CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
smoovecock
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Three and Out
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
Captain9Dragons
thekob
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
2017 NBA Draft Night (1801)
Dozier Signs With th (857)
SI 10 coaches under (738)
Thornwell To The Cli (577)
I have a new grandda (233)
Oh, Hello on Netflix (64)
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Official Baseball Coachin
Dozier Signs With the Lak
Thornwell To The Clippers
2018 - Stephon Wynn
2017 NBA Draft Night toni
SI 10 coaches under the m
Dark Horse?
Men's team next season
D1 Baseball SuperRegional

Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #101
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: USC backs out of 2019 road trip to ECU

Something tells me this move was made because we may be in line for the SEC vs. ACC in Atlanta. Anyone thought of that. This move was not just to get out of a game or because we didn't want to play ECU. There is an end game to all of this and the end game is money.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #102
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
First off, let's agree that we're not contending for a national title anytime soon.

Having agreed on that, what matters most is how we do in the SEC, so a potential game one loss to a strong OOC opponent doesn't really affect our season that much.

If by some fluke chance we had run the table, the Clemson game is our last game of the regular season. If we lose that game, that knocks us out of the playoffs anyway.
The problem is that if you aren't ready to compete for a National Title, then why on Earth would you add more tough teams on your schedule when you don't need a strength of schedule boost?

I also disagree that losing your first game can have a HUGE impact on your season as young players lose confidence right out of the gate.

Sorry, but the SEC + Clemson are tough enough, absolutely no reason to add to that, especially not with a less than elite Gamecock team.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #103
conwaycock2
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
First off, let's agree that we're not contending for a national title anytime soon.

Having agreed on that, what matters most is how we do in the SEC, so a potential game one loss to a strong OOC opponent doesn't really affect our season that much.

If by some fluke chance we had run the table, the Clemson game is our last game of the regular season. If we lose that game, that knocks us out of the playoffs anyway.
Nah. You go thru the SEC regular season undefeated, lose to Clemson, & go on to win the SEC Championship you'd be in 95% of the time. You'd have the best record in the SEC & be SEC Champs. Might even get in with two losses if you're SEC Champs. Just depends of what other teams are doing. Hell Clemson lost to Pitt & at the end almost everyone, if not everyone, knew they were in.

I do agree strongly that we've got lots of work to do before seriously worrying about that scenario.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #104
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

PalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPit

Why on earth are some Gamecock 'fans' freaking out about a game being cancelled all the way in 2019 against freaking ECU!!?! Like....... MAN I just can't wait for that EAST CAROLINA game three years from now!!! What on earth will I do between now and then because the game against the MIGHTY Pirates is so important and something to look forward to... I was planing on skipping my child's birth for it!! Lol, freaking out like someone just cancelled their season premier of the Kardashians!!!!!!!

Last edited by PalmettoG27; 04-19-2017 at 11:01 PM..
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #105
jcausc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 299
jcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Something tells me this move was made because we may be in line for the SEC vs. ACC in Atlanta. Anyone thought of that. This move was not just to get out of a game or because we didn't want to play ECU. There is an end game to all of this and the end game is money.
We're playing UNC in Charlotte in 2019.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #106
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
We play UNC in Charlotte that year.

So another one? 3 ACC teams in one year?
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #107
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I thought so too, but we play UNC in Charlotte in 2019. No way we get out of that one. Our out of conference schedule will be UNC, Clemson, and probably a Troy or South Alabama-level team.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #108
bobbycock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1034230
bobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPit

That's a big dose of no confidence in our coaches and players to think we would get beaten by East Carolina two years from now. This program but in 2019? No way....absolutely no way. That cannot be the reason we pulled out.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #109
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
I said "A" big name opponent. You cited 2 games for Ok St. Also, the CMU game hurt Ok St more than anything else (unfair or not).
We play Clemson, that is your big opponent on the OOC schedule for the foreseeable future. Just because we play them every year doesn't make then a conference opponent so our OOC schedule is tough enough. And I was talking about Oklahoma not State, Oklahoma ran the table in conference while beating OKST and was left out due to 2 OOC losses to quality competition which is what you were asking what is the worst that could happen. If scheduling was more immediate like in basketball where you schedule in the off-season before the season starts I may have a different view but if you have to schedule 3/4 years in advance give me Clemson and 3 teams we should steamroll.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 AM   #110
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:

With 1 loss to Clemson in your scenario we'd still be very much alive in the CFP if we won the SEC Title Game. If you add into your scenario a 2nd loss to an OOC opponent that year then we're dead in the water. As for not contending for a title anytime soon, the big OOC games get schedule years and years in advance to where we won't know what either team's roster would look like. I'll take my chances scheduling the weak teams and racking up 3 guaranteed wins. If your SOS is already strong enough to make it into the CFP based on yearly opponents as long as you take care of business, which ours is, you don't go scheduling other insane games that give you extra chance to slip up.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #111
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

We pulled out to get 7 home games, pure and simple.

ECU would be tough on their home field but we almost always beat them, and often easily. I remember when that was not the case, but those days seem to be over.

Clemson, two mid-majors, one FCS team, rinse and repeat. The SEC is tough and will get tougher - remember that we had three 1st year coaches in the East and a 2nd year guy, so those teams will improve as the programs get deeper into the new coaches' regimes. Well, maybe not UF - they had a stacked deck when McElwain got there, and it remains to be seen if he can re-establish the Offense and/or maintain the Defense.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #112
Senior Rooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 0
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
We play Clemson, that is your big opponent on the OOC schedule for the foreseeable future. Just because we play them every year doesn't make then a conference opponent so our OOC schedule is tough enough. And I was talking about Oklahoma not State, Oklahoma ran the table in conference while beating OKST and was left out due to 2 OOC losses to quality competition which is what you were asking what is the worst that could happen. If scheduling was more immediate like in basketball where you schedule in the off-season before the season starts I may have a different view but if you have to schedule 3/4 years in advance give me Clemson and 3 teams we should steamroll.
ON TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #113
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
The SEC is tough and will get tougher - remember that we had three 1st year coaches in the East and a 2nd year guy.
QFT.

The big 3 will be us UGA and UF again.
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #114
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Lol at these responses about good we would lose that game. It's 3 seasons away for goodness sakes! Please don't tell me some of you believe that we cancelled because we are scared.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #115
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I am glad that the city of Columbia and all of its small and large businesses will be able to enjoy the extra profits and tax generation. Also great that our fans will get another day to tailgate.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #116
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

What a bunch of Marys
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #117
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

My guess is that 90%+ of the people calling for us to play "one of the big boys"

1) aren't season ticket holders.
2) don't travel to away games
3) complain about the price of tickets once games are scheduled
4) complain that the "working man" has been priced out of college football.
5) see 1-2 games a year and choose games like Wofford because the tickets are nearly free, and then create a lot of threads with titles like "Where is the least expensive Place to Park" or "Why Can't i park at the Roundhouse anymore?"
6) Post a ton of links to stories by SEC Country.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #118
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
My guess is that 90%+ of the people calling for us to play "one of the big boys"

1) aren't season ticket holders.
2) don't travel to away games
3) complain about the price of tickets once games are scheduled
4) complain that the "working man" has been priced out of college football.
5) see 1-2 games a year and choose games like Wofford because the tickets are nearly free, and then create a lot of threads with titles like "Where is the least expensive Place to Park" or "Why Can't i park at the Roundhouse anymore?"
Haha funny.

I have season tickets and I would still love to see a home and home with SoCal. (Yes I know that will never happen)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #119
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:

We were a 6 win team last year. If that trend continues, though hopefully it won't, an easy game vs a difficult one could be the difference between us going to a bowl at the end of the year and our season ending Thanksgiving weekend. It was just two years ago we were sitting home. Within the lifetimes of most everyone on this board we were at a point where yearly we were just hoping to win 6 and maybe beat Clemson. Let's not take our more recent success for granted.

Last edited by sandstorm2001; 04-20-2017 at 11:11 AM..
sandstorm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #120
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
We were a 6 win team last year. If that trend continues, though hopefully it won't, an easy game vs a difficult one could be the difference between us going to a bowl at the end of the year and our season ended Thanksgiving weekend. It was just two years ago we were sitting home. Within the lifetimes of most everyone on this board we were at a point where yearly we were just hoping to win 6 and maybe beat Clemson. Let's not take our more recent success for granted.
3 years ago we were a top 10 team. We have no idea where we will be in 3 years. Maybe a national powerhouse. Maybe we're coming off a winless season searching for a new coach. This clearly isn't about gauging whether we can beat ECU in 3 years.