CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Ace Dilcock
Master Bedroom
ucan'tlickourcocks
2000grad
Lonnie
Spur's Addiction
Y Formation
Tigertime
Wisercock
Ortre Smith (1156)
Woman loses her mind (624)
TJ Brunson (575)
DIY flowerpot smoker (226)
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TEC (112)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (80)
NCAAF: FLORIDA @ KEN (73)
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ VAN (64)
NCAAF: NORTH CAROLIN (63)
The Godfather explai (58)
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
TJ Brunson
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
2018 - Saivion Smith
Ole Miss Rebels could swa
Ortre Smith
Crowd Against La Tech
What was your original pr
Does Deebo Return Next Se

Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Who starts at cornerback?

With Jamyest coming in I assumed he would start by mid season or so, but we have king, lammons and Fenton. I know they will rotate in and out at times but I assumed jamyest was going to start. Who does he replace? King, Fenton and lammons aren't exceptional but they've been ok and gotten some turnovers. Muschamp has stated that Fenton has been the most consistent of the 3 this offseason.

it's often said that safeties are safeties because they're too slow to play corner. I really wouldn't mind seeing lammons move to safety if he's not afraid to hit. DJ smith to me hasn't cut it at safety and he's had plenty of time. Not sure Lammons is an upgrade but I'd like to see. Maybe he comes around this year though I don't know. Williams and Dickerson are going to shake the secondary up with competition this fall and I expect our secondary to flourish the next few years with the addition of those 2.

Last edited by GamecockSuperFan; 04-20-2017 at 04:55 PM..
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062293326235
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who starts at cornerback?

Doubt Jaymest starts game one. Probably king and Lammons with Fenton and Williams in the 2 deep.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I will be stunned if a 5'9" true freshman corner starts.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 895200
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Prepare to be stunned three games into the season.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Prepare to be stunned three games into the season.
I just don't see it. I see him competing for the nickel spot if anything. His biggest impact could be on Special Teams as a Punt Returner. If I am an OC and I see my 6'4 receiver lined up on a 5'9 true freshman, I'm picking on him all day long. He is a talented player but he isn't Vernon Hargreaves.

King, Fenton, and Lammons will handle the Corner spots again. Williams, Nixon, and Chalmers will all be in the rotation somewhere.

I expect Smith, Dickerson, Montac, and Wilder to hold down the Safety spots. Its possible Lammons and Nixon play some there too and I wouldn't rule out Charleston getting some burn.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just don't see it. I see him competing for the nickel spot if anything. His biggest impact could be on Special Teams as a Punt Returner. If I am an OC and I see my 6'4 receiver lined up on a 5'9 true freshman, I'm picking on him all day long. He is a talented player but he isn't Vernon Hargreaves.

King, Fenton, and Lammons will handle the Corner spots again. Williams, Nixon, and Chalmers will all be in the rotation somewhere.

I expect Smith, Dickerson, Montac, and Wilder to hold down the Safety spots. Its possible Lammons and Nixon play some there too and I wouldn't rule out Charleston getting some burn.
I could be wrong but is 5'9 and 5'11 really a big difference at corner. Muschamp said last season can't remember which corner but he said he had a good vertical. It's. It like corners are going to be 6'2. They're always going to undersized to a WR. We don't have many corners over 5'10 if any.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #7
Three and Out
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Lammons is only 5'9". Unless we somehow find a quick DE that can rush the QB, we will continue to play mostly zone. I do think T-Rob will give Jamyest some reps at corner, especially if we are playing a team that throws it 50 times a game. It will be interesting to see how physical J-Will is with WR if he gets a chance to play press coverage at corner. I think Nixon will get plenty of PT at corner. I think he's going to be too good to keep off the field. And he has the size to be very physical with WR. Although, it will take all the new guys 3-4 games before they learn our defensive sets.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

Quote:
That's why I said by mid season. I'm talking about starting in general at any point and whose place does he take. If his size was such an issue that he shouldn't start because of it, then why even recruit the guy? 5'9 wasn't much of an issue for captain munnerlyn and by all accounts jamyest is projected to be better coming out of HS then captain was. There's literally 2 DBs on our whole roster 5'11 or higher. Don't see what 2 inches do. Most WRs are going to be taller anyways. He's got a great vertical.

Last edited by GamecockSuperFan; 04-21-2017 at 01:17 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Williams height will not be an issue. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him start at cb at some point this season.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
CockCopter
Professor

Male

CockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudly

Quote:
Depends on the matchup and how well he closes down. I bet we see it a few games. Captain 2.0
CockCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
Muschamp
Walk On

Male

Muschamp has feathers coming inMuschamp has feathers coming inMuschamp has feathers coming in

Quote:
He will start day 1
Muschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I think King and Lammons will start the season as they are more experienced and more developed. Williams will rotate in until he shows he can play at the CFB level and understands his assignments. Williams may not start all season long: I hope if he does, its because he's earned it and not because one of the others are doing poorly, and the staff has no choice...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I'll give it a try.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I'll give it a try.
You have the hips for it?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
You have the hips for it?
Not really. But a man can dream can't he?

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

No, Who starts at first.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

You guys are leaving some names out of the mix

16 Rashad Fenton DB 5-11 183 JR
40 Jason Senn DB 5-8 177 RS SO
22 Steven Montac DB 5-10 186 JR
12 Kaleb Chalmers DB 5-11 179 RS SO
17 Javon Charleston DB 6-0 183 RS SO
7 JaMarcus King DB 6-1 186 SR
36 Morgan Vest DB 6-0 190 RS FR
26 Jaylin Dickerson DB 6-1 180 FR
29 Antoine Wilder DB 5-10 185 RS SO
47 Jaylan Foster DB 5-10 187 SO
3 Chris Lammons DB 5-9 188 SR
24 D.J. Smith DB 5-11 194 SR
31 Chris Smith DB 5-9 180 RS FR
39 Demetrius Smalls DB 5-9 170 RS SR
34 Scott Grant DB 5-10 192 RS JR
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
You guys are leaving some names out of the mix

16 Rashad Fenton DB 5-11 183 JR
40 Jason Senn DB 5-8 177 RS SO
22 Steven Montac DB 5-10 186 JR
12 Kaleb Chalmers DB 5-11 179 RS SO
17 Javon Charleston DB 6-0 183 RS SO
7 JaMarcus King DB 6-1 186 SR
36 Morgan Vest DB 6-0 190 RS FR
26 Jaylin Dickerson DB 6-1 180 FR
29 Antoine Wilder DB 5-10 185 RS SO
47 Jaylan Foster DB 5-10 187 SO
3 Chris Lammons DB 5-9 188 SR
24 D.J. Smith DB 5-11 194 SR
31 Chris Smith DB 5-9 180 RS FR
39 Demetrius Smalls DB 5-9 170 RS SR
34 Scott Grant DB 5-10 192 RS JR

This tells me we need to get bigger.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

We also should have Nixon in soon and he will compete for a spot.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #20
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Yeah, Chalmers and Nixon are in the mix for the two deep. I have not heard much about Chris Smith since he came in early last year so he may not be in the mix. I think Wilder will be a Safety but he has played both positions.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote