CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Take-a-Knee
gamecockphan
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Spurticus
catdaddy66
GoldenSpur7
Captain9Dragons
‘They deserve it’: L (890)
Men's team next seas (743)
100 Days (380)
RIP Gregg Allman (370)
2018 - JaKorey Hawki (345)
2018 - Chandler Jone (317)
2019 - Jammie Robins (283)
Music Thread: Day 17 (247)
2019 - Ahdarrious Ge (213)
Weekend cooking (194)
‘They deserve it’: LSU co
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
2018 - Lavonte Valentine
Lindy's and Athlon's are
***That Little Dash There
2018 - Jaycee Horn
HoF Pitcher Jim Bunning D
Limestone men's lacrosse
Men's team next season
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC

Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #41
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
highstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPithighstick rules the CockPit
Default Re: NC State looking at Tanner for AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
You guys recall he left NCSU as baseball coach (after like 9 years as their head guy) to come here right? It doesn't seem that some of you do.
He left because Todd Turner, the AD then, wouldn't do squat to upgrade "fucilities"...It's been done now...

I get a major kick out of listening to fans from both schools trash each other and it's obvious that the worst ones are those who haven't been in Raleigh or Columbia since Everette Case or Frank McGuire was around.

BTW, I'm a member of the Wolfpack and Gamecock Club so I can easily spot the stupid comments from both sides!

Sure would like to see State join the SEC, but it's gonna take a major change in the mindset because of "preconceived notions and the freakin' box they've gotten themselves in with the UNC System, ACC buyout, and politicians who tend to be UnCheat Holes!
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #42
CockyMBA
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudlyCockyMBA is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I hate to be that guy...but...were you aware that NC State is actually ranked higher than we are in the latest Directors Cup standings?

Meaning their overall athletics program is actually considered better than ours is...and they just...arguably...upgraded their basketball coach.

They are ranked 11th and we are 14th:

1. Stanford
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. UNC
7. USC
8. Kentucky
9. Oregon
10. UCLA
11. NC STATE
12. Texas
13. Notre Dame
14. South Carolina

I'm also not sure when the last time any of you were actually on the NC State Campus but I can assure you that it is BIG TIME. The nicest/largest campus I've been on...seriously. The new engineering/centennial campus is absolutely phenomenal. USC has nothing even close. Their student center/bookstore...their Russel House...blows ours out of the water. Again...it isn't even close.

My son just took the tour this last spring break...he is sold. His number 2 is South Carolina.

Believe me...I am Gamecock born and raised. Born in Columbia, went to USC, met my wife there, own a parking spot, donors, etc. but bagging on NC State has simply got to be based in ignorance. It's impressive. If you don't know you don't know but NC State is a big time job.
The final rankings for Winter came out 2 weeks ago: NC State got most of their points from Top 10 Men and Women swim teams and wrestling.

We got most of our points from Men and Women basketball, two revenue generating sports. Because the Director's Cup values sports equally, it skews the reality associated with the statistics. We're also more balanced, having more success with more different sports.

I'm quite sure NCState would trade their swimming and wrestling success for our M/W basketball. Also, the BIGGEST THING -- the ACC paid NC State $26M last year. The SEC paid USC $40M. NC State's a great school, but at this point in his career, it would be a step down.

That said, he ain't leaving.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #43
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Your son is no #TrueFan™
You don't think I know that...the little asshole is a Patriots fan...a freaking PATRIOTS FAN!?!?

There have been many a sleepless night asking ourselves where we went wrong....could we have done something...how did we miss the signs.
LBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #44
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
You don't think I know that...the little asshole is a Patriots fan...a freaking PATRIOTS FAN!?!?

There have been many a sleepless night asking ourselves where we went wrong....could we have done something...how did we miss the signs.
No!!!!
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #45
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Right now I rate Ray Tanner as a good AD. Not great, but good. He was a great baseball coach and I will always be grateful that he brought us back to back National Championships. But as someone wrote above, with all the money coming in we could easily replace him as AD with someone of equal or greater ability.

Ray faces a big decision with Chad. I suspect he is going to punt due to his friendship.

His decision to hire Muschamp may turn out to be sheer genius. Time will tell. Those 2 things will determine how posterity views Ray Tanner.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #46
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

If an ACC team leaves, isn't there a rule now that they will be fined an ass load for doing so?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #47
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1896552
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

It's not going to happen, but a thought crept into my head that he might bail to keep from firing Holbrook.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #48
wincocks84
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
It's not going to happen, but a thought crept into my head that he might bail to keep from firing Holbrook.

This is my thought as well.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #49
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
He left because Todd Turner, the AD then, wouldn't do squat to upgrade "fucilities"...It's been done now...

I get a major kick out of listening to fans from both schools trash each other and it's obvious that the worst ones are those who haven't been in Raleigh or Columbia since Everette Case or Frank McGuire was around.

BTW, I'm a member of the Wolfpack and Gamecock Club so I can easily spot the stupid comments from both sides!

Sure would like to see State join the SEC, but it's gonna take a major change in the mindset because of "preconceived notions and the freakin' box they've gotten themselves in with the UNC System, ACC buyout, and politicians who tend to be UnCheat Holes!
aaaaand wife said move which is what really drives stuff. Near zero chance he leaves imop he is so tied in to cola with his foundation and whatnot. Would be a big blow to the community and would shock me more than pretty much any other person associated with the university.

Also, in reality he's not all that qualified/accomplished to be a bigtime D1 AD, so its really very unlikely they were actually looking at him seriously imop. We kind of moved him ahead 10 levels because he won nattys here and is so well woven into the fabric of our athletics dept/city/state. But like I said, I think Hyman isn't employed.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #50
scfanz
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

I would like Tanner to stay here a while because I think he's doing a good job, but If he wants to leave that is his decision. If he does leave Carolina is in a position to get an excellent replacement.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #51
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Not trying to flame anyone here, but if you think NCSU has better or just as good facilities as we have your way off. Yes, they have done a wonderful jobs on up grades on their football and baseball stadium. They have a nice basketball arena also. But compared to W-B, CLA and the Taj Mahal of Baseball, NCST aint close.
I will say their universities golf course is better than ours simply because the course is basically on campus. Other than that they have nothing on us in facilities, money or fan support...
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #52
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
aaaaand wife said move which is what really drives stuff. Near zero chance he leaves imop he is so tied in to cola with his foundation and whatnot. Would be a big blow to the community and would shock me more than pretty much any other person associated with the university.

Also, in reality he's not all that qualified/accomplished to be a bigtime D1 AD, so its really very unlikely they were actually looking at him seriously imop. We kind of moved him ahead 10 levels because he won nattys here and is so well woven into the fabric of our athletics dept/city/state. But like I said, I think Hyman isn't employed.
No, you are 100% right, he is not qualified at all. We are in the middle of our best sports year in the history of the school, but that is just dumb luck.

I know that Tanner did not hire either Basketball coach, but he has done a good job working with them and we have reached new heights as a result. The Boom hire is early but initial feedback is very promising and 2017 is looking like a really solid year. You can argue that Chad has under-achieved, but only because Tanner had raised the bar so high to start with. We were in the Supers last year, are in position to do some nice things this year if we finish strong. If not, Tanner will shorten the leash and make the call when needed. That is what good ADs do.

Everything else - facilities, finances, minor sports, running clean programs, academics - is just about perfect, and better than it has ever been. But yeah, Tanner is not qualified and has not shown anything.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #53
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

He lacks the seasoning/experience to be a compelling D1 AD candidate at pretty much any other school. I love him and think he's a unique fit for us and hope he is legendary, but that's the reality. Compare his resume to the last two guys we hired when we hired them. They came from TCU and Southern Cal where they were employed as athletics director, if memory serves.

He did a good job not pushing to fire Frank prematurely so he could get "his guy." Big props for that. Everything else is still early, especially for a power five job.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #54
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
He lacks the seasoning/experience to be a compelling D1 AD candidate at pretty much any other school. I love him and think he's a unique fit for us and hope he is legendary, but that's the reality. Compare his resume to the last two guys we hired when we hired them. They came from TCU and Southern Cal where they were employed as athletics director, if memory serves.

He did a good job not pushing to fire Frank prematurely so he could get "his guy." Big props for that. Everything else is still early, especially for a power five job.
I do remember when Ray suspended him for a game because of language on the sidelines during a time out. Was there actually some thought given whether to terminate Frank during those early years?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #55
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockman12 View Post
NC State is not a big time job. It's a second fiddle job to North Carolina in that state. Their athletic facilities aren't even close to ours and we have much better fan support here. I agree about the campus being amazing there, but let's not act like NC State is some kind of dream job.
I hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anybody but many people believe WE are THE 'second fiddle' in the state of SC and that Clemson winning the National Championship...for the second time...and playing for the title last year...and a overall record of 68-42-4 against us in football is 'proof' of that. I have also never heard anyone outside of our own fanbase claim the South Carolina AD job was a "Dream Job" either.

I simply pointed out that NC State is far more like us than not...being in the SEC...and the money that entails...is probably the biggest difference at this point.

Again...I grew up in Columbia and went to USC and have been going to Gamecock sporting events since I was a toddler...that being said I just took the tour at NC State...I'm telling you it is beyond impressive. This idea they are somehow 'not on our level' is based more on personal feelings than reality.

It wasn't that long ago that our AD left for a 'better job' our football coach walked out in the middle of the season and no one even came to the men's basketball games. NCS being Ray's alma mater thrown in the mix and there is a reason we felt the need to extend his contract and pay the man...not to mention what a great job he is doing related to running the program...clean programs, beyond solid academics, community involvement money coming in, relationship wise, etc...he really is a special guy...not to mention he has a couple of national titles on his resume.

Last edited by LBC; 05-10-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #56
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I do remember when Ray suspended him for a game because of language on the sidelines during a time out. Was there actually some thought given whether to terminate Frank during those early years?
Well I don't know about "thought" but there were some rumblings from fans back when we were losing and given the suspension and whatnot. I personally thought you could/would definitely see an AD making a move to get "his guy" in many situations (prior to the first 20+ win season I mean). Probably wouldn't have had to fire him, could have just dithered on the extension to give him the hint. Just saying, he probably deserves some credit for not making a stupid move. Not as much credit as if he hired Frank of course, but some.

Some people might say we are second fiddle but many of the objective metrics such as alumni bases and fan bases, financial resources, etc...would generally contradict that and are distinguishable from the NC facts on the ground. I still don't think this was ever a real issue. Debbie Yow, for example, came from the University of Maryland. Where she was AD, after several other stops including at Florida in her AD career.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #57
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Wasn't that last season?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #58
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Not trying to flame anyone here, but if you think NCSU has better or just as good facilities as we have your way off. Yes, they have done a wonderful jobs on up grades on their football and baseball stadium. They have a nice basketball arena also. But compared to W-B, CLA and the Taj Mahal of Baseball, NCST aint close.
I will say their universities golf course is better than ours simply because the course is basically on campus. Other than that they have nothing on us in facilities, money or fan support...
Lonnie Poole sucks
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #59
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Lonnie Poole sucks
What don't you like about it?

It is fairly highly rated. According to Golfweek the Arnold Palmer designed Lonnie Poole is ranked the 24th best campus golf course in the country. It certainly isn't Pebble Beach but 'sucks' seems out of line with everything I could find. Arnold Palmer usually doesn't suck at building Golf Courses but again I've never played it.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #60
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
What don't you like about it?

It is fairly highly rated. According to Golfweek the Arnold Palmer designed Lonnie Poole is ranked the 24th best campus golf course in the country. It certainly isn't Pebble Beach but 'sucks' seems out of line with everything I could find. Arnold Palmer usually doesn't suck at building Golf Courses but again I've never played it.
lol. I know it's a good course and all. I just don't care for it. Plus it's like 100 bucks a round there now.

That comment was more tongue in cheek than anything.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote