CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Lancelot
thekob
Spur's Addiction
rt3891
kick_ball
Take-a-Knee
carolina_corpsman
2k15
Master Bedroom
ShutTheSuccop
Dickerson medically (234)
SEC Media Days
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Kawhi to Toronto for Dero
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2018 Prediction Thread -
Dickerson medically clear
Gamecock Jordan brand?
2019 - SF - Juwan Gary (M
USC 2018 Rank The Games Y
Can Carolina and Tennesse

Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Garnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot material
Default Dan Werner - QB coach

Figured he needed a thread for himself. I personally believe this is a home run hire! He’s made multiple so-so QB’s great!

Dan Werner info:

http://www.gamecockfanatics.com/topi...ootball-staff/ (Credit to uscgmck for the find!)

https://247sports.com/college/south-...ach--113250936

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...193130654.html

Last edited by Garnet&BLK; 01-05-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Garnet&BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dan Werner - QB coach

I think this hire will prove to be our best and most important.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Werner is a big reason why I am on board with the BMac promotion. Werner is going to be what Coach Muschamp is for T-Rob. A veteran that has seen pretty much everything. BMac is going to be able to throw ideas off of him and get feedback. He is also going to be a steadying presence on game day since he will probably be on the field working with Jake and communicating up to BMac in the booth.

Plus this guy can flat out coach QBs and he KNOWS spread up tempo offense. TBS mentioned that their Ole Miss sources referred to him as the "QB Whisperer". His ideas mixed with Bobby Bentley's and Coach McClendon's can only spell good for our offense going forward.

Also he is going to be huge for the development of Joyner. If there is anyone in the country that can improve Dak's passing, its Werner.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Last edited by CoverTwo; 01-05-2018 at 12:47 PM..
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot material

Dude has a hell of a story too. Single dad after his wife passed at 37 with a child with autism and 10 yr old daughter. Unbelievable how he’s able to be as successful as he is on the field as well!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--fa...d-tragedy.html
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

I had no problem with Bentley being QB coach, but I understand why Boom would want to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Plus, this way, Jake can still get coaching from his Dad in the offseason and we get yet another good offensive mind on the staff. Werner's experience with tempo offenses will help both BMac and Jake.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

I do, too. This hire was a steal for experience and ability. He's shown the ability to improve and develop a slew of QBs. He's played a role in a prolific offense and brings experience to a young OC. We've got a potential playmaker coming in at QB and one already at QB that with improvement could be really amazing.

For whatever doubt people have with McClendon, I think Dan Werner is frankly overqualified to be where he is and I'm glad for it.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

http://www.gamecockfanatics.com/topi...ootball-staff/

A taste
Coach Dan Werner

I think what he brings is:
  • -Valuable advice about game planning to help McClendon be successful as a first time OC.
  • -Knowledge about what made Hugh Freeze's offense so successful, and maybe he can implement some of that stuff into the playbook.
  • Really good QB coach, and pretty good recruiter of QBs (I mean Ole Miss landed Shea Patterson right before he was fired).
  • Avoids the controversy of Bentley being the QB coach and coaching his son (I don't think it's a problem but I can see how I could lead to being one).

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Great find! Iím gonna post this up top as well! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Never heard of Werner before this week, but he seems to be one those unsung heroes who accomplishes a lot without a lot of notoriety.

I am assuming by naming BM as OC that our issues are more about staff management and less about scheme. Werner being exposed to Saban's management style will also help us in that area as well.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

I was admant he not get the oc job.... but he's a slam dunk hire as qb coach. Anyone who can make bo Wallace into legit qb can coach.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Werner is a big reason why I am on board with the BMac promotion. Werner is going to be what Coach Muschamp is for T-Rob. A veteran that has seen pretty much everything. BMac is going to be able to throw ideas off of him and get feedback. He is also going to be a steadying presence on game day since he will probably be on the field working with Jake and communicating up to BMac in the booth.

Plus this guy can flat out coach QBs and he KNOWS spread up tempo offense. TBE mentioned that their Ole Miss sources referred to him as the "QB Whisperer". His ideas mixed with Bobby Bentley's and Coach McClendon's can only spell good for our offense going forward.

Also he is going to be huge for the development of Joyner. If there is anyone in the country that can improve Dak's passing, its Werner.

I like this. Great post.

dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Fans of other SEC schools seem to think this is an excellent hire.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244550779341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet&BLK View Post
Dude has a hell of a story too. Single dad after his wife passed at 37 with a child with autism and 10 yr old daughter. Unbelievable how heís able to be as successful as he is on the field as well!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--fa...d-tragedy.html
Thanks for posting this!

I told a friend yesterday that I didn't know much about coach Werner, but since reading this article I know he will be a great addition for Gamecock Nation!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

I think having Werner on as QB coach is going to help us land quality QBs as well. Who wouldn’t want to play QB for a guy with such a good track record?
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 5236
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Didn’t he land Shea Patterson?
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Didn’t he land Shea Patterson?
Yes
Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Thanks for posting this!

I told a friend yesterday that I didn't know much about coach Werner, but since reading this article I know he will be a great addition for Gamecock Nation!
No problem! Itís a heck of a story for sure! Makes me want to pull for him even more now
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #18
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

If he can get Jake to play more consistently that alone will make a huge improvement to our offense.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Why did Ole Miss let him go in Oct of 2016?
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 4640
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I hope this new QB coach hire with uptempo offense experience is directed at Clemson from how Syracuse was able to beat them. If so that’s awesome.