CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Y Formation
taylorssc
SwampFox
Three and Out
GregoryHouse
ShutTheSuccop
GeoCocky66
Ace Dilcock
ConwayGamecock
Grad Transfer PG Lin (154)
Describe this offsea (139)
What Are Your Favori (137)
Music Thread: Day 18 (60)
You Decide (45)
Grad Transfer PG Lindsey
new D1 projections
Lindy's and Athlon's are
Describe this offseason i
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
Last Three Years
‘They deserve it’: LSU co
Men's team next season
You Decide

Old 04-30-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit
Default Justin Minaya

According to Phil Kornblut, Frank has offered 6-7 G-F Justin Minaya out of NJ. He also is being recruited by Seton Hall, Temple, and Illinois, among others.

That we are recruiting another 2017 high school player indicates someone will be leaving the program. But who? I suppose it is possible Minaya could pay his own way next year, but I doubt it. Not when he has scholarship offers from other big schools.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material
Default Re: Justin Minaya

USC basketball coach Frank Martin apparently is still interested in adding another high school prospect to his roster for next season. Martin offered 6-7 Justin Minaya of Harrington Park, NJ and he plans to take an official visit with the Gamecocks Tuesday. * Minaya’s father is the*former general manager of the New York Mets.
“It was definitely a good call with Frank when he offered me,” Minaya said. *“He feels that**I’m definitely a versatile big guard and he likes my ability to shoot and rebound the ball. *I really like Coach Martin a lot and I like how he pushes his players to be their best. Obviously, *the Gamecocks are a great program and things are definitely booming right now after their Final Four run.”

Minaya also picked up recent offers from Seton Hall and Temple, and he said he’s also looking at Illinois and new coach, and former Martin assistant, Brad Underwood. *He also said a year of prep school also is an option for him but Martin wants him for the 2017 class.

Last season Minaya averaged 20 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks and 3 assists per game.
With the loss of four players from last season and four players already signed, the Gamecocks are sitting on the max 13 scholarship players, so any additions would mean further departures. *

Martin also is in pursuit of Wright State graduate transfer 6-5 Mark Alstork.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...sey-big-guard/
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

We need another wing guy, period. I think we would take two if they are willing to come here - Alstork is more of a #2 that could play some #3, Minaya would be a #3 that could play some #2.

Tut is at the top of the list for guys leaving, Blanton possibly as a medical, Gueye, Keita or Gravatt if Frank thinks they are not working hard enough.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
We need another wing guy, period. I think we would take two if they are willing to come here - Alstork is more of a #2 that could play some #3, Minaya would be a #3 that could play some #2.

Tut is at the top of the list for guys leaving, Blanton possibly as a medical, Gueye, Keita or Gravatt if Frank thinks they are not working hard enough.
Yes, yes and yes, but I don't expect Gravett to go anywhere.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
lfowens
4-Star

lfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
Yes, yes and yes, but I don't expect Gravett to go anywhere.
I hope that so.....we need Gravett next year - I think he was very good this year at times but will be much better, more consistent, and more confident next year.
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

I like Gravett too, because he elevates well with his shot which gives him the ability to get his shot off with a small window and has the potential to be a good three-point shooter. Most of our other Guards last year were more set-shot guys and had a hard time getting clean looks. Also, we need Guards.

But he did seem to run afoul of Frank on a number of occasions, he is not a true wing (which we need badly) due to his height, and he did not live up to expectations with his accuracy (34.6% on FG, 27.5% on threes). I think Frank got into his head on shot selection a little, which may have contributed to the accuracy issues. But I like him and hope he comes back and has a big year.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
I like Gravett too, because he elevates well with his shot which gives him the ability to get his shot off with a small window and has the potential to be a good three-point shooter. Most of our other Guards last year were more set-shot guys and had a hard time getting clean looks. Also, we need Guards.

But he did seem to run afoul of Frank on a number of occasions, he is not a true wing (which we need badly) due to his height, and he did not live up to expectations with his accuracy (34.6% on FG, 27.5% on threes). I think Frank got into his head on shot selection a little, which may have contributed to the accuracy issues. But I like him and hope he comes back and has a big year.

try 29% FG and 21% 3pt.

About all I can say about Gravett is that he seems to be fast and athletic enough for the position.

Unfortunately, he was dreadful offensively, so so defensively. You can only hope that he shoots a hundred thousand shots this offseason and comes back better.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Gravette aint going anywhere. He gets after it on defense. That is job #1 in CFMs world....His offense will come in time. I do think his passing skills need to be worked on a little. He dishes some nice passes but they come in with such velocity the reciever of the dish cant see it coming...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
try 29% FG and 21% 3pt.

About all I can say about Gravett is that he seems to be fast and athletic enough for the position.

Unfortunately, he was dreadful offensively, so so defensively. You can only hope that he shoots a hundred thousand shots this offseason and comes back better.
He just struggled adjusting to SEC play. His shot isn't broken, he shot 41.7% in JUCO with just barely under 40% from beyond the arc and 86% from the line. It's just a big adjustment, I'd expect his shooting numbers to go up in a big way next year.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

I imagine it might be Blanton on a medical hardship.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Dpcocks
Walk On

Male

Dpcocks has hatched from the shell

Just watched a game of his in the nj state championship and the kid looks good. His team scored 47 in a losing effort but he scored 23. Smooth jumper and decent athleticism I think he could be a solid 4 year guy who could probably contribute a few minutes off the bench for this upcoming season because he is long and we lack depth at the 3. He has a visit Tuesday in Columbia so he might pull the trigger then. If we can sign him and get alstork it would be a great way to close out this recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Will make his decision tonight, not sure what time.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Gravette aint going anywhere. He gets after it on defense. That is job #1 in CFMs world....His offense will come in time. I do think his passing skills need to be worked on a little. He dishes some nice passes but they come in with such velocity the reciever of the dish cant see it coming...
I was thinking this same thing. I also cannot remember ever seeing him make a basket, but the stats don't lie. I can remember about a hundred of them that he missed.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
I was thinking this same thing. I also cannot remember ever seeing him make a basket, but the stats don't lie. I can remember about a hundred of them that he missed.
Gravett had the rep for being a shooter - I think his claim to fame was 7 straight 3s in the Georgia state title game. He has good form, and he elevates well on his shoot so he can get it off in traffic, unlike others (like Notice and Felder).

The missed shots are just confidence and getting in rhythm, which comes with more PT.

We need shooters, so hopefully Gravett can improve his percentage and Minaya gives us some good news tonight.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

According to Kornblutt, Minaya is down to SC now or prep school for a year. If he goes the prep school route he will go through the recruiting process again next year.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

GAMECOCK!!!
https://twitter.com/justin_minaya/st...42530910203904
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #17
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Very nice late addition. Looks to be a guy who can definitely help out, especially at the 3. Also when you watch his highlight tape he knows how to play defense and seems to have that want to on that end so you know Frank loves him already.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Welcome aboard, nice pick-up. This makes us more flexible - Minaya is a true SF.

I don't think this stops the pursuit of Alstork - two different players, Alstork is more of a big 2 that will provide Guard depth. Alstork can also play 3 and will give time for Minaya to develop.

This will keep things interesting - pick up Minaya and Alstork, then start the speculation on who is leaving.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #19
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Great pickup; welcome to Columbia!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #20
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Glad to have Justin in the program. He was recruited as a big guard, from what I have heard. But he can also play the SF spot. Same with Alstork. I don't know how getting Minaya will affect getting Alstork. Alstork reportedly will visit USC this week, then LSU, and announce his choice on the 20th.

I hate to see players leave the program, but looks like someone will. Unless someone is willing to be without a scholarship for a year.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote