CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
ChunkSnackwell
spareparts
Captain9Dragons
2018 - Ronnie Jamiso (1346)
2019 - Ahdarrious Ge (618)
CFN Era Top 20 Coach (237)
Beach Volleyball nab (189)
Discussion: 2019 Rec (188)
2017 Team USA U19 Wo (171)
Nice addition for be (171)
Hugh Freeze about to be f
2019 - Ahdarrious Gee
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Tyquan Johnson
2018 - KJ Henry
2018 - Josh Vann
Nice addition for beach v
2018 - Channing Tindall
Beach Volleyball nabs a T
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti

Old 05-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
gamecockclint
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot material
Default Fripp Island

Anybody familiar with Fripp? We're going this summer for the first time. I like to surf fish and I've read a little about it. Anybody got any advice on the 'hot' spots? I'm looking forward to a relaxing time down there.
gamecockclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 2301172
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fripp Island

Been every year for 12 years. It's relaxation at it's best for SC beaches. Private island. Has a few snack bars, restaurants, shops but nothing else. Golf cart, walk or bike everywhere. Great beaches and clean pools. Some good surf fishing and crabbing at times. I usually go towards the north end of the island for surf. There is a fishing pier but it will get a little hectic at times. 2 good golf courses but I like the creek course the best. Deer everywhere. You'll need to pack in groceries from ladys island or other areas. The marina has beer, bait and snacks. You can also rent boats, jet skis, kayaks, bikes, etc out there. There's a market on the upper end with basic groceries, liquor/wine. I think Hunting island just before Fripp is still closed due to the hurricane damage from last year. We'll be there in June!
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
gamecockclint
Two Deep

Male

gamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot material

Thanks 88! What do you typically catch in the surf if you don't mind me asking? And I read that it's best to wait about 1-2 hours after low tide. Have you found that to be the case?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockclint View Post
Thanks 88! What do you typically catch in the surf if you don't mind me asking? And I read that it's best to wait about 1-2 hours after low tide. Have you found that to be the case?
LOL, I usually catch sharks and skates/rays, whatever those things are. I'm not what you'd call a great surf fisherman. Grew up bass fishing. Low tide tends to be the best for me. Usually start with either squid, shrimp and cut mullet. It's pretty easy to catch something. We have used a cast net to catch the larger minnows in tidal pools and have caught some spots on those but that was in the fall. I've caught a few trout in the past casting a berkley gulp shrimp on a jig head. Some of the biggest shark I've caught have been after catching a smaller 'fish' and then cutting it into chunks on larger hooks. The beaches are wide. The area around the pool area where they rent umbrellas is the most crowded and it's never what I'd call overcrowded. Anywhere above there will get sparse with people. The beaches have changed a ton in the past few years and we're anxious to see how the hurricane changed them since last year.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

No easy or quick way there...take skin so soft for the no see-ums
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
gamecockclint
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
LOL, I usually catch sharks and skates/rays, whatever those things are. I'm not what you'd call a great surf fisherman. Grew up bass fishing. Low tide tends to be the best for me. Usually start with either squid, shrimp and cut mullet. It's pretty easy to catch something. We have used a cast net to catch the larger minnows in tidal pools and have caught some spots on those but that was in the fall. I've caught a few trout in the past casting a berkley gulp shrimp on a jig head. Some of the biggest shark I've caught have been after catching a smaller 'fish' and then cutting it into chunks on larger hooks. The beaches are wide. The area around the pool area where they rent umbrellas is the most crowded and it's never what I'd call overcrowded. Anywhere above there will get sparse with people. The beaches have changed a ton in the past few years and we're anxious to see how the hurricane changed them since last year.
That's some good info. The cutbait option sounds like a winner. I appreciate it 88.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
CockCopter
Professor

Male

CockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudly

Ride into Beaufort for dinner one night.
CockCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
SummervilleGuy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 780
SummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his claws

Use live bait when possible and the outgoing tide should be the best time for a bite. Get your bait out where the wave just starts to build. Red and Black Drum and shark will probably be the most common and long with Stingrays. Might want to get a copy of size limits on fish, check with SCDNR.
SummervilleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

It's been a while since I've been out there, but there's a place called "Shrimp Shack" before the bridge to Hunting Island. It doesn't look like much, but they used to sell some damn good food in there. Hopefully it's still that way.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
KadCock
Blue Chip

Male

KadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talonsKadCock has developed his gaff and talons

Grew up going down there every summer. Family owned a house on Wahoo Drive. There's some pretty decent fishing in the canal that runs through the middle of the island, good for kids.
Skull Inlet on the southside is a good place to fish as well.
Johnson Creek Tavern on Harbor Island (pass it on the way to Fripp) is some good seafood. There's another restaurant on Lady's Island (Docksides) is also good but the wait can sometimes be an hour to be seated.
KadCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Haven't been to Fripp since I was little, but what I remember most is a shit ton of sand spurs.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Haven't been to Fripp since I was little, but what I remember most is a shit ton of sand spurs.
I haven't been in over 30 years. But I remember the sand spurs!
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
gamecockpride
Recruit

Male

gamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervous

I went down there last summer for the first time. Excellent crabbing, deer everywhere, they will just walk right up to you. Sandspurs are pretty ridiculous, they will destroy your ankles and legs.

Beaches are beautiful, undisturbed natural beach. We didn't get to go to Hunting Island but definitely will on the next trip.

Beach house that we rented sat on the river (Harbor River) thats where we caught the crab. Probably could have caught some redfish and flounder but we didn't fish much.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockclint View Post
Anybody familiar with Fripp? We're going this summer for the first time. I like to surf fish and I've read a little about it. Anybody got any advice on the 'hot' spots? I'm looking forward to a relaxing time down there.
Also, hit up Graco on Ladys Island. It's a hardware store that has a great tackle selection. Hooks, weights, baits, rigs, crabbing supplies. Awesome place.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 AM   #15
clemson sucks
Hot Take Maker

Male

CockyCash: 2477208
clemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to clemson sucks

All this advice is good. Let me also add that my dad and I are usually able to catch a ton of sheepshead under the bridge leading onto the island.