CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
robgusc76
MountainCock
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
NAGamec0ckFan
Three and Out
The Yancey
Dear Muschamp: Not (1456)
CFN Team ranking 1-1 (1011)
I hope Jamarcus King (753)
Goergia Dome Collaps (413)
#600 (368)
New Whip (262)
NCAAF: CLEMSON TATER (239)
NFL TV Partners Set (88)
Funny story from my (83)
4 Clemson Tickets wi (39)
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
Clemson
CFN Team ranking 1-130
2018 - Channing Tindall
2019 - Ani Izuchukwu
2018 - Jaycee Horn - Tenn
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Clemson opponents avg rec
2018 - Dorian Gerald
NFL TV Partners Set to Lo

Old 04-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default 2017 - Cam Johnson (BB Grad Transfer)

Frank will be having an in-home with Cam Johnson this weekend. Grad transfer from Pitt, would be a huge coup if we found a way to land him since programs like Kentucky are targeting him as well. 6'8 wing player who can shoot the 3 above 40%. Would be an absolutely huge get that would help us in a big way. Wouldn't say great odds but you never know once Frank gets in front of him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ameron-johnson
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1061017
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2017 - Cam Johnson (BB Grad Transfer)

Instant starter in the 3 spot if we can find a way to get him.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Instant starter in the 3 spot if we can find a way to get him.
I think Frank wants to play three bigs, he prefers that and we are not as deep at Guard, esp. if PJ likes what the pros tell him. So no three guard offense in 2017-2018.

I think Doumbia and maybe Keita can play the 3, but Johnson would give them another year to develop. Or be a placeholder so we can get an athletic 3 in 2018 (cough, Zion Williamson, cough).
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
I think Frank wants to play three bigs, he prefers that and we are not as deep at Guard, esp. if PJ likes what the pros tell him. So no three guard offense in 2017-2018.

I think Doumbia and maybe Keita can play the 3, but Johnson would give them another year to develop. Or be a placeholder so we can get an athletic 3 in 2018 (cough, Zion Williamson, cough).
Keita can't play the 3 right now, he would have to lose serious weight. He's been bulking up to play the 4 and came in bigger than I thought he would out of HS. He'd get torched on the perimeter on a consistent basis. Cam Johnson would dramatically enhance our chances at making Tournament even if PJ leaves. If PJ comes back and we get Cam we could be insanely dangerous.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Keita can't play the 3 right now, he would have to lose serious weight. He's been bulking up to play the 4 and came in bigger than I thought he would out of HS. He'd get torched on the perimeter on a consistent basis. Cam Johnson would dramatically enhance our chances at making Tournament even if PJ leaves. If PJ comes back and we get Cam we could be insanely dangerous.
I am kinda surprised that Keita is getting bigger - I thought we had enough at the 4/5 spots with Silva, Kotsar, Haase and the two seven footers. I know the seven footers are raw, but I hoped that we could get a few minutes a game from them.

Keita has the potential to be a major contributor inside. But we need bodies at SF - maybe Frank is planning on getting someone like Johnson at SF. If he is, I think Dozier is gone and it does not bode well for Tut - even if Dozier goes, we are one over the limit. And Tut was the only other potential SF. Blanton is a possibility for a medical RS, but we need him at Guard if Dozier leaves.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I am kinda surprised that Keita is getting bigger - I thought we had enough at the 4/5 spots with Silva, Kotsar, Haase and the two seven footers. I know the seven footers are raw, but I hoped that we could get a few minutes a game from them.

Keita has the potential to be a major contributor inside. But we need bodies at SF - maybe Frank is planning on getting someone like Johnson at SF. If he is, I think Dozier is gone and it does not bode well for Tut - even if Dozier goes, we are one over the limit. And Tut was the only other potential SF. Blanton is a possibility for a medical RS, but we need him at Guard if Dozier leaves.
He had outgrown SF before stepping on the court in a Gamecock uniform last year unless he was physical freak of nature. He's athletically gifted but he isn't capable of playing the 3. The reality is our 3 reliable returners down low are hopefully going to be Silva, Kotsar, and Keita so he is needed down low. You hope to get quality minutes out of KG but at this point in his career that's a crap shoot and of course hope that Hasse is ready to go but you can't make assumptions with true freshmen. Cudd is almost a definite RS so we aren't as set in terms of depth there as you would like. Frank loves size but he won't sacrifice defense to get more size on the court and throwing Keita at the 3 would be sacrificing defense in a big way. Finding a way to land Johnson would be massive for us next year, not to mention he has 2 years to play not just 1 because he has taken a medical RS.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

It is possible to play an agile big at SF, but they would have to lay off their man enough to try to keep them from driving by them while staying close enough to guard the three point shot. Not easy, but could be done with the right guy. Or, you could play zone when playing three bigs.

I keep expecting to hear of someone transferring. I don't know if Frank has met with each player yet. I think he does that after every season. If he hasn't, he probably will soon. I expect that if we can get Johnson, we would take him. He is probably too good to turn down. But, we have stiff competition for him.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
He had outgrown SF before stepping on the court in a Gamecock uniform last year unless he was physical freak of nature. He's athletically gifted but he isn't capable of playing the 3. The reality is our 3 reliable returners down low are hopefully going to be Silva, Kotsar, and Keita so he is needed down low. You hope to get quality minutes out of KG but at this point in his career that's a crap shoot and of course hope that Hasse is ready to go but you can't make assumptions with true freshmen. Cudd is almost a definite RS so we aren't as set in terms of depth there as you would like. Frank loves size but he won't sacrifice defense to get more size on the court and throwing Keita at the 3 would be sacrificing defense in a big way. Finding a way to land Johnson would be massive for us next year, not to mention he has 2 years to play not just 1 because he has taken a medical RS.
The normal progression for a raw big man with potential is to get some regular minutes as a Sophomore, then start as a Junior. I would expect KG to get five minutes or so per half next year, just to give us some size to mess with opponents. He will help with D and rebounding, just needs another year before he can so much scoring.

Haase has some offensive skills and has some bulk, just don't know how he will adjust to the quickness in the SEC.

So Doumbia and Cam next year, Doumbia and Zion after that...
Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
The normal progression for a raw big man with potential is to get some regular minutes as a Sophomore, then start as a Junior. I would expect KG to get five minutes or so per half next year, just to give us some size to mess with opponents. He will help with D and rebounding, just needs another year before he can so much scoring.

Haase has some offensive skills and has some bulk, just don't know how he will adjust to the quickness in the SEC.

So Doumbia and Cam next year, Doumbia and Zion after that...
Cam is actually a rare grad transfer, 2 years of eligibility from what I understand. Took a medical RS his freshman season. So he is even more valuable. And as far as KG I'm interested to see his progression, he can really move for a 7 footer. My guess as of now is that he logs between 5-10 minutes per game but there are so many variables that make a guess like that useless right now.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234644973229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Cam would be a perfect addition to our team and makes us instantly relevant next season even if PJ stays in the draft. Go get him, Frank!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
VBCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:

Keita is not and has never been a small forward. He's an interior player that was in love with jump shots in high school, which is different.

Also, his range since he broke his hand appears to be about eight feet.

Keita can help in the rotation inside.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
I doubt Cudd redshirts. Redshirting is pretty rare in basketball and Frank cycles people in and out.

Cam Johnson would be a big get for sure.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
I doubt Cudd redshirts. Redshirting is pretty rare in basketball and Frank cycles people in and out.

I don't know if Cudd - or Gueye for that matter - is athletic or coordinated enough to be an NBA player. But they both have the size and upside to be solid college players and they are both projects - guys that can contribute in Year Two and be solid players, hopefully, buyYear Three. You will maximize Cudd's impact by letting his first year be a RS, then he will be able to play some as a RS Freshman and hopefully be a solid contributor for three years.

That would give him two years of separation with Gueye, and that is important since both are projects. You don't want two projects getting to the point where they can contribute at the same time, and not have minutes for them both.

By all accounts, Cudd needs time to develop physically - he needs to improve his strength and stamina. Frank likes bigs but he also likes them to be able to get up and down the court, which is an issue for Cudd right now. Cudd does have a nice upside and he is already ahead of Gueye in terms of Offense. A RS year makes sense.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:

It's not common but it's been discussed and in an ideal situation, unless he makes big strides in the off-season, we would be able to RS him. Now obviously that ideal situation includes guys like Keita and KG making strides to provide depth and a guy like Hasse being able to get a few minutes per game. RS is not a definite but it is the preferred scenario as we sit here today.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Dpcocks
Recruit

Male

Dpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervousDpcocks is making other chickens nervous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuApPTWBT2U#action=share

This kid has a crazy offer list and looks really good, reminds me of Justin Jackson. Hopefully we can snag him and keep pj around too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234644973229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

That range! Wow, I'd love to have him in the garnet and black!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

PJ is definitely gone now, so I see the recruiting effort ramping up for Cam. Not as a position replacement, but a talent replacement. It would quiet the "why can't Martin go after shooters" posts as well.

We are currently filled up even without Dozier but I could see one or two spots opening up.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
VBCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I don't know if Cudd - or Gueye for that matter - is athletic or coordinated enough to be an NBA player. But they both have the size and upside to be solid college players and they are both projects - guys that can contribute in Year Two and be solid players, hopefully, buyYear Three. You will maximize Cudd's impact by letting his first year be a RS, then he will be able to play some as a RS Freshman and hopefully be a solid contributor for three years.

That would give him two years of separation with Gueye, and that is important since both are projects. You don't want two projects getting to the point where they can contribute at the same time, and not have minutes for them both.

By all accounts, Cudd needs time to develop physically - he needs to improve his strength and stamina. Frank likes bigs but he also likes them to be able to get up and down the court, which is an issue for Cudd right now. Cudd does have a nice upside and he is already ahead of Gueye in terms of Offense. A RS year makes sense.
Who would be the last Carolina player who redshirted? I don't object to a RS, it just in practice doesn't tend to happen.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
VBCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
PJ is definitely gone now, so I see the recruiting effort ramping up for Cam. Not as a position replacement, but a talent replacement. It would quiet the "why can't Martin go after shooters" posts as well.

We are currently filled up even without Dozier but I could see one or two spots opening up.
I think they were already going hard after him. I think you might see them try and identify a transfer guard with immediate eligibility now also.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Quote:
Who would be the last Carolina player who redshirted? I don't object to a RS, it just in practice doesn't tend to happen.
I can't think of one since Dominique Archie , and Archie probably wished he had that year later when he got hurt early in his senior year . He was denied a 6th year .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote