CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
Master Bedroom
carolina_corpsman
2k15
RGHoskins
TastyLicks
2000grad
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Spur's Addiction
College Station? (878)
Charges revealed for (874)
FBI Charges of Fraud (654)
Arkansas Kickoff Tim (635)
Ryan Succop on NFL r (618)
10 point Underdogs (462)
Coach arrests? (228)
FBI Charges of Fraud (207)
SC vs La Tech 1st Ha (152)
Aaron Judge sets new (135)
FBI Charges of Fraud &
SC vs La Tech 1st Half of
Our chances against aTm
Cack's Toast of the Game
Today's Weekly Presser w/
Charges revealed for susp
Arkansas Kickoff Time
10 point Underdogs
2018 WBB - Christyn Willi
2018 Commitment - Marlon

Old 07-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 201000
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material
Default 2017: 4th in the East

For all you prediction junkies

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...-East-99226548
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2017: 4th in the East

We are going to steamroll Florida this year. I'm sorry but Butterteeth doesn't have a QB and there is no way in hell he has recruited well enough to make up for Muschamp's talent leaving.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
We are going to steamroll Florida this year. I'm sorry but Butterteeth doesn't have a QB and there is no way in hell he has recruited well enough to make up for Muschamp's talent leaving.
Jury is out still for me. To many unknowns for me to make that judgment. My heart wants to agree, but my head ...
Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

If only the pieces are in place for an improved defense........
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
If only the pieces are in place for an improved defense........
How do you know they aren't? This is essentially the same nucleus of players from last year with more experience, another year in the S&C program, and another year being developed by the coaches. PLUS there is talented, albeit young, reinforcements enrolled into the program. Oh and lets not forget that our best player is back.

I don't understand the hand wringing over the defense right now. CWM got rid of the ones that couldn't play, were cancers, or didn't want to be here.

We are going to be one of the top T/O Margin teams in the SEC again, we will be better against the run, and we will piece together a pass rush.

I will be very surprised if this is a defense that finishes in the 60's for Total Defense.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Lucky
Banned?

Male

CockyCash: 1750
Lucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Florida has won the east the past two seasons. You can talk smack about Butterteeth all you want, but the Gators ran us off the field last year... Fourth sounds about right to me. I think Georgia wins it, Florida finishes second, and either us or Tennessee will be third.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
cjerickson
5th Year Transfer

Male

CockyCash: 456
cjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudly

Quote:
How do you know they aren't? This is essentially the same nucleus of players from last year with more experience, another year in the S&C program, and another year being developed by the coaches. PLUS there is talented, albeit young, reinforcements enrolled into the program. Oh and lets not forget that our best player is back.

I don't understand the hand wringing over the defense right now. CWM got rid of the ones that couldn't play, were cancers, or didn't want to be here.

We are going to be one of the top T/O Margin teams in the SEC again, we will be better against the run, and we will piece together a pass rush.

I will be very surprised if this is a defense that finishes in the 60's for Total Defense.
I think we are going to do a lot of blitzing to overcome a mediocre pass rush. If our DBs can avoid busted coverages and tackle well then our defense should exceed expectations.

The thing I'm most worried about is King's tackling, specifically being able to take on a screen or a run to the outside. There were moments last year where he had no interest in even attempting to tackle.
cjerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Beat Kentucky!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Florida has won the east the past two seasons. You can talk smack about Butterteeth all you want, but the Gators ran us off the field last year... Fourth sounds about right to me. I think Georgia wins it, Florida finishes second, and either us or Tennessee will be third.
20-7 is not running off the field. Their defense, chalked full of Will Muschamp recruited NFL players, flexed their muscles but their offense was TERRIBLE against a defense that you all are so worried about right now. Also, I see nothing that they have coming back or incoming from their recruiting classes that scares me. They are the team that you can point to as a team that should regress this year and I think we will win by at least 10 when they come to Williams-Brice.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerickson View Post
I think we are going to do a lot of blitzing to overcome a mediocre pass rush. If our DBs can avoid busted coverages and tackle well then our defense should exceed expectations.

The thing I'm most worried about is King's tackling, specifically being able to take on a screen or a run to the outside. There were moments last year where he had no interest in even attempting to tackle.
It won't be any more than what we did last year. With Skai back, BAW gets to play more freely. DJ Wonnum had a solid freshman season and by all accounts has really improved. Sawyer is in the best shape of his life. Keir Thomas is back at his home at DE after a promising freshman season. If we get ANYTHING from Brad Johnson, Shameik Blackshear, Aaron Sterling, and Javon Kinlaw in the middle then we are going to be fine.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
CoverTwo

Male

The biggest thing we have to clean up is stopping the run. If we can do that, or at least slow teams down on the ground, then Muschamp and his staff will find a way to generate a pass rush. He isn't going to sit back in a soft zone this year.

I think its also overlooked just how good we were at takeaways last season.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
The biggest thing we have to clean up is stopping the run. If we can do that, or at least slow teams down on the ground, then Muschamp and his staff will find a way to generate a pass rush. He isn't going to sit back in a soft zone this year.

BAW, Moore, King and Lammons all have a nose for the ball
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
cjerickson
5th Year Transfer

Male

CockyCash: 456
cjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudly

Quote:

I'm with you, I'm very optimistic for the team this year. I was just outlining what I think has to happen (should have included that I think it will). I'm less concerned about stopping the run between the hashes, I think Stallworth is gonna have a great year as will Sawyer.

I'm a bit of an old school football guy who values time of possession. I am concerned that if our defense is on the field too much then we could have some frustrating fourth quarters. Not sure we have the depth to overcome that.
cjerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:

Hoping Kinlaw is the answer for that
Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I think we can win the East, but I'm picking UGA 1st and USC and FL tied for 2nd.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
PalmettoCockZ71
4-Star

Male

PalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudlyPalmettoCockZ71 is crowing loudly

Georgia 1
Florida or Carolina 2
Tennessee or Kentucky
Vanderbilt
PalmettoCockZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I think we can win the East, but I'm picking UGA 1st and USC and FL tied for 2nd.

All I want is to be in the conversation when the Georgia game rolls around.

Many will chalk that up as a guaranteed loss for SC but that is a classic trap game.

UGA plays:

Florida (neutral)
SC
@Auburn.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
CoverTwo

Male

I don't expect us to be world beaters or anything this season but I do expect us to be improved on both sides of the ball. This is year 2, there has to be improvement from year 1. Everyone should be adjusted to the staff and the schemes/system by now. More talent has entered the program. The coaching staff turnover that we typically experience was minimal.

However, the thing with Coach Muschamp is that it appears that he doesn't carry any expectations for freshmen and young players in general. He wants to lean on his upperclassmen which is why he doesn't talk about the new guys very much and made a point to call out Sawyer, Stallworth, and Jones yesterday. He has said that we are 2 recruiting classes away (plus development) from being where we need to be so that is where my expectations are right now. I think he prefers to have a team that has 20+ seniors and that is what he is building up to because that means guys have been in his program for 3-4 seasons and have fully developed. Like he said yesterday, 70% of the team is still freshman and sophomores w/ only 11 Seniors.

IMO, our 2018 and 2019 teams are going to be scary good but this 2017 team has a shot at contending if things fall into place.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #19
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Good point. You know UGA should have a very good running game; UF should be good RE running too.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #20
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 640
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

We have to beat UGA between the hedges