CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Blitzkrieg
carolina_corpsman
PFW79
Ace Dilcock
Lalli25
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
Three and Out
Cockadoo
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4 (1540)
Zia Cooke 43 points, (500)
Starting Lineup Pred (461)
2019- Olivia Thompson
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - John Dixon
Vote for Hilinski
'Influential Voices' Read
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4) @ P
2019 - Jakai Moore
Belk Bowl
What's for dinner tonight
Deebo

Old 10-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #101
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ground game issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
Woah, hold on...you think our coaches offensive play calling is based on what they think the fans want to see?? Man thatís...some kinda theory. Our fans want wins and I donít think they really care how the team gets it. Also, I donít think our coaches are really concerned as to what the fans want to see.

One, if you actually look at the numbers the total rush attempts to total pass attempts are pretty balanced. Two, they like to control the tempo. That means they want to be able to go fast when they want and slow it down when they want based on how the game is going.
HAHAHAHA. Man, some people are crazy.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #102
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Woah, hold on...you think our coaches offensive play calling is based on what they think the fans want to see?? Man thatís...some kinda theory. Our fans want wins and I donít think they really care how the team gets it. Also, I donít think our coaches are really concerned as to what the fans want to see.

One, if you actually look at the numbers the total rush attempts to total pass attempts are pretty balanced. Two, they like to control the tempo. That means they want to be able to go fast when they want and slow it down when they want based on how the game is going.
You know that if the team ran the ball 90% of the time that many of the fans would say they were "boring". They would. Most fans don't want to win 14-10. They want to win, yes, but they want to win 34-31, or 41-38. To them, that is exciting football! Going fast is designed to score as quickly as possible. There is no other reason for it. Its all about putting points on the scoreboard, which is what most fans love and want.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #103
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
You know that if the team ran the ball 90% of the time that many of the fans would say they were "boring". They would. Most fans don't want to win 14-10. They want to win, yes, but they want to win 34-31, or 41-38. To them, that is exciting football! Going fast is designed to score as quickly as possible. There is no other reason for it. Its all about putting points on the scoreboard, which is what most fans love and want.
That's fine. But coaches and players do just want to win. Ultimately, that's what fans want too. I'd take a 10-7 win against UK over a 56-49 loss.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #104
Cornerback
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
Cornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Eh...Rico was a RB converted to QB for his HS team because they needed a quality athlete there. In his senior highlight film, he doesn't even throw the ball once. So this is a much different situation than Joyner.
Sorry, but you are completely wrong. His stats for his senior year were:
90 completions out of 140 attempts for 1,211 yards and 10 TDs as a QB. That is quite a bit different from the picture you're painting. Using a highlight film as a basis for fact is like only looking at salads in a buffet line and saying it's all healthy.

QB is basically all he played. He only played in one game as a Jr. so, no, he wasn't really a converted RB in HS.
Cornerback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #105
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The coaches donít call plays and run their offense because itís what the fans want. They believe they have the personell to control the tempo. They run up tempo because up tempo means more plays and thatís what Muschamp wants. Their goal is to win games. If they lose scoring 45 points a game theyíre still going to eventually lose their job if they donít start winning.

And this is just me, but the history of SC football doesnít exactly give our fans reason to turn their nose up at ANY win we get.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #106
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerback View Post
Sorry, but you are completely wrong. His stats for his senior year were:
90 completions out of 140 attempts for 1,211 yards and 10 TDs as a QB. That is quite a bit different from the picture you're painting. Using a highlight film as a basis for fact is like only looking at salads in a buffet line and saying it's all healthy.

QB is basically all he played. He only played in one game as a Jr. so, no, he wasn't really a converted RB in HS.
That's 14 attempts per game. If that includes playoffs, it's even less. Meanwhile, Hilinski, a real QB, is throwing 35 times per game.

I'm saying he is a RB build who was stuck at QB because they needed somebody there.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #107
Cornerback
4-Star

Male

Cornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudly

Quote:
That's 14 attempts per game. If that includes playoffs, it's even less. Meanwhile, Hilinski, a real QB, is throwing 35 times per game.

I'm saying he is a RB build who was stuck at QB because they needed somebody there.
What does Hilinski have to do with it? Dak is a whole lot more like Rico than Hilinski in terms of his build, athleticism, and skill sets. Dak's first year HS stats almost mirror those of Rico: 96 of 153 for 1,646 yds. They both only played QB. The inference here has been you can't convert a QB to RB, and that is simply not true.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #108
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
What does Hilinski have to do with it? Dak is a whole lot more like Rico than Hilinski in terms of his build, athleticism, and skill sets. Dak's first year HS stats almost mirror those of Rico: 96 of 153 for 1,646 yds. They both only played QB. The inference here has been you can't convert a QB to RB, and that is simply not true.
I don't know much about how Dowdle's HS games played out, but I don't think Joyner was playing a lot of QB in the second half, if I recall.

And I didn't say no RB could be converted to a QB. I'm just saying I'm not sure Dak has the durability to play RB in the SEC, while Rico fits the bill of a RB.

EDIT: Maybe Joyner is bigger than he looks. Idk.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #109
Cornerback
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I don't know much about how Dowdle's HS games played out, but I don't think Joyner was playing a lot of QB in the second half, if I recall.

And I didn't say no RB could be converted to a QB. I'm just saying I'm not sure Dak has the durability to play RB in the SEC, while Rico fits the bill of a RB.

EDIT: Maybe Joyner is bigger than he looks. Idk.
According to the Roster they are similar in size. Dak is listed at 6'1" 206 lbs while Rico is 215 lbs. Just looking at him Dak looks like a well built athlete to me. IDK how durable he is either, but in our system, what RB is? We have 4 RBs that have played (5 if you count Slade Carroll) so no one gets a ton of carries anyway. So far Rico has gotten the most work with 15 carries/gm. Ty'Son has gotten 10 and AJ only 4. I would say Dak would have to be more durable than AJ who is only 5'10" and 195. But that is just conjecture on my part.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #110
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
According to the Roster they are similar in size. Dak is listed at 6'1" 206 lbs while Rico is 215 lbs. Just looking at him Dak looks like a well built athlete to me. IDK how durable he is either, but in our system, what RB is? We have 4 RBs that have played (5 if you count Slade Carroll) so no one gets a ton of carries anyway. So far Rico has gotten the most work with 15 carries/gm. Ty'Son has gotten 10 and AJ only 4. I would say Dak would have to be more durable than AJ who is only 5'10" and 195. But that is just conjecture on my part.
Hmm. Thatís surprisingly heavy for Dak, Iíll admit. I just didnít see it in his frame when I saw him in the spring game. So honestly, who knows? Maybe he could be a decent RB.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #111
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
The coaches don’t call plays and run their offense because it’s what the fans want. They believe they have the personell to control the tempo. They run up tempo because up tempo means more plays and that’s what Muschamp wants. Their goal is to win games. If they lose scoring 45 points a game they’re still going to eventually lose their job if they don’t start winning.

And this is just me, but the history of SC football doesn’t exactly give our fans reason to turn their nose up at ANY win we get.
I believe that if you polled the fans, they would much rather win 45-38 than to win 14-7 because they love offense more than they love defense. And they would MUCH rather attend a high scoring game than a low scoring one. And attendance is very important to administration. $$$
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #112
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
I believe that if you polled the fans, they would much rather win 45-38 than to win 14-7 because they love offense more than they love defense. And they would MUCH rather attend a high scoring game than a low scoring one. And attendance is very important to administration. $$$
Excellent points. Been meaning to ask though, whoís that in your avatar? I showed my better half and we couldnít figure it out.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #113
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Excellent points. Been meaning to ask though, who’s that in your avatar? I showed my better half and we couldn’t figure it out.
Using chrome, right click on the image then left click on "Search Google for image". Not being a smart ass. Most people don't seem to know about this little feature.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #114
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I get that. I like points too. But unless your Alabama, you donít really have that luxury of arguing how many points you want to score in your win. Your main point though was that coaches call plays based on what the fans want. Youíre just not going to get me to believe that.

And also to be fair, the fans that would be pissed about only scoring 14 points a game would be pissed if were giving up 38 points a game. The point is, fans want wins and at the end of the day most fans donít care about how they get it.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #115
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Excellent points. Been meaning to ask though, whoís that in your avatar? I showed my better half and we couldnít figure it out.
That is Professor Irwin Corey, The World's Foremost Authority. He was a comedian, now deceased. Try looking up some of his stuff on YouTube.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #116
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I get that. I like points too. But unless your Alabama, you don’t really have that luxury of arguing how many points you want to score in your win. Your main point though was that coaches call plays based on what the fans want. You’re just not going to get me to believe that.

And also to be fair, the fans that would be pissed about only scoring 14 points a game would be pissed if were giving up 38 points a game. The point is, fans want wins and at the end of the day most fans don’t care about how they get it.
The points I was trying to make were 1. USC does not run the ball well because they recruit for and emphasize the pass. And I believe the reason for that is that they think they will recruit better if they play an offense that resembles what the pros run. They want to recruit guys who will make it to the NFL because that is where most of the recruits want to go. 2. High scoring sells tickets. Most fans would much rather see an 80 yard TD pass than an 80 yard TD drive that takes 18 plays and runs 10 minutes off the clock.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #117
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
The points I was trying to make were 1. USC does not run the ball well because they recruit for and emphasize the pass. And I believe the reason for that is that they think they will recruit better if they play an offense that resembles what the pros run. They want to recruit guys who will make it to the NFL because that is where most of the recruits want to go. 2. High scoring sells tickets. Most fans would much rather see an 80 yard TD pass than an 80 yard TD drive that takes 18 plays and runs 10 minutes off the clock.
But where are you getting the idea that SC emphasizes the pass?? Go look at the numbers man. We almost have the exact same number of passes to rush attempts on the season. And itís not like weíre always trying to throw the deep ball. The running game is inconsistent due to the defenses we play, building talent at OL and RB, etc.. NFL offenses are balanced too and I promise SC wants future pros at running back and receiver (as well as all other positions obviously).

As for the last point, weíll just agree to disagree. You think offense sells tickets. I think winning sells tickets. Thatís what coaches, players, administration and fans want at the end of the day. If you have season tickets and SC beats A&M 10-7 on Saturday, you shouldnít have any problem selling your tickets to the next game.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #118
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
But where are you getting the idea that SC emphasizes the pass?? Go look at the numbers man. We almost have the exact same number of passes to rush attempts on the season. And itís not like weíre always trying to throw the deep ball. The running game is inconsistent due to the defenses we play, building talent at OL and RB, etc.. NFL offenses are balanced too and I promise SC wants future pros at running back and receiver (as well as all other positions obviously).

As for the last point, weíll just agree to disagree. You think offense sells tickets. I think winning sells tickets. Thatís what coaches, players, administration and fans want at the end of the day. If you have season tickets and SC beats A&M 10-7 on Saturday, you shouldnít have any problem selling your tickets to the next game.
Do you think most USC fans would be happy if USC won every game 7-3? Wouldn't a lot of them complain about boring football and want something done to score more points?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #119
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

South Carolina emphasizes balance, which I think is a mistake and a big reason that we have not been better on Offense. You should always take what the Defense gives you and that is usually the pass. And we should also use more QB runs.

If we pass when the D is focused on the run, and make the QB run a threat, the holes will start to open up for the RBs.

FYI, Joyner had 2184 passing yards as a Senior and hit more that 2/3 of his passes, with a TD/INT ration of 15/4. So yeah, he was much more of a passer than Rico. And that was playing against a higher level of comeptition than Rico.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #120
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do you think most USC fans would be happy if USC won every game 7-3? Wouldn't a lot of them complain about boring football and want something done to score more points?
If we won every game 7-3 (including against Clemson) fans would be overjoyed.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote