CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Y Formation
taylorssc
SwampFox
Three and Out
GregoryHouse
ShutTheSuccop
GeoCocky66
Ace Dilcock
ConwayGamecock
Grad Transfer PG Lin (154)
Describe this offsea (139)
What Are Your Favori (137)
Music Thread: Day 18 (60)
You Decide (45)
Grad Transfer PG Lindsey
new D1 projections
Lindy's and Athlon's are
Describe this offseason i
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
Last Three Years
‘They deserve it’: LSU co
Men's team next season
You Decide

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material
Default Does the two-Big system really work for us?

Frank hasn't been able to make it work consistently.

Dawn had to shift away from it after Alaina got hurt and also while A'ja was also injured earlier in the season.

A Big being out with an injury is the same as one being on the bench with foul trouble in terms of manpower.

Rather than slump in Feb-Mar like we have done the last two seasons, I would rather see us go to a full-court game instead when that happens.

I really enjoyed watching Kotsar and Silva attack the Zags early in the game.

Felder can't make the pass over the top because he's 5'10' and Gravett hasn't been that much better.

I just think we need to try something different next season.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: Does the two-Big system really work for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

Dawn had to shift away from it after Alaina got hurt and also while A'ja was also injured earlier in the season.

A Big being out with an injury is the same as one being on the bench with foul trouble in terms of manpower.

Rather than slump in Feb-Mar like we have done the last two seasons, I would rather see us go to a full-court game instead when that happens.

Felder can't make the pass over the top because he's 5'10' and Gravett hasn't been that much better.

It all depends on the players you have. This year we knew we were going to have some issues down there because Silva was the most experienced returning big. I think next year our bigs will be very good and we'll be playing with 2 bigs on the court the vast majority of the time. But the reality is the 2 big system works pretty damn well, if you want more proof look at the National Championship game that tips in a bit, both teams work with 2 bigs on the floor at all times.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 950
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
It all depends on the players you have. This year we knew we were going to have some issues down there because Silva was the most experienced returning big. I think next year our bigs will be very good and we'll be playing with 2 bigs on the court the vast majority of the time. But the reality is the 2 big system works pretty damn well, if you want more proof look at the National Championship game that tips in a bit, both teams work with 2 bigs on the floor at all times.
I think if you have two bigs, then at least one of them has to be able to hit those 15 foot jumpers consistently. If both bigs are just back-to-the-basket type of guys, then the lane gets a little clogged. Both title game contenders fit that mold.
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmac08 View Post
I think if you have two bigs, then at least one of them has to be able to hit those 15 foot jumpers consistently. If both bigs are just back-to-the-basket type of guys, then the lane gets a little clogged. Both title game contenders fit that mold.
I agree. Silva fits the mold of that guy who can hit from 15 feet and I have a feeling Kotsar will look like that as well next year. I really think next year's team will be a handful when it comes to matching up with our bigs. Keita will surprise people as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Frank likes bigs. We were at a disadvantage this season because we had only two who Frank thought were good enough to play a lot, and they were both young. Next season we should have more bigs and better bigs, and I think we will play at least two bigs unless its a special situation.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Frank likes bigs. We were at a disadvantage this season because we had only two who Frank thought were good enough to play a lot, and they were both young. Next season we should have more bigs and better bigs, and I think we will play at least two bigs unless its a special situation.
Yep. Remember how big we played a year ago? Thorny at the 2, Carrera at the 3, Kacinas at the 4, and Chat at the 5. Martin will always lean towards bigger teams when he can, does great for rebounding margin. I have a feeling size will be a regular thing from here on out with Frank's teams.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 AM   #7
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Keita will be much, much better next season and so will Maik and Silva. Maik started almost every game of his freshman season on a Final Four team, which is amazing.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Yeah, I think we are going in the opposite direction, with the traditional Center/PF/SF. Kotsar is the Center with Gueye and Cudd gradually getting mixed in, Silva will play some if the 7 footers aren't ready to help. Silva is the classic PF, mobile and athletic. He will get backed up by Haase, might see Keita there some also. SF will be Doumbia, Keita, maybe some Hinson.

Frank prefers to have a lot of bigs that he can rotate, so he can pound inside for points and rebounds. He had to get away from that this year because of past wash-outs, like Cobb and Baltimore last year. He will be set with talent and depth next year (although very young).
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 73360
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

We were an eyelash from the ncg with a freshman center. Before we say something should change let's let some development take place..sheesh.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Nah, its not working. The system only got us to the Final 4. Lets change everything.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

Definitely need to change things up because obviously whatever we are doing is not working.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Nah, its not working. The system only got us to the Final 4. Lets change everything.
Ok...then 3 bigs it is!

Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
/thread
Old 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

The two bigs worked for Gonzaga, so it can work in today's spread the floor era.

And it not working in the past??? Team made the final four, I think it worked....just ran into a slightly better team in Gonzaga.

Should probably get used to it, because the team is about to get beefy with this upcoming recruiting class.
Cudd (7'0) and Haase (6'8, 250) are two pure post players while Doumbia (6'7) is a swing man.

As for the women...I think the 1 big, four smalls worked better, and is something we will probably see more of moving forward....it really just depends on the personnel Staley brings in. This upcoming class really doesn't have a player above 6'2.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
gameCOCKadoodle
Blue Chip

Male

gameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudlygameCOCKadoodle is crowing loudly

I'd like to see Silva or Kotsar become a threat for taking three pointers, especially from the top of the key. They both have 15-16 foot range and they both have the ability to drive. If they could spot up and knock down that 3 from the top of the key, it could really help open up the driving lanes.
gameCOCKadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #16
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062845361251
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameCOCKadoodle View Post
I'd like to see Silva or Kotsar become a threat for taking three pointers, especially from the top of the key. They both have 15-16 foot range and they both have the ability to drive. If they could spot up and knock down that 3 from the top of the key, it could really help open up the driving lanes.
Thats not going to happen. Silva and Kotsar will never be a deep threat regularly. Silva may make one every 10 games or so but Kotsar will never make threes like that. Have to be happy with what they can do, that is box out, block, rebound and slam the shit outta of that ball.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #17
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Haase and Doumbia can make threes. They shot a lot of them in high school. I expect Kotsar to take more mid-range shots next season. Probably Silva too.

I want to see Kotsar dunk some in games. He tried to finesse everything this season, but he is 6-10, so he should be dunking occasionally. I expect him to be more aggressive with the ball next season.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #18
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Haase and Doumbia can make threes. They shot a lot of them in high school. I expect Kotsar to take more mid-range shots next season. Probably Silva too.

I want to see Kotsar dunk some in games. He tried to finesse everything this season, but he is 6-10, so he should be dunking occasionally. I expect him to be more aggressive with the ball next season.
The way I look at Kotsar is this, he is either going to start dunking the ball or he is going to look like those mid major centers who take big men to school without dunking. Regardless I think we're good with Kotsar.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #19
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Thats not going to happen. Silva and Kotsar will never be a deep threat regularly. Silva may make one every 10 games or so but Kotsar will never make threes like that. Have to be happy with what they can do, that is box out, block, rebound and slam the shit outta of that ball.
I don't know about Kotsar but I really think you underestimate Silva. Just a gut feeling, he shoots more than 30% from beyond the arc next year. When you consider the limited PT he had coming into his USC career and the amount of range he added in a single year combined with a pretty nice stroke, I think we may have a PF who can hit 3's.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #20
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

I've said it multiple times - Silva will be an All-American by his senior year. He has all the physical tools; the only thing he lacks is experience.