CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
carolina_corpsman
Captain9Dragons
LeeroyJenkins
Spurticus
2k15
GamecockTaylor
gotrice?
RGHoskins
cockymac
Which Freshmen Play (1037)
Stephen Davis Jr. (979)
Kaleb Chalmers (902)
2020 - Kelvin " (865)
Thoughts on Monday N (837)
Cockytalk Practice r (717)
Broadcasting Crew vs (711)
Is today the day it (292)
Happy Birthday HTCOC (113)
Rollcall! : NC State
WBB 2017-18 Season and Re
Which Freshmen Play in 20
Cockytalk Practice report
Stephen Davis Jr.
Broadcasting Crew vs. NC
Kaleb Chalmers
Need 2 for Kentucky
Thoughts on Monday Night'
2020 - Kelvin "Peanu

Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material
Default Low Country Boil

Having folks over for low country boil and I want to get it right. Can you guys help walk me through the timing, best ingredients, clever substitutions/additions and any other tips so that my event will be super-mega-kickass? I think I can manage a plain-old boring, run of the mill boil, but I want to take it next level. What yall got?

So far, I have(or plan to have) potatoes(red), yellow onions, sausage, shrimps, corn and I have some frozen crawfish that I've been wanting to cook.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
DrDarkMatter
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
DrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his combDrDarkMatter is developing his comb
Default Re: Low Country Boil

It sounds like you're on the right track to me. IMO, the crab boil you use is the most important thing. I use the homemade crab boil from the Sea Eagle Market in Beaufort. I've never had a better one and I guess they could mail you some if you have time to do that. Best of luck.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
donbgamecock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1500000
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

The boil sounds good but you need to think about your sides too. Where's the corn bread and the bourbon?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

And please, for the love of all things Southern, DO NOT serve it in any other manner than poured out on a table covered with newspaper.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
BeaufortCOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
BeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot material

Highly recommend the red potatoes and leave them whole (get small ones if you can). I put about 6-8 beers in. I cut a couple lemons in half and drop it in. I can't do it anymore bc I have kids, but whole jalapeno's offer a great kick if your into that. Use a ton of old bay or whatever your favorite is. Use even more old bay.

Doesn't take long to cook. Start with simmering water, old bay, beer, lemon (opt), onion, jalapeno(opt). Potato next. Sausage next. When potato close, drop corn. When potato and corn done, turn off heat and drop crawfish & shrimp. Very easy to overcook shrimp.

R.I.P. "White Circle" 1983-2015
BeaufortCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
The boil sounds good but you need to think about your sides too. Where's the corn bread and the bourbon?
Cornbread I can do, but I gave up bourbon for lent so beers are going to have to suffice. Anybody got any other ideas for sides, appetizer or dessert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
It sounds like you're on the right track to me. IMO, the crab boil you use is the most important thing. I use the homemade crab boil from the Sea Eagle Market in Beaufort. I've never had a better one and I guess they could mail you some if you have time to do that. Best of luck.
Also using this stuff my buddy gave me instead of old bay...know some people who swear by it.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Dessert - Key Lime Pie.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Leeky Cock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Leeky Cock is learning to peck

FROGMORE STEW RECIPE

Frogmore Stew features two main ingredients, fresh shrimp and newly shucked yellow corn, but most anything that is good boiled, such as crabs, redskin potatoes, and even crawfish can be added. Two keys to making a successful Frogmore Stew are:

1. Stagger the addition of the ingredients and
2. Don’t overcook the shrimp!

INGREDIENTS:
• 2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning per gallon water (or more to taste)
• several lemons, halved (optional)
• redskin potatoes (depending on size, 3 or more per person)
• spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices (Ό pound per person)
• fresh corn, broken into halves or thirds (1 ½ ears per person)
• shrimp (½ pound per person)
• butter, melted
• cocktail sauce
• sour cream
• ketchup
PREPARATION:
Fill a large steamer pot halfway with water. Add crab-boil seasoning (or more to taste). Several halved lemons may be added as well.

When the seasoned water comes to a boil, add redskin potatoes and boil for 20 minutes; then add one-inch slices of spicy smoked sausage and boil for 5-10 minutes. Add the corn) and boil another 5 minutes. (Begin timing immediately. Do not wait for it to boil again). Then add the shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes, drain, and pile on a table.

Serve with lots of paper towels and icy beverages, plus melted butter for the corn, cocktail sauce for the shrimp, and sour cream or ketchup for the potatoes.
Leeky Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
lencho30
KOLA

Male

CockyCash: 4200
lencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot material

Onions are OK but, a little overrated. I personally prefer baby golds instead of red potatoes. If you use red (any potato), DO NOT CUT, cook them whole. If you cut them, everything will be slimy. If I'm using a 38 quart pot then I'll add 1 1/2 sticks of butter, at least half a bottle of franks red hot sauce, at least a whole can of old bay (sometimes add pepper). Bring to a boil. once boiling, add potatoes and let it boil again. add corn and let it boil again. add cut up sausage (I used to use roger woods but now I'm a firm believer in Hillshire farms smoked sausage). once it boils again, add shrimp. DO NOT OVERCOOK!! If the shrimp start floating, remove from heat. Don't let them cook over a minute. Also... while prepping everything, go ahead and sprinkle old bay (or whatever seasoning your using) on the shrimp generously
Old 03-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

I've used Trish Yearwood's recipe for the last 7 years and it's always been spot on. The only difference I do is I add an extra bag of season to the pot. You won't go wrong with her recipe! just google her name and low country boil
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
BeaufortCOCK
Blue Chip

Male

BeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot material

And it's called "Frogmore stew" btw. Any other name or reference labels you immediate yankee status and all southern membership privileges are revoked.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

I agree with the using red potato's but don't cut them and I recommend using all Beef sausage from hillshire. Vidalia onions are a must with me.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufortCOCK View Post
And it's called "Frogmore stew" btw. Any other name or reference labels you immediate yankee status and all southern membership privileges are revoked.
you haven't ever heard it called beaufort stew?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
gamecockjay
Starter

Male

gamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
Their crab boil is the best I have ever had. They make a baked bean for catering that is also top notch.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
BeaufortCOCK
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
you haven't ever heard it called beaufort stew?
^^ yankee

JK man, Yes I have heard it called:

Beaufort stew
Frogmore stew
Lowcountry boil
Trash can supper
Crab boil

But Frogmore is correct answer. Frogmore is on St. Helena Is. in Beaufort County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogmore,_South_Carolina

Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
BeaufortCOCK
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
Their crab boil is the best I have ever had. They make a baked bean for catering that is also top notch.
Haven't tried their crab boil so thanks for the tip guys. I love that place. Get all my oysters from them. I've had their catering multiple times including oysters and BBQ and was never let down.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 447
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

Choice of seasoning is personal. I have always used:

https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Cra...007Z89KRE?th=1

But just go with what you have.

I think the biggest issue for LCB is the timing and sequence.

Potatoes go in first because they take the longest to cook. Then onions. Then sausage. Then corn. Then shrimp. SHrimp is only a couple of minutes at most.

The biggest "timing" issue to me is when to add the seasoning. The longer the seasoning is in the water, the stronger it will be. I usually add the seasoning near the end, before adding the shrimp. The corn is the most potent with seasoning so you may want to take some corn out before you add seasoning - as many people can't eat the corn with much seasoning.

I also generally make a "main" pot for the majority of guests and then make a smaller batch of extra hot. If you go the route of adding the seasoning at the end, it is easy to scoop some of the basic ingredients out of the main pot and add extra spice.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufortCOCK View Post
^^ yankee

JK man, Yes I have heard it called:

Beaufort stew
Frogmore stew
Lowcountry boil
Trash can supper
Crab boil

But Frogmore is correct answer. Frogmore is on St. Helena Is. in Beaufort County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogmore,_South_Carolina
(said in a slow southern draw) I will have you know my grandfather, Lyman Hall, signed the declaration of independence for the state of georgia. I'm as southern as you will ever get LOL. If it helps my favorite snack is boiled peanuts!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
Choice of seasoning is personal. I have always used:

https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Cra...007Z89KRE?th=1

But just go with what you have.

I think the biggest issue for LCB is the timing and sequence.

Potatoes go in first because they take the longest to cook. Then onions. Then sausage. Then corn. Then shrimp. SHrimp is only a couple of minutes at most.

The biggest "timing" issue to me is when to add the seasoning. The longer the seasoning is in the water, the stronger it will be. I usually add the seasoning near the end, before adding the shrimp. The corn is the most potent with seasoning so you may want to take some corn out before you add seasoning - as many people can't eat the corn with much seasoning.

I also generally make a "main" pot for the majority of guests and then make a smaller batch of extra hot. If you go the route of adding the seasoning at the end, it is easy to scoop some of the basic ingredients out of the main pot and add extra spice.
No, the seasoning should be put in as the water boils before you start.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
willyb's hotdogs#1
4-Star

Male

willyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
And please, for the love of all things Southern, DO NOT serve it in any other manner than poured out on a table covered with newspaper.
yup!!

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote