CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockinraleigh
gotrice?
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
CockNJersey
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
USCharleston2
Blitzkrieg
GamecockUltimate
What do you need to (1240)
Qb's under pressure (931)
Garnet helmets and j (900)
Jake Bentley analysi (583)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (505)
Arkansas Kick Time (435)
Week 4 College Footb (283)
Fall Softball 2017 (163)
2017 Gamecock Baseba (120)
PODCAST: Game Previe (118)
Week 4 College Football F
Offensive Thoughts
Nebraska Fired Shawn Eich
2018 Commitment - Marlon
Gameday Guide: Louisiana
Running game analysis thr
Arkansas Kick Time
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Wofford Tickets
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TECH @ S

Old 07-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: "One of best receiving corps in country"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I'm expecting a lot from Edwards this year. By the time he leaves the program you won't recognize him from when he got here. He might've matured more physically from one year to the next than any WR I've seen at SC.
I would describe myself as cautiously (very) optimistic about Edwards. I was so excited after Shaq's rookie year and we all know what a let down that turned out to be. I've seen stuff thrown around on the board but I'm not sure of the extent of the issues that hampered Shaq's career and I don't want to imply that Edwards has any of the same ones. You just never know what can happen. I just want to see him become the next big receiver for us before I lay those expectations on him.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

To be fair, Shaq and Bryan's freshman years are not comparable. They are also very different style receivers.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #23
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

There is a lot to like about our receiving corp. Edwards and Samuel might end up being the best tandem in the conference when its all said and done. Rand Davis showed flashes before he got hurt last year. Chavis Dawkins was a pleasant surprise. Googer always seems to catch whats thrown to him but doesn't get many looks for whatever reason. He works hard though and is a good blocker. This is a big year for Korey Banks. He was a Summer 7 on 7 and Fall Camp All-American last year but didn't get many opportunities during the season. We need him to blow the top of the defense this year.

Anything we get from Shi, OrTre, and Chad is gravy this year, IMO. I'm not sure they are going to get many opportunities outside of special situations. Samuel, Edwards, Davis, Dawkins, and Banks should get most of the reps along with Hurst, Crosby, Pollard, Markway, August, and Hinson at the TE spot.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #24
garnet&black1998rn
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 900
garnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
The taters have posted this thread over on tigernet acting like our fan base is delusional. I can post link after link from multiple neutral sites stating that we have one of the best returning wr Corp in the country.... From espn to bleacher report.
Why do we as gamecocks GAS about what taterheads say or think? Those fools are still amazed with electric lights and milking machines. Delusional is the moo u mantra.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn View Post
Why do we as gamecocks GAS about what taterheads say or think? Those fools are still amazed with electric lights and milking machines. Delusional is the moo u mantra.
It hits close to home for the Taters - they have consistently been strong at WR and QB because of their wide-open offensive schemes, and they can't stand the thought that we have caught them, or are even close.

They still have a really nice WR group, with some talented new guys. But we are potentially right there with them, and currently have the edge at the other skill positions - QB (with the starter at least, they have more talented back-ups), TE (starter and back-ups) and RB (starter and back-ups - although Ty'Son has to show it on the field).

They are in for a rude awakening in 2017.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #26
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

The WRs will get a lot of help from our RBs also. We should be very good with what we have back their with Dowdle and Williams. Those two will be able to run the ball for sure. No more sitting back and waiting for us to throw because we have no running backs...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #27
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Between the solid stable of running backs and what has the potential to be an outstanding group of WR's this offense could put up some huge numbers. I think it comes down to play calling, now that the skills players have had a season, and a full off season to work together, I look to see roper open up the play book.

If this offense is as good as some are claiming it will be, it will not go unnoticed by recruits. They want to put up big numbers, that's why they flock to schools like Clemson who have a wide open offense. If recruits can see that they have the chance to put up big numbers and play in the SEC, some of those instate recruiting battles might get interesting.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #28
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Between the solid stable of running backs and what has the potential to be an outstanding group of WR's this offense could put up some huge numbers. I think it comes down to play calling, now that the skills players have had a season, and a full off season to work together, I look to see roper open up the play book.

If this offense is as good as some are claiming it will be, it will not go unnoticed by recruits. They want to put up big numbers, that's why they flock to schools like Clemson who have a wide open offense. If recruits can see that they have the chance to put up big numbers and play in the SEC, some of those instate recruiting battles might get interesting.
...Yep, we have some very nice skill players but like it has been said in here a 100 times. Its all going to depend on how much the Oline improves. Simple as that in my book. I know Wolfie will make some good changes and his guys will know what to do. I just wonder if the talent is there after the 1 string guys.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #29
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062293326235
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I'm expecting a lot from Edwards this year. By the time he leaves the program you won't recognize him from when he got here. He might've matured more physically from one year to the next than any WR I've seen at SC.
If he is anything close to Alshon Jeffery, which I believe he is I will be happy.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #30
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
...Yep, we have some very nice skill players but like it has been said in here a 100 times. Its all going to depend on how much the Oline improves. Simple as that in my book. I know Wolfie will make some good changes and his guys will know what to do. I just wonder if the talent is there after the 1 string guys.
I think if they can put out a "middle of the road" O-line, and Jake can get a little bit quicker with his reads, the offense will be OK. They just need to be able to block for 2-3 seconds and get the ball out in that time frame. The skill at RB should help as well as Defenders will be forced to account for the RB as well.

But I agree, it is a big old question mark and that unit will make or break the offense.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #31
Three and Out
Game MVP

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Who the F cares what kind of nonsense they post over on taternet.
Apparently a bunch of people on here
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #32
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
I think if they can put out a "middle of the road" O-line, and Jake can get a little bit quicker with his reads, the offense will be OK. They just need to be able to block for 2-3 seconds and get the ball out in that time frame. The skill at RB should help as well as Defenders will be forced to account for the RB as well.

But I agree, it is a big old question mark and that unit will make or break the offense.
..Yep, I betcha we see some play action pass plays this year also. Bentz is tall enough to run those plays and see the field and the RBs are more than capable to tote the bread. Our Oline was not terrible at times last year and showed signs they could block every now and then. But when they looked bad they looked very bad. Whiffed blocks and missed assignments would come up in crucial times of a lot of games.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #33
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
..Yep, I betcha we see some play action pass plays this year also. Bentz is tall enough to run those plays and see the field and the RBs are more than capable to tote the bread. Our Oline was not terrible at times last year and showed signs they could block every now and then. But when they looked bad they looked very bad. Whiffed blocks and missed assignments would come up in crucial times of a lot of games.
Hopefully lots of screens and draws as well.

If we can get some pulling and trapping going on I will be ecstatic, but I am not sure if that is really the type of blocking scheme they are going for.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #34
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Geez, a guy writes a positive article and we still have to find something to complain about.
See I knew it was a matter of time before Ironfan start rubbing off on other posters.
sosfan812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #35
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Cue Ace's take on the Oline.
sosfan812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #36
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Hopefully lots of screens and draws as well.

If we can get some pulling and trapping going on I will be ecstatic, but I am not sure if that is really the type of blocking scheme they are going for.
..Kind of my thinking, but with the talent at WR and RB along with a good slot reciever I think we have to see that some. If there was any real problem with our WRs it was their blocking. You have to have blocking from your WRs for the screens, traps and draws to work. I hate to say it, but if you look at the teams that had really good offenses lately, their WR really block well. klempzun was probably the best at it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Cue Ace's take on the Oline.
..Ehh, I kind of understand what he is doing. He is defending his guys and we were not as bad on the Oline as some folks want to make out. But, our Oline made a lot of crazy mistakes at the most unopportune time and it killed us against Flawda and Jawja. Whiffed blocks and wrong blocks happend frequently and that has to stop.
I do believe we will be ok with our starting front, but the relief players is where the tale will be told. I do think you will see more 2 TE sets this year just because of our running back tandem.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #38
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Heavy sigh.

The good news is that if our season depends on the play of the O Line, we are set for the East title and double digit wins. If it depends on major improvement, I am not sure we will get that - they were pretty decent last year. But they will be improved - we have too much talent and experience (8th in returning starts) coming back to think otherwise.

You can play the First Team the entire game, or at least 95% of the time, so the Second Team does not matter that much. And we actually have a pretty good Second Team - right now I would guess Bailey, Stanley, Helms, Knott and Young on the First Team, with Park, Hutcherson, Camper, Farrell and Pellage on the Second Team. That is pretty strong, plus we have Derouen and Daley waiting in the wings if someone gets hurt. Not too shabby.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #39
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
To be fair, Shaq and Bryan's freshman years are not comparable. They are also very different style receivers.
This is true. Looking at stats I think I was actually thinking of his Sophomore year when he had some huge catches at the end of the year and turned in a good performance in the bowl game. Then his next year dropped off in stats a bit and then disappeared. His true freshman year was pretty much forgettable, so I forgot it.

Edwards after year 1 is 12 receptions off of Roland's career totals. Over halfway in terms of yardage and almost halfway for TDs. We definitely have a lot of reason to be optimistic, and I am, I just don't want to wind up disappointed if he doesn't turn out to be Alshon 2.0.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #40
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Heavy sigh.

The good news is that if our season depends on the play of the O Line, we are set for the East title and double digit wins. If it depends on major improvement, I am not sure we will get that - they were pretty decent last year. But they will be improved - we have too much talent and experience (8th in returning starts) coming back to think otherwise.

You can play the First Team the entire game, or at least 95% of the time, so the Second Team does not matter that much. And we actually have a pretty good Second Team - right now I would guess Bailey, Stanley, Helms, Knott and Young on the First Team, with Park, Hutcherson, Camper, Farrell and Pellage on the Second Team. That is pretty strong, plus we have Derouen and Daley waiting in the wings if someone gets hurt. Not too shabby.
..I like our starters and 8 deep. Problem is they got there butts pushed around a lot last year. In September you aint running your starters out there for 95% of the game. NO way you can do that. I will say the guys we have in the fold right now can be a nice nucleus of linemen and with Wolfie back coaching them I expect a much improved unit.