CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
catdaddy66
TaySC
thumpin big
CockNJersey
crowcutta
usc1
Y Formation
Order 66
kingofnerf
**USC (12-6) vs. Ten (3182)
2018 - PF - EJ Montg (883)
So close yet not qui (635)
UFC 220: Stipe Mioci (359)
NCAAB: Tennessee @ S (292)
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
New Smart TV
**USC (12-6) vs. Tennesse
UFC 220: Stipe Miocic vs
Perfect Game 2018 Preseas
247 is a Joke
2018 - PF - EJ Montgomery
So close yet not quite ag
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
How will South Carolina h

Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 10480
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material
Default Re: J Kendall"Muschamp Gambling w/McClendon

I will say it again The Kendal Briles talk cracks me up. Like Roper who everyone hates and wants to stay away from, Briles has only worked for Offensive genius, Kiffin and his dad. Many said Roper sucked because he only worked for Cutcliffe and he was the really running things.

Muschamp didn't just hand the reins over to McClendon alone, he handed them to him with a great support system. Muschamp believes in the team concept, and surrounding McClendon with a solid staff will help him make his transition into the roll.

Lou did the same thing when he promoted Strong, and it turned out well.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #42
BringBackGarcia
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
General question to all:

If you are mad about McClendon getting the OC job because he lacks experience, do you think the freshman Bama QB should be the starter to begin next year?
Not a good analogy.

If you're going to say something like that, it should be:

Do you think the starting RB should start at QB next year?

A freshman QB has had experience being a quarterback, just not at that level. McClendon has had no experience save one game calling an offense.

FWIW, I think McClendon can be successful, so not trying to be negative; just pointing out the fallacy in the analogy.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #43
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5400
bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
Not a good analogy.

If you're going to say something like that, it should be:

Do you think the starting RB should start at QB next year?

A freshman QB has had experience being a quarterback, just not at that level. McClendon has had no experience save one game calling an offense.

FWIW, I think McClendon can be successful, so not trying to be negative; just pointing out the fallacy in the analogy.
So, you think McClendon has never had any input in to what plays are being called during a game, either while Associate/Interim HC at UGA or as Co-OC here?
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #44
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 6650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
One game? Kinda like putting in a new guy to run the anchor leg of a 4X100 relay, and he runs a fast lap to lead you to victory. And then you say "it was only one race" and you sit him back down.

In that analogy, it makes no sense - he has already shown he is fast, and there is no reason to believe that he will not get even better as he works with the other relay members and has more training.

By bringing in Werner to go with Bentley, there is a brain trust available for assistance. But BMac already can coach on his own - that was shown in the years leading up to getting the OC gig, and then in the bowl prep, execution and adjustments against a top Defense.

No learning curve with the players and they believe in him, so does Boom. Smart, smart hire.
Of course it's an absurd analogy to equate athleticism with coaching skill, a god-given ability vs cumulative experiential learning. But, if that kind of logic makes you feel better, have at it.

Really hope you're right about Werner's experience saving BMac's ass, it's not uncommon for the experience of an underling to make up for a boss's lack of it. It may turn out to be a smart hire after all, and I'd be very relieved if it is, but it's still very much an open question.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #45
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 6650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Are you sure he had any other options? It's great to question the promotion of BMac but it's very possible no one else was really interested. I know we all like to say "it's an SEC job" but keep in mind we had trouble fining someone who wanted to take the HC job and now your asking to find a guy who is willing to be OC number 5 for a guy who hasn't lost one to a promotion yet. I'm just not sure if this was picking who he thought was the best guy, the most convenient guy or the only guy.
I wish we knew what the other options were but that is never going to happen. We will not know how far Muschamp cast his net and whether he was looking in earnest or it was a done deal when Roper was fired. All we know is the final result, which I feel will be good for recruiting but is a giant question mark for coaching.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

It's gamble and he is hedging his bets by hiring Werner. The move itself I think is not that bad, could even prove to be good. My problem is the attitude about whether he searched long an hard for someone. When you hire a guy to lead your football team you want to know that he is doing his due diligence especially when it comes to big moves like who is going to be your offensive coordinator. CWM seems very touchy when questioned about that it's disturbing to me.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #47
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 8400
nin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So, you think McClendon has never had any input in to what plays are being called during a game, either while Associate/Interim HC at UGA or as Co-OC here?
I'm pretty sure the co-OC title was mostly for salary reasons. Kurt Roper's been the one overseeing everything and making the final calls. None of us know what went down behind the scenes, but suggesting some plays and installing schemes to run a system you feel fits your team and personal strengths as a coach is hard when you don't really know what those strengths are yet.

Looking at our roster for next year, McClendon's experience w/ WRs, and bringing in a great QB coach I assume we want to sling it around more than we have been. Rushing will always be a necessary part of the offense but we don't have bruising OL nor the horses in the backfield to make it work like UGA or Bama against SEC front 7s.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #48
BringBackGarcia
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Do you think a RB has never thrown a football or study a defense?

It's different being co-whatever and having input and being the man and making decisions and calls.

Again, I'm not saying McClendon isn't ready to be the OC, all I'm saying is that comparing a new OC who's called one game totally on his own with someone else's playbook and a college freshman QB who's played football at that position his entire life and played it at an elite level isn't the same thing. It's just not a good analogy or argument in defense of McClendon.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #49
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1061017
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I will say it again The Kendal Briles talk cracks me up. Like Roper who everyone hates and wants to stay away from, Briles has only worked for Offensive genius, Kiffin and his dad. Many said Roper sucked because he only worked for Cutcliffe and he was the really running things.

Muschamp didn't just hand the reins over to McClendon alone, he handed them to him with a great support system. Muschamp believes in the team concept, and surrounding McClendon with a solid staff will help him make his transition into the roll.

Lou did the same thing when he promoted Strong, and it turned out well.
Quoting this post for when Houston fields a top 10 offense next year because of Briles.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #50
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 10480
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Quoting this post for when Houston fields a top 10 offense next year because of Briles.
IF he does, great, it will be the first time he did it on is own.

My point was people chastised Roper for the about the same things.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #51
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
You do realize that Houston was already ranked 40th in total offense despite having to use 3 QBs right? Just having the starter stay healthy all year will give them a boost.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #52
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Kendall...that is all I needed to see to know it was lazy trash.

Every hire is a gamble...regardless of who it is.
Hiring Spurrier was a gamble...hiring Holtz was a gamble.

The ceiling is hire for McClendon, he has a good support staff. You are weighing is inexperience at the position against the experience of the staff around him.

Here is the thing, every coordinator is inexperienced when they start out.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #53
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
It's gamble and he is hedging his bets by hiring Werner. The move itself I think is not that bad, could even prove to be good. My problem is the attitude about whether he searched long an hard for someone. When you hire a guy to lead your football team you want to know that he is doing his due diligence especially when it comes to big moves like who is going to be your offensive coordinator. CWM seems very touchy when questioned about that it's disturbing to me.
quit crying. the man has learned from past mistakes and has been proactive in getting a new oc and qb coach. this all coming off a 9 win season. nothing has happened yet to warrant your high blood pressure. give it a year.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #54
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 17185
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Huge gamble
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #55
scoopd
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
scoopd has hatched from the shell

First post from long time reader of a lot of BS! Josh (Dabo Jr.) is worse than Ron Moron. Who even reads his so called expertise information. A lot of posters on this board are either clemsux fans or don't know football. Every OC had to have their first gig to prove if they were capable. B MAC will do fine if we find an OL that can block somebody. Dabo Jr. reference is because he always wants to be in the picture during interviews.
scoopd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #56
highpockets12
4-Star

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

MUSCHAMP just rolled SNAKE EYES ,
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #57
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13662
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Of course it's an absurd analogy to equate athleticism with coaching skill, a god-given ability vs cumulative experiential learning. But, if that kind of logic makes you feel better, have at it.

Really hope you're right about Werner's experience saving BMac's ass, it's not uncommon for the experience of an underling to make up for a boss's lack of it. It may turn out to be a smart hire after all, and I'd be very relieved if it is, but it's still very much an open question.
Nothing absurd - I am equating skill and ability. If you can run fast, you can run fast. If you can coach, you can coach.

BMac is a rising star, has paid his dues, and he did what he needed in his tryout. We have a system, plays and terminology in place, no need to reinvent the wheel. Just keep what works, make adjustments, be more aggressive and up-tempo with the playcalling. It ain't rocket science.

And he has guys that have with experience with playcalling and coordinating around him. Good decisions by Boom and a home run hire.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #58
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

It's absolute a major risk. He's never been a coordinator and said that he only plans to make a few noticeable tweaks to the offense. This hire very well could write the book on Muschamp's tenure at USC, just like it did at Florida when he failed with the Brent Pease hire.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #59
Johnny Cockyc@sh
Banned

Male

Johnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his comb

It'll show in time. If good, he has a job. If not, someone else will take him.
Johnny Cockyc@sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #60
CockNJersey
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Kind of a statement of the obvious.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote