CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Flameout12
gotrice?
TaySC
rt3891
Master Bedroom
Garnet&BlackOp
Blitzkrieg
Cocky2001
Ironfan
Week 8: Around Colle (1461)
The difference in ou (676)
NCAAF: NC STATE @ CL (180)
hard credit inquiry. (136)
NCAAF: MISS STATE @ (131)
Game time vs Tenness (131)
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ TEN (122)
What Really Drags th (118)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (114)
NCAAF: AUBURN @ OLE (86)
What Really Drags the Exc
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Game time vs Tennessee
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
In-game adjustments, conf
Week 8: Around College Fo
A Few Thoughts On This Se
Convince me these are all
Why are we so bad 1st hal
G-League offering $125k t

Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material
Default What does Frank need for 2018 class?

We lose a PG in Myers and a 2G in Booker. We got Felder back to play PG, and we added Brian Bowen who can play SF or 2G. We have only one scholarship left for next year, provided no one leaves the team. Assuming everyone returns who will have eligibility left, what kind of player do we most need to give the last scholarship to? A big man? A PG? A wing? The best player we can get regardless of position? Or, save the scholarship for the loaded 2019 class?
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 121021016
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock
Default Re: What does Frank need for 2018 class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We lose a PG in Myers and a 2G in Booker. We got Felder back to play PG, and we added Brian Bowen who can play SF or 2G. We have only one scholarship left for next year, provided no one leaves the team. Assuming everyone returns who will have eligibility left, what kind of player do we most need to give the last scholarship to? A big man? A PG? A wing? The best player we can get regardless of position? Or, save the scholarship for the loaded 2019 class?
We have at least 2 more wins with a mediocre/healthy PG this year. Therefore, I'd say a PG (Felder) or wing that can shoot 3's.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

If Simons or Montgomery wanted to sign here, you take either one of them. You just can't turn away 5 star guys if they want to play here.

Outside of that, I would say find a PG. Inconsistent play at that position and lack of depth are concerns looking into the future..
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
It depends a little on Holden's health, but I'd say a 2-guard. But not just to take a body.

Beatty, Gravett, Hinson and Holden will be our returning guards next year. Add Felder and that might be enough. Never saw enough of Holden to tell if he can manage the point.

If we can't get someone who can contribute right away then I'd say save the scholarship for 2019.

As for players who might be leaving, I would think Gueye might transfer. Doumbia will likely get another year.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
If Simons or Montgomery wanted to sign here, you take either one of them. You just can't turn away 5 star guys if they want to play here.

Outside of that, I would say find a PG. Inconsistent play at that position and lack of depth are concerns looking into the future..
With Rah coming back, Holden healthy and Gravett improving, PG is less of a need in 2018-2019. Holden and Gravett will be Seniors but we can find a Freshman/JUCO/Transfer (or maybe two) to run with Rah in 2019-2020.

I agree with Simons or Montgomery. You go with the best talent available. If there is no clear candidate, go with a PG or combo type (which I think is the plan with our interest in Simons and Couisnard).
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
With Rah coming back, Holden healthy and Gravett improving, PG is less of a need in 2018-2019. Holden and Gravett will be Seniors but we can find a Freshman/JUCO/Transfer (or maybe two) to run with Rah in 2019-2020.

I agree with Simons or Montgomery. You go with the best talent available. If there is no clear candidate, go with a PG or combo type (which I think is the plan with our interest in Simons and Couisnard).
Yeah, I'm looking past next year for the PG depth. Given the choice of this class or next class, I'd rather go ahead and find a guy we're comfortable with. Get him some experience so that 2019/20 isn't Rah with a completely green backup.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Feathers
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Feathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his comb

I feel certain there will be more than one scholarship available. Probably as many as three.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

After watching the last couple of games I feel like the biggest need is at PG. Felder might be the answer but he hasn't played in a year now and this is a different team. I would want someone to back him up.

PG is probably the most crucial position on Frank Martin teams because he sets the tempo on offense and defense. Especially defense. Gravatt doesn't have the skills and Holden appears to be more of a 2G. Same with Beatty. Shooting will improve with someone more capable of setting players up with good shots.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Find more players who can handle the ball, drive to the basket and shooters. Easy enough...lol. The offense is difficult to watch most of the time and looks like we're trying to lull the defenders to sleep with the ball movement.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
carolina fan
Recruit

Male

carolina fan has earned his spurscarolina fan has earned his spurscarolina fan has earned his spurscarolina fan has earned his spurscarolina fan has earned his spurscarolina fan has earned his spurs

Gravett has looked pretty bad, more of a liability than anything lately..we need a solid PG, to share duties with Rah
carolina fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Maybe Lebron will leave Cleveland in the off-season and come join the Gamecocks.

We could use that.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Since we got Cuisnard, there are no scholarships left for 2018 without someone leaving the program. Currently, the new players for next season are Felder, Cuisnard and Bowen. Felder is a PG, which we need badly. Cuisnard is more of a wing, though I have heard he can play some PG. Bowen is a wing.

If my memory is accurate, we have had at least one player, who had eligibility left, leave the program after every season under Frank Martin. I expect that will be the case this season as well. I'm guessing the most likely candidates are Doumbia, Beatty, and Gueye, but that's just a guess. It could be someone else.

We are in the picture for TJ Moss, who is a 6-4 PG for a school in Vegas. Could be a combo guard. He would be someone good to add to the team, I think. We also are a possibility for a couple of players who might reclassify into the 2018 class: Brandon Stone, a 6-11 big, and Blake Hinson, a 6-7 combo forward, who is Evan Hinson's younger brother. All three of those guys are good prospects. And all would give us more talent than we have now. It's going to be interesting to see if we sign any of them.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
Feathers
Blue Chip

Male

Feathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his comb

Quote:
Since we got Cuisnard, there are no scholarships left for 2018 without someone leaving the program. Currently, the new players for next season are Felder, Cuisnard and Bowen. Felder is a PG, which we need badly. Cuisnard is more of a wing, though I have heard he can play some PG. Bowen is a wing.

If my memory is accurate, we have had at least one player, who had eligibility left, leave the program after every season under Frank Martin. I expect that will be the case this season as well. I'm guessing the most likely candidates are Doumbia, Beatty, and Gueye, but that's just a guess. It could be someone else.

We are in the picture for TJ Moss, who is a 6-4 PG for a school in Vegas. Could be a combo guard. He would be someone good to add to the team, I think. We also are a possibility for a couple of players who might reclassify into the 2018 class: Brandon Stone, a 6-11 big, and Blake Hinson, a 6-7 combo forward, who is Evan Hinson's younger brother. All three of those guys are good prospects. And all would give us more talent than we have now. It's going to be interesting to see if we sign any of them.
Doumbia would be my guess for the most likely to leave. He rarely plays. If can't get any playing time on this team he must be bad.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip

Male

GAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Doumbia would be my guess for the most likely to leave. He rarely plays. If can't get any playing time on this team he must be bad.
I still think Gueye is the first guy who will likely get cut. Doumbia is only a freshman and is likely a work in progress.
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1714744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

I'd just be happy to see us *not* sign another project big. Sigh......
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

There is a few players on this team that should not be on it. If we have better players considering coming here sign them up and cite last night's game as reasoning.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
Spur20001
Two Deep

Male

Spur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot material

With Felder and a healthy Holden I think we are in excellent shape at PG for next season.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Famouke Doumbia came in late due to eligibility issues, but he has talent. And for the people that worry about our athletic ability compared to other SEC teams, he is very athletic.

Same with Beatty. Frank's guards always make the biggest jump between their Freshman and Sophomore years. Which is why Frank is still getting him minutes even with him struggling - he sees potential and PT will help him get there faster.

That would leave Gueye as the likeliest "guy", but he was always going to take 2-3 years to develop and he is starting to show glimpses of being a legit big man.

Frank is still recruiting, so that means something. If we sign a big, that means that Gueye or Silva (NBA) are gone. If it is a Guard, then something else is going on. Felder checks the PG box, but we need a back-up - it could be Gravett, Holden or Couisnard. I don't see Beatty at PG.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Famouke Doumbia came in late due to eligibility issues, but he has talent. And for the people that worry about our athletic ability compared to other SEC teams, he is very athletic.

Same with Beatty. Frank's guards always make the biggest jump between their Freshman and Sophomore years. Which is why Frank is still getting him minutes even with him struggling - he sees potential and PT will help him get there faster.

That would leave Gueye as the likeliest "guy", but he was always going to take 2-3 years to develop and he is starting to show glimpses of being a legit big man.

Frank is still recruiting, so that means something. If we sign a big, that means that Gueye or Silva (NBA) are gone. If it is a Guard, then something else is going on. Felder checks the PG box, but we need a back-up - it could be Gravett, Holden or Couisnard. I don't see Beatty at PG.
Phil Kornblut just put out an article on TJ Moss, PG from Findlay Prep. Frank is going to watch him next week.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
QRichardson
Walk On

Male

QRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his combQRichardson is developing his comb

I think Felder will come back and be a strong PG, he did well for the 16-17 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote