CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
robgusc76
MountainCock
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
NAGamec0ckFan
Three and Out
The Yancey
Dear Muschamp: Not (1456)
CFN Team ranking 1-1 (1011)
I hope Jamarcus King (753)
Goergia Dome Collaps (413)
#600 (368)
New Whip (262)
NCAAF: CLEMSON TATER (239)
NFL TV Partners Set (88)
Funny story from my (83)
4 Clemson Tickets wi (39)
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
Clemson
CFN Team ranking 1-130
2018 - Channing Tindall
2019 - Ani Izuchukwu
2018 - Jaycee Horn - Tenn
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Clemson opponents avg rec
2018 - Dorian Gerald
NFL TV Partners Set to Lo

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Spurticus Fall Practice Reports 2007

Fall Practice began tonight in some pretty steamy conditions. Hot and humid but still a very good opening night for the team. Huge crowd there to watch the practice. No doubt the biggest of any of the practices I’ve seen so far including Steve Spurrier’s first open practice.

Instead of breaking down exactly what the team did tonight, I’m just going to run through the positions to let you know who did and didn’t look particularly well because I think everyone wants to know mainly about the new guys.

Note to start: Blake Mitchell, Carlos Thomas, Terrance Campbell, Bobby Wallace, & Kenrick Ellis were not allowed to participate in practice, but ran and did pushups and sit ups throughout the entire night. I heard it was because of failure to attend classes this summer. Jordin and Dustin Lindsey were not at practice tonight along with Cliff Matthews. Don’t know what was up with these guys. . . haven’t heard anything there.

Starting through the positions:
QUARTERBACKS
All the talk and hype around Stephen Garcia was not exaggerated! He’s a little off now and then, but the kid has a cannon arm and is on target most of the time. The wobble that was noticed in his videos is still there, but I’m sure that will be corrected in a short time working with coach Spurrier. Garcia needs to work a little more on touch when he’s throwing the deeper routes towards the sidelines and in tighter coverage, but dead on over the middle! A little work and this guy will make Gamecock nation proud.

Chris Smelley looked good throwing the ball seems to have a little more zip in his arm than last year and this spring. Chris was hitting a lot of open guys on the medium distance out routes. Chris also seems to have gotten rid of his “happy feet” and looks the field over more. He doesn’t seem quite as nervous as he was this spring during practice and is definitely a lot more accurate.

Tommy had a good night to open the fall practice also showing a little more strength in his arm. Tommy made a nice pass deep over the middle to David Pavlovic towards the end of the practice that made the crowd do a little Ooooo in unison. Overall Tommy has improved his mechanics and strength and was making some nice reads during the 11 on 11 at the end of practice.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Not a whole lot to judge either of the lines by when they’re not in pads and banging on each other, but looking at them going through the drills and according to how they handled the blocking schemes during the 11 on 11, I wouldn’t say that they’re a tight group right now, but they looked a lot better than this time last season and have made some improvements in their speed over the summer. Quintin Richardson was getting a lot of instruction from Coach Hunt so from far off it looks like QR is a guy they’d like to see on the field as soon as possible. Whether that takes place or not is still to be seen, but it looks like he’s getting some special attention on his drills.
Kyle Nunn looked very good for a freshman player working his first scrimmage in college. Again, hard to tell until he hits someone across from him in pads, but looks good in the blocking drills and also looks like one of the faster linemen on the team. Kyle is as big as some of the upperclassmen we have starting so with maybe some polish on techniques, Kyle could get some playing time this fall.
Of the experienced guys here, Gurminder Thind and Jamon Merideth looked impressive. I also noticed that Jamon was talking to Quintin a lot between drills. I’m hoping that’s an upperclassman helping a Freshman learn the ropes. We need to see a lot of that on the club with all the positions.

RUNNING BACKS:
Mike Davis and Cory Boyd were outstanding. Mike looks to be in as good a shape as anytime during his three years here. Both got a light amount of reps but made the most of them when they touched the ball, and caught the ball well out during the passing drills too.
I was very impressed with Brian Maddox. Bryan looks like a leaner Mike Davis and has some nice moves in the open. The thing I was most impressed with however was with how well he looked catching the ball coming out of the backfield. Very Good Hands and good footwork. Overall, Brian was one of the 4 or 5 most outstanding freshman players on the field tonight. I’m not sure with Cory, Mike and Bobby all in top shape if Brian will see any action this season, but when he does get in the lineup for the Gamecocks this young man is going to be something special !
Of the Fullbacks, Patrick DiMarco was the most athletic looking and he too showed a good pair of hands catching the football. Shields the defenders off with his body very well and makes the catches with defenders all over him. Very good first night for Patrick. I think Patrick being added to the list of Fullbacks was the reason that Ryan Brown was moved back to his old spot as a Linebacker.

WIDE RECEIVERS / TIGHT ENDS
I’m sure everyone wants to know how these guys looked and frankly this was the unit I was most pre-occupied with tonight. There’s still a couple of weeks before the season starts and anything can happen between now and then, but in my opinion Joseph Hills was the best looking of the incoming freshmen WR’s tonight. Mr. Hills is a very athletic player and owns some soft hands. JH looked good in the warm ups, one on one and during the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11. He dropped a couple late in practice that were high but catchable, but before those two, Joseph was raising some eyebrows. Run routes very well and has the speed to leave a guy if he gets a step on him. The soft hands helped him pull in two or three one hand catches tonight. Definitely one of the top five newbies.
Chris Culliver had a good (but not outstanding) night tonight. Dropped a couple that were on target, but also made a catch or two that the average WR would not have gotten to. Hard to tell right now on his first night but all in all he had a good start to his Gamecock Career.
Deon Lecorn was another of the top five Freshmen players on the field tonight. Not the fastest of the new WR’s, but already looks like he could make plays at this level. Good routes, and good body positioning. He and Garcia hooked up a couple of times over the middle and got some applause from the packed house. Could all turn around tomorrow, but if tonight was any indication of what to expect this season, look for Lecorn and Joseph Hills to play this year.
Jason Barnes looked good in the drills and one on one, but had trouble getting open during the game situation parts of practice. Probably needs to work on body positioning. Seems to have good speed and good footwork and has good hands in the drills.
Matt Clements to me looks like a smaller version of Kenny McKinley. Very quick feet and some fantastic moves, average hands (at least tonight) and may need a little time with coach Spurrier Jr. but has some strong skills to develop into a very good WR.
Of the upperclassmen:
Kenny may have had a slow spring, but Kenny McKinley wanted the young guys to know who was going to be leading this group this year. And judging by tonight’s workout, Kenny is wanting to send that same message to the rest of the SEC. Mr. McKinley was on his game and dropped nothing. During the one on one he just froze whoever was lined up over him and blew them away. I don’t recall seeing anything that was thrown to K Mac dropped tonight. Clearly the best Offensive player on the field tonight.
Jared Cook was on as well. Made some outstanding catches over the middle and he too dropped nothing that was in his hands. I hope this was an indication of Jared’s work this summer and that he has gotten over that concentration problem with the easy catches that he was dropping this spring.
Freddie Brown also showed some nice work over the middle, and flat out whipped some defenders trying to man up on him tonight. Even made Stoney Woodson look bad on one particular play on a nice deep slant route. So far the upperclassmen that has some issue to work on this summer looks like they’ve done just that.
Nick Prochak continued his fine work of this fall extending it into the opening night of practice. Most of his catches came in the one on one part of the night, but caught all but one low throw from Chris Smelley that was catchable, but would have been a tough grab. Wes Sanders didn’t look quite as good as I was hoping he’d look but the rumors of him being heavy were not real accurate. Sanders looks like a gifted TE and has a very athletic frame. Maybe opening day jitters, but just wasn’t real sharp bringing in the passes on a consistent basis.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Again, hard to tell about this unit right now, but from the drills, Eric Norwood and Travian Robertson (who were lined up with the fist unit tonight) looks like they’ll anchor the line very well. Travian is more of a Text Book type End doing all the footwork and tackling drills to perfection, while Eric is more of a speed and power type end. Not technically perfect, but make up for some fundamental flaws with sheer speed and strength. The two guys compliment each other well and If they play the way they practice the DL looks to be the most improved part of the team this season.
Of the new guys up front, was very impressed with Byron McKnight. Not a lot has been said about this young man when we discussed impact players this fall, but Byron is a good looking defensive end. Very big and athletic frame with room to grow. Needs some more upper body strength and that along with the depth of the end position may force the coaches to Redshirt McKnight this fall, but he’ll definitely be a guy to look for in the future. . .. . .Good looking football player.
Ladi Ajiboye was having a good practice going until he suffered what looked to be like a sever cramp later in the night. He was helped off the field by a trainer (walking mostly on his own power) but looked to have had trouble straightening his right leg. Hope it was nothing more than cramps anyway.

LINEBACKERS
Jasper Brinkley . . . . .That’s all you need to say there. Clearly the best Defensive Player out there tonight. He and Brother Casper and Rodney Paulk were the first unit linebackers and all had good nights. Jasper is becoming a short DB on the delays out of the backfield and reached over a couple of the fullbacks to knock the short passes away from them tonight. If anything Jap’s gotten a little more agile to go along with that bone crushing upper body of his . . .. . God help the RB’s and DB’s that get within range of him this fall.
Alonzo Winfield had a good night but nothing that would make you believe he’s a one or two deep LB this season. Needs to put on some muscle to go along with his speed, but he’s a kid that will play some in the future. Very good footwork and speed, and good technique on hitting a tackling.

DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD
Our starting unit is sound. Looks line Emanuel Cook, Captain Munnerlyn, Brandon Isaac and (I would guess) Carlos Thomas will be our first unit players here. Stoney Woodson took Carlos place tonight while he was being disciplined.
In my opinion, Addison Williams by his play tonight would be one of the freshmen who will play this fall on Defense. Maybe not a starter, but he does look like a strong player at safety and has some good coverage skills. But, he would take a back seat to the play of Sam Pope who looks like he could go right now! Very good player and excellent cover skills. Closes quickly to the ball and makes plays.
One play during the night, there was a pass thrown to Freddie Brown by Stephen Garcia. Garcia pumped and the whole Defensive backfield bit EXCEPT POPE. Freddie turned upfield and Garcia launched a pass in the area where Freddie was supposed to be, but Sam Pope saw it coming and stayed in front of Brown and was able to keep Brown from getting behind him for the completion. Nice Defensive play. . . Play of the night on Defense in my opinion.
Mark Barnes had a good night, but wasn’t outstanding enough to keep Freddie Brown from burning him a couple of times, and Kenny McKinley made quick work of him in the one on ones as well.

Lots more I could add, but that was it in a nutshell. It wasn’t an overall, blow everybody away type of night, but there were a handful of very impressive freshman players and some major improvements made by individuals and full units that made the nights workout promising when trying to get some Idea of what to expect this fall.

Last edited by Spurticus; 08-05-2007 at 12:21 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 157561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cockytalk Practice Report: 8-4-07

you are the man!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 1012700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

2nd that jayman

Old 08-05-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 1012700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

how bout j. hills that sounds great

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
GoCocks2391
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
GoCocks2391 is sharpening his clawsGoCocks2391 is sharpening his clawsGoCocks2391 is sharpening his clawsGoCocks2391 is sharpening his claws

thanks for the report man, I can't wait for this year
Old 08-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
ILiveInTheRoost
4-Star

Male

ILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his combILiveInTheRoost is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus
Jordin and Dustin Lindsey were not at practice tonight along with Cliff Matthews. Donít know what was up with these guys. . . havenít heard anything there.

Matthews was there. There are pictures of him in the photos thread. He is number 83.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
jaytda4th
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

jaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPit

ahh i wish i could have been there
Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Thanks for the info Spurt. Those of us out of state wouldn't get any info if it wasn't for you.
doc
Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5800
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Thank you for the fix
Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

Thanks Spurticus. Get some sleep and enjoy your beach trip.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
12+4=6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 124611065020
12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material12+4=6 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

AWESOME REPORT!! But the best thing I saw was the part about the outstanding performances of Jared Cook and Kenny. Cook has been a big question this offseason and I'm glad to see he is stepping up. And the part about Kenny is great because it shows that our key guy on offense is living up to the hype. Although it is only 1 practice, I see so many positives. Again, great report!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 157561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Anyone know how long it will be before the first practice in pads?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #13
Blake
Staff Reporter

Male

Blake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot material

awsome spurticus!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
Cntrybrd4
4-Star

Male

Cntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervousCntrybrd4 is making other chickens nervous

Thanks for getting that practice report out tonight Spurticus. It's great to hear the news of improvement as well as fome possible answers to the questions surrounding the team. GO COCKS!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInTheRoost
Matthews was there. There are pictures of him in the photos thread. He is number 83.
I must have kept overlooking him for some reason. Just couldn't seem to find him.
There was a big crowd there, and a lot of really rude people shoving there way in front of people who had gotten there early for a good spot. Lots of kids crawling around under your feet !!! Made it difficult to see what was going on all the time.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
Blake
Staff Reporter

Male

Blake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot materialBlake is USC mascot material

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=42419

guess my friends were right on about hills. good to know im not feeding u guys a load of bs on my word on the streets.
Thanks spurticus that was a great write up, now go have a great vacation!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
CockynTN
Recruit

Male

CockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talonsCockynTN has developed his gaff and talons

Omg...Brinkley...God help Thomas Brown...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ
Anyone know how long it will be before the first practice in pads?
This spring is was like the third day they were in full pads.
Shells the second day and then they went at it on the third practice.
I would guess something like that again this fall. . .Too bad it will be closed.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 AM   #19
Blake
Staff Reporter

Male

whats the practice schedule for this week?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #20
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 49000000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

thanks Spurticus, I had almost forgotten how great your reports are.