CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
smoovecock
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
Captain9Dragons
TaySC
GoldenSpur7
TastyLicks
Tigertime
CapitolCock
Only Southerners Get (1043)
Paul Finnbaum Show (935)
2018 - SG - Anfernee (583)
Sobering stat for ba (538)
Shane Beamer (522)
What was the best mo (327)
Stephen Garcia art p (265)
Early Week 1 College (181)
Ireland (111)
AKORN GRILL FROM LOW (96)
2018 - Rick Sandidge
Only Southerners Get Thes
Shane Beamer
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - Marlon Character J
2018 Commitment - Lamariu
Paul Finnbaum Show
247 is a Joke
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Football Recruiting - Top

Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Matt Canada

With all of the OC talks going on, I am REALLY intrigued by the Matt Canada situation down in Baton Rouge. I think somebody is putting booze in Coach O's gumbo for him to want Canada to leave.

Everything I read about their coaching relationship basically says that every time Canada gets to run the offense the way he wants, LSU puts up huge numbers, but that Coach O doesn't like the offense that Canada wants to run. Seriously, Coach O?

However, Canada was also let go at NC State after putting up crazy numbers with less talent at NC State. I didn't really find a whole lot of information about the split between him and Doeren, but the history of splits makes me wonder if he's hard to work with. I'm not sure so I don't want to make assumptions.

Anyways, I would be THRILLED to land Canada as our OC. I'm wondering if he's been contacted by our guys yet, but what do y'all think about Matt Canada, if anything? Any additional information that anybody can add?
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107299638593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: Matt Canada

I was just coming to make a thread about Canada. He was the hottest OC out there last year. Something weird is going on that LSU is passing him out this soon, but I would LOVE to get him as OC
Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'd take Drinkwitz over him.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Drinkwitz? You serious, Clark?

I've posted this stuff in the OC thread, but I don't see any red flags with Canada other than an inability to work with Orgeron (which, in my mind, is a strong positive) and an inexplicable firing from NC State.

The only problem is we're likely going to be outbid for him and may only get 2 seasons or so if he's successful before he jumps at a HC gig, but I'm cool with it.

Serious question--why would Canada not be at the top of the list?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Asked that question of a friend of mine who is a Pack fan when it happened. He said one of the big things was that Jacoby Brissett did not seem develop year 1 to year 2 under Canada. He also said there seemed to be a lot of games where they would look back and say, "Wow that was working, why didn't we do it more." Similar to complaints about Roper honestly. He also said when things were going well he would often call a trick play that was just ill timed and hurt momentum. He biggest gripe, when things weren't going well he seemed completely unable to adjust.

He seems to have had a lot of success, but he had issues with Bielema at Wisconsin, Doeren at NC State, and now apparently Coach O. That is something Muschamp would surely look at knowing the importance of this hire.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 5236
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

We don’t need any Canadians! This is America! Lol jk
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

We should certainly entertain this, at the very least.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Asked that question of a friend of mine who is a Pack fan when it happened. He said one of the big things was that Jacoby Brissett did not seem develop year 1 to year 2 under Canada. He also said there seemed to be a lot of games where they would look back and say, "Wow that was working, why didn't we do it more." Similar to complaints about Roper honestly. He also said when things were going well he would often call a trick play that was just ill timed and hurt momentum. He biggest gripe, when things weren't going well he seemed completely unable to adjust.

He seems to have had a lot of success, but he had issues with Bielema at Wisconsin, Doeren at NC State, and now apparently Coach O. That is something Muschamp would surely look at knowing the importance of this hire.
Interesting. The Brissett issue would make sense I suppose, but I still think Doeren may have fired him a little early considering they were very successful. I think the Coach O and Bielema issues might just stem from differing philosophies.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
TaySC
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
TaySC
Bowl MVP

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post

Yeah, I can't remember who said it on the radio, but it seems like this guy is hard to get along with and possibly a team cancer.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #11
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4400000100
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.
Canada is currently talked about as one of the 5 top OCs in football.
He has a few drawbacks that are keeping him from being a HC candidate, but I dont want him as a HC.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #12
TaySC
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.
Canada is currently talked about as one of the 5 top OCs in football.
He has a few drawbacks that are keeping him from being a HC candidate, but I dont want him as a HC.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
davidwatson249
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 490
davidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Drinkwitz? You serious, Clark?

I've posted this stuff in the OC thread, but I don't see any red flags with Canada other than an inability to work with Orgeron (which, in my mind, is a strong positive) and an inexplicable firing from NC State.

The only problem is we're likely going to be outbid for him and may only get 2 seasons or so if he's successful before he jumps at a HC gig, but I'm cool with it.

Serious question--why would Canada not be at the top of the list?
Because two head coaches have asked him to move on in less than 5 years.

David Watson
(803) 359-0026
www.bluelakeins.com

davidwatson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatson249 View Post
Drinkwitz just hung 52 and almost 500...wonderfully balanced...yards on ASU...just like he did against us AND Clemson...AND...everyone loves him...his players...fellow coaches...boss and administration.

Hell, even his classmates love him...Drinkwitz was the Student Body President at both his High School and College.

Canada on the other hand keeps putting up less yards and points and has been fired twice in four years.

Its almost as if just because people have heard his name before they believe he is the better coach...and that's it. If you look at the numbers and real world job experience I'm not sure why anyone views him as being better than Drinkwitz.

Last edited by LBC; 12-30-2017 at 12:15 PM..
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
gamecockjay
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5200
gamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot material

You can say what you want about Canada but that 2016 Pitt team was on fire the last 6 or 7 games and scored over 40 to win at clemson and had them off balance the entire night. The hung over 70 on Syracuse granted it’s Syracuse but 70 is a ton of points against anyone.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 5236
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Drinkwitz please
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8999501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

I'm starting to like the Drinkiwits idea there is a reason our QB of the future wanted to play for him.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
BringBackGarcia
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talonsBringBackGarcia has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatson249 View Post
Orgeron who's an idiot and NC State which was out of the blue.

I just think looking at the body of work--Canada has done it at multiple schools with multiple QBs and never really had the chance to bring in 'his guys'. Drinkwitz came from a short stent at Boise St (The same place where Muschamp plucked the winner of Brent Pease) and took his QB with him and has done things at NC State for a season. He's had two years of OC experience.

Here's the thing with me, I don't think Muschamp should be looking for a 5 year hire kind of guy. He needs a guy to produce in 1-2 years max. Even if Canada is grating and wears out his welcome in 3 years, if we have the same offense as he did at NC State or Pitt and we have a T-Rob/Muschamp defense, we're in Atlanta.

I don't know what the right decision is, but in my opinion, I'd take a chance that Canada's an a-hole who's hard to deal with but has shown results over a longer period of time than a OC who's coached 24 games or so with one QB.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
You can say what you want about Canada but that 2016 Pitt team was on fire the last 6 or 7 games and scored over 40 to win at clemson and had them off balance the entire night. The hung over 70 on Syracuse granted it’s Syracuse but 70 is a ton of points against anyone.
I must admit I keep ignoring his one year at Pitt...but that also adds yet another job...four in four years...fired twice... just does not make me feel good about some part of his make-up.

2011 - N. Illinois
2012 - Wisconsin
2013-15 - NC State...Fired
2016 - Pitt
2017 - LSU...Fired
2018 - ?

6 jobs in 8 years...7 in 9 if you count his last year at Indiana...just seems like a lot of jobs for someone who is supposed to be a 'top 5' coach of any kind.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote