CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kick_ball
rt3891
Three and Out
Blitzkrieg
catdaddy66
ConwayGamecock
Y Formation
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
**GAME #3 USC (22-17 (5500)
Gamecocks win Palmet (832)
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Gamecocks win Palmetto Se
**GAME #3 USC (22-17) vs.
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
***Green Green Grass Of H
Dawn gets a longevity bon
2018 - Nick Harvey
*** Softball 2018 season
Dakereon Joyners' speed..
"What is a loaf?&quo

Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material
Default Re: Now that the OC is for sure...

It will really depend on how our OL turns out. Do they get better? No idea really.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #22
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
Regular season 10-2
SECC Game 10-3
Bowl 11-3
Impossible! Don't you know the bowl game showed McClendon is going to fail miserably? We might be the first team in history to end up with negative points on the scoreboard. Isn't that what you and a bunch of other people wanted us to believe before the announcement?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #23
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6800
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I think 8-4 is most likely record. I think 10-2 is the highest possible record we can hope for. I think Florida, A&M and obviously UGA Clemson are the 4 games we’d be the underdog/lose. Think A&M DC hire just made them a legit force. Florida has a good staff and still lots of talent.
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #24
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 25500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Before going into my picks, I want to make two points. First, I picked us to win 7-8 games in reg season for last year, and a possible ninth in the bowl. second, I think all of you guys are completely forgetting one team, who might be a monster next year. What about Mizzou? What lock did with his team coming down the stretch is nothing to forget, or underestimate. But, will stay or will he go? They did lose their OC also.
That being said, I see tons of talent on this team for next year that most people outside of this program just don't know, or aren't thinking about.

_On defense, we will have an older, stronger and more experienced TJ Brunson, Keir Thomas, DJ Wonnum, Daniel Fennell, Aron Sterling, Brad Johnson, Shameik Blackshear and Javon Kinlaw. Add to that a much, much, much faster and more talented backend of Williams, Nixon, Dickerson, Montac, Fenton and Jackson. Not to mention some extremely talented guys who RS or are coming in. I loved the playing time and development of Greene, Thompson (Staley and Bowen there too). And let's not forget BAW coming back to play! Coach Boom is building a monster on Defense!

_On offense we have a ton of depth and ability at the wr position, no need to go into those guys, as we all know them well. The rb's are the same thing. Tons of talented matured men in that stable. We all know about Jake and Joyner, which looks even brighter under the direction of Werner. I completely disagree with the poster, whoever it was above who said TE was a question mark. We have tons of talent at TE. August catches EVERYTHING that was ever thrown at him, and I think he was the most underutilized player on this team. He was every bit as dependable as Hurst catching the ball, and he blocks a lot better than Hurst. Then you've got Crosby and Pollard. Both are proven and both play very well when given their chances, which for some reason were rare. But let's not forget about Hinson and Markway. Both are very talented and should get increased playing time.
I also feel absolutely fine with the interior DL. Thompson is one of the most underrated coaches on our staff. There was a gigantic step up on performance over the last year. A ton of young interior DL guys got great experience over this past season. I have great confidence in Smith, Thompson and Kinlaw. So that just leaves the only unit on the team which I have mixed feelings about. The OL. Don't get me wrong, we have tons of talent on the OL. I think Bailey, Daley, Stanley, Hutcherson, Young and Pellage are all star quality guys. And Rhodes, Camper, Carlay and Douglas will be in due time. What about guys like Putnam, Derouen, Johnson and Ferrell? I don't know what to expect out of these guys. And how much can Wolf get out of Gwyn and Lyama??? I know Manos is a mean nasty guy, but can he come in and play right away? How good is Gibbs or Campbell? This is STILL the biggest question mark to our season later this year. If some of these newcomers can live up to the hype, however, I'll feel pretty good about what we can accomplish this year. This team might be ten times better than we realize at this point. I don't think it's possible for them to be ten times worse. Coach Boom has gotten a lot of his own players in here, and I think we have closed the talent gap on several teams in this league.
One last thing, if Joyner turns out to be nearly as great as we all think he can be, this team will compete for championships pretty soon. Same goes for Bentley.

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #25
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Unfortunately, I think our OL is going to be more of the same next year...
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #26
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Impossible! Don't you know the bowl game showed McClendon is going to fail miserably? We might be the first team in history to end up with negative points on the scoreboard. Isn't that what you and a bunch of other people wanted us to believe before the announcement?
I don't get set in one position like stone. Make a cogent argument and I can be convinced. However, I still think it would have been SAFER to make a proven hire at OC.
That doesn't change the fact that I always HOPE for the best and expect to "Win Em All", see my SIG. I don't normally respond to rude or uninformed posts but I made an exception. See changed my position again.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #27
Lant
Pretty Fly Old Guy

Male

CockyCash: 323529
Lant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
I don't get set in one position like stone. Make a cogent argument and I can be convinced. However, I still think it would have been SAFER to make a proven hire at OC.
That doesn't change the fact that I always HOPE for the best and expect to "Win Em All", see my SIG. I don't normally respond to rude or uninformed posts but I made an exception. See changed my position again.
On Target!!!
Lant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #28
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

[quote=snoopcockycock;5130139]Before going into my picks, I want to make two points. First, I picked us to win 7-8 games in reg season for last year, and a possible ninth in the bowl.

WOW!!!! What a great post and Poster. See entire post above.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #29
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

We got lucky at Michigan...we got lucky at La Tech... I think we are in for a repeat year at 9-4 next year unless our OL play improves.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #30
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3111
cockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
We got lucky at Michigan...we got lucky at La Tech... I think we are in for a repeat year at 9-4 next year unless our OL play improves.
How did we get lucky against Michigan? We dominated them
cockyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #31
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
How did we get lucky against Michigan? We dominated them
Exaggerate much? We won by 7 and were down by 16 in the 3rd quarter.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #32
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Snoop - I know that I defend the O Line - a lot - but I have zero concern about the O Line. With the caveat that Bailey and Stanley both come back. I am more worried about back-up QB and finding replacements for Senior stars on Defense (esp. Safety).

We can potentially have 4 Seniors on the two deep at Tackle - Daley and Bailey starting, Young and Camper backing up. Daley and Bailey are as good a pair as we have had.

Hutcherson and Stanley will be very good at Guard. Stanley is hugely under-rated - he challenges Bailey for our best O Lineman - and Hutcherson is a future all-star.

I think that Young might get moved back to Guard to give us a 3rd veteran there. Otherwise, we run the risk of losing all four Tackles to graduation and having no experience in 2019. Boom is high on both of the RS Freshman tackles (Rhodes and Carty) and I expect they will battle for one of the back-up spots.

That leaves Center as the only question mark. Boom is also high on Chandler Farrell and he could very well be the starter. But either RS Freshman Eric Douglas or true Freshman Hank Manos will challenge for the starting job. I personally believe that you really need to RS O Linemen - with rare exceptions - so I would think that Manos takes a RS, leaving Douglas and Farrell to fight it out for the starting spot.

Most teams do not go much deeper than 8 O Linemen unless there are injuries. We have a really good top 8, plus Carty, Rhodes, Carlay, Pellage, and Derouen, and a really nice Freshman class coming in (come on, Wonnum!).

Oh - and in the projected starting line-up, we would have 3 Seniors (4 if Young moves back to Guard and beats out Hutcherson), a RS Junior, and a RS Sophomore, plus two more Seniors in the top 8. Talent, experience, coaching and numbers = no worries.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #33
TaySC
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Has anyone heard that JB was hurt most of this season and played anyway? I know on twitter that Rob Proffitt strongly suggested that he would do better in the bowl simply because he was finally close to being healthy.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #34
Cockygaming
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 850600
Cockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Has anyone heard that JB was hurt most of this season and played anyway? I know on twitter that Rob Proffitt strongly suggested that he would do better in the bowl simply because he was finally close to being healthy.
You talking about Bentley? If so Iím not buying it. Not once did he appear to be hurt during games. Time off can help relax muscles and stuff though. If he was hurt he sure didnít play like it or show signs of it in my opinion.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #35
TaySC
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
You talking about Bentley? If so Iím not buying it. Not once did he appear to be hurt during games. Time off can help relax muscles and stuff though. If he was hurt he sure didnít play like it or show signs of it in my opinion.
Honestly, I think it would depend on exactly what was hurt, which I do not know.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #36
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

We will be better offensively and defensively.....and we have an easier schedule.
The only thing that will derail us is a much poorer turnover margin.

Drew Locke got his NFL grade back and he isnít projected to get drafted in the first or second round, so weíll see if he comes out. And we play them at home.

We didnít get a high profile win in 2017, weíll get at least one in 2018.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #37
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
We will be better offensively and defensively.....and we have an easier schedule.
The only thing that will derail us is a much poorer turnover margin.

Drew Locke got his NFL grade back and he isn’t projected to get drafted in the first or second round, so we’ll see if he comes out. And we play them at home.

We didn’t get a high profile win in 2017, we’ll get at least one in 2018.
I don’t know if I agree our schedule is easier. A&M is going to be better. Florida will likely be back to a top 20 team and then we have UGA and Clemson still. I know we don’t have an NC State game but Florida being good and at their place will make next year as difficult as this year or harder.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #38
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Snoop - I know that I defend the O Line - a lot - but I have zero concern about the O Line. With the caveat that Bailey and Stanley both come back. I am more worried about back-up QB and finding replacements for Senior stars on Defense (esp. Safety).

We can potentially have 4 Seniors on the two deep at Tackle - Daley and Bailey starting, Young and Camper backing up. Daley and Bailey are as good a pair as we have had.

Hutcherson and Stanley will be very good at Guard. Stanley is hugely under-rated - he challenges Bailey for our best O Lineman - and Hutcherson is a future all-star.

I think that Young might get moved back to Guard to give us a 3rd veteran there. Otherwise, we run the risk of losing all four Tackles to graduation and having no experience in 2019. Boom is high on both of the RS Freshman tackles (Rhodes and Carty) and I expect they will battle for one of the back-up spots.

That leaves Center as the only question mark. Boom is also high on Chandler Farrell and he could very well be the starter. But either RS Freshman Eric Douglas or true Freshman Hank Manos will challenge for the starting job. I personally believe that you really need to RS O Linemen - with rare exceptions - so I would think that Manos takes a RS, leaving Douglas and Farrell to fight it out for the starting spot.

Most teams do not go much deeper than 8 O Linemen unless there are injuries. We have a really good top 8, plus Carty, Rhodes, Carlay, Pellage, and Derouen, and a really nice Freshman class coming in (come on, Wonnum!).

Oh - and in the projected starting line-up, we would have 3 Seniors (4 if Young moves back to Guard and beats out Hutcherson), a RS Junior, and a RS Sophomore, plus two more Seniors in the top 8. Talent, experience, coaching and numbers = no worries.
ON TARGET!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #39
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I donít know if I agree our schedule is easier. A&M is going to be better. Florida will likely be back to a top 20 team and then we have UGA and Clemson still. I know we donít have an NC State game but Florida being good and at their place will make next year as difficult as this year or harder.
Plus, our OOC "Marshall" finished 8-5 with Bowl win over Cola St. I wouldn't call them a push over.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 AM   #40
PalmettoCockZ71
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
PalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Only game Proffitt said that was the Clemson game cause runoff leading up to the game was that Jake had the flu
PalmettoCockZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote