CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Wisercock
Blitzkrieg
The Yancey
carolina_corpsman
wincocks84
bassman
Egotistical11
Cockypantherfan
sporkgod50
Captain9Dragons
Ortre Smith (1459)
TJ Brunson (850)
Woman loses her mind (746)
DIY flowerpot smoker (246)
The Godfather explai (152)
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TEC (136)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (88)
NCAAF: FLORIDA @ KEN (87)
NCAAF: NORTH CAROLIN (79)
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ VAN (74)
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2018 MBB - Simisola "
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
4 tic for Sale LaTech
Ortre Smith
2 Tix For Sale - Section
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2017/18 season speculatio
TJ Brunson

Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurs
Default 247 thinks highly of our offense this season

http://247sports.com/Article/College...ombos-52761315

They ranked us number 9 in the best qb, rb , wr trifecta in the nation. That's pretty darn good.

Last edited by cockyboy; 05-15-2017 at 05:10 PM..
cockyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 247 thinks highly of our offense this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
Article/College-footballs-best-QB-RB-WR-combos-52761315/Amp

They ranked us number 9 in the best qb, rb , wr trifecta in the nation. That's pretty darn good.
Seems to be a bum link.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
gamecockfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4995300
gamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Seems to be a bum link.
http://247sports.com/Article/College...ombos-52761315

Ya'll are welcome!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

That is why I shake my head when I hear people say we can have a better team and still only win 6.

The O has been the problem for the last three years. I know, we set a single season passing record with Dylan Thompson in 2014. But we also had issues running the ball and sustaining drives. And we lost three games when all we had to do in the Fourth Quarter was get a single First Down - in either of two possessions. And 2015 and 2016 - in particular, the first half of 2016 - was brutal.

This year we have quality at QB (who will only get better), WRs (with depth), TE (with depth), and RBs (with depth). And a solid O Line.

I think the D will be better - If I had to bet, I would say D Line about the same, but improvement at LB and DB. But even if it is the same, the D should put up much better numbers simply because the O can move the ball effectively and keep the D off the field.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
That is why I shake my head when I hear people say we can have a better team and still only win 6.

The O has been the problem for the last three years. I know, we set a single season passing record with Dylan Thompson in 2014. But we also had issues running the ball and sustaining drives. And we lost three games when all we had to do in the Fourth Quarter was get a single First Down - in either of two possessions. And 2015 and 2016 - in particular, the first half of 2016 - was brutal.

This year we have quality at QB (who will only get better), WRs (with depth), TE (with depth), and RBs (with depth). And a solid O Line.

I think the D will be better - If I had to bet, I would say D Line about the same, but improvement at LB and DB. But even if it is the same, the D should put up much better numbers simply because the O can move the ball effectively and keep the D off the field.
Other teams can improve too. I'm not disagreeing with your overall assessment by the way.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

cockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurs

Quote:

I'm with you Ace. I just don't see the brutal schedule everyone else does. There are several teams with question marks just like us.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Stay healthy and hope Wolford gets the max out his group.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

After 2014 and the debacle that was the ATM game, seriously our season ended once we made Kenny Trill a thing and pundits were sending Sumlin to the NFL, I became more pragmatic w my preseason outlooks. With that being said our division is literally dog ��. Florida and tenn lost a lot, UK lost their best back (not mention we lost on the road w our awesome combo of ortmac), Vandy is vandy, and mizzou is now in constant rebuild mode with no relief. That leaves us and uga (not counting out gaytors but they lost a lot brutal schedule and no qb), uga probably had more talent on d and rb, but everyone outside of Athens has Bentley over Eason (anyone who doesn't is fake news). All you need is a qb, look at Clemson (I'm not comparing Bentley to Watson or saying that he'll be as good, just pointing out they went from winning 8 games to the playoffs twice on the back of qb play). I don't think we'll win the SEC, but I def think we can and should winn8-10 games.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
After 2014 and the debacle that was the ATM game, seriously our season ended once we made Kenny Trill a thing and pundits were sending Sumlin to the NFL, I became more pragmatic w my preseason outlooks. With that being said our division is literally dog ��. Florida and tenn lost a lot, UK lost their best back (not mention we lost on the road w our awesome combo of ortmac), Vandy is vandy, and mizzou is now in constant rebuild mode with no relief. That leaves us and uga (not counting out gaytors but they lost a lot brutal schedule and no qb), uga probably had more talent on d and rb, but everyone outside of Athens has Bentley over Eason (anyone who doesn't is fake news). All you need is a qb, look at Clemson (I'm not comparing Bentley to Watson or saying that he'll be as good, just pointing out they went from winning 8 games to the playoffs twice on the back of qb play). I don't think we'll win the SEC, but I def think we can and should winn8-10 games.
Well said
Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Stay healthy and hope Wolford gets the max out his group.
That is the one position group that I am anxious to see.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
miked237
Blue Chip

Male

miked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudlymiked237 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Our schedule looks tougher than normal - NCST (who should have beaten the Taters last season), @A&M (who has done well in the first half of the past few seasons), @UGag in November instead of September when they're guaranteed at least 2 suspensions of key players, Arky, and Wofford with that [censored] triple-option. But I don't see a reason at the moment why we can't contend for the East, as down as it is. Hell, the game against UGag, if the chips fall properly, could be for the East.

Welcome to Year One. Prepare your vehicle of choice, and get ready to buckle up... (I know it's CWM's second season but I think you know where I'm coming from.)
Stay focus, become victorious.
miked237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:

Still questions in both trenches, depth at LB, safety, and special teams. No one has disputed our skill positions look strong but this is still a team full of question marks and the schedule did get harder. We traded Miss St for Arkansas, UMass for LaTech, and ECU for NCST on a neutral venue instead of at home. All 3 of those games are more difficult so yes being better and improving the win total are not necessarily 2 things that go hand in hand this season because the schedule is more difficult.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
Senior Rooster
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 12000200
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
I'm with you Ace. I just don't see the brutal schedule everyone else does. There are several teams with question marks just like us.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 640
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Even though it's still only May, I'm glad we have a defensive minded coach that knows he has a pretty good offense and a questionable defense. He knows he has about 4 months to get his defense stronger, faster and in football shape and ready to bring it come fall practice.
I'm really excited about this year. I know we'll lose some but not without a fight. I really don't see Coach Boom ever allowing another 56-7 beat down again. Unless it's his guys delivering the beat down.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yeah, people forget that in 2014, even with how bad or D was that our O could have sewn up 3 games just by picking up a first down. I may not recall correctly, but I think a couple of those times we barely picked up any yards at all. There was some horrible play calling as well. So, yeah, the D was abysmal, but when given the chance to salt away a few wins, the O came up short as well. That puts us at 9 regular season wins with a shot at 10 in the bowl game. It's possible the recruiting would have looked vastly different. But...
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
Gamecock in TX
Recruit

Male

Gamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talonsGamecock in TX has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
Yeah, people forget that in 2014, even with how bad or D was that our O could have sewn up 3 games just by picking up a first down. I may not recall correctly, but I think a couple of those times we barely picked up any yards at all. There was some horrible play calling as well. So, yeah, the D was abysmal, but when given the chance to salt away a few wins, the O came up short as well. That puts us at 9 regular season wins with a shot at 10 in the bowl game. It's possible the recruiting would have looked vastly different. But...
Agree. I think we blew three double digit leads with less than 6 mins to go in the game. Missouri, Tenn, and KY. God those were terrible games to watch. Especially that Tenn game. When Wilds broke off the 70 yd TD run and Butch was red faced and going apesh*t I thought it was over. Still don't know how we lost that game.
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
You speak for true. We were close with UGA, and that was pre-Bentley. The game is in Athens and their RBs are the best this side of the NFL, but I like our backs and Smart is still in head coach learning mode.

Boom was 11-2 in Year Two at UF. Just sayin'.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #18
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Still questions in both trenches, depth at LB, safety, and special teams. No one has disputed our skill positions look strong but this is still a team full of question marks and the schedule did get harder. We traded Miss St for Arkansas, UMass for LaTech, and ECU for NCST on a neutral venue instead of at home. All 3 of those games are more difficult so yes being better and improving the win total are not necessarily 2 things that go hand in hand this season because the schedule is more difficult.
And Clemson, UF and UT are all much worse, and Clemson and UT are at home. Sorry, the schedule is not harder.

I see your point on the D Line, but I hate the stereotypical "questions on the O Line" comment. What questions? We lose one starter and he was hardly a star, the other four starters are all back. One of last year's starters was hurt on the first play and he is back, 3 others that got starts were hurt during the year also. Lots of experience, returning starts, and, yes, talent. And they played much better than people realize - funny how the Offense and the O Line suddenly started clicking when we got Bentley, Deebo and Rico on the field.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
And Clemson, UF and UT are all much worse, and Clemson and UT are at home. Sorry, the schedule is not harder.

I see your point on the D Line, but I hate the stereotypical "questions on the O Line" comment. What questions? We lose one starter and he was hardly a star, the other four starters are all back. One of last year's starters was hurt on the first play and he is back, 3 others that got starts were hurt during the year also. Lots of experience, returning starts, and, yes, talent. And they played much better than people realize - funny how the Offense and the O Line suddenly started clicking when we got Bentley, Deebo and Rico on the field.
Clemson got worse but they're still a legit top 10 team that we need to have a perfect game combined with them being off to win even at home. I agree that UF and UT are worse, I'd throw in A&M as a team that also took a hit but that gets cancelled out by going on the road and that's the case with UT as well. UGA should be better and it's on the road. Strictly when it comes to home/away our odd numbered years are harder than our even numbered years and we really ratcheted up the OOC schedule in a big way. There is no objective way to look at the schedule as a whole and say that it is worse or the same as last year's in difficulty.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #20
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Clemson got worse but they're still a legit top 10 team that we need to have a perfect game combined with them being off to win even at home. I agree that UF and UT are worse, I'd throw in A&M as a team that also took a hit but that gets cancelled out by going on the road and that's the case with UT as well. UGA should be better and it's on the road. Strictly when it comes to home/away our odd numbered years are harder than our even numbered years and we really ratcheted up the OOC schedule in a big way. There is no objective way to look at the schedule as a whole and say that it is worse or the same as last year's in difficulty.

What makes you think they are a legit top 10 team? That team could've and probably should've lost at least 3 games, and they lost 90% of their offense.

I mean be honest. They were one play, (literally one play) away from losing to auburn, Louisville, and nc st. They lost to pitt.

I'm not guaranteeing a win to Clemson, but I find it hard to believe their a top 10 team this season