CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
2000grad
TastyLicks
GuyInTheGreenHouse
6pack
Spur's Addiction
spareparts
Season parking selec (68)
2 footbal tix for sa (35)
2017 Signee - Keisean Nix
Official Baseball Coachin
Kiffen Strikes Again
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Football Ops Center updat
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Men's team next season
SEC Football Coaches Appr
Season parking selection
official UFC thread. (new

Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #41
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Muschamp buys a shack

Lol I wish a 3/1 house was only $175 where I live.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #42
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot0705 View Post
From my understanding the test bombs had small explosive charges in them so they could see what they were hitting but didn't have the actual explosives like the live bombs that were dropped or the island wouldn't exist anymore. If I recall correctly it was basically the blasting caps that would set off the bombs with none of the actual live ordinance in them.
They did drop a few with partial charges, probably a little heavier than that from the look of the video. They also did drop some incendiary bombs as well, they supposedly recovered over 2000 duds and sand filled bombs in a clean up in the 50's. I have a friend that has a scrapbook with a lot of photos his grandfather and father took as well as articles. I didn't want to bring that up on the internet because of course I don't have a link. He also has an article on an errant run where they dropped on the Saluda Traffic Circle. The ones they dropped there were filled with white powder but had a charge to spread the powder so it could be spotted from the air. I have told him he should turn it into a book, but he is an older gent and he says then I wouldn't have the only one.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #43
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
First, you can't go on it when the birds are there because it's a protected habitat. Second in peak years there would be as many as a million birds roosting on a 12 acre island. It is literally covered with crap when they leave. At its height the birds would black out the sky when they were coming back at night or leaving in the morning.
They could actually be seen on doppler there were so many. Last year there was a pretty good resurgence but not back to what it was.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #44
CockCopter
Professor

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudlyCockCopter is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I just don't get the property value of that area
Do you have kids and work downtown? You would understand in that case. The only decent public schools near most of the job sites are in those districts. Not everyone can afford or wants a private school education. Plus, the instruction at Hammond and Heathwood isn't better than what you get at a good public school.
CockCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #45
sully1
4-Star

Male

sully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talons

I understand why Muschamp bought a house on Lake Murray. Makes more sense than buying one in Blythewood like SOS and family did and the commute is pretty much the same.

Muschamp's house on the lake is nice and as someone commented on here earlier his guest house is nicer than most people's houses in this thread that have commented.

Lake Murray is definitely the gem of the Columbia area. Its not like some of the other lakes in SC that are affected by rainfall (Hartwell, Clark's Hill for example). Pretty much full pool or close to full pool all the time.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #46
Rooster2007
2 deep

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Rooster2007 has feathers coming inRooster2007 has feathers coming inRooster2007 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
There are 3/1s in 29605 (Greenville/Augusta Rd) going for multiples of $175k. I'm sure Charleston can say the same, and more.
That house down here would be at least $275-$300K. You can barely buy a condo here for $175K.
Rooster2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #47
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 3754220
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
They did drop a few with partial charges, probably a little heavier than that from the look of the video. They also did drop some incendiary bombs as well, they supposedly recovered over 2000 duds and sand filled bombs in a clean up in the 50's. I have a friend that has a scrapbook with a lot of photos his grandfather and father took as well as articles. I didn't want to bring that up on the internet because of course I don't have a link. He also has an article on an errant run where they dropped on the Saluda Traffic Circle. The ones they dropped there were filled with white powder but had a charge to spread the powder so it could be spotted from the air. I have told him he should turn it into a book, but he is an older gent and he says then I wouldn't have the only one.
That's pretty neat. I knew about the Traffic Circle incident from my Grandfather telling me about it. He actually bought me a book on the columbia air field which was pretty neat. A short book and quick read but lots of good info in it. I recently got a book on the entire history of Lake Murray that's more of a coffee table book...they still have some at the book store down in west columbia going towards town for pretty cheap. It is a collection of articles and essays from different points of view...I'm only at the beginning stages of it but so far so good.

I know when the lake went way down my Grandfather bought a little tracker fishing boat and took it around to go look at the gravesites, buildings, etc that were exposed. They found an old black smith's well and site which was pretty neat. He did some research for one of the books about Murray with the author but not sure which one.

They have also made the run all the way up to the Greenwood Dam quite a few years back. A whole group of them went up there and camped out half way then took a aluminum center console with a jet outboard on it to the warning signs for discharge...had to cut trees and and carry the boat a few times but they made it. Did it another time on Jet Skis I think and it was a little easier trip from what I was told.

Most people don't know it was almost two lakes with a dam at shull island to bear creek, and another where the current dam is but they figured out the single dam would produce a lot more power. Also most don't know that the guy behind it all had this lake named after Murray the engineer because he was more proud of the Santee project and wanted it named after him, but that never happened.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #48
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I ain't down with a 3/1 for 175k...not in SC without lake front property or the ocean lapping up the shore 50 ft from me
I agree: you could sorta think of the ocean or lake as a 2nd bath, but if it's not in the package, then that's lame.....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #49
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
NJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPit

Quote:
It was only because he is a coach, regular price on that house is 15 million. Stay there and tell all your friends to stay away from Lake Murray, SC. It is full of gators, moccasins and brain eating amoebas. 3 people were eaten by a 16 foot bull shark at Pine Island Tuesday. And those Purple Martins they talk about are actually giant mosquitoes.
Seriously doubt a 9,000 sq foot house is worth 15M anywhere in south carolina. Except maybe HHI or Kiawah
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #50
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockCopter View Post
Do you have kids and work downtown? You would understand in that case. The only decent public schools near most of the job sites are in those districts. Not everyone can afford or wants a private school education. Plus, the instruction at Hammond and Heathwood isn't better than what you get at a good public school.
Yes and no to your questions.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #51
JDStud6
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 515
JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster2007 View Post
That house down here would be at least $275-$300K. You can barely buy a condo here for $175K.
I've been looking for another house, but everything is going up and selling so fast I'll wait for the next slump I think.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #52
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
Seriously doubt a 9,000 sq foot house is worth 15M anywhere in south carolina. Except maybe HHI or Kiawah
25 Million for a house there. The real reason they closed the bases on the SC coast was the mosquitoes were eating planes. They just killed an 200lb Mosquito in the ACE Basin. The Jersey Shore is much better than SC beaches. Please share this with all your Jersey friends. If you get over to Ohio let them know as well.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #53
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
That's pretty neat. I knew about the Traffic Circle incident from my Grandfather telling me about it. He actually bought me a book on the columbia air field which was pretty neat. A short book and quick read but lots of good info in it. I recently got a book on the entire history of Lake Murray that's more of a coffee table book...they still have some at the book store down in west columbia going towards town for pretty cheap. It is a collection of articles and essays from different points of view...I'm only at the beginning stages of it but so far so good.

I know when the lake went way down my Grandfather bought a little tracker fishing boat and took it around to go look at the gravesites, buildings, etc that were exposed. They found an old black smith's well and site which was pretty neat. He did some research for one of the books about Murray with the author but not sure which one.

They have also made the run all the way up to the Greenwood Dam quite a few years back. A whole group of them went up there and camped out half way then took a aluminum center console with a jet outboard on it to the warning signs for discharge...had to cut trees and and carry the boat a few times but they made it. Did it another time on Jet Skis I think and it was a little easier trip from what I was told.

Most people don't know it was almost two lakes with a dam at shull island to bear creek, and another where the current dam is but they figured out the single dam would produce a lot more power. Also most don't know that the guy behind it all had this lake named after Murray the engineer because he was more proud of the Santee project and wanted it named after him, but that never happened.
I bet that was a fun trip. I never heard that last part about the naming of Murray versus Santee.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #54
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Because this thread has pretty much run it's course.... .

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #55
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
...Blythewood like SOS....
They lived in Woodcreek Farms/Pontiac and had that condo near W-B stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster2007 View Post
Depends on which part of the metro, but unless you have a solid reason to live in CHS, it ain't worth it. Traffic is just stupid in many areas.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #56
FullyCocked
Walk On

Male

FullyCocked is learning to peck

I would be pissed at the local paper if they posted an article about my second house and where it was located......oh........say what?........He's already pissed at the local paper?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #57
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
NJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPitNJGCfan rules the CockPit

Quote:
25 Million for a house there. The real reason they closed the bases on the SC coast was the mosquitoes were eating planes. They just killed an 200lb Mosquito in the ACE Basin. The Jersey Shore is much better than SC beaches. Please share this with all your Jersey friends. If you get over to Ohio let them know as well.
I'd agree but sorry to break it to you I already have a beach house in SC and I know a couple people from NJ with houses in SC its a pretty popular place to live part time
Old 05-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #58
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'd agree but sorry to break it to you I already have a beach house in SC and I know a couple people from NJ with houses in SC its a pretty popular place to live part time
What is Snooky really like?
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #59
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Just because it is an uphill battle doesn't mean I should stop fighting.