CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
Three and Out
JerseyBird
GeoCocky66
InletCock1989
SNEEZ
TaySC
Ironfan
AR1
sporkgod50
WR out???? (2086)
2017 Gulf Coast Show (1479)
miama-pitt game (1083)
cell phone lights ar (911)
Someone please expla (703)
Good Luck Tomorrow! (640)
Never Again (515)
The Gamecocks Win 30 (453)
It isn't Florida, bu (448)
Clemson: Countdown t (446)
Clemson: Countdown to Kic
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
#114 in Total Offense
ISO 2 lowers for the game
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
2018 - Dorian Gerald
2017 High School Football
Good Luck Tomorrow!
2017 Gulf Coast Showcase:

Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gamecock Fantasy Coach "Dream Team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
First, size has absolutely nothing to do with this. Second, Fry played 4 years compared to succop's 3. So pick up your mic and think again
OK (Take Notes and I'll spell it out for you)

Elliott Fry
(Freshman Season)
15 of 18 (83.3%) - 99 Total Points
(Sophomore Season)
18 of 25 (72.0%) - 105 Total Points
(Junior Season)
20 of 28 (71.4%) - 85 Total Points (We'll Throw Out His Senior Season)

Career (MINUS 1 SEASON)
53 of 71 (74.6%) - 289 Total Points

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Ryan Succop
(Freshman Season)
14 of 20 (70.0%) - 85 Total Points
(Sophomore Season)
13 of 17 (76.5%) - 76 Total Points
(Junior Season)
20 of 30 (66.7%) - 90 Total Points

Career
47 of 67 (70.4%) - 251 Total Points

Elliott Fry (first three years) 289 Points
Ryan Succop (Three years) 251 Points

Let me say this again to be clear...Pay Close Attention

Old 05-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106487138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

So you've got a 48 yard game winner and you're gonna have Fry kick that instead of succop's? No way. Succop is the better kicker. Other than the first half of last year, Fry played on much better offenses than succop.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you've got a 48 yard game winner and you're gonna have Fry kick that instead of succop's? No way. Succop is the better kicker. Other than the first half of last year, Fry played on much better offenses than succop.
YES

Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #24
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106487138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Pretty sure that's the only kick over 50 he ever made
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Nope

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #26
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
OK (Take Notes and I'll spell it out for you)

Elliott Fry
(Freshman Season)
15 of 18 (83.3%) - 99 Total Points
(Sophomore Season)
18 of 25 (72.0%) - 105 Total Points
(Junior Season)
20 of 28 (71.4%) - 85 Total Points (We'll Throw Out His Senior Season)

Career (MINUS 1 SEASON)
53 of 71 (74.6%) - 289 Total Points

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Ryan Succop
(Freshman Season)
14 of 20 (70.0%) - 85 Total Points
(Sophomore Season)
13 of 17 (76.5%) - 76 Total Points
(Junior Season)
20 of 30 (66.7%) - 90 Total Points

Career
47 of 67 (70.4%) - 251 Total Points

Elliott Fry (first three years) 289 Points
Ryan Succop (Three years) 251 Points

Let me say this again to be clear...Pay Close Attention

Spurt, Succop was 16 (not 14) for 20 as a Sophomore, 49 (not 47)for 67 over the three year period, and 73.1% - damn close to Fry's 74.6%. So the difference in total points is a reflection of getting into FG position, not accuracy, which has nothing to do with who is the better kicker.

If you want to know why Succop was slightly less accurate, look at Succop's leg strength. Fry did not make a kick over 47 yards his first two years because his leg was not strong enough - and he was more accurate with his kicks as a result since shorter FGS have higher accuracy. The year Succop went 13-17, three of his misses were from 47, 48 and 50 yards with a long of 49 - all at the limits of Fry's range as a Sophomore. When Succop went 14 for 20, one of his misses was from 51 yards - he also had makes from 50 and 55.

Then throw in the fact that Succop was the kick-off guy for 4 years with a high percentage of kickbacks, and averaged over 42 yards in two years as a punter....I would give him the nod. I understand that punting is not a consideration when rating placekickers, but kick-offs are, and he was one of our best ever doing that. Fry did not kick off.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #27
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 98533032
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Succop all day.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #28
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Spurt, Succop was 16 (not 14) for 20 as a Sophomore, 49 (not 47)for 67 over the three year period, and 73.1% - damn close to Fry's 74.6%. So the difference in total points is a reflection of getting into FG position, not accuracy, which has nothing to do with who is the better kicker.

If you want to know why Succop was slightly less accurate, look at Succop's leg strength. Fry did not make a kick over 47 yards his first two years because his leg was not strong enough - and he was more accurate with his kicks as a result since shorter FGS have higher accuracy. The year Succop went 13-17, three of his misses were from 47, 48 and 50 yards with a long of 49 - all at the limits of Fry's range as a Sophomore. When Succop went 14 for 20, one of his misses was from 51 yards - he also had makes from 50 and 55.

Then throw in the fact that Succop was the kick-off guy for 4 years with a high percentage of kickbacks, and averaged over 42 yards in two years as a punter....I would give him the nod. I understand that punting is not a consideration when rating placekickers, but kick-offs are, and he was one of our best ever doing that. Fry did not kick off.
Look .... Y'all can pick whoever you want to as a kicker on YOUR teams list. If you all
want Succop as your first unit kicker Have at it. I picked Ellott Fry because IN MY OPINION
(Backed by career stats) Ellott Fry was a more accurate kicker, Had the leg to hit from
50+ AND ...had the nuts to do it when a game was on the line. We can debate it based
on y'alls OPINIONS of who was better from now to the next four plus decades, but until
someone steps up with better career stats than Fry's I'll continue to list Fry above
Succop as my Gamecock kicker on my list. Won't have my mind changed due to someone's
Perception of better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock
Spurt, Succop was 16 (not 14) for 20 as a Sophomore, 49 (not 47)for 67 over the three year period, and 73.1% - damn close to Fry's 74.6%.
I stand corrected. You are right.
I got my stats above from the college football site. I just checked your statement from
the USC official website and it does have him as 16 of 20 instead of 14 of 20. However
even though it got him "ALMOST" to Fry's freshman FG %, he's still second to Fry.

I'm still taking Fry over Succop based on
* Better %
* Better Distance
* More Total Points
* Most of all, My personal idea of the better kicker.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Look .... Y'all can pick whoever you want to as a kicker on YOUR teams list. If you all
want Succop as your first unit kicker Have at it. I picked Ellott Fry because IN MY OPINION
(Backed by career stats) Ellott Fry was a more accurate kicker, Had the leg to hit from
50+ AND ...had the nuts to do it when a game was on the line. We can debate it based
on y'alls OPINIONS of who was better from now to the next four plus decades, but until
someone steps up with better career stats than Fry's I'll continue to list Fry above
Succop as my Gamecock kicker on my list. Won't have my mind changed due to someone's
Perception of better.

I stand corrected. You are right.
I got my stats above from the college football site. I just checked your statement from
the USC official website and it does have him as 16 of 20 instead of 14 of 20. However
even though it got him "ALMOST" to Fry's freshman FG %, he's still second to Fry.

I'm still taking Fry over Succop based on
* Better %
* Better Distance
* More Total Points
* Most of all, My personal idea of the better kicker.
Spurt, you are right - it is opinion and all that matters is that you believe that you are right. I personally think that you can go either way - no wrong answer.

But...you are wrong on the better distance part. Fry's leg eventually got stronger, but as a Freshman he did not kick outside the 30 (long of 45) and 30 was his limit as a Sophomore (long of 47). Fry's leg was strong all 4 years - he was the kick-off guy all four years, was the designated long FG kicker as a Freshman (only tried two and missed both from around 50 yards).

And taking longer FGs all 4 years more than explains the minor difference in %. I had the same discussion comparing Fry to Clemson's kicker - Fry was kicking longer FGs and making some), but he also missed a few, resulting in a lower %. I would rather have the guy who is just as accurate on shorter kicks, but with the stronger leg that allows you to get bonus points with long kicks. And can also consistently put the kick-off in the end zone.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote