CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
rt3891
MountainCock
Three and Out
Order 66
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
gotrice?
Pats - Jags Game Fix (1358)
South Carolina Gamec (937)
Football Recruiting (720)
Breaking down the Ga (581)
All (half) Decade te (480)
I had a dream last n (403)
2018 Spring Scrimmag (271)
2021 - Quenton Barne (205)
2018 SEC Pre-Spring (204)
ROKU (111)
2018 Spring Scrimmages
Stephen Gilmore
PODCAST: The Spurs Up Sho
Football Recruiting - Top
How Many 247- 4 Stars in
The 2018 Big Dance Thread
What does Frank need for
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
Pats - Jags Game Fixed Co
Breaking down the Gamecoc

Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 1
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Great Idea from Lavar Ball

BREAKING: LaVar Ball Launches League That Will Pay Top HS Prospects Up to $10K Per Month & Serve As An Alternative to College

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: Great Idea from Lavar Ball

Solves the one and done problem
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I got to hand it to him. I think this has a chance to make the man millions.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPit

And this was the day that the Calipari empire fell. But I do think this will level the playing field if it works. While I do not like Lavar's mouth I do think this is a good idea, I don't think the NBA would ever change the rule to allow players out of high school to go straight to the league
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Interesting. One and one rule is dumb dumb dumb.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Solves the one and done problem
At first I was automatically turned off to the idea simply because of the person behind it, but the more I thought about it...well, it may just be crazy enough to work.

For these players, $120K for the year or two they spend in that league can be a big deal as a lot of them:

1) come from struggling homes.

2) know college would be a year of them having to balance classes and being under the NCAA's thumb against any type of revenue the NCAA can't dip into.

3) know (think) they are good enough to make it to the NBA just by the fact they are among the nation's top recruits (the point about the player having to be ranked is a clever addition by Ball) so those that would have go overseas for a year or two can now stay stateside.

P.S. - this is also a move to bring his two kids back to the states to play

He has created his own shoe brand and is now creating his own league. Watch him closely.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
I got to hand it to him. I think this has a chance to make the man millions.
Oh yeah. He is worth $4 million currently and I am sure he gets a percentage of his sons' income but this could push him to the billions in a decade if it works.

I wonder though if the NBA will try to blackball some of these players that try this route? My gut tells me that if they have a guy like Brandon Jennings or a giant with measurable through the roof, they will draft him when eligible regardless of whether he is from the and1 league, overseas, college, or another sport altogether.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
Oh yeah. He is worth $4 million currently and I am sure he gets a percentage of his sons' income but this could push him to the billions in a decade if it works.
I imagine the NCAA will consider paying athletes if they see Lavar making Bank, What is Lavar's real occupation other than being a Dad?
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
I imagine the NCAA will consider paying athletes if they see Lavar making Bank, What is Lavar's real occupation other than being a Dad?
http://www.businessinsider.com/lavar...d-rise-2017-11

NFL practice squads then manager for his sons.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
At first I was automatically turned off to the idea simply because of the person behind it, but the more I thought about it...well, it may just be crazy enough to work.

For these players, $120K for the year or two they spend in that league can be a big deal as a lot of them:

1) come from struggling homes.

2) know college would be a year of them having to balance classes and being under the NCAA's thumb against any type of revenue the NCAA can't dip into.

3) know (think) they are good enough to make it to the NBA just by the fact they are among the nation's top recruits (the point about the player having to be ranked is a clever addition by Ball) so those that would have go overseas for a year or two can now stay stateside.

P.S. - this is also a move to bring his two kids back to the states to play

He has created his own shoe brand and is now creating his own league. Watch him closely.

I think this would be a good thing but I just don't see how it works.

Based on what he's said I think they're looking at about 6+ million a year in pay for the players. They still have to pay coaches, rent out venues (he said he wants NBA venues), training staffs for injuries and such, etc. How are they going to outbid the NCAA or NBA for the best coaches? How are they going to get asses in the seat to pay for all this? There's no way the quality of play will be better than existing developmental leagues, and those don't come close to competing with college ball.

Lets be real here. Let's say you're a top 100 bball recruit. You can go anywhere you want.

1. Do we really think these guys aren't getting paid? Between whatever boosters are funneling them and everything they legally get from the schools, will you really be better off playing for the BBB league?
2. We've talked a lot about how clothing brands matter to recruits, recruits want to wear Nike, etc. You want to go wear Nike like Lebron or Under Armour like Curry, or do you want to go wear BBB?
3. Let's look at facilities. Think about the facilities top programs are building. The S&C, nutrition, medical, etc programs that colleges have. Are you going to be more impressed by a multi-million dollar facility designed to make you the best basketball player or negotiating a deal with Lavar Ball in a strip mall next to Papa Johns?
4. Exposure? How many household names are playing on any minor league team? How many are playing in college. You think you'll do better to ink some shoe deal with BBB out of high school, or do you go play at UK for a year and sign a million dollar deal with Nike after you leave school?
5. As mentioned, coaches. The best coaches will still be in the NBA and in college. You want a second rate coach getting you ready for the NBA?
6. What's your family going to say? Some might see that check, but some might realize that if you don't make the NBA you're going to be sitting high and dry when the Big Baller league casts you out and you're now ineligible for a Bball scholarship. I think for some of these families this is also their chance to have their first college grad and that matters to a lot of people.

I say best case scenario Lavar convinces a bunch of second rate players to go play bad basketball and maybe boosters have to increase the budget for basketball recruits. The league won't last 5 years if it ever even gets off the ground, and if it beats that expectation it's only because he's desperately sinking money into it, and he'll lose the shirt off his back by the time it's all said and done.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Yep, nice idea but it will never work
Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I think this would be a good thing but I just don't see how it works.

Based on what he's said I think they're looking at about 6+ million a year in pay for the players. They still have to pay coaches, rent out venues (he said he wants NBA venues), training staffs for injuries and such, etc. How are they going to outbid the NCAA or NBA for the best coaches? How are they going to get asses in the seat to pay for all this? There's no way the quality of play will be better than existing developmental leagues, and those don't come close to competing with college ball.

Lets be real here. Let's say you're a top 100 bball recruit. You can go anywhere you want.

1. Do we really think these guys aren't getting paid? Between whatever boosters are funneling them and everything they legally get from the schools, will you really be better off playing for the BBB league?
2. We've talked a lot about how clothing brands matter to recruits, recruits want to wear Nike, etc. You want to go wear Nike like Lebron or Under Armour like Curry, or do you want to go wear BBB?
3. Let's look at facilities. Think about the facilities top programs are building. The S&C, nutrition, medical, etc programs that colleges have. Are you going to be more impressed by a multi-million dollar facility designed to make you the best basketball player or negotiating a deal with Lavar Ball in a strip mall next to Papa Johns?
4. Exposure? How many household names are playing on any minor league team? How many are playing in college. You think you'll do better to ink some shoe deal with BBB out of high school, or do you go play at UK for a year and sign a million dollar deal with Nike after you leave school?
5. As mentioned, coaches. The best coaches will still be in the NBA and in college. You want a second rate coach getting you ready for the NBA?
6. What's your family going to say? Some might see that check, but some might realize that if you don't make the NBA you're going to be sitting high and dry when the Big Baller league casts you out and you're now ineligible for a Bball scholarship. I think for some of these families this is also their chance to have their first college grad and that matters to a lot of people.

I say best case scenario Lavar convinces a bunch of second rate players to go play bad basketball and maybe boosters have to increase the budget for basketball recruits. The league won't last 5 years if it ever even gets off the ground, and if it beats that expectation it's only because he's desperately sinking money into it, and he'll lose the shirt off his back by the time it's all said and done.
These are all very valid points. It will be hard to pull the very top guys. You may find guys who are fantastic players but may not be interested in college because of their academics or the colleges may be turned off to them do to their off the field concerns this can include everything from past legal troubles to simply injury concerns from their past.

The money to fund this league may be the easiest factor as their are venture capitalists, NBA players who are very much against the one and done, tv contracts and even revenue from the games.

The biggest issue, one you touched on, is fan interest. The irony there is that it is hard to draw loyal fans to teams full of player who will only be with a team for a year. I mean just look at how much interest our own Gamecocks have filling college seats with the large amount of turnover our roster had. If (BIG IF) fan interest is important to the sustainability of this league in the short term (10years) then this league will not last. They CANNOT build this league of a necessity to fill nba-sized arenas PRIOR to this league getting the players that colleges can expect to sign on a yearly basis. They also cannot set themselves up to compete against the NBA because the NBA will destroy them. This league will have to work WITH the NBA and with the shoe companies in order for this to be a success. To that end, can you set up teams almost like AAUs have them set up (according in large part to shoe brands so you would have Nike teams competing against Reebok teams against UA teams against BBB teams against Adidas team).

I do not think this idea is a dead fish yet and there are realistic ways to make it work

Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

There are ways to make it work potentially, but are the guys in charge savvy enough to pull it off? I doubt it.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

the NBA would have to finance it and call it Minor League basketball
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
scfanz
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Why would the Kentucky, Kansas & North Carolina recruits take a pay cut?
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #16
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Nobody will watch this.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #17
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

A lot of things sound good til you get down to logistics. Too many factors to be successful imo
Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 93200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

It'll fail very quickly.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #19
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Nobody will watch this.
^^THIS.

I don't think it would work on its own because the players would be unknowns rather than having ties to college fan bases.

It would be better for the NBA to expand the D/G league to a full season and have try-outs for a limited number of walk-ons with no college playing experience.

Nobody will watch unknowns play for teams with no ties to NBA or college teams.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 AM   #20
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I am not saying it will be extremely popular, but if its only playing players $10,000 a month it will make money. Future NBA stars will be playing in this league, and he will get sponsorship as the fans of NBA teams will be interested in the top prospects. The reason why the D league is no good, is because the NBA doesn't really care about it. They don't really do any marketing for it and Lavar Balll would. The D League is for guys that can't make an NBA roster. A lot of guys in this league will. The only reason they aren't is they aren't one year out of high school.

Last edited by EAtMoRTaYtErz; 12-21-2017 at 01:21 AM..
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote