CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
Master Bedroom
Ace Dilcock
LegalCock
Wisercock
Flameout12
cack
carolina_corpsman
LBC
Spur's Addiction
A Win vs A Loss (493)
South Carolina vs. L (493)
Coach Staley's big w (395)
Does Deebo Return Ne (379)
Allisha Gray WNBA RO (315)
TJ Shook (272)
Cocky Cash (155)
‘Mad Pooper’ Jogger (145)
Wal*Mart customers s (143)
Jake LaMotta, Real-L (65)
Ole Miss Rebels could swa
2018 MBB - Simisola "
2017 Baseball Recruiting
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
FORWARD: Louisiana Tech;
Does Deebo Return Next Se
South Carolina vs. Louisi
Crowd Against La Tech
Coach Staley's big weeken
2018 MBB - Jericole Helle

Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #21
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: 247 thinks highly of our offense this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
What makes you think they are a legit top 10 team? That team could've and probably should've lost at least 3 games, and they lost 90% of their offense.
Their defense is top 5 in the country IMO, maybe the best. Their offense isn't going to be as good which isn't debatable but I'll be very surprised their offense is below average or even average because they've stocked up on weapons and QBs in recruiting over the last few years.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #22
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Sounds like the perfect time for a NCAA 18 to exist...
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #23
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062293326235
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I have been saying all off season, if this offense is nearly as good as I think it can be, we can put 35 points against anyone. Shoot, if we had Alshon Jeffery on this team I would be willing to bet we put up 50 on anyone.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Clemson got worse but they're still a legit top 10 team that we need to have a perfect game combined with them being off to win even at home. I agree that UF and UT are worse, I'd throw in A&M as a team that also took a hit but that gets cancelled out by going on the road and that's the case with UT as well. UGA should be better and it's on the road. Strictly when it comes to home/away our odd numbered years are harder than our even numbered years and we really ratcheted up the OOC schedule in a big way. There is no objective way to look at the schedule as a whole and say that it is worse or the same as last year's in difficulty.
Sure, you can say it is easier. Clemson is a Top Ten team only if you spend a lot of time on TaterNet and believe what you read - their Offense is starting over and they will be 3rd best team in a 7 team division. Having Clemson and a depleted Florida here makes both games winnable, and don't forget that we have lost to UK three years in a row - having them here is a big deal. That is three games that could very easily switch from the L column to the W column - because the schedule is easier. And Arky at Willy B won't be any tougher than MSU at Starkvegas, with a Freshman QB, virtually no offensive weapons (Deebo came up lame on the first play) and the cowbells clanging.

I will give you NC State on a neutral site over ECU at home - even though ECU beat NC State last year and NC State was only 7-6, including a loss to Boston College at home. La Tech lost a lot from last year and won't really be tougher than UMASS. Wofford is better than Western Carolina but c'mon - La Tech and Wofford at home should both be Ws, even if we have to grind a little more to get there.

UT is a road game, so is UGA, but UT lost a lot and will not be as good, and we played UGA without Bentley. No reason we can't win those as well.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #25
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Their defense is top 5 in the country IMO, maybe the best. Their offense isn't going to be as good which isn't debatable but I'll be very surprised their offense is below average or even average because they've stocked up on weapons and QBs in recruiting over the last few years.
Their D was highly rated, in large part, due to an offense that held on to the ball and kept the defense off the field. If the O can't keep the D on the sidelines, their numbers won't be nearly as good, and not anywhere close to Top Five. They barely were Top Ten last year with a great Offense, and they lose four First Team All-ACC defenders.

They have a gambling, aggressive D that puts pressure on the opponent and forces a lot of three and outs, but also gets burned if they face a veteran passing QB that can make the reads (see Pitt) or a scrambling QB that can escape the initial pressure (see Louisville). That exposes their pass coverage (they play a lot of man) and there is usually a lot of green grass once you get past the initial push.

We looked inept because we had Freshman QB who had played a total of 5 games and could not make the needed adjustments and reads, either against UF or Clemson. But the nice thing about Freshmen is that they become Sophomores.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #26
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Stay healthy and hope Wolford gets the max out his group.
This. Our QB's & RB's improvements will only go as far as the OL will take them.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #27
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes. I think folks are making too much of them losing Watson. Yes, losing the best player in your program's history is always a big deal. But they are still loaded at QB and the other skill positions. There will certainly be a drop-off from Watson to whoever starts for Clemson this year, but that says more about Watson's talent level than anything else.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #28
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29770000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
And Clemson, UF and UT are all much worse, and Clemson and UT are at home. Sorry, the schedule is not harder.

I see your point on the D Line, but I hate the stereotypical "questions on the O Line" comment. What questions? We lose one starter and he was hardly a star, the other four starters are all back. One of last year's starters was hurt on the first play and he is back, 3 others that got starts were hurt during the year also. Lots of experience, returning starts, and, yes, talent. And they played much better than people realize - funny how the Offense and the O Line suddenly started clicking when we got Bentley, Deebo and Rico on the field.
DL is full of questions, as is the OL.

The way I look at the OL is how I look at any of our players...I compare them to opposing teams and whether or not they're good enough to start for our opposition.

Based on last year, Bailey is the only guy on our OL that would have a chance to start for any team we play against. And he's moved to a new position, have to see how he handles the move.

As for the other guys, it's hard to tell because of their injuries. Helms was a major disappointment, but in fairness to him he was hurt. He's a guy that probably needs to concentrate more on improving his game and less on giving funny interviews.

Park and Stanley to this point have underperformed.

Knott has struggled the whole time he's been here, in fairness to him he's battled injuries.

Camper hasn't shown anything yet.

Young has struggled.

Quite honestly, I'm more excited to see what Daley and Hutcherson bring to the table, outside of Bailey and maybe Helms there are positions open.

I wouldn't say the offense and the OL "started clicking" when we got Bentley, Deebo, and Rico on the field, they simply looked a little better than when all we had was Hurst at TE, and the QB combo of an overperforming walk on and an overrated true Freshman. The whole offense struggled when they played defenses that had a pulse.
pitchcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

I'm extremely excited for this season. Just waiting on those season tickets to arrive is like another exciting countdown for me.

I'm also trying to lower my expectations, but it's hard with the potential our offense has. We might actually be able to sustain drives and score points consistently and that will help our defense more than has been stated.

I'll say we get 7 wins (not including a bowl game), but I'm giddy. I think we are really starting to turn the corner.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #30
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

The way I look at the OL is how I look at any of our players...I compare them to opposing teams and whether or not they're good enough to start for our opposition.

Based on last year, Bailey is the only guy on our OL that would have a chance to start for any team we play against. And he's moved to a new position, have to see how he handles the move.

As for the other guys, it's hard to tell because of their injuries. Helms was a major disappointment, but in fairness to him he was hurt. He's a guy that probably needs to concentrate more on improving his game and less on giving funny interviews.

Knott has struggled the whole time he's been here, in fairness to him he's battled injuries.

Young has struggled.

Quite honestly, I'm more excited to see what Daley and Hutcherson bring to the table, outside of Bailey and maybe Helms there are positions open.

I wouldn't say the offense and the OL "started clicking" when we got Bentley, Deebo, and Rico on the field, they simply looked a little better than when all we had was Hurst at TE, and the QB combo of an overperforming walk on and an overrated true Freshman. The whole offense struggled when they played defenses that had a pulse.
Nice comments. Your last sentence was the most revealing. For the most part, the OL was overwhelmed by a good defense.
Just hoping Wolfie can make a big difference....no one can say we don't have the big bodies to work with. If Wolfie can work wonders, it could be a fun year!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #31
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Excellent QB and RB performance can help the offensive line not only look better, but perform better. The reverse is true as well. When the running backs are making plays, extra yards, getting to the sticks, play calling can be easier with the defense having to adjust to stop the run. The OL can do what they do best without having to face third and long so often and see 5 and 6 man rush packages and DL stunts. A QB who can hit the short throws, extend plays, and not get happy feet makes it shakier for defenses to stack the box and use a lot of run-blitz schemes. Most would also acknowledge that a TE or WR who can get separation early and catch away from his body can make a QB and OL live a better life. It all works together or often not at all.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #32
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I don't think highly of our offense until I see that our unit that they left out praising shows they have a pulse. The OL.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #33
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

There's a lot of weapons on offense and if Bentley takes the next step, it could definitely be a force. He has the arm to take a lot of shots down field. But, the offensive line will need to improve and the playcalling needs to be a lot better too. I'm not sure how I feel about either one of the two coming to fruition.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

Young has struggled.

You need experience to be a good O Lineman, despite what people in the Upstate think.

Knott has "struggled"? Interesting way to describe a four year starter. He struggled some last year due to two separate injuries, one that kept him from lifting weights in the offseason and left him undersized coming into the season, then another that hobbled him during the season. He will be able to get the needed weight on this offseason and should be full speed.

Helms had a knee injury that kept us from showing how good he is. But as a healthy 5th year Senior and another four year starter, he is very solid.

Stanley won a starting job as a RS Sophomore and then got hurt on the first play of the season. So you define being injured as "underperformed". He is a 4* that has developed nicely and won the starting nod on merit.

Young, by all accounts, was solid at Tackle in the second half of last season. He was a RS Sophomore making his first starts and helped the O Line to gel - and you define that as "struggled". SMDH

Bailey did not get moved because he could not play his position - he got moved because the coaches believe he will be a very good Tackle. If he isn't he can go back to being a very good guard. Either way, he will be an outstanding O Lineman for us this year, and a probable high draft pick.

Size, talent, experience, depth across the board. Not taking RS Freshmen like Hutcherson or a JUCO like Daley.

And you see guys that "struggled" and "underperformed".
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #35
Three and Out
Game MVP

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Lattimore said he thinks we will average at least 28 points per game this year.
Last year, we averaged 21 points a game.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #36
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Nice comments. Your last sentence was the most revealing. For the most part, the OL was overwhelmed by a good defense.
Just hoping Wolfie can make a big difference....no one can say we don't have the big bodies to work with. If Wolfie can work wonders, it could be a fun year!
Gotcha. The problem against UF and Clemson was the O Line. Not a true Freshman QB "that should have been a Senior in high school" playing in his 4th and 6th games, against aggressive Top Ten defenses on the road.

One more time - Bentley spent the Spring learning to read defenses, change blocking schemes, hit hot reads, change the calls. If he knew how to do those things prior to the Clemson and UF games, you would have been amazed at how much better the O Line looked.

When the Offense is clicking, people talk about how good the skill guys are. When the Offense struggles, it is automatically the O Line's fault. Even if the O Line is playing fine.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #37
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Gotcha. The problem against UF and Clemson was the O Line. Not a true Freshman QB "that should have been a Senior in high school" playing in his 4th and 6th games, against aggressive Top Ten defenses on the road.

One more time - Bentley spent the Spring learning to read defenses, change blocking schemes, hit hot reads, change the calls. If he knew how to do those things prior to the Clemson and UF games, you would have been amazed at how much better the O Line looked.

When the Offense is clicking, people talk about how good the skill guys are. When the Offense struggles, it is automatically the O Line's fault. Even if the O Line is playing fine.
Except the OL didn't play fine last year. There is no statistical category you can point to when it comes to backing up your point. If we get the exact same level of play from the OL this year Bentley won't make it through the season and the offense will struggle. I'm thinking they will at least be a bit improved but if the exact same level of play occurs next year we're in trouble.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #38
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

cockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
Yes. I think folks are making too much of them losing Watson. Yes, losing the best player in your program's history is always a big deal. But they are still loaded at QB and the other skill positions. There will certainly be a drop-off from Watson to whoever starts for Clemson this year, but that says more about Watson's talent level than anything else.
First off, they didn't lose just Watson. They are replacing 90% of their offensive production from last season. You are highly understating the loss of these players and are kidding yourself if you think there won't be a significant drop off.
cockyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #39
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Except the OL didn't play fine last year. There is no statistical category you can point to when it comes to backing up your point. If we get the exact same level of play from the OL this year Bentley won't make it through the season and the offense will struggle. I'm thinking they will at least be a bit improved but if the exact same level of play occurs next year we're in trouble.
The "O Line didn't play fine" is 100% your opinion.The O Line had issues early with Stanley getting hurt, then Camper, and Knott and Helms being banged up also. But in the second half, we avoided additional injuries, Young solidified the RT spot, and the offensive numbers improved. But here is the thing - we got Rico healthy, Deebo healthy, and Bentley into the line-up. So were our early struggles due to the O line, or a lack of experience and talent at the skill positions during the first half?

How is this for a statistical category: Dowdle averaged more yards per game - and per carry - easily - than Clemson's veteran RB Gallman. And people think that Clemson has this wonderful O Line and ours sucks. Go ahead and explain how we did that - with O Linemen that "struggled" and "underperformed".
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #40
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
First off, they didn't lose just Watson. They are replacing 90% of their offensive production from last season. You are highly understating the loss of these players and are kidding yourself if you think there won't be a significant drop off.
Yes - ask your Clemson friends who is starting at QB. Then ask the same about RB. And TE. And who will join Cain and Renfrow at WR. The truth is that they have no idea - their best QB in the Spring game was a 3* QB that no one is predicting to start.

People usually assume that the Clemson D will be lights out. But a big reason for their defensive success is that their Offense consistently moved the ball and kept the D off the field. A significant Offensive slip will be enough to knock Clemson out of the Top 25 in Defensive ranking.

Plus they lose four First Team All-ACC defenders, including half their secondary and their team leader at LB. Ouch.