CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
sporkgod50
Captain9Dragons
kingofnerf
SheckWes
RGHoskins
MountainCock
COCKDIESEL
Garnet&BLK
Bryant Has an X Fact (787)
Do We Only Lose Silv (689)
2020 - Justin Robins (527)
Jaylin McCreary SF/ (307)
refs doing everythin (297)
2019 - Jammie Robinson
2019 WBB - Breanna Beal -
Justin Minaya Injury Upda
Transfer Portal
Bryant Has an X Factor
refs doing everything pos
Unanimous
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2020 - Justin Robinson
*** #23 USC WBB (9-4, 1-0

Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #681
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: The "Cult of Frank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
We need to go 13-5 (19-12 overall) for me to believe that we took a step forward this year. That record gets us squarely on the bubble which was my preseason expectation. I find the previous 2 games very encouraging as the freshmen look to be starting to hit the freshman wall but the veterans are starting to carry the weight now. Hopefully Lawson and Bryant are able to circle the wagons by the midway point of conference play. We will need both of those guys to elevate their play down the stretch if we want to make a run at an NCAA bid.
The thing that irked the hell out of me from the start of this season up until a couple of
weeks ago, was that the Freshmen seemed to be the players who were trying to take
control of the team, and our upperclassmen "Leaders" were looking like they were
watching the game from the floor. There was no clear cut leader of the team from our
guys who needed to be Leaders. When you have freshmen trying to control the game,
then in pressure situations, they have not been there at this level, and if you miss
some shots, turn the ball over in those situations, or you loose focus on defense, and
fall behind, the team concept falls apart. Which is what we've seen most of this season.
A couple of weeks ago, against a strong Michigan team, we had upperclassmen starting
to look like they wanted to take charge. The freshmen seemed to rally around that
and even in a close played loss, there were signs that the team was "better" overall.
The following week against Virginia, there were long spurts where the team played
well, and that was because Sylva seemed to come into his game towards the end
and again, the freshmen seemed to feed off of that and play better.
Then in the UF game (ugly as hell at times from our part).... which may have been
a blessing in disguise, Gravett kept us in that game with some well timed 3 pointers
and some clutch steals and baskets, and a few nice assists. When it looked a few times
like Florida only needed to hit a couple more baskets on those runs they made to put
the game way Hassani would come up with a big play / steal / assist to keep the game
close. .... Eventually we found a way to win and all because toward the end of that
game, the freshmen seemed to elevate their games behind what Gravett did all game
long. Even though it was an ugly game, and a game that by rights should have
been a UF blowout (would have been earlier in the season) we found a way to pull
that one out ..........And that looked like it was a huge shot in the arm to this team.

Last night WOW, what a game by Maik Kotsar !! His best career game as a Gamecock
no doubt. Again though, an upperclassman rose to the occasion, put the team on his
back, made the plays that needed to be made to keep it close, and the freshmen
rallied around that. Gravett contributed last night as well, and so did Sylva, but
Maik took over and the rest of the team grew up around his play.
Best game this year for sure, and maybe the past two years. .. All because a "leader"
took control and the freshmen got behind them. I don't want to get too excited about
this year, because we've seen good play from this team too many times and then
watched it fall off the table almost every year since Frank took over, BUT ...... the
team seems to be "Gelling" right now. We need this kind of play consistently, but
over the past couple of weeks, the team has progressed and seems to be getting
stronger.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #682
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
I wrote off the Augusta loss as being a meaningless exhibition game. And, to an extent, you can look at the OOC schedule, including Wyoming, in the same way. The games still count towards NCAA eligibility, but the goal is to get experience for the young guys, keep everyone healthy and get them to start meshing for conference play.

And, of course, during the OOC part of the schedule, we were dealing with a LOT of injuries, a LOT of new faces (some of whom were also injured, slowing their development), and uncharacteristically poor play from Chris Silva. Plus, Wyoming is not a bad team, and is a tough place to play - between travel time, dealing with the thin air and an enthusiastic crowd.

Now that conference play is here, you will see tighter rotations (fewer substitutions, not that we have many guys to sub anyway), better chemistry, more defined roles, veteran leadership from the likes of Kotsar, Silva, Gravett and Campbell, and Frank focused on getting Ws as opposed to developing as a team.

Whether that results in a good conference slate or not, we will see. But in the last three games, they are playing like the team that I envisioned preseason. Even without Moss, Couisnard and Minaya being in the mix.

"PFW79 was right."

Augusta was what it was, but I'd give anything to have 2 or 3 of those non-conference losses turn into w's right now. Those couple games maybe the line between NIT and NCAA even if we ball out the rest of conference play.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #683
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Spurt, I think international players have become so common that we forget that they are dealing with issues beyond basketball. Silva is from a small, poor country, and he copes (in part) by being a quiet type that leads by example, not a vocal leader.

Add to that was that he was fighting through a preseason injury that impacted his early play. It is hard to lead by example when you are a big reason that the team is under-performing.

Kotsar is in a similar position as a foreign guy who now has to learn to be more assertive. Gravett had to adjust to a different role - going from PG last back to SG - but he seems to be figuring it out. Campbell, like Silva, is a Senior who did not click right away due to preseason injury, plus being on a new team.

I think the pieces are there and it is coming together. Although he is only a Sophomore, Minaya is a team leader, not surprising when you look at his Dad. Very smart and mature. We are not out of the woods by a long shot, but there is potential.

"PFW79 was right."
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #684
thumpin big
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Early in the season, the freshmen were our best players and the more experienced guys were struggling. That has reversed. The freshmen are looking like freshmen and the older guys have taken over as the best players. Everyone needs to keep getting better. If we don't have any more injuries, this could be a good season.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #685
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Spurt, I think international players have become so common that we forget that they are dealing with issues beyond basketball. Silva is from a small, poor country, and he copes (in part) by being a quiet type that leads by example, not a vocal leader.

Add to that was that he was fighting through a preseason injury that impacted his early play. It is hard to lead by example when you are a big reason that the team is under-performing.

Kotsar is in a similar position as a foreign guy who now has to learn to be more assertive. Gravett had to adjust to a different role - going from PG last back to SG - but he seems to be figuring it out. Campbell, like Silva, is a Senior who did not click right away due to preseason injury, plus being on a new team.

I think the pieces are there and it is coming together. Although he is only a Sophomore, Minaya is a team leader, not surprising when you look at his Dad. Very smart and mature. We are not out of the woods by a long shot, but there is potential.

"PFW79 was right."
I understand all of that, but when you look at it from a team concept (and our limited / Fans
perspective), There were times last year (and the year before) where Kotsar WAS aggressive
and calm under pressure. Especially down the stretch in that run to the final four, and it
Clicked for him. He should have learned from a couple of years ago as a freshmen, and last
season that, that kind of play is what Frank is wanting consistently here, and it pays off with
your play overall. He hadn't seem to let that sink in.
Sylva had an added hindrance to his development in that he had only been playing organized
basketball for a couple of years prior to his coming to South Carolina, and he was still learning
to develop the basics of the game at this level. .... Last season he seemed to be doing that well
and no one can say he hasn't learned to be aggressive. He was very aggressive in his freshman
year, and I'm absolutely positive the refs in this conference have pretty much decided since
his freshman season that he is a Fouling Machine, even though he's learned to play more
under control. Chris gets whistled for some of the most ridiculous touch fouls I've ever seen
and in those cases where he gets run over on charges, or gabbed during rebounds, the refs
let it go because they consider him Overly Aggressive. He has a target on his back when it
comes to SEC Officials.
I think the biggest draw back from Sylva is that Frank had him try to be too much of a leader
this season, and pretty much saddled him with that role in the off season, and it was against
Chris's normal role with the team (still young in terms of playing organized Basketball). A
couple of weeks ago, Frank said he took those reigns off of Chris and told him to (basically)
"Go Play Basketball" and it's starting to come around for him again. Especially on Offense.
Once he gets back into that mentality he had the past two years, I think this team will get
even better behind his play.

Injuries had a lot to do with the early season woes for sure, but I just think that with guys
Like Hassani, Syla and Kotsar having been the strong players for us at times the past couple
of seasons, they should have just stepped up and took over the team earlier the way they
have been doing it the past two weeks. .... Regardless of what Frank and the coaches have
told them to try to do, good players (team leaders) rise to the occasion, and do what ever
it take in crunch time..... The "Big three" just seemed comfortable to watch the younger players
and not really exert themselves into the equation until the past few games.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #686
Sides
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
We need to go 13-5 (19-12 overall) for me to believe that we took a step forward this year. That record gets us squarely on the bubble which was my preseason expectation. I find the previous 2 games very encouraging as the freshmen look to be starting to hit the freshman wall but the veterans are starting to carry the weight now. Hopefully Lawson and Bryant are able to circle the wagons by the midway point of conference play. We will need both of those guys to elevate their play down the stretch if we want to make a run at an NCAA bid.
The only way to make a step forward for you is to go 13-5 in the SEC? That was the record of the conference winners last year. You might as well quit watching now. If we finish top 5 in the SEC we are making the tournament (probably need to beat Ok St too).
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #687
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The only way to make a step forward for you is to go 13-5 in the SEC? That was the record of the conference winners last year. You might as well quit watching now. If we finish top 5 in the SEC we are making the tournament (probably need to beat Ok St too).
We aren't making the tournament at 18-13 (12-6), 17-14 (11-7), 16-15 (10-8).

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #688
Alumni2012
Walk On

Male

Alumni2012 has feathers coming inAlumni2012 has feathers coming inAlumni2012 has feathers coming in

Quote:
I wouldn’t be so sure that we wouldn’t make the tournament at 18-13 (12-6). With the strength of the SEC this year, there is potential to get several quality wins. Our RPI should really start to jump up now. A win or two in the SEC tournament I think would put us in with a final record of 20-14.
Alumni2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #689
KevinSC8
Walk On

Male

KevinSC8 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Bama made it last year with a regular season of 17-14 (8-10), plus 2 good wins in the SEC tourney before bowing out to UK.

They had 2 good non-con wins (OK and URI, both ended up ~50 in KenPom), and 1 relatively bad non-con loss (UCF, 113). 6 of their 10 conference wins came against tourney teams. Also had bad road conference losses to Vandy (91) and Ole Miss (108).

I'm not predicting a run to the tourney or anything right now, but if we go 9-7 or 10-6 the rest of the way in conference and beat OK State, and win a couple in the SECT, it will be tough for them to keep that resume out of the tourney considering the strength of the SEC.
KevinSC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #690
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

18-13 (12-6) and one and done in the SECT = NIT. Win one in the SECT (19-13) and we're on the bubble. Win 2 (20-13) and we're in the NCAAs.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #691
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 6465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

This is classic Carolina. Win two games in a row after a historically bad pre-conference run, and all of the sudden BOOM...NCAA here we come!!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #692
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumni2012 View Post
I wouldn’t be so sure that we wouldn’t make the tournament at 18-13 (12-6). With the strength of the SEC this year, there is potential to get several quality wins. Our RPI should really start to jump up now. A win or two in the SEC tournament I think would put us in with a final record of 20-14.
I agree.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #693
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7900000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
This is classic Carolina. Win two games in a row after a historically bad pre-conference run, and all of the sudden BOOM...NCAA here we come!!

Yep..... mood swings are fast and furious.

Let's hope the wins keep coming so we don't see the opposite swing for awhile.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #694
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
18-13 (12-6) and one and done in the SECT = NIT. Win one in the SECT (19-13) and we're on the bubble. Win 2 (20-13) and we're in the NCAAs.
In any of those scenarios, we'll lose a 14th game......
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #695
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I think we will finish 9-7 in the conference and beat Ok. State for a total of 15 wins. That means we ain't going anywhere unless we win the SECT. The hole is too deep to crawl out of now.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #696
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 102015
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Which isn't actually a huge deal. Vandy got in over us in 2016 with 15 losses due to playing multiple elite teams in their OOC schedule and having such an impressive overall SOS.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #697
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

The team is obviously playing better than they have been playing, so they could improve even more. NCAA tourney is not out of the question all of a sudden. It's a longshot but still a shot.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #698
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Yep..... mood swings are fast and furious.

Let's hope the wins keep coming so we don't see the opposite swing for awhile.
yeah fans need just a little something to make them believe. If that little something isn't there then its all doom gloom unfortunately but there isn't a way around that.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #699
LBC
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
This!
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 AM   #700
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 102015
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
If we get to 18-13 I think we're in. A 12-6 conference record means some marquee wins down the stretch and the committee is famous for rewarding teams that finish strong and who have strong SOS. We'd have both.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote