CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Three and Out
USCharleston2
gotrice?
kingofnerf
Cockhornleghorn
Flameout12
Ace Dilcock
RGHoskins
6pack
Wofford sounds confi (1400)
2017 Puerto Rico Tip (1274)
NBA's 'one-and-done' (382)
Question For Techies (365)
Roger Goodell contra (357)
Using Up Egg Whites (333)
FAVORITE WILL MUSCHA (323)
Navy pilots draw a b (291)
WBB: Any news on BCM (285)
CTE and Fred McNeil (236)
Is Battlefront 2 a form o
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
**USC Women (2-0) vs. Cle
Using Up Egg Whites
Raise For Champ
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
WCBB: South Carolina @ Ma
2018 - Sam Bruce
2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
2018 - Dax Hollifield

Old 03-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #601
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Re: 107.5 is terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockykarma View Post
Something about how Male's are only for sex and that the female bees do all the work and get less honey. Related it to the modern workplace. Of course, he didn't realize that a female bee was in charge of things running that way.
Damn. I thought you were just making up a funny headline.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #602
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have lived in Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte and Atlanta. I had a brief stint in New York but I don't count it. Back in the day, I worked in radio part time (mainly 104.7 but I did some work for other stations under the same umbrella) so I have a little insight.

The problem with radio in Columbia is layered.

The first layer, traditional radio is all but dead. It's an old format and doesn't make much sense in today's culture. Market approved information, culled and formatted. Pretending to be able to talk freely when in the end, do not piss those advertisers off. In sports, if you are the flagship, you have to not only keep the advertisers happy but despite having paid millions of dollars to be the flagship, you also have to make sure you don't piss off the university too much. Anyone who truly believes that the "flagship" station is anything but a propaganda machine, needs to truly take a look at the structure. I know that there is no one standing over the hosts approving their scripts but believe you me, there are systems of control in place. I will give credit where credit is due and say that some in Columbia do try and push the envelope but not the extent where you can fully trust their influence.

The second layer is that what would be required to make traditional radio in Columbia relevant (to Columbia) would piss off listeners. You can already see it with the shows that do venture a little off the beaten path. People complain about the morning show not being "sportsy" enough. The reality is that the sound byte, sound byte, 2:00 minute segment, live read, commercial, commercial, commercial format is archaic. What is popular now is long format, conversational entertainment. The hosts talk about anything and everything as well as the primary topic. Right or wrong, it is what it is. I prefer long format because (just like political shows), short format is constantly ending subjects before they can be explored properly. Think about political shows on CNN. Three people, in split screen, yelling talking points at each other for 30 seconds and then: "Moving on from this racism debate. A man in Wichita has been raising bees for women's rights." Nothing is resolved. Nothing is discussed. It's confirmation bias programming designed to drive ad revenue. Note: This forum itself could use a bit of a break from confirmation bias.

And the third issue is that Columbia is like, what... the 89th media market in the Country? It might as well be non-existent in the big picture. Each market has hundreds of shows. So, after the other 88 markets get their picks, we are stuck with the 89th best group of hosts in the country. Other than local guys that just want to be on the radio here. The ones that are half way decent do not stay. Guys like Benji. Guys that wish they could be comedians, who are not funny but are safe enough to air in an incredibly conservative market. So, you end up with shitty programming, being pushed by shitty programmers and voiced by shitty hosts. Who then in turn have to deal with shitty callers. Seriously. How often do you hear these same people call in all day long saying the exact same shit they said earlier in the day.

Switch to podcasting or (even though it too is getting outdated) satellite radio. I mean really, who goes to local radio to get news? Everything they talk about is usually on the net hours before. You go to "hear" the guys you like. You go to get their opinions. What can you really tell about someone from such brief interactions?

I dislike 107.5 as well. Mostly because if you have a negative opinion, you are shouted down. Wait... that seems familiar...
The thing is I actually like Jay Philips and think he is a good guy and is capable of doing good radio. It is just that he needs the right partner that is not afraid to counter his opinion and to settle him down. Duce was the absolutely perfect yin to Jay's yang. When they were together that was some really good radio. After he left Michael to some extent did this as well and it was still pretty good radio. When Tim was doing the show with him it was "alright" but not that great and don't get me wrong I like Tommy he is a great person and does a fantastic job with baseball but he is a terrible co-host for Jay. He is really nothing more than a glorified yes man to everything Jay says. He is so knowledgeable and that is fantastic when you are calling a baseball game but I don't want to hear 15 random sports fact every single day on a afternoon radio show. I think Tommy would probably be a great third host for that show but Jay really needs someone else in there that is not afraid to speak up and settle him down and offer a differing opinion. So yes while I am critical of Jay Philips I do appreciate him and think he is a good person and is capable of doing really good radio but just not in the current format.
FlorenceCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #603
cockykarma
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
I think some of you complain just to complain!
I've never understood it when people to say this. The act of complaining is indeed complaining. You complain to air a grievance. Airing the grievance could be an end to itself.

Now, you could say that some people complain but they don't really have an issue with what they are complaining about. Then, I would have to point out that isn't really complaining. That is trolling.

You could say that some complain but have no investment in whether or not the complaining results in something. But, the complainer has no control over whether his complaining leads to a result so that is impossible to determine. So, through no fault of his or her own, they could be complaining just to complain. That isn't an indictment of their motivation.

If you are saying that some people complain for the sake of complaining, then yeah. Why else would you complain? It's not cooking. You cook to eat. Some people cook because they enjoy cooking but ultimately, the end result is food. Complaining has no predetermined end result.

What I think you really mean to say is that you disagree and see no issue with it and don't understand other people's issue. You don't see it as a "valid" complaint. You should own that thought instead of passive aggressively trying to make the problem less about your understanding of someone else's complaint and your disagreement with said complaint, than it is about the other person's desire or motivation to complain. In the end, it's not up to you if someone else's complaint is valid.

So, your statement is accurate. Some people do complain just to complain. I just think you meant it as indictment instead of a statement of what complaining is. I could be wrong.

Last edited by cockykarma; 03-22-2017 at 12:50 PM..
cockykarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #604
cockykarma
Banned

Male

cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
Damn. I thought you were just making up a funny headline.
I was. And then a completely fabricated story to follow it up. I took your original post as a challenge.
cockykarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #605
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
I was. And then a completely fabricated story to follow it up. I took your original post as a challenge.
Bravo!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #606
Paulsitive
Walk On

Male

Paulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his combPaulsitive is developing his comb

Someone needs to create a drinking game for every time Jay Philips says "to that end". I think he's hit 4 on this Holbrook interview alone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Paulsitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #607
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Anyone else hear Tommy say Chad was a "great coach". I had a good laugh after that statement.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #608
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsitive View Post
Someone needs to create a drinking game for every time Jay Philips says "to that end". I think he's hit 4 on this Holbrook interview alone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Or "take them to task"
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #609
spurrierismyhomeboy
Two Deep

CockyCash: 6541
spurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Anyone else hear Tommy say Chad was a "great coach". I had a good laugh after that statement.
My jaw literally dropped when he said that. There is no way he believes that. He watches every game, he has to know better than that!

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #610
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 5415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Good to hear them capitulate and admit that it's time for Chad to be gone. Their defense of this garbage reminds me of the crap they spew in tiger town.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #611
Dizzy01
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 9000
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
My jaw literally dropped when he said that. There is no way he believes that. He watches every game, he has to know better than that!
Did he say "great head coach" or just "great coach" as those are two different things?
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #612
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 201338
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Chad is very corpulent.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #613
spurrierismyhomeboy
Two Deep

CockyCash: 6541
spurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot materialspurrierismyhomeboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Did he say "great head coach" or just "great coach" as those are two different things?
I think he said "great coach"? Anyway, Tommy has to know how that will be interpreted. It makes him look like a company man with no backbone.

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #614
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Jay is going to tow the party line until the very end. This is the guy that was defending Darrin Horn up until a hour before he was fired. They are the official station so they will never ever say what needs to be said and will always defend coaches until the very end and then after the fact say stuff like "look y'all we all knew he needed to be fired".
FlorenceCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #615
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

You will never hear harsh criticism of anything Gamecock on this station. They're employment is dependent on sunshine pumping. And Brent Johnson and Jay Philips are the worst. How two, easy listening FM radio jocks got in to sports radio is beyond me.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #616
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Heath's show is the only one worth listening to.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #617
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
This.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #618
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
You will never hear harsh criticism of anything Gamecock on this station. They're employment is dependent on sunshine pumping. And Brent Johnson and Jay Philips are the worst. How two, easy listening FM radio jocks got in to sports radio is beyond me.
Agreed.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #619
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Disagree. I don't necessarily dislike Heath and I often agree with him. But, there is something about his cadence, tone and overall demeanor irritates me. I think I would prefer it if he didn't take as many calls. He takes the confident monkey approach to his callers and the callers make it too easy for him.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #620
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

So far today, Jay has been talking about someone who let a snake loose in the congaree park and how he's very upset about it, for about 20-30 minutes now. Riveting sports talk, as always.