CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
Three and Out
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
GregoryHouse
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
SanAntonioCock
Great Article on Coa (1096)
The Open (343)
For the Drag Racing (183)
Great College Footba (165)
Homemade Hot Sauce
2019 - Jammie Robinson
We Can Beat Them
2019 Commitment - Jahkeem
The Open
TD to Shi
2019 Warm / Warmer / Favo
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
why no mention of Garcia
Selling 4 Tickets for Eve


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #281
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP
 
scfastpitch's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbia
Posts: 2,417
CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Disappointed that we lost 2 of 3 to KY, but a very good season for the ladies.

Hopefully we can win some more in the SECT this week and host a Regional.
If 40 plus wins and 15-9 in the SEC isn't good enough to host a regional then I have no clue what it would take . We had a chance to possibly catch Georgia for second place in the conference but didn't get it done . One good thing about the two seed and the three seed - they are both on the opposite side of the bracket from Florida in the SEC tournament .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #282
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP
 
scfastpitch's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbia
Posts: 2,417
CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

The final 2018 standings - Florida comfortably in first , with USC sandwiched a game behind Georgia and a game ahead of Tennessee :

http://www.secsports.com/standings/softball


And the 2018 tournament bracket :

http://www.secsports.com/bracket/softball


ps - Missouri hosts the SEC tournament but finished last and will not participate
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #283
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take
 
ConwayGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 16,276
CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
If 40 plus wins and 15-9 in the SEC isn't good enough to host a regional then I have no clue what it would take . We had a chance to possibly catch Georgia for second place in the conference but didn't get it done . One good thing about the two seed and the three seed - they are both on the opposite side of the bracket from Florida in the SEC tournament .
IMO it depends more on our final ranking than number of wins - we were ranked 12th heading into the series with UK, which was ranked 19th. Losing to a top 20 conference opponent on the road isn't the worst thing in the world, but I imagine it will drop the team's ranking a spot or two. Sixteen teams typically get to host Regionals - not always the top 16 ranked teams. Sometimes it may also have to do with size of stadiums and/or game attendance sizes, which happens from time to time with college baseball too.

USC won't have any of those issues: we have a state of the art softball stadium, and last season were in the top 15 nationally in home game attendance, and we have a much better team this season (they haven't compiled attendance records for this season yet). We just need to not leave ourselves in a position for 16 teams NOT named South Carolina to have a better reason to host than we'll have, and we should be fine....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #284
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take
 
ConwayGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 16,276
CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
The final 2018 standings - Florida comfortably in first , with USC sandwiched a game behind Georgia and a game ahead of Tennessee :

http://www.secsports.com/standings/softball


And the 2018 tournament bracket :

http://www.secsports.com/bracket/softball


ps - Missouri hosts the SEC tournament but finished last and will not participate
So with the 1st rd bye, we'll play the winner between 6-Seed Texas A&M and 11-Seed Miss State. We swept MSU at home this season, but lost to TAMU 2-1 in College Station. The lost games were 3-0 and 2-1, so it was a close series. Obviously we'd love for the Bulldogs to score the upset here, but that's pretty unlikely....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #285
JerseyBird
Just go for the ball
 
JerseyBird's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Caldwell NJ
Posts: 10,954
CockyCash: 36177411632827
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post

ps - Missouri hosts the SEC tournament but finished last and will not participate
I feel just awful for them

OK I'm over it
__________________
Beat, um, somebody!
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #286
GaCocky
Walk On
 
GaCocky's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: georgia
Posts: 43
CockyCash: 500
GaCocky has hatched from the shell
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
IMO it depends more on our final ranking than number of wins - we were ranked 12th heading into the series with UK, which was ranked 19th. Losing to a top 20 conference opponent on the road isn't the worst thing in the world, but I imagine it will drop the team's ranking a spot or two. Sixteen teams typically get to host Regionals - not always the top 16 ranked teams. Sometimes it may also have to do with size of stadiums and/or game attendance sizes, which happens from time to time with college baseball too.

USC won't have any of those issues: we have a state of the art softball stadium, and last season were in the top 15 nationally in home game attendance, and we have a much better team this season (they haven't compiled attendance records for this season yet). We just need to not leave ourselves in a position for 16 teams NOT named South Carolina to have a better reason to host than we'll have, and we should be fine....
RPI is the ranking that carries most weight when determining seeding. We were 10th in it last week. Let's just win the dang SEC tournament and stay at home for regionals and supers. 😎🐔
GaCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #287
Cocklover
Take Chances
 
Cocklover's Avatar
 
Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 34,645
CockyCash: 99900000
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

you win 43 games in a season...you should be hosting a regional without any questions whatsoever...insane to even be wondering if we will or not.
__________________
Cocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #288
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP
 
scfastpitch's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbia
Posts: 2,417
CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
you win 43 games in a season...you should be hosting a regional without any questions whatsoever...insane to even be wondering if we will or not.
The third best record in the SEC probably carries even more weight than the 43 wins overall , and the RPI should still be comfortably in the top 16 . Even if we go one-and-done in the SEC tourney we should still host .

edit - Latest softball RPI (May 9) has USC at #11 .

Last edited by scfastpitch; 05-07-2018 at 01:24 PM..
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #289
JerseyBird
Just go for the ball
 
JerseyBird's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Caldwell NJ
Posts: 10,954
CockyCash: 36177411632827
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Surprised no one else posted yet (hope everyone's OK!) - we beat Hail State 3-1 to advance to the SEC Semifinals for the first time since 2002



EDIT: Saw the separate SEC Tournament thread - nvmd
__________________
Beat, um, somebody!
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #290
Cocklover
Take Chances
 
Cocklover's Avatar
 
Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 34,645
CockyCash: 99900000
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default Re: *** Softball 2018 season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Surprised no one else posted yet (hope everyone's OK!) - we beat Hail State 3-1 to advance to the SEC Semifinals for the first time since 2002



EDIT: Saw the separate SEC Tournament thread - nvmd
There is another thread for the tourney...we've been posting in that one
__________________
Cocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Provided by SLB Development