CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
CoastCocky
Take-a-Knee
SwampFox
GuyInTheGreenHouse
SanAntonioCock
GoldenSpur7
Gamecocks1137
MountainCock
2017 SEC Tournament: (6382)
Alan Knott (1055)
Why the NCAA isn't g (387)
Music Thead: Day 12 (342)
Tampa murders, possi (307)
Baseball: Vanderbilt (191)
Sir Roger Moore, Jam (180)
At last the Demon is (164)
calling all lawn exp (95)
Massive Pacific Coas (67)
WBB Non-Conference Schedu
VB class ranked #26 by Pr
WBB Asst. Coach Rumors
2017 Roster
Alan Knott
2018 - Lavonte Valentine
Lindy's and Athlon's are
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
Lavar Ball calls out Kyri
2018 - Trajan Jeffcoat

Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 550
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
There are more 3 stars drafted because there are substantially more 3 stars.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnat...chool-football

There are really good 3 star guys but there are so many more of them than even 4s and 5s that most teams will have to fill classes with them and more will end up drafted just due to numbers. If you look at the Pro Bowl numbers it was fillled with more 4 and 5 stars than 3 stars so when they make the next level that again shows greater success by the percentages.

The key is the coaches that can help develop the 3 star guys. Some guys can and some can't so if you're one of the teams that has to build on these guys you better have superstar coaches.
I was not trying to re-kindle the star debate - just pointing out that there are 3* and even 2* that turn out to be really good players (we had a 2* in the Pro Bowl last year). The trick is to find them.

I believe that our in-state players are undervalued, based on the star ratings for neighboring states like GA and FLA, even NC. I know those states are bigger, but the number of 3* and 4* players are disproportionate to the populations and NFL players produced by the states.

So you are more likely to find 3* players that might be 4*, and 4* that might be 5*, in SC. I have already expounded on the likes of Alshon Jeffery, Mike Williams, DeAndre Hopkins and Martavis Bryant, all 4* WRs from in-state that should have been 5* based on performance in college and the pros. Rico Dowdle was a 3* that put up numbers that you would associate with a 4* or 5* recruit, just was in a backwater (Western NC) for recruiting. The larger areas in NC (Charlotte, Research Triangle) get lots of attention, but not so much when you get into the mountains.

Get a few 3* guys that should be 4* and a few 4* that should be 5*, and you will have a class that outperforms their class ranking.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

How many *'s did Pharaoh Cooper have?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
PalmettoCockZ71
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
PalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
PalmettoCockZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Or Bruce Ellington
Or Connor Shaw
Or KO Simpson
Or Ryan Brewer
Or......stars are ok for getting an idea about a player but if you aren't a legit 5* coming out of high school, than it's all pretty much a crap-shoot.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

We / fans can debate class rankings and individual player's "star" ratings until the end
of time and still have wide and varying opinions all over the place. ALL THAT I CARE
ABOUT is what the coaches think of a kid they offer and eventually sign, and how well
that kid (3*, 4*, 5* ...) catches on with the schemes and plays we run as a
Gamecock. Coach Muschamp might not have an overly impressive resume as a HC
(I've stated my opinion on that a few times and stick to that opinion), but he has a
hell of a resume following him for recruiting, Recruiting the players that fit his style
and for developing those players within the system ... Especially on the defensive
side of the line.

Not sure if I've put it out here on the board (I know I've mentioned it to the other
mods), but as much as I still liked Coach Spurrier for where he took this program,
there were some things pointed out to me right after signing day that raised my
eyebrows about how this program approached recruiting under the former administration
vs how it's being run now. One of the most revealing of those points that I was
made aware of was something that took place every afternoon during the coaches
presser following signing day. A local news reporter made a statement that he did
not present as a knock on the former coach and staff, but it sure as hell got my
attention as to the degree of detail and emphasis put out in regards to recruiting
with the present staff. .... This reporter was making a point of the way Coach
Spurrier handled the questions about the class and individual players and how it
always seemed "dull and scripted" and compared it to the two we've had now with
Coach Boom. He used an example that made me realize we have a Recruiting
MACHINE now compared to a Recruiting Horse drawn buggy. This reporter said that
he had attended several of SOS's post signing interviews and noted that he always
came to them with the Recruiting Coordinator and a clipboard. When reporters would
ask him a question, he often would refer to his notes, or turn the interview over to
the Recruiting Co, to answer....... He said in both the Pressers held by Coach Champ,
he came into the room alone, with no notes, and answered every question about
every player asked about with no delays or "scripted" type of responses. ... That
to me tells me we are dealing with a Damn Good Recruiter vs a guy going through
the motions and allowing his assistants to handle all the grunt work with the
players.
When a coach like Champ tells you "HONESTLY, I don't look at stars or ratings, but
we make up a board with NEEDS, and players we think can fill those needs and then
start going through the list and offering kids until those needs are met, and we
are satisfied regardless of class ranking that we have upgraded positions where they
are needed the most" ....... I'm satisfied that THAT is the case. I'm satisfied that
he has the staff that will get the most out of the talent we have brought in.

Coach Champ is very impressed with Jaylin, and I'm convinced that a man of
Coach Champ's historical success with developing players at a high level will show
dividends here shortly. When HE says we have a gem in Jaylin Dickerson, I'm
convinced we have a gem in Jaylin Dickerson. What little I saw of JD in the spring
game only assure's me Coach Boom's impressions with this guy are SPOT ON.

Last edited by Spurticus; 05-08-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #26
seamus
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1900000
seamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot material

If Champ says it and Spurt sees it in action, I believe it is true.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #27
Senior Rooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 360
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
DITTO!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
DITTO!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate the support guys. ... but let me add something here:

Just like all the practices and the Spring game, I can tell you that a player looked
like an All American under those circumstances, but when they line up against another
team, that player's reactions and ability might not look as spectacular. ... All I can
do is say "compared to other players in their positions that day, or in the past few
practices or Spring Games, they looked very good"!

I have a feeling that Jaylin is going to be as good against most of the competition
he faces this season, BUT ..........let's remember. He has only proven his talent so
far against his own team, and most of all, he's a True Freshman still working on
fitting in at the next level.

I feel good about getting him, and I really do think he'll develop into an exceptional
safety for the Gamecocks ..... but it hasn't been proven against REAL competition
just yet.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Appreciate the support guys. ... but let me add something here:

Just like all the practices and the Spring game, I can tell you that a player looked
like an All American under those circumstances, but when they line up against another
team, that player's reactions and ability might not look as spectacular. ... All I can
do is say "compared to other players in their positions that day, or in the past few
practices or Spring Games, they looked very good"!

I have a feeling that Jaylin is going to be as good against most of the competition
he faces this season, BUT ..........let's remember. He has only proven his talent so
far against his own team, and most of all, he's a True Freshman still working on
fitting in at the next level.

I feel good about getting him, and I really do think he'll develop into an exceptional
safety for the Gamecocks ..... but it hasn't been proven against REAL competition
just yet.

I hope most people would not expect a true freshman to come in and act like a lock-down NFL ready CB from day 1, but it is encouraging to know that he has the potential to get there in a few years time!
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #30
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I hope most people would not expect a true freshman to come in and act like a lock-down NFL ready CB from day 1, but it is encouraging to know that he has the potential to get there in a few years time!
Lots of players are thrown into the fire as True Freshmen for one reason
or another. Mostly because of "the need". Some are given the starting job
simply because they proved to the coaches they were better than the rest of
the guys on the roster for that spot. .... With Jaylin, I feel like he'll start due
to NEED.

We've seen our share of eventually great players here at USC start as True
Freshmen, but the coaches had to be patient with them through their learning
process, because they will make mistakes. ...... Just referring to players in
the secondary, Stephon Gilmore, Ko Simpson both started as TFs, and they
made some mistakes that first season, but they brought a lot more good
plays and excitement with them than they did mistakes, and eventually
turned into All Americans. ... The most recent defensive player that fits that mold was
Skai Moore. My gut tells me that Jaylin is going to follow the footsteps of
those guys.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Two things to remember. One, Boom is pretty straight and does not sugarcoat things, nor does he talk because he likes to run his mouth.The latter statement was not directed at anyone in particular - unless, of course, in brings to mind someone in state that fits that description perfectly. Second, there is no one else in the country better suited to evaluate a player at that position.

And then if Spurt chimes in also - well, there you go. I don't think that things are as dire as others think - DJ Smith led the team in tackles even if he was not great at coverage, Nixon will be a Safety and has good potential, Montac was serviceable, same for Wilder, and we could always shift someone like Lammons if we have to - and since we are not shifting anyone, that is a sign that the staff likes what we have. And Dickerson would seem to be a big part of that.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #32
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
We've seen our share of eventually great players here at USC start as True Freshmen, but the coaches had to be patient with them through their learning process, because they will make mistakes. ...... Just referring to players in the secondary, Stephon Gilmore, Ko Simpson both started as TFs...
Captain Munnerlyn (2*) and Emanuel Cook (3*) as well. They were good players for us...and people tend to forget E Cook was a headhunter before AA and DJ Swag played for us.
But those 2 didn't sign early and took mid-season before they showed out. Jaylin could come out the gate firing like Stephon did.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 200
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Jaylin Dickerson, S, South Carolina Will Muschamp and his staff have raved about Dickerson this spring but they didn't need to point him out during the spring game. He made sure that he was conspicuous with his play. The kid is a big-time hitter that shows plus instincts at the safety position and was consistently around the football during the spring game. Muschamp and his staff have already said that Dickerson will see the field in the fall. 247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 773, No. 57 safety.
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...-ball-52701255
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Captain Munnerlyn (2*) and Emanuel Cook (3*) as well. They were good players for us...and people tend to forget E Cook was a headhunter before AA and DJ Swag played for us.
But those 2 didn't sign early and took mid-season before they showed out. Jaylin could come out the gate firing like Stephon did.
We went into Alabama and picked up Captain, My Captain and Darian Stewart in the same class - Stewart was a 3*. Based on performance here and in the pros, they were high 4* or maybe even 5*.

We have done okay in Alabama over the years (don't forget Jonathan Walton and Taylor Stallworth as more recent examples). Alabama recruits nationally and Auburn gets a lot of their talent from the ATL, so there are plenty of guys in that Alabama second tier that are really good and can't go in-state.

One recent bust is Jalen Henry/Dread. But even he was a big hitter (sorry).
Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #35
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Based on performance here and in the pros, they were high 4* or maybe even 5*.
Darian and Devin Taylor were guys that needed to grow into their roles. This is regularly overlooked when assessing * ratings.

It's not just about how many highly rated guys a school signs, but also how many lower rated players they developed into good players at the SEC level.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote