CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockinraleigh
gotrice?
CockNJersey
RGHoskins
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
USCharleston2
JerseyBird
Blitzkrieg
GamecockUltimate
What do you need to (1211)
Qb's under pressure (865)
Garnet helmets and j (827)
Jake Bentley analysi (525)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (470)
Arkansas Kick Time (376)
Week 4 College Footb (253)
***Ace Of Spades - M (165)
***Wildfire - Equest (158)
Fall Softball 2017 (153)
Crowd Against La Tech
Qb's under pressure SEC
Garnet helmets and jersey
Name a Gamecock
2017 High School Football
2018 Commitment - RJ Rode
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
Jake Bentley analysis

Old 07-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #41
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Preseason Defensive Depth Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrena View Post
This was the depth chart that SC published in the Media Guide not one that the author created.
The point being that someone that has not even stepped foot on campus - like Nixon - is not going to be listed ahead of players that went through Spring practice. The chart can, and will, change a lot before the season starts.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #42
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Neat.

I take from this that hale, the author, likes these players. I don't know anything about the guy, but I'm imagining as tight as muschamp is about depth, he has little more info than the cockytalk posters.
he states in the article that this is his guess and you are definitely right about muschamp and the depth chart. i want to say last year they released the depth charter for the opener vs vandy and it didnt change all year.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #43
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Preseason Offensive Depth Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Did Kobe Smith lose a bunch of weight?

Ulric Jones at 6'5, 312 should be a load in the middle if he can maintain leverage.
kobe was listed at 297 in the spring.
dante sawyer +10 to 275.
the te's all put on at least 5 pounds cept hurst who dropped a couple to 250.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #44
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
he states in the article that this is his guess and you are definitely right about muschamp and the depth chart. i want to say last year they released the depth charter for the opener vs vandy and it didnt change all year.
And in some cases, the ones and twos rotate enough that they are basically co-starters. I noticed the RB chart shows all 3 guys co-starting.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #45
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

In this thread there is an initial link to the speculative depth chart from an seccountry writer. A few hours later the actual preseason depth chart was released to the media by the athletics department and was shared in another article on seccountry, linked in this thread.

Muschamp had previously down played the importance of preseason depth charts. I think pretty much every coach does that.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #46
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I thought that is how they exited the spring. Fenton got a lot of run in the spring game, if memory serves. Seems like all three are basically starters since we run nickel so much and with subbing in the "base".

I agree gotrice, I love Montac and he was a great get and positive surprise but would love to see someone with a few more physical tools take over. I just see Montac as a more of a depth guy on a good SEC defense.

Kobe got some good snaps in the bowl game, right?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #47
Strickland Propane
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Strickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Maybe to light fires under some asses?
Maybe Lammons is getting the David Williams treatment. Hopefully he responds better than Williams did.
Strickland Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #48
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
In this thread there is an initial link to the speculative depth chart from an seccountry writer. A few hours later the actual preseason depth chart was released to the media by the athletics department and was shared in another article on seccountry, linked in this thread.

Muschamp had previously down played the importance of preseason depth charts. I think pretty much every coach does that.
My bad. Just clicked the initial link and went to that dude's article.

The only thing that stands out to me is there is a lot of experience on the defensive line, which may not be a positive. The LBs are talented and just as precarious as I thought. And the secondary is equally as thin.

I hope some freshman can step on and move up or at least provide some depth. One or two injuries and we may be epically bad.

However, if I were to pick which side of the ball needed to be developed under Muschamp and co., it would be the defense. Offensively, the talent is there, and with a new O line coach, I expect to see some vast improvement.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #49
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
My bad. Just clicked the initial link and went to that dude's article.

The only thing that stands out to me is there is a lot of experience on the defensive line, which may not be a positive. The LBs are talented and just as precarious as I thought. And the secondary is equally as thin.

I hope some freshman can step on and move up or at least provide some depth. One or two injuries and we may be epically bad.

However, if I were to pick which side of the ball needed to be developed under Muschamp and co., it would be the defense. Offensively, the talent is there, and with a new O line coach, I expect to see some vast improvement.
Old school Carolina thought: The offense will underachieve and the defense will over achieve. But this is the NEW GAMECOCK ERA...It's Great to be a Gamecock
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #50
sully1
Blue Chip

Male

sully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talons

I honestly think we will be fine on defense everywhere but DL. I think we are going to be fine in the secondary with the guys returning that played the majority of last year and with the new guys coming in.

In regards to the DL, they are going to have to show marked improvement for me to believe we can do anything to stop the run or create pressure with the current guys on the team. I think Kinlaw will help with the run some up the middle but still don't see a pass rush and have very little faith in the guys returning from last year.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #51
sully1
Blue Chip

Male

sully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talons

I thought Lammons was the better of the two last year between he and Fenton but the disparity between the two was very minimal. More dedication to the weight room and just a little improvement and I can see how Fenton could make the leap.

In regards to Montac, he showed up on campus right before the season last year and actually did a good job to contribute as much as he did. With an entire offseason and coaching from Muschamp and T-Rob, this really doesn't surprise me. If there is one position on defense that I trust the coaching it is the secondary. I know we had our moments but without that coaching last year we would have won only another 3 games and our secondary would have been swiss cheese.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #52
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Old school Carolina thought: The offense will underachieve and the defense will over achieve. But this is the NEW GAMECOCK ERA...It's Great to be a Gamecock
Dude, I wish I had that optimism.

All I know, you ask me to lay down 1000$ bet on which side of the ball this coaching staff would improve most between year 1 to 2, I would double down on defense.

Roper and Mushamp's ability to manage and intervene on the offense is still the biggest question mark over the next 2-3 seasons. I think he did a great job last season making the tough call to start Bentley, but thus far I'm not sold on Roper.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #53
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
I honestly think we will be fine on defense everywhere but DL. I think we are going to be fine in the secondary with the guys returning that played the majority of last year and with the new guys coming in.

In regards to the DL, they are going to have to show marked improvement for me to believe we can do anything to stop the run or create pressure with the current guys on the team. I think Kinlaw will help with the run some up the middle but still don't see a pass rush and have very little faith in the guys returning from last year.
I think stallworth, kinlaw, and jones are likely to be ok/good. I think Kier Thomas is going to be real good and Dante Sawyer was pretty good his first season at Carolina, so hopefully he was just injured and can play ball somewhat on the level with his juco hype.

I just hope a froshie or someone can really impact the buck. I know those two guys are overachievers for where they were rated, but still. I think muschamp can get some pressure with skai and BAW if he has to.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #54
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I think stallworth, kinlaw, and jones are likely to be ok/good. I think Kier Thomas is going to be real good and Dante Sawyer was pretty good his first season at Carolina, so hopefully he was just injured and can play ball somewhat on the level with his juco hype.

I just hope a froshie or someone can really impact the buck. I know those two guys are overachievers for where they were rated, but still. I think muschamp can get some pressure with skai and BAW if he has to.
Don't forget Wonnum 6'4" 248 BEAST
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #55
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Dowdle switching to #5. I like it.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #56
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm pretty sure the depth chart (official) will change a lot once the new guys get through camp. There won't likely be so many starters listed as backup at another slot. Now we are thin at some positions and razor-thin at linebacker.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 07-10-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #57
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Dowdle switching to #5. I like it.
I'm sure Dowdle is a Paul Hornung fan!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #58
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Yeah and to be honest you're probably going to bring Dickerson along a bit and not put him running with the ones from the first snap over guys who have played in actual games before.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #59
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Don't forget Wonnum 6'4" 248 BEAST

Yeah I mean I hope so, but its not like its on film or anything. Even in the spring game or bowl, I don't remember him flashing. Dante Fowler was at like 260 I think, his senior season, so I guess he's tracking as far as size.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #60
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Dont be surprised that Blackshear will be the starter. The kid is finally healthy and has plenty of coaching in the last 12 months to go along with his work ethics in the weight room.