CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spur's Addiction
MountainCock
Canefaninsc
Blitzkrieg
thekob
TastyLicks
kick_ball
carolina_corpsman
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Scott Frost will coa (884)
VERY interesting. E (833)
Bowl Practice (637)
tv refresh rate for (290)
VERY interesting. ESPN p
2018 - KJ Henry
Scott Frost will coach UC
2018 - Channing Tindall
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex
tv refresh rate for 4k fl
Destiny 2
107.5 is terrible
Pressure Cooker tips


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count
 
kick_ball's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Dagobah System
Posts: 9,091
CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Which is, one reason, why I have always thought NC State should be one of the schools the SEC should go after if we were to ever expand. In fact, I think they are a better fit than Mizzou.

But that is a totally different conversation.
Yes I've always said add them and va tech and move mizzou to the west
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #22
Nureye
White helmets rule
 
Nureye's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,135
CockyCash: 5415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
Yes I've always said add them and va tech and move mizzou to the west
That's an ideal scenario. Especially if we dropped ATM and picked Miss State back up as the west opponent.
__________________
I'm only here for the reputation points.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count
 
kick_ball's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Dagobah System
Posts: 9,091
CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
That's an ideal scenario. Especially if we dropped ATM and picked Miss State as the west opponent.
But agreed it's always interesting to see the outside view of South Carolina especially from other schools fans bases
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #24
Nureye
White helmets rule
 
Nureye's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,135
CockyCash: 5415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
But agreed it's always interesting to see the outside view of South Carolina especially from other schools fans bases
I think we are like NC State, Minnesota, Iowa State, Cal, when compared to the other power 5 leagues.
__________________
I'm only here for the reputation points.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #25
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate
 
LegalCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 15,964
CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

You guys recall he left NCSU as baseball coach (after like 9 years as their head guy) to come here right? It doesn't seem that some of you do.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #26
CapitolCock
Game MVP
 
CapitolCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Gamecock Nation
Posts: 1,898
CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I hate to be that guy...but...were you aware that NC State is actually ranked higher than we are in the latest Directors Cup standings?

Meaning their overall athletics program is actually considered better than ours is...and they just...arguably...upgraded their basketball coach.

They are ranked 11th and we are 14th:

1. Stanford
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. UNC
7. USC
8. Kentucky
9. Oregon
10. UCLA
11. NC STATE
12. Texas
13. Notre Dame
14. South Carolina

I'm also not sure when the last time any of you were actually on the NC State Campus but I can assure you that it is BIG TIME. The nicest/largest campus I've been on...seriously. The new engineering/centennial campus is absolutely phenomenal. USC has nothing even close. Their student center/bookstore...their Russel House...blows ours out of the water. Again...it isn't even close.

My son just took the tour this last spring break...he is sold. His number 2 is South Carolina.

Believe me...I am Gamecock born and raised. Born in Columbia, went to USC, met my wife there, own a parking spot, donors, etc. but bagging on NC State has simply got to be based in ignorance. Its impressive. If you don't know you don't know but NC State is a big time job.
Honestly, who cares about the Directors Cup? I'm much more inclined to base this on total revenues. I think that would put Texas A&M at the top of the list.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #27
uscalum92
Recruit
 
uscalum92's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florence
Posts: 224
CockyCash: 500
uscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudlyuscalum92 is crowing loudly
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
The only thing I would worry about is the ole saying.....When Mama calls ......
Ray is an NCSU alum. That said, I don't believe he'll go, but ...
uscalum92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #28
LBC
1st Team All-American
 
LBC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OBX
Posts: 13,425
CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Honestly, who cares about the Directors Cup? I'm much more inclined to base this on total revenues. I think that would put Texas A&M at the top of the list.
People and programs concerned with collegiate athletic departments and the AD's...the topic of this thread...who run them...'them' being the most successful college athletic programs in the nation...maybe?
LBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #29
Nureye
White helmets rule
 
Nureye's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,135
CockyCash: 5415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
People and programs concerned with collegiate athletic departments and the AD's...the topic of this thread...who run them...'them' being the most successful college athletic programs in the nation...maybe?
TBF the Director's Cup is a bit of a skewed statistic. Schools get points for sports like water polo, and hockey. It's a decent indicator of athletic success, but how many people really care that much if women's soccer makes the sweet 16?

Sure, I'd like to win it one day, but it's not at the front of my mind.
__________________
I'm only here for the reputation points.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #30
Gamecocks0197
Starter
 
Gamecocks0197's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cola
Posts: 1,287
CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I hate to be that guy...but...were you aware that NC State is actually ranked higher than we are in the latest Directors Cup standings?

Meaning their overall athletics program is actually considered better than ours is...and they just...arguably...upgraded their basketball coach.

They are ranked 11th and we are 14th:

1. Stanford
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. UNC
7. USC
8. Kentucky
9. Oregon
10. UCLA
11. NC STATE
12. Texas
13. Notre Dame
14. South Carolina

I'm also not sure when the last time any of you were actually on the NC State Campus but I can assure you that it is BIG TIME. The nicest/largest campus I've been on...seriously. The new engineering/centennial campus is absolutely phenomenal. USC has nothing even close. Their student center/bookstore...their Russel House...blows ours out of the water. Again...it isn't even close.

My son just took the tour this last spring break...he is sold. His number 2 is South Carolina.

Believe me...I am Gamecock born and raised. Born in Columbia, went to USC, met my wife there, own a parking spot, donors, etc. but bagging on NC State has simply got to be based in ignorance. Its impressive. If you don't know you don't know but NC State is a big time job.
I'm sure it is a fantastic school, but you are the red headed step child to Duke and UNC (literally).
__________________
University of South Carolina '19
Gamecocks0197 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #31
GSC2013
Game MVP
 
GSC2013's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,837
CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
Yes I've always said add them and va tech and move mizzou to the west
Va Tech would fit so well. Their environment and football vibe is soooo SEC.

IF I was in charge of it all....Id make 6 offers:
Oklahoma
Texas
Virginia Tech
NC State
Oklahoma State
Kansas (hear me out on why....)

And Id say the SEC is going to 16. 8/8 w 9 SEC games.

First 2 out of the 6 to accept get in. You've got til Monday.

If all 6 accept...then we get to make a great choice of which 2.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #32
garnetmike
Bowl MVP
 
garnetmike's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Banner Elk, NC
Posts: 2,161
CockyCash: 10200
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
I'm sure it is a fantastic school, but you are the red headed step child to Duke and UNC (literally).
First check my "credentials" before anyone calls me a tater, because I am a USC Alum, my youngest daughter will attend USC in a year and a half and I have not missed but a few home football games in 26 years and JUST donated more of my money to USC last night when solicited. My business is located in North Carolina and the USC staff comes up and visits my office occasionally (looking for more money - I'm not vain enough to think they like me that much!)

Saying all of that - there are MANY people who would tell you that we (USC) are the red-headed stepchild to Clemtech in our own state these days. Other than a sweet spot of five consecutive years of kicking their arses...they have owned us. Regardless of how and the fact that they play in a subpar league (that IS making headway on the SEC), Clemson is a far more respected program athletically that USC.

As far as comparing USC and NC STATE campuses and facilities I won't go there except to say that I DO love the money that is going into our USC campus. The Darla Moore School of Biz is ranked number one nationally - as is our Honors College and more.

Fan base...I'll take ours any day. Campus quality...man it's a toss up. NC State is pretty sweet. I hate NC State and my youngest daughter won't consider going there and in-state tuition would be AWESOME compared to the $46K a year that USC will cost me for my youngest to attend.

As far as programs go AND the fact that NC State is Tanner's alma mater...I could see him going to NC State. I question whether or not NC State would buy out Tanner's contract. As far as "battling for Tanner" I like the guy but I agree that anyone could run that program right now as long as they have some business acumen and they have a tireless battery that won't quit.

The money coming from the SEC and ACC and television rights makes the AD job more of a CEO/COO job than anything else. I like Tanner, but money talks and USC could replace Tanner tomorrow with any number of high quality people who could easily keep the momentum going.

I am personally liking Muschamp and think that hire was a very good one - but Tanner and company are all full of crap if they think any of us buys that Muschamp was his only and first choice. Tanner actually screwed up in our dealings with hiring a football coach and we could have gotten any number of high profile coaches Fuentes, Herman, etc. He played tight with the money and it cost him as other universities moved quicker and better.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while and the Muschamp hire will probably turn into the best fit for us long haul. I like the direction our program is moving in. However, it would not be a huge loss to see Tanner move on - not that I think he would.

I think Tanner stays put but their could be $$$$millions of reasons to go back to his school and I for one would not be surprised OR blame him.

Go Cocks... win anyway...in all sports.
__________________
.
.
Flying the Gamecock Flag from the mountains of North Carolina!
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #33
PalmettoCockZ71
4-Star
 
PalmettoCockZ71's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SC
Posts: 452
CockyCash: 500
PalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudly
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Va Tech would fit so well. Their environment and football vibe is soooo SEC.

IF I was in charge of it all....Id make 6 offers:
Oklahoma
Texas
Virginia Tech
NC State
Oklahoma State
Kansas (hear me out on why....)

And Id say the SEC is going to 16. 8/8 w 9 SEC games.

First 2 out of the 6 to accept get in. You've got til Monday.

If all 6 accept...then we get to make a great choice of which 2.
Virginia tech joining would suck because recruiting against them would become very challenging
PalmettoCockZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #34
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count
 
kick_ball's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Dagobah System
Posts: 9,091
CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
I'm sure it is a fantastic school, but you are the red headed step child to Duke and UNC (literally).
Fwiw in NC state fans and staff would move past the mindset they want to be in the blue club they would be far more successful.. they worry about Unc to much in everything and while easier said then done could really move out of the shadow if they stopped focusing on it
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #35
thekob
Heisman Winner
 
thekob's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington
Posts: 21,370
CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I hate to be that guy...but...were you aware that NC State is actually ranked higher than we are in the latest Directors Cup standings?

Meaning their overall athletics program is actually considered better than ours is...and they just...arguably...upgraded their basketball coach.

They are ranked 11th and we are 14th:

1. Stanford
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. UNC
7. USC
8. Kentucky
9. Oregon
10. UCLA
11. NC STATE
12. Texas
13. Notre Dame
14. South Carolina

I'm also not sure when the last time any of you were actually on the NC State Campus but I can assure you that it is BIG TIME. The nicest/largest campus I've been on...seriously. The new engineering/centennial campus is absolutely phenomenal. USC has nothing even close. Their student center/bookstore...their Russel House...blows ours out of the water. Again...it isn't even close.

My son just took the tour this last spring break...he is sold. His number 2 is South Carolina.

Believe me...I am Gamecock born and raised. Born in Columbia, went to USC, met my wife there, own a parking spot, donors, etc. but bagging on NC State has simply got to be based in ignorance. Its impressive. If you don't know you don't know but NC State is a big time job.
Your son is no #TrueFan™
__________________
GOD
USA
SEC
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #36
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate
 
LegalCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 15,964
CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Eric Hyman is available, just saying he hired Dawn and Frank.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #37
cocky0
The Slurp
 
cocky0's Avatar
 
Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hampton, SC
Posts: 8,302
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Which is, one reason, why I have always thought NC State should be one of the schools the SEC should go after if we were to ever expand. In fact, I think they are a better fit than Mizzou.

But that is a totally different conversation.
Yeah I agree. And the Mizzou add still puzzles me.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
cocky0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #38
GamecockSuperFan
Banned
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5,590
CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Wasn't he the baseball coach there and wanted to become AD but they snubbed him from getting the job so he left and went to USC where he had a chance of maybe becoming the AD? If that's the case I don't see him goingbsvk
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #39
CapitolCock
Game MVP
 
CapitolCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Gamecock Nation
Posts: 1,898
CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
People and programs concerned with collegiate athletic departments and the AD's...the topic of this thread...who run them...'them' being the most successful college athletic programs in the nation...maybe?
That's a difference between who is doing the best job and which university is the best job. Do you really think NC State is a better job to be an AD? If you say yes, then there's really nothing anybody can say.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #40
LBC
1st Team All-American
 
LBC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OBX
Posts: 13,425
CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
First check my "credentials" before anyone calls me a tater, because I am a USC Alum, my youngest daughter will attend USC in a year and a half and I have not missed but a few home football games in 26 years and JUST donated more of my money to USC last night when solicited. My business is located in North Carolina and the USC staff comes up and visits my office occasionally (looking for more money - I'm not vain enough to think they like me that much!)

Saying all of that - there are MANY people who would tell you that we (USC) are the red-headed stepchild to Clemtech in our own state these days. Other than a sweet spot of five consecutive years of kicking their arses...they have owned us. Regardless of how and the fact that they play in a subpar league (that IS making headway on the SEC), Clemson is a far more respected program athletically that USC.

As far as comparing USC and NC STATE campuses and facilities I won't go there except to say that I DO love the money that is going into our USC campus. The Darla Moore School of Biz is ranked number one nationally - as is our Honors College and more.

Fan base...I'll take ours any day. Campus quality...man it's a toss up. NC State is pretty sweet. I hate NC State and my youngest daughter won't consider going there and in-state tuition would be AWESOME compared to the $46K a year that USC will cost me for my youngest to attend.

As far as programs go AND the fact that NC State is Tanner's alma mater...I could see him going to NC State. I question whether or not NC State would buy out Tanner's contract. As far as "battling for Tanner" I like the guy but I agree that anyone could run that program right now as long as they have some business acumen and they have a tireless battery that won't quit.

The money coming from the SEC and ACC and television rights makes the AD job more of a CEO/COO job than anything else. I like Tanner, but money talks and USC could replace Tanner tomorrow with any number of high quality people who could easily keep the momentum going.

I am personally liking Muschamp and think that hire was a very good one - but Tanner and company are all full of crap if they think any of us buys that Muschamp was his only and first choice. Tanner actually screwed up in our dealings with hiring a football coach and we could have gotten any number of high profile coaches Fuentes, Herman, etc. He played tight with the money and it cost him as other universities moved quicker and better.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while and the Muschamp hire will probably turn into the best fit for us long haul. I like the direction our program is moving in. However, it would not be a huge loss to see Tanner move on - not that I think he would.

I think Tanner stays put but their could be $$$$millions of reasons to go back to his school and I for one would not be surprised OR blame him.

Go Cocks... win anyway...in all sports.
I openly admit to be pulling for my son to pick NC State because of this very thing. Sure would be nice to save $30k plus a year for 4 years...my wife could care less and is pushing for the Gamecocks...which I totally get...FOREVER TO THEE...but my son...who grew up a Gamecock but in North Carolina loved NC State...as he did USC. We will see. Did not like UNC at all.

He is looking to get into stats/analytics...big data analysis...and also loves that SAS in in Raleigh and has a major presence on campus...of course that is today...could be something different by this time next week.

But again...that new centennial campus is filled with corporate money and opportunity...the library there looks like the ****ing Guggenheim...it is insane.

LBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development