CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
crowcutta
TaySC
lfowens
SanAntonioCock
Ironfan
tcmac08
Spur's Addiction
markymark550
spareparts
**USC (14-13) vs. Ge (2044)
**USC (3-1) vs. Wint (1840)
Deebo and Shi Smith (976)
2019 - Taisun Phomma (767)
2019 - Jacob Conover (620)
Hey Y’all...Billy Gr (561)
Rebel Rags Suit Alle (432)
Two-Time National Ch (423)
Tight End U (355)
BRITISH INVASION - 1 (319)
2019 - Samuel Brooks
**USC (14-13) vs. Georgia
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
2019 Commitment - Rodricu
2019 - Calijah Kancey
**USC (3-1) vs. Winthrop
Spring Game announced
Daily Five: Vacated Wins?
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
Tight End U

Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #101
DorchesterGamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 WBB - Samantha Brunelle - Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
If teams like Baylor, Louisville, ND are still able to reload every year without difficulty we should be able to do it too. It's not just the one Championship its a stretch of years where we are going to the final four and being 1 seed usually sometimes a 2 seed. SEC championships as well. MSU and Tennessee just pulled in big classes and they aren't winning the rings, and we have needs and we can only get 2 players? There really isn't really any excuse or defense or explanation for it. It's one of those it's what is it is things we love so much. Time to move on from worrying about next year and just focus on this year and hope Dawn can bring in some good transfers again.
Baylor, Louisville, ND have been going to Final Fours in WBB years before SC even cared about. ND just had a streak of 5 or 6 straight Final Fours interrupted. We’ve been to two. Again, those programs started from somewhere too.

Tennessee is a national brand in WBB. No matter how bad they are they’ll always recruit well off name alone. They have 8 national titles, that’s a legacy program, recruits sign up for that...

Mississippi State has quantity. That’s it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good class because they filled holes in the paint with White and Carter. Wiggins from Boo Williams is a good guard.. but I’m picking SC’s class over theirs everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Henderson alone outranks their entire class and Saxton has a higher ceiling than both Carter and White.

None of this is to say that SC shouldn’t have had a few more pieces in this class. We should’ve.. I still think we’re short a big post and two really good wings but we aimed high with this class. We’re no longer swimming in shallow waters, we’re swimming in the deep end now. Recruits are going to make a decision for them in that moment. If you’re going to bring up other schools and their recruiting then I’m going to bring up why it’s not nonsensical that they’re recruiting well.

FWIW, I do suspect we’ll be seeing A LOT of transfers from this class and from a few schools that won big in this class. I can almost guarantee a transfer from Baylor (5 player classes NEVER work). UConn will likely see a transfer or two (their guard depth is insane.. no school has more 5-stars riding the pine than them).. and I think maybe Texas just because they have so many polar opposites on that roster, a lot of chiefs and few Indians.. they have several players that need to dominate the ball to be effective and I don’t think Aston is a strong enough personality to manage them all.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #102
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
WBB is still a sport where the old boys club (or “girls club”) dominates.. Sure, we got one... but so does Maryland and Louisville.. like I said in a previous post, I think we’ll benefit most from this title in a few years.. once we get to players that only know SC as a winning program/one of the elites. Most of this 2018 class already had an idea of where they wanted to go... it’s not often that 99 out of the top 100 are committed by the early signing period. That’s very unusual.

It’s gonna take more than just one title to dismantle a dynasty and start winning head to head recruiting battles against them consistently.. it’s going to take a continuance of our winning tradition and staying within striking distance of the elite programs. We haven’t arrived yet. We’re still trending up.
I don't think its about dismantling the UConn dynasty or beating Baylor and Texas and TAMU on Texas recruits.

Those are all understandable losses.

I think its regrettable that our final two players were a battle against UConn.

UConn's advantages sell themselves. You don't really have to ponder too much about why you lose a recruiting battle to them.

The thing I would like to understand more is why we've lost players to FSU, Louisville, Ohio State.

-----

My understanding of college WBB is that a few good players and coaching carry you really far. I don't see this program dropping off the map without Aja Wilson, but i've also seen that at the very top talent is clustered.

Miss State obviously provided you can get pretty far without elite players and I think Staley can easily replicate that. But hard to see titles without having a couple of All Americans.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #103
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
Baylor, Louisville, ND have been going to Final Fours in WBB years before SC even cared about. ND just had a streak of 5 or 6 straight Final Fours interrupted. We’ve been to two. Again, those programs started from somewhere too.

Tennessee is a national brand in WBB. No matter how bad they are they’ll always recruit well off name alone. They have 8 national titles, that’s a legacy program, recruits sign up for that...

Mississippi State has quantity. That’s it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good class because they filled holes in the paint with White and Carter. Wiggins from Boo Williams is a good guard.. but I’m picking SC’s class over theirs everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Henderson alone outranks their entire class and Saxton has a higher ceiling than both Carter and White.

None of this is to say that SC shouldn’t have had a few more pieces in this class. We should’ve.. I still think we’re short a big post and two really good wings but we aimed high with this class. We’re no longer swimming in shallow waters, we’re swimming in the deep end now. Recruits are going to make a decision for them in that moment. If you’re going to bring up other schools and their recruiting then I’m going to bring up why it’s not nonsensical that they’re recruiting well.

FWIW, I do suspect we’ll be seeing A LOT of transfers from this class and from a few schools that won big in this class. I can almost guarantee a transfer from Baylor (5 player classes NEVER work). UConn will likely see a transfer or two (their guard depth is insane.. no school has more 5-stars riding the pine than them).. and I think maybe Texas just because they have so many polar opposites on that roster, a lot of chiefs and few Indians.. they have several players that need to dominate the ball to be effective and I don’t think Aston is a strong enough personality to manage them all.

This isn't a bad class and I think South Carolina's recruiting actually has improved from a national perspective.

However, I don't think the "new kid on the block" excuse really plays any more.

In the last six years, Carolina has six NCAA appearances, 5 Sweet 16s, 4 SEC titles, 2 Final Fours, and a national title.

Carolina has had two first team All Americans, the SEC players of the year, and possibly the national player of the year this season.

Staley has been coach of the year, she's the national team coach, and gets massive media credibility.

I don't think we are losing anyone because Louisville and Ohio State and FSU and Maryland have been winning longer.

I will say that this season is truly interesting. I think we are in the mix again and in some ways this might be our most nationally pleasing team if the offense continues to flow like this.

I was expecting a step back and I think the country probably is. I'm not sure that will be the case.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #104
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Coach Staley courtside tonight in Ruckersville, VA, to see Samantha tip off her season at William Monroe.
https://twitter.com/damondillman/sta...67927369617408

Last edited by JDuro; 11-29-2017 at 12:31 PM..
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #105
DorchesterGamecock
Game MVP

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Checking in on BabyBruney!
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #106
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

William Monroe's Samantha Brunelle grows in stature with her dedication to basketball

Bruney cuts Louisville and Texas from her school choice list.
Now down to final nine: Kentucky, South Carolina, UConn, Notre Dame, Duke, Virgina, Maryland, Wake Forest, and NC St.
Interesting cuts of two high ranked programs in WCBB including one that was within regional convenience to her home in Virginia.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote