CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
TKE226
LegalCock
Spurticus
Captain9Dragons
AR1
Spur's Addiction
The Yancey
Senior Rooster
Uniforms vs Clemson (1652)
Congratulations (1632)
South Carolina (755)
Mike Leach on CFP (683)
This Egg Bowl might (308)
GameDay Kickoff: The (307)
FCC to end net neutr (264)
Tailgating with dogs (196)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (190)
Do you feel awkward (145)
GameDay Kickoff: The play
Uniforms vs Clemson
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Can we run the ball?
2018 - Dorian Gerald
HAPPY TURKEY DAY MY FRIEN
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Clemson opponents avg rec
Mike Leach on CFP

Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #41
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gray and Davis declare for draft per Feinberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
I hope we get away from taking in transfers so often. They definitely helped us win a Title, but know let's do it without these 1 and done type players.

Last season we had the 1 grad transfer that had 1 season left and this year we have thsee 2 that had to sit out a season and only played 1 season.

These remind me of JuCo players in football.... occasionally you have to take a few to fill voids, but if you plan right they shouldn't really be necessary.
I'll take 2 grad transfers every year if it keeps up getting to the final four.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #42
GAMEKEM
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
GAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spursGAMEKEM has earned his spurs

Remember nothing is set in stone, so they could always rescind their intentions. As for WNBA mock drafts they mostly consist of 4 year seniors so I wouldn't read too much into them not being listed. The same thing happened with Jewel Lloyd from Notre Dame and she was the #1 overall pick.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #43
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Banned

Male

GuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot materialGuyInTheGreenHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Wow that's pretty crappy. Finish school and get the degree then go play hoops. Gives something to fall back on.
Common misconception.

USC is currently one of the programs that allows those student-athletes which leave in good academic standing to return to school on scholarship to finish their degree after their playing days are done.

So, in essence...while $72k is not a massive payday, its a lot more than they're making now. And honestly- given its the WNBA, how much are you really going to increase your value by staying an additional year?
GuyInTheGreenHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #44
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
The average WNBA salary is only about $72,000. I guess it depends on your definition of "getting paid". The whole league salary is between 10-11 Million/year spread among ~150 players.
Thats a nice salary for a 22 yr old to play bb..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #45
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645373229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
The average salary for someone with a bachelor's degree is in the 50's. It may not be NBA cash, but it's better than someone with an entry level office gig.

And it isn't mutually exclusive. They can come back and finish the degree and then enter the grind. Plus, if she invests some of the differential in salary (Which I know no one ever would, but hang on), it makes a lot more financial sense.
That's not an average starting salary in SC with a bachelor's degree. Maybe with a Master's.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #46
Phillygamecock
4-Star

Male

Phillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudly

There was always the chance that they could go early, although I'm more surprised about Gray than Davis. If we hadn't won the championship this year I think they both stay. But I am not mad. They came to SC to win a championship and they have it. They've done so much for the university in their short time here. If they also have their degrees (after being in school for 4 years) then good for them - strike while the iron's hot.
Phillygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #47
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106487138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

It just sucks to lose them when nobody else is losing anyone early. We were going to be the favorite with UConn to get back to the championship, but now it's gonna be pretty tough to even win the sec.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #48
Kinghardheaded
Walk On

Male

Kinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spursKinghardheaded has earned his spurs

I'm not sure what JUCO guards and 5th year guards are available, but I expect the staff to do some recruiting to fill the void. We might be surprised at what Dawn comes up with.
Kinghardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #49
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Do people not realize that they are actually seniors academically?
people just act selfishly and repeat non-sense about degrees without thinking about it. These women brought us a championship and are seniors in college. I'm happy for them and wish them lots of Russian money and WNBA publicity.

Le Olive de Sudan!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #50
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
No, my points are entirely selfish.
fify

Le Olive de Sudan!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #51
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

This is one of the dangers of taking players that transfer from other programs - regular transfers and not graduate transfers. The mandatory red-shirt year gives them the opportunity to complete their academic responsibilities before their playing eligibility is complete, and if they are stellar players and leaders, they could very well leave early for the W.

Kelsey Bone transferred out of USC to Texas A&M to get back to her home state and be closer to her family. She transferred after her freshman season, so after her red-shirt year had three instead of two years to play for the Aggies. But she only played two years there and left after her junior year for the WNBA, with her college degree in her hand.

Another bad gamble in taking transfers is that it takes the power of preparing and building the roster to its maximum level out of the coaching staff's hands. The possibility of whether or not the transfer player(s) stays or goes is entirely in their own camps - the staff can't bring in top talent to replace those players, because what if those players decide to stay? So they have to hope that the talent on the roster if those players DO choose to leave, will be good enough to bolster the team after they leave.

The one good thing here is, both Alisha and Kaela helped the team win the natty. They are leaving, but are leaving the program at the highest levels its ever been at, and recruiting will only benefit from their one year's work, regardless.

Next year may not end up as promising as it would have been had they chose to stay, but the team will still be successful, and should still be a contender for the SEC title. Grissett, Jackson, and Troup will be called upon more as freshmen to step up and help A'ja, Bianca, and Tyasha keep the wins coming...
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #52
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Mechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot material

I doubt they make in the 70s out the gate...i think that is average so one would assume on a second contract.

I read i think a year ago that Kobe was making more $$ than all of the ladies in the WNBA combined.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #53
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5000000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Bout 50k

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #54
evilpoptart
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5028
evilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

Both gray and Davis were instrumental in winning the title here. Thanks to them for thier contributions and good luck in the wnba!
evilpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #55
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
people just act selfishly and repeat non-sense about degrees without thinking about it. These women brought us a championship and are seniors in college. I'm happy for them and wish them lots of Russian money and WNBA publicity.
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can criticize. If they want to chase their dream, let them chase their dream.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #56
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1851285
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

One of my friend's has a son who graduated last year from USC with an Electrical Engineering degree and got a job in Greenwood starting at $70 grand a year.
I'm sure it's not all about money as much as chasing a dream.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #57
Colatown
Two Deep

Male

Colatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot material

The minimum salary for rookies is $34,500 . Coates is probably the only one who will get more than the minimum .
Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #58
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Both had to sit out for a year and more than earned their keep this year.

I suppose it would be different if they were true Juniors, but this stuff happens.

I would have stayed to go for two Natty's in a row with a good player like A'ja, though.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #59
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
Both had to sit out for a year and more than earned their keep this year.

I suppose it would be different if they were true Juniors, but this stuff happens.

I would have stayed to go for two Natty's in a row with a good player like A'ja, though.
How much money do average players make in the WNBA.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #60
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
What's really sad is that you don't read about UConn players leaving early for the draft. As near as I can tell, they remain committed to the team until their eligibility is gone. Not sure what that vibe is, but I sure wish we could create it in Columbia.

Not just for women's basketball...but also in football. Just sad.
Its more complicated than that.. in this situation both girls sat out a year and are not returning for 5th years. because of the extra year they meet wnba age qualifications and will leave.

Uconn generally doesnt have transfers so they are the same age as transfers when they are seniors..they then are caugbt in the wnba 22 age rule..trust me, they would go if possible.

Wilson would be out now if she could and so would uconn players..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote