CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GuyInTheGreenHouse
carolina_corpsman
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
thekob
lencho30
Spurticus
TastyLicks
LBC
Ace Dilcock
Anonymous SEC Coache (1979)
Game time set for NC (940)
The Citadel's Fred J (529)
What jumps out at yo (519)
2018 - Jamari Brown (489)
NC State Gametime (357)
2017 SEC Tournament: (352)
DJI Drones (Spark) (327)
Music Thread: Day 15 (217)
Baseball: South Caro (0)
Baseball: South Carolina
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
What jumps out at you?
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2018 - Josh Vann
2018 - Stephon Wynn
2018 - Trajan Jeffcoat
2018 - Dorian Gerald
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
Game time set for NC Stat

Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #21
willyb's hotdogs#1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
willyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Low Country Boil

i would suggest steaming the mudbugs on the side with the crab boil, but really spice it up with cayenne and red pepper, maybe some garlic powder, just a few dashes, sprits with lemon and pour on top!!!

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #22
cockypastor
Exiled in Hogland

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talons

If you do live mudbugs don't forget to purge them before cooking. Easiest way is a cheap plastic kiddie pool filled with a super saturated salt water solution. DON'T eat any crawdads with straight tails after boiling. They died before being cooked and can make you sick.
cockypastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I can't believe not a single person here mentioned adding apple cider vinegar to the pot. It's a critical ingredient. The acetic acid helps keep the shrimp meat from sticking to their shells.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #24
gamecockpride
Recruit

Male

gamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervous

Pro Tip: After your crustacean of choice has finished boiling, turn off burner, and dump handfuls of ice directly into your pot with your stew. The ice will serve to close the pores of the shrimp, crab, etc. thus locking seasoning into the meat. Believe me it makes a difference.

Comes from Cajun relatives recipe and experience.

BTW. if you want spice this is the stuff to use right here.
https://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Pre...7JPW9P0K58BH0C
Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #25
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 179045
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Follow suggestions by Beaufort and Batgirl, timeline + condiments by Leeky( with exception of going 15 min vs 20 min initial potato) and already suggested cornbread. Can't Miss!!!
**Frogmore is meant to be served hot, not arrested with ice.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #26
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot materialboowilliam4 is USC mascot material

Old Bay seasoning bags!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #27
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 179045
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Cornbread I can do, but I gave up bourbon for lent so beers are going to have to suffice. Anybody got any other ideas for sides, appetizer or dessert?

Also using this stuff my buddy gave me instead of old bay...know some people who swear by it.
Unless you know for certain that EVERY person that is going to be having their meal for that evening or afternoon is into "fire" spicy, I wouldn't go there. The last thing you want is for folks(especially the femmes) to be walking away from the table hungry.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Unless you know for certain that EVERY person that is going to be having their meal for that evening or afternoon is into "fire" spicy, I wouldn't go there. The last thing you want is for folks(especially the femmes) to be walking away from the table hungry.
or running from the table to the bathroom!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #29
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 10000000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Funny you say that. Both my wife and her mother love spicy. The mother-in-law can sit there and eat habeneros like they're nothing. I gave her some reaper sauce to try, and she just took a deep breath, exhaled, and went for more.

Anyways yeah good advice nonetheless. I know my son loves him some low country boil, but he can't quite handle anything spicy just yet.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #30
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

highstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
you haven't ever heard it called beaufort stew?
Absolutely it is Frogmore Stew, not Low Country, not Beaufort...Devin Taylor's Dad, Larry, taught me how to cook it and I keep seeing people "screw it up constantly"..The Yankee invasion of the 80's just could not stand to leave it alone and had to screw it up with polish sausage/Keilbasa, mushy potatoes, etc.

Just cook the Hillshire with the Old Bay and beer...season the corn and all the mushy stuff in a separate pot and cook..If you cook it all together, most people will screw it up...

Hey Beaufort, Walter Gay would mess his pants up with these new versions...
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #31
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
And please, for the love of all things Southern, DO NOT serve it in any other manner than poured out on a table covered with newspaper.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #32
BeaufortCOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
BeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot materialBeaufortCOCK is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
Absolutely it is Frogmore Stew, not Low Country, not Beaufort...Devin Taylor's Dad, Larry, taught me how to cook it and I keep seeing people "screw it up constantly"..The Yankee invasion of the 80's just could not stand to leave it alone and had to screw it up with polish sausage/Keilbasa, mushy potatoes, etc.

Just cook the Hillshire with the Old Bay and beer...season the corn and all the mushy stuff in a separate pot and cook..If you cook it all together, most people will screw it up...

amen

My "secret" is to turn off the heat before the shrimp hit the water, and be ready to pull the basket in under 2min. Overcooked shrimp is a felony in Beaufort county.

If your shrimp are sticking to the shell you overcooked them plain and simple. I've only used the ice method on stone crab claws and I admit it makes the meat pull away from the shell and you get the whole piece, but NEVER do it to your frogmore stew.

R.I.P. "White Circle" 1983-2015
BeaufortCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #33
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Please cook up your sausage in a cast iron frying pan with onions...Then poor the whole dang pan into your boil. Do this right after you put your skrimps in. Sausage cooked like I have directed will add a wonderful flavor to your pot. Boiling sausage will not release the flavor of the meat and will dilute the meat taste...
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #34
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post

I've heard it called beaufort since the 70's but only recently did I hear it called low country boil. You can cook it all together but you can't over cook it you need to stay to your times per product.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #35
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Please cook up your sausage in a cast iron frying pan with onions...Then poor the whole dang pan into your boil. Do this right after you put your skrimps in. Sausage cooked like I have directed will add a wonderful flavor to your pot. Boiling sausage will not release the flavor of the meat and will dilute the meat taste...
I've got to try this. Would you add any of the old bay to the sausage in the skillet? I only use vidalia onions would this be an issue?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #36
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

The belief in my family is that the addition of potatoes is entirely dependent on the number of people you're serving and your budget. If we do it for a smaller crowd the taters are omitted so you can eat more shrimp. Taters are only added for the purpose of feeding more people and getting more Frogmore Stew for your money, especially when feeding a larger crowd. Sounds like you may be feeding a bigger crowd so assuming you'll want to include the taters.

I also have to disagree with Batgirl. Serving on a table covered in newspaper is not a must. I've had it that way before, but if you want to class it up a little bit it's totally acceptable to put everything on a platter. The presentation should be dependent on the type of event.

Source: My dad is from Frogmore.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #37
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
The belief in my family is that the addition of potatoes is entirely dependent on the number of people you're serving and your budget. If we do it for a smaller crowd the taters are omitted so you can eat more shrimp. Taters are only added for the purpose of feeding more people and getting more Frogmore Stew for your money, especially when feeding a larger crowd. Sounds like you may be feeding a bigger crowd so assuming you'll want to include the taters.

I also have to disagree with Batgirl. Serving on a table covered in newspaper is not a must. I've had it that way before, but if you want to class it up a little bit it's totally acceptable to put everything on a platter. The presentation should be dependent on the type of event.

We use a long wooden platter to put it in. I've got a couple people that only want to eat the potatoes (yes they are strange)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #38
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

highstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPit

First time I even had it LT had put some stone crabs in also. We used to set a pot or two near the rock jetty at Fripp Inlet, but people kept stealing them...Some of the recipes that people are talking about here don't even resemble Frogmore stew...Where did you grow up in Beaufort? Was in in Pigeon Point before buying a house on Ladys Island, but have been gone since 87..
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #39
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I've got to try this. Would you add any of the old bay to the sausage in the skillet? I only use vidalia onions would this be an issue?
..No dont do that...Let the sausage be sausage. It has all the seasoning in it already..
Old 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #40
willyb's hotdogs#1
4-Star

Male

willyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post

yall must got money!!

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote