CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Three and Out
6pack
gotrice?
CockTail
Order 66
FlorenceCock
cockyboy
SanAntonioCock
ccured
Hugh Freeze about to (2340)
Titty twisting and b (626)
10 College Football (518)
Chester Bennington o (395)
Reminds me of my fir (220)
Freeze out @ old Mi (206)
***The Open Champion (143)
Guy Eargle (142)
Demarcus Gregory 201 (49)
Demarcus Gregory 2018 ?
Hugh Freeze about to be f
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Channing Tindall
***The Open Championship*
2018 - James Mitchell
Titty twisting and biting
2018 - Trey Dean
2018 - Jaycee Horn
Amazon Prime Sous Vide $1

Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Donít sleep on SC in the SEC East

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The East is UGA's to lose this year. I'm not going to be sold on Florida until Butter Teeth fields an offense worth a damn and proves that he can win with a defense that isn't full of Muschamp's players. Tennessee is more of a dark horse than USC is honestly given the amount of talent Butch has assembled there. If he can ever figure out how to put it together, they'll contend.

USC will have a good year if they can beat NC State, Mizzou, UK, Arkansas, and Vandy while dominating LaTech and Wofford. CWM probably needs 1 big upset and UF looks like the best candidate. Anything else is gravy. I'm hoping for respectable showings @aTm, @UT, @UGA, Clemson.

CWM has said that we are 2 more recruiting classes away from being where we need to be so I'll adjust my expectations to that.
All I ask for this year is to show improvement in all areas, beat the teams we should, and have at least one upset over one of our big rivals. I don't think that's out of the question.

However, lately the predicted East winner doesn't end up meeting the expectations. Is Georgia this year's Tennessee?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
The East is UGA's to lose this year. I'm not going to be sold on Florida until Butter Teeth fields an offense worth a damn and proves that he can win with a defense that isn't full of Muschamp's players. Tennessee is more of a dark horse than USC is honestly given the amount of talent Butch has assembled there. If he can ever figure out how to put it together, they'll contend.

USC will have a good year if they can beat NC State, Mizzou, UK, Arkansas, and Vandy while dominating LaTech and Wofford. CWM probably needs 1 big upset and UF looks like the best candidate. Anything else is gravy. I'm hoping for respectable showings @aTm, @UT, @UGA, Clemson.

CWM has said that we are 2 more recruiting classes away from being where we need to be so I'll adjust my expectations to that.
I love it when a coach is blunt and brutally honest. I'd rather hear where we actually are
than to hear several weeks of "coach speak" about how really good everyone is doing
in the off season, and when they are asked about a High profile player, they say he's
showin' out in the winter / spring drills, only to have them sit the bench during the season.

I agree with that point of view for this team too. We have overly taken care of our needs
on offense and I really do think that side will be fun to watch this year. Our problem is
on Defense where we are going to have to use a lot of Freshmen or little used players
in the secondary, and we still have no proven improvements or shown any signs of
improvement in the defensive front. (save he addition of Skai Moore to the LB position)
We NEED DESPERATELY to develop a pass rush to get the defense to even start to look
like it's coming together, and I don't see where this year will be much of an improvement
over the past few years with that area of the defense. Until we get a pass rush from the
front line, and put pressure on the opposition's backfield / QB, it doesn't matter how much
we improve in the secondary, you can't keep asking DBs to cover WRs at this level for
5-6 -8 seconds while the QB stands in the pocket and looks over the field. You can't keep
giving up large chucks of yards on the ground late in the game when you still have a chance
to stop the offense, get the ball back and have a shot at winning games.

Offense will be fun to watch, but "DEFENSE WINS GAMES" ...... It doesn't matter if you
can put 25-30 points on the board every single game when your defense allows 35 +
every single game. Unless you develop a pass rush from your down four / five, you're
going to give up a lot of points in the SEC.

Two more recruiting cycles with an emphasis on D/linemen (ESPECIALLY Defensive Ends)
will get us there as long as our offense grows as steady as it has the past couple of
seasons.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #23
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
It's weird to me, but given the circumstances, next season will be very important for Kirby Smart. He really needs to be competitive, and should win the east. UGA comes out with what they return and another 7-8 win season and the clock has started on his tenure.

Muschamp gets a free ride for 3-4 years. I hope for progression but he's not under near the pressure as Smart.
Yeah if Muschamp had stepped in right after Dylan Thompson's last season though, it seems like he would be in a similar spot. The guy before at UGA was winning like steady every season and beating UF regularly, so he's not going to get a very long leash. Best case scenario for us is it doesn't work out for him and he can join our staff in a few years (after some guys hopefully move on and up from our staff).

Yeah, I don't know about the defense. If we can stay healthy and some of these new guys can have impacts he might be able to field a decent product. That secondary really improved last season from the two prior and he brought in some more jucos and more mature guys who might be able to play right away. Maybe if Kinlaw is a beast requiring triple teams, we might be ok.

Last edited by LegalCock; 05-16-2017 at 12:25 PM..
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #24
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
All I ask for this year is to show improvement in all areas, beat the teams we should, and have at least one upset over one of our big rivals. I don't think that's out of the question.

However, lately the predicted East winner doesn't end up meeting the expectations. Is Georgia this year's Tennessee?
That's all I asked for last year and we got that. I was pleased with where this
team ended last season, compared to the previous season. It was a MAJOR
step forward in Boom's first season running the show.

It's what I ask again this year, but I'd add to the goals ..... Win the Bowl game.
Making to a bowl game last year, after only winning three games the year
before was a remarkable leap, considering we had only won two games by
mid season, and the toughest part of our schedule was from week 7 to 12,
and lets be honest, we weren't a very talented team on offense or defense overall.
This year, Just show some improve everywhere, get to the post season again, and win a
bowl game. ... I'll be happy
Old 05-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #25
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
UGA will be fine - they have too much talent not to be fine, and they should have the best RB tandem in college football. But there is a learning curve with becoming a head coach and getting the right staff put together - see University of Florida, Athletics, Football, Muschamp, William "Boom".

I have never said that Smart could not turn out to be a really good head coach, just that he was going to have to take a few lumps first, and he has a bunch more to take before he gets there. That is why I did not want him here, and why I would be surprised to see them take the East this year.
This is an accurate post. You did not say he would not turn out to be a really good head coach. You definitely did not say that. It is also true that you did not want him at SC. Good post.

Quote:
FROM OLD ACE POSTS :
You don't have to like what I say, but the Get Smart crowd seems even more delusional than the Elliott crowd. Just because he coaches at Alabama, he is as good at coaching and recruiting as Saban, and has contacts everywhere to get the best staff in the nation. Even though his predecessor, Muschamp, could not do diddly with the exact same qualification set.

Smart is Muschamp 2.0 so no wonder that the Smart fans want to come up with excuses for his failure. And that was at Florida where recruits grow on trees.
Does Smart recruit in South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida? If not, I don't see how his "extensive SE contacts" will help us. If you are referring to his ability to put together a staff, Muschamp came in with a similar background and could not get a good offensive staff, even with Florida's money and resources.
1 - 3 are your opinion. 4 - I think Herman has proven himself but Smart has not. If Smart turns out like Muschamp, then we might be set back longer than 5 years. There is nothing to indicate that he could be successful away from Saban and Alabama's built-in advantages.

[b]Smart could turn out okay but it is extremely risky, just like when Muschamp was promoted to a head coaching position. O coordinators usually make the better head coaches, so Smart may actually not be Brad Scott 2.0 - the Scott hire may have actually made more sense.

Smart has never been anywhere except at powerhouse schools where you can basically pick your recruits - UGA, LSU, and Alabama. Anyone can do a good job with that kind of talent/resources. Herman is winning - as a head coach - at Houston. And Elliott is making us look better week to week - if he can continue that, he has shown a heck of a lot more than Smart. Or Muschamp, for that matter.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #26
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
That's all I asked for last year and we got that. I was pleased with where this
team ended last season, compared to the previous season. It was a MAJOR
step forward in Boom's first season running the show.

It's what I ask again this year, but I'd add to the goals ..... Win the Bowl game.
Making to a bowl game last year, after only winning three games the year
before was a remarkable leap,
considering we had only won two games by
mid season, and the toughest part of our schedule was from week 7 to 12,
and lets be honest, we weren't a very talented team on offense or defense overall.
This year, Just show some improve everywhere, get to the post season again, and win a
bowl game
. ... I'll be happy
I think getting to the bowl game was amazing. It would have been nice to win it. Considering the last two years, I would be happy with a 7+ wins & a bowl or 8+ wins and a bowl appearance.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #27
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 8888888
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

8 wins would be nice

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #28
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

CockyCash: 100
SC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot material

Every time I read an article like this and hear our fans reactions, I feel like our fans need to stop sleeping on the rest of the SEC East.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #29
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:

The sooner the better. He needs to take advantage of Bentley while he's here, I hope the light comes on this year with the offense. If we can average over 35 points a game, we can still win a lot of games with an average defense. With an above average defense, we should contend for the east this year and next.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #30
Ace Dilcock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
The sooner the better. He needs to take advantage of Bentley while he's here, I hope the light comes on this year with the offense. If we can average over 35 points a game, we can still win a lot of games with an average defense. With an above average defense, we should contend for the east this year and next.
35 points is a little unrealistic. 28 is probably closer to where we will be, which will be a marked improvement from last year's 20.8. At 28 points, and using the Ace Dilcock Theory of Offense/Defense Relativity, that should keep the Defense off the field enough to drop the Defensive points allowed from 26.5 to close to 20. And allow us to win 8-9 games, and at least be in contention in the East.

That would put a strong positive buzz out there and help in getting the recruits that we need to continue moving up.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #31
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

If you got a QB you got a chance.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #32
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1158
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
If we are truly 2 recruiting cycles away from being where we need to be, then I'm not sure Bentley will be able to deliver us the SEC East or the SEC for that matter.

However, if Bentley can continue to progress and show that he is one of the top QBs in the country over the next two years, then Muschamp can walk into a HS QBs living room and say "Look, you can come play for me and be successful."

Also, I've never understood why a QB wouldn't want to play for a guy like Muschamp. Is Muschamp a QB expert? No. But if I'm a QB trying to get better, I would love to learn more about a top-notch defense and how to play around one. Bentley is only going to get better by playing against a Muschamp defense every day.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 189993394528431262
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
8 wins would be nice
Oh, ye of little faith!
:)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #34
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
If we can average over 35 points a game
Ha!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #35
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

First, UGA didn't have as good of season as their record.

They won against Nichols State by 2, Mizzou by 1, UK by 3, USC (and we were struggling hard) by a TD, and somehow managed to beat Auburn because Auburn sucks it up every so often.

You can't keep on getting by with those kinds of wins. Now, a years worth experience might help, but you just don't know.

The fact is: SEC east sucks. This is as down as I remember this division being in my college football lifetime. Any team--and I mean any--could win the division.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #36
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
First, UGA didn't have as good of season as their record.

They won against Nichols State by 2, Mizzou by 1, UK by 3, USC (and we were struggling hard) by a TD, and somehow managed to beat Auburn because Auburn sucks it up every so often.

You can't keep on getting by with those kinds of wins. Now, a years worth experience might help, but you just don't know.

The fact is: SEC east sucks. This is as down as I remember this division being in my college football lifetime. Any team--and I mean any--could win the division.
The last part works for me. I've given up on relying on SOS to count for anything so if we can get some wins against our usually solid conference opponents who are in a slump I'll take it. Recruits just want to see convincing wins no matter who it's against so let's make the most of this opportunity and give them those wins.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #37
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

I think this year is the one that Smart gets bit for coaching in the post-season at Bama when he should have been recruiting instead.