Steak house touch. No matter your choice, start with a local butcher you can trust.

The perfect steak at home for me begins with olive oil, Salt (Fluer de sal if you have it) and Peppercorns(crushed at home), unsalted butter and Cast Iron Skillets.

Preheat the pan/pan's 5-7 minutes on medium-high
pat dry the steak's with paper towels.
Brush on olive oil
Evenly coat steaks with Fluer de sal and peppercorns.
Place steak in pan about 2 minutes each side. Flip times 2-3 for total of 8-10 minutes
Cover top of steak generously with unsalted butter
Place in oven until 120 temp rare, 125 medium
finally most importantly let them rest for 5 minutes before serving covering with foil.

If you want to add an extra step and have the time. let the steak have a rest between the stove top and oven til cool down again covered with butter and foil. Once cooled return to oven til above temps are reached then rest for the 5.
Good practices, but bad choice in fats. EVOO and butter (as much as I love them both) have low smoke temps. I cook mine in coconut oil. If the fat turns brown, its burned. Burned is bad.

Throw a pat of soft butter on top when you're done if you must.

Last edited by Tater Tom; 01-22-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Tater Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #23
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2800400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Hey cc, you're a smart guy, and "how you cook it" is some good advice. But take my word for it. As far as meat is concerned, if you start with crap, you end up with crap. When you are talking meat, if you start with inferior, you do not end up with a succulent masterpiece. I have much experience in this area, and in my youth, I was cocky enough to think I could work my magic with anything, but to my dismay, I found my Spellbook of Meat could not turn dirt into gold dust....at least not as far as steaks are concerned.

By the way...not knocking Costco, as I am certain they have some fantastic cuts. As a matter of fact, I used to buy some excellent beef there and prepare it for a very discerning crowd.
I'm going to sous vide, then sear some relatively cheap ribeyes(Bilo "USDA inspected") today for supper and test out this theory. I've heard thats the only way to make chicken salad from chicken s#!t...metaphorically speaking. We'll see.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 20000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

A thick ribeye with sea salt and pepper (just before grilling) over charcoal is my preference, medium rare, of course. Mmmmm!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #25
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Tom View Post
Good practices, but bad choice in fats. EVOO and butter (as much as I love them both) have low smoke temps. I cook mine in coconut oil. If the fat turns brown, its burned. Burned is bad.

Throw a pat of soft butter on top when you're done if you must.
I agree. However I have come to much prefer avocado oil. Here are a couple that I did this past week. With a filet I like to go a bit beyond just S&P to add flavor. This time I chose to do them in the style of a Brazilian churrasco. You can buy a specialized rub or simply make your own. A Montreal style seasoning works well too. I sell some. After the holiday rush my inventory is really low. I will restock after 2-15 to avoid Amazon's storage fees. In addition to using this as a marinade it makes an excellent base for a chimichurri with the addition of your own fresh parsley/cilantro.

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Mates-B...5098472&sr=1-8

If using any wet marinade be sure to COMPLETELY dry the steak prior to cooking. Otherwise you will simply steam the surface instead of getting a nice browning and crust.

I dry seasoned these and put them back in the fridge for a couple of ours. I brought them out an hour prior to cooking. I put a cast iron pan in the oven at 500 degrees and set a stove eye on medium high. Then I put the preheated pan on the stove and added quite a bit of the oil. Once it came to temp I added the steaks. Let them cook for 2 minutes. Flipped them for another 2 minutes. Then I reduced the heat to medium low and gave the meat another 2 minutes per side. I removed the bacon wrap and cooked it more thoughtfully while the steaks rested. I served the cooked bacon along with the sauce topped steaks. They were perfectly Pittsburg rare with a browned crust that went from edge to edge.

I was too hungry to bother with any fancy plating. I ate them with grilled peppers, onions, and fingerling potatoes, creamed spinach, and melon. I had some nice thick cut garlic buttered rye bread too.

This was the interior.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #26
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hey cc, you're a smart guy, and "how you cook it" is some good advice. But take my word for it. As far as meat is concerned, if you start with crap, you end up with crap. When you are talking meat, if you start with inferior, you do not end up with a succulent masterpiece. I have much experience in this area, and in my youth, I was cocky enough to think I could work my magic with anything, but to my dismay, I found my Spellbook of Meat could not turn dirt into gold dust....at least not as far as steaks are concerned.

By the way...not knocking Costco, as I am certain they have some fantastic cuts. As a matter of fact, I used to buy some excellent beef there and prepare it for a very discerning crowd.
I guess my point was, not to worry as much about buying the most expensive cut you can find purely because it is the most expensive, and that price does not necessarily mean high quality. Obviously, if you start with prime cut and prepare it correctly you will have a great steak, and if you take a choice or select cut and prepare it the exact same way, you will get different results. Likewise, a decent cook can take a good grade steak and get better results than a mediocre cook would get with a high end premium cut. I might not have been very clear on that.

Either way, you end up with steak so it all works out in the end.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #27
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Drop into The Fresh Market. Prime steaks on display daily...Usually around 15.00 per pound...The best in my book.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #28
Tony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100000
Tony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPit

2nd the Fresh Market.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #29
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
I'm going to sous vide, then sear some relatively cheap ribeyes(Bilo "USDA inspected") today for supper and test out this theory. I've heard thats the only way to make chicken salad from chicken s#!t...metaphorically speaking. We'll see.
What theory is that? I'm not saying you can't get a DECENT steak from basic beef; I do it ALL the time. If that is all he is concerned with, then he should go for it.

I AM saying this: you take your basic cuts, and I will bring two hand picked steaks of my choosing, not necessarily expensive, but hand-picked, and I will DESTROY you with the flavor, in a taste test.

By the way, some of the best steaks I have ever eaten, were found at the Bi-Lo, but I do have an eye for it. The reason I gave the advice to the tiger, was he seemed to be a bit inexperienced, so I felt this was the best advice for HIM.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #30
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I guess my point was, not to worry as much about buying the most expensive cut you can find purely because it is the most expensive, and that price does not necessarily mean high quality. Obviously, if you start with prime cut and prepare it correctly you will have a great steak, and if you take a choice or select cut and prepare it the exact same way, you will get different results. Likewise, a decent cook can take a good grade steak and get better results than a mediocre cook would get with a high end premium cut. I might not have been very clear on that.

Either way, you end up with steak so it all works out in the end.
I misunderstood, and I totally concur.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #31
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

When I go all out on steak dinner, I always go to the fresh market. Absolutely terrific quality meats and they have sides, really good sides, there too
Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #32
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

My go to is either a huge filet cut or porterhouse wrapped in bacon. Don't need any steak sauce with those beautiful cuts
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #33
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

I've always wondered if they could cut you a 1.5 or bigger filet cut. That's what my dream steak would be...like a 5 lb filet
Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #34
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
As amazing as that looks, I will never, ever attempt something that expensive unless I ever become a ridiculously good cook. I'll leave that to the pros. One day though!!
In that case....
https://www.costco.com/Chicago-Steak...100320587.html

If you do wagyu, make sure you know how to cook it.

Personally, I'd just buy a whole beef tenderloin and grill it whole, then slice off steaks, but I like mine rare.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #35
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Best steak I've ever eaten came from Hall's Chophouse in Charleston. If I'm not mistaken, they get theirs from Allen Brother's. Congrats on the celebratory dinner. Hopefully, we'll be having one soon!
HHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #36
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
In that case....
https://www.costco.com/Chicago-Steak...100320587.html

If you do wagyu, make sure you know how to cook it.

Personally, I'd just buy a whole beef tenderloin and grill it whole, then slice off steaks, but I like mine rare.
I have done that but technically you have chateaubriand instead of steak just as you have prime rib instead of rib eyes if you cook that whole.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #37
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
Best steak I've ever eaten came from Hall's Chophouse in Charleston. If I'm not mistaken, they get theirs from Allen Brother's. Congrats on the celebratory dinner. Hopefully, we'll be having one soon!
..Halls is fantastic. If you are ever around the Pinehurst area go to the restaruant at Pine Needles Golf Club. One of the best 28.00 Ribeyes I have ever had. Make sure to get the demi glaze in a cup. I can drink that stuff...
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I have done that but technically you have chateaubriand instead of steak just as you have prime rib instead of rib eyes if you cook that whole.
Well, if you don't cut it up and eat it all yourself like a really thick filet, it's still a steak, right?

And gluttony, obviously.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #39
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2800400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
What theory is that? I'm not saying you can't get a DECENT steak from basic beef; I do it ALL the time. If that is all he is concerned with, then he should go for it.

I AM saying this: you take your basic cuts, and I will bring two hand picked steaks of my choosing, not necessarily expensive, but hand-picked, and I will DESTROY you with the flavor, in a taste test.

By the way, some of the best steaks I have ever eaten, were found at the Bi-Lo, but I do have an eye for it. The reason I gave the advice to the tiger, was he seemed to be a bit inexperienced, so I felt this was the best advice for HIM.
All I was saying was that I heard you can sous vide less desirable steaks and get results that will taste like more desirable steaks. Meaning there are people who say that if you start with crap, you not necessarily end up with crap if kyou use fancy gadgets. I tried it last night and it is not true though. At the time of my post, I didn't know what to believe. I sous vided the ribeyes and they were decent steaks, but nothing on the level of what I'd get at fresh market, ole timey or whole foods. When I was done, I had perfect medium rare and good sear, and they were just ok at best. I wasn't disagreeing with you, was just saying that I happened to be experimenting on the topic at the time of discussion.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #40
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
All I was saying was that I heard you can sous vide less desirable steaks and get results that will taste like more desirable steaks. Meaning there are people who say that if you start with crap, you not necessarily end up with crap if kyou use fancy gadgets. I tried it last night and it is not true though. At the time of my post, I didn't know what to believe. I sous vided the ribeyes and they were decent steaks, but nothing on the level of what I'd get at fresh market, ole timey or whole foods. When I was done, I had perfect medium rare and good sear, and they were just ok at best. I wasn't disagreeing with you, was just saying that I happened to be experimenting on the topic at the time of discussion.
I do not care for the consistency of a sous vide steak.

I miss Old Cocky Talk