CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
Spur's Addiction
Three and Out
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
GregoryHouse
kick_ball
RGHoskins
Rooster'srule
smoovecock
This could be troubl (1277)
First home game, und (1036)
The difference betwe (880)
Kansas City Royals: (366)
2019 - Jaelin Humphr (355)
Hot dogs (290)
D. English & M.L (284)
eclipse fly over (96)
2017 Gamecocks Offen (86)
2018 - Jonathan Gipson
2017 Signee - Keisean Nix
Rico Dowdle
2018 - Channing Tindall
The difference between 7
2017 Gamecocks Offensive
2018 - Bryce Thompson
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Raiqwon O'Neal
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn

Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #21
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gray and Davis declare for draft per Feinberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Since they would both be 5th year seniors, I think it is pretty safe to assume they will graduate this spring with a degree.
Sounds right.
If so, they have their degree and are striking while the iron is probably hottest.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
The average WNBA salary is only about $72,000. I guess it depends on your definition of "getting paid". The whole league salary is between 10-11 Million/year spread among ~150 players.
I agree with you in concept. I wish salaries for the women were higher. But I don't control the economics of the league.

FWIW, I also wish salaries of Teachers, those in the military, firemen, police and government workers were higher too. But that's a different discussion.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

I will miss both players, but it's a product of success. We still have a lot of returning talent and an excellent class coming in. They both deserve our unwavering support.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #24
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Do people not realize that they are actually seniors academically?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #25
Kinghardheaded
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spurs

This actually makes total sense. They have a national championship, they will have degrees in the spring, and they can go pretty high in this draft considering it's not a lot of talent. Next year's draft is loaded. Not to mention they will make a lot more than 72k after the WNBA season is over and they go overseas. Women's players overseas are paid like our NBA players. I think it's a great idea.

I don't think it's about chemistry, they came here for a national championship and got it. If I was eligible and had my degree I would be gone as well.
Kinghardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
I suppose I get it. $72 grand for a kid in college probably seems like a ton of money. It's hardly worth giving up a free college degree though. And, depending on where they play, that $72,000 may not go very far. The highest paid player in the WNBA is an average Joe salary-wise in NYC or LA.
The average salary for someone with a bachelor's degree is in the 50's. It may not be NBA cash, but it's better than someone with an entry level office gig.

And it isn't mutually exclusive. They can come back and finish the degree and then enter the grind. Plus, if she invests some of the differential in salary (Which I know no one ever would, but hang on), it makes a lot more financial sense.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
gAmkok
Let's get started already

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

I'm disappointed they're leaving but transfer players, by definition, are transient pieces to the team; they move in for a season or two and move on. If they were staying, next year for the team would seem more certain, but a National Championship will help fill the holes they leave. We'll be just fine. I trust Dawn.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #28
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I'm not mad at the players, but Tennesee fans have to be jumping for joy right now. The ones not too busy picketing to get their coach fired. Hopefully we will some more transfers. We are still very good, team but we are now in rebuilding mode and it sucks that Wilson's senior year will be a rebuilding year.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #29
GAMEKEM
Recruit

Male

GAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
What's really sad is that you don't read about UConn players leaving early for the draft. As near as I can tell, they remain committed to the team until their eligibility is gone. Not sure what that vibe is, but I sure wish we could create it in Columbia.

Not just for women's basketball...but also in football. Just sad.
That's not true Morgan Tuck of UConn did that just last year. I don't think there are bad vibes in Columbia, it's just that these two young women are doing what's best for their careers. It sucks to see them go as a fan but I can't blame them, they got what they wanted in a National Championship and depending on how their credits transferred they are likely graduating soon anyway. So they really don't have an incentive to stay, especially when playing another year could mean a career ending injury with no pay. I wish good luck to those ladies but I will sure miss them.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #30
FurmanCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
That's not true Morgan Tuck of UConn did that just last year. I don't think there are bad vibes in Columbia, it's just that these two young women are doing what's best for their careers. It sucks to see them go as a fan but I can't blame them, they got what they wanted in a National Championship and depending on how their credits transferred they are likely graduating soon anyway. So they really don't have an incentive to stay, especially when playing another year could mean a career ending injury with no pay. I wish good luck to those ladies but I will sure miss them.

I think she is the exception. If you look at the graduation rate for UConn's 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 classes, it is 100%. While their men's team was around 22% for the same period. I understand people wanting to get paid; but some teams are apparently better than others in creating an atmosphere in which the athletes would rather come back and play for the team and wait until later to be paid.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #31
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

No bad vibes at at all. We still have a good Nucleus of Wilson, Cuevas-Moore, Harris, and Jennings. We will still have good depth. It's just a matter of what Dawn can put together with all our young players and how quickly she can get them to gel. I think we can still make a good post season run. But I would have to put us as the second favorite to start the year in the SEC behind Tennessee. They didn't really lose anyone, are getting Tea Cooper back and a have a great freshman class. Doesn't mean we won't actually be better than them though.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
GAMEKEM
Recruit

Male

GAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spurs

Quote:
I think she is the exception. If you look at the graduation rate for UConn's 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 classes, it is 100%. While their men's team was around 22% for the same period. I understand people wanting to get paid; but some teams are apparently better than others in creating an atmosphere in which the athletes would rather come back and play for the team and wait until later to be paid.
Well for one thing they fell short of a National title in all those years except 2009 and I'm not sure they even had key players who were eligible to leave early on those teams. But again I don't think there is no bad vibes here, it's just business. This will likely be their best draft stocks considering next year they will have to worry about Gabby Williams, Deshields, Vivians, Nurse, A'ja , Kelsey Mitchell and a whole host of other too players to compete with. This year they are looking at basically sure bets as 1st round picks.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #33
TaySC
Starter

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
The best women go and play in foreign leagues as well as the WNBA. I heard once about Diana Taurasi taking a season off from her team bc her Russian team payed her to take the time off. The 72k can be supplemented by a LOT paid by Russian oligarchs and others like them.
BUT that means you have to go live overseas, away from your home and family and around a lot or people that may not speak your language.

There are pros and cons to everything, but women playing pro basketball doesn't have a ton of upside compared to the men.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #34
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

We really need to pay Dawn more, because with these players leaving she is going to have to put in some extract work to make some more magic happen.

1. Win the National Championship. 2. Lose 2 players to the WNBA draft and act cool about it 3. Come in with a new crop of players and new stars emerge and still are a top program competing for championships. That is the trifecta right there. We have a good year next year and will are going to be in great shape for a long time.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #35
FurmanCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
Well for one thing they fell short of a National title in all those years except 2009 and I'm not sure they even had key players who were eligible to leave early on those teams. But again I don't think there is no bad vibes here, it's just business. This will likely be their best draft stocks considering next year they will have to worry about Gabby Williams, Deshields, Vivians, Nurse, A'ja , Kelsey Mitchell and a whole host of other too players to compete with. This year they are looking at basically sure bets as 1st round picks.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 was the Freshmen year for those classes, which meant they graduated in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- And UConn won National Championships in 2008 and 2009 and again in 2013 -- which means everyone in those four classes won either 2 or 3 national championships.

And yet, Gabby Williams, Vivians, and Nurse are all staying in a draft year that would secure top draft status. And they have have two championships to pad their resume, which limits an argument that they are coming back for a championship. It seems to me that any argument you make for a SC player to leave would apply equally to a UConn player...but we don't see them leaving early this year.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #36
DJCatfish
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPitDJCatfish rules the CockPit

Quote:
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 was the Freshmen year for those classes, which meant they graduated in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- And UConn won National Championships in 2008 and 2009 and again in 2013 -- which means everyone in those four classes won either 2 or 3 national championships.

And yet, Gabby Williams, Vivians, and Nurse are all staying in a draft year that would secure top draft status. And they have have two championships to pad their resume, which limits an argument that they are coming back for a championship. It seems to me that any argument you make for a SC player to leave would apply equally to a UConn player...
but we don't see them leaving early this year.
I feel like the point has been made several times now that the key difference is that Gray and David are ACADEMIC SENIORS and are graduating, in contrast to the three players you mentioned. You really expect them to forgo gainful employment in their intended profession to do one year of graduate study in a degree they probably won't even be able to finish? That's ridiculous, be happy they delivered a Natty, got their degree, and wish them well going forward.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #37
GAMEKEM
Recruit

Male

Quote:
And yet, Gabby Williams, Vivians, and Nurse are all staying in a draft year that would secure top draft status. And they have have two championships to pad their resume, which limits an argument that they are coming back for a championship. It seems to me that any argument you make for a SC player to leave would apply equally to a UConn player...but we don't see them leaving early this year.
Well Vivians hasn't won a National Championship and those other players aren't 22 so they aren't eligible to declare for the draft this year which is my point. Gray and Davis meet the requirement because of transferring rules forcing them to sit a year out.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #38
GAMEKEM
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
I feel like the point has been made several times now that the key difference is that Gray and David are ACADEMIC SENIORS and are graduating, in contrast to the three players you mentioned. You really expect them to forgo gainful employment in their intended profession to do one year of graduate study in a degree they probably won't even be able to finish? That's ridiculous, be happy they delivered a Natty, got their degree, and wish them well going forward.
Thank you, this is a great summary of what I meant.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #39
FurmanCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

No, my points are entirely selfish for the benefit of the team. I will pull for their success in whatever they decide to pursue; however, I think another year with the team would increase their draft stock. Having played primarily this year through a 2 big system limited their stats. Next year, we will most likely be running something much similar to what we ran these last five games -- a system that would have given them a serious chance for All American status. Hopefully they will grade out well in their evaluations, but neither are listed in the first three rounds of the WNBA Mock Draft Board.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #40
TaySC
Starter

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I hope we get away from taking in transfers so often. They definitely helped us win a Title, but know let's do it without these 1 and done type players.

Last season we had the 1 grad transfer that had 1 season left and this year we have thsee 2 that had to sit out a season and only played 1 season.

These remind me of JuCo players in football.... occasionally you have to take a few to fill voids, but if you plan right they shouldn't really be necessary.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote