CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
carolina_corpsman
Captain9Dragons
LeeroyJenkins
Spurticus
2k15
GamecockTaylor
gotrice?
RGHoskins
cockymac
Which Freshmen Play (821)
2020 - Kelvin " (788)
Stephen Davis Jr. (671)
Kaleb Chalmers (593)
Thoughts on Monday N (592)
Broadcasting Crew vs (572)
Is today the day it (265)
Happy Birthday HTCOC (87)
Cockytalk Practice r (0)
Cockytalk Practice report
Kaleb Chalmers
Broadcasting Crew vs. NC
Which Freshmen Play in 20
Rollcall! : NC State
Need 2 for Kentucky
Thoughts on Monday Night'
Stephen Davis Jr.
2020 - Kelvin "Peanu
Lattimore to play again..

Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #441
ChunkSnackwell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 MBB Zion Williamson (SC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I don't. I actually think clemson has a leg up in the race on us although I think he will ultimately end up at Kentucky. He wants to be able to play 1-4 in college. Most the schools recruiting him have promised him that. In an interview he says coach martin told him he would only play the 1-3 spots here because he likes to have 2 big men and that's what they've recruited for.

Hey, atleast coach Martin is honest and not lying to the kid. Have to respect that, but zion is trying to go somewhere that prepares him for the league and wants to play and get experience at as many positions as possible. It's not a huge leg up but it has sort of shifted his focus to the other schools that can offer him more in terms of learning the game and each position.

If coming down to Kentucky and UNC in my opinion. Outside of maybe Duke, I would be completely shocked if he went anywhere else.
ChunkSnackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #442
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106487138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Other than being a power with a massive amount of tradition, dominating their conference, and being an NBA factory there's no reason to be attracted to going there for a brief stop before the NBA
What I mean is that there are plenty of great programs that aren't on Lawrence Kansas
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #443
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
What I mean is that there are plenty of great programs that aren't on Lawrence Kansas
Just like there plenty of great programs that aren't in Lexington, KY or Durham, NC. If he hits it off with Bill Self then no reason to not want to go there.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #444
VBCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I don't. I actually think clemson has a leg up in the race on us although I think he will ultimately end up at Kentucky. He wants to be able to play 1-4 in college. Most the schools recruiting him have promised him that. In an interview he says coach martin told him he would only play the 1-3 spots here because he likes to have 2 big men and that's what they've recruited for.

Hey, atleast coach Martin is honest and not lying to the kid. Have to respect that, but zion is trying to go somewhere that prepares him for the league and wants to play and get experience at as many positions as possible. It's not a huge leg up but it has sort of shifted his focus to the other schools that can offer him more in terms of learning the game and each position.

If coming down to Kentucky and UNC in my opinion. Outside of maybe Duke, I would be completely shocked if he went anywhere else.

Just looking at highlight reels I figured Zion's initial college position would probably be the four.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #445
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I think the staff is moving on with the assumption that Williamson is going elsewhere....they are recruiting several Forward/Wing prospect now: Hellem, Nichols, and now Simi Shittu out of Vermont.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #446
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 8888888
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

this guy is not coming here just hope he doesn't go to kentucky

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #447
Mr. Belvedere
Blue Chip

Male

Mr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I think the staff is moving on with the assumption that Williamson is going elsewhere....they are recruiting several Forward/Wing prospect now: Hellem, Nichols, and now Simi Shittu out of Vermont.....
Why wouldn't they though? Just because they are means nothing in the case of this kid.

Mr. Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #448
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
Why wouldn't they though? Just because they are means nothing in the case of this kid.
CFM and staff are starting up recruitment on other kids who play Williamson's position very late in the process, and offering in the past 1-2 weeks. In Nichols' case they still have yet to offer, but will soon. CFM is telling them they will play the same 1-3 positions he's told Williamson. CFM had only given out 2 offers for some time for the 2018 class, to Williamson and Aaron Nesmith down in Charleston, and now several offers are all going out for prospects at Williamson's position in quick fashion. It's just reading the writing on the wall, to me.....
Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #449
Three and Out
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
CFM and staff are starting up recruitment on other kids who play Williamson's position very late in the process, and offering in the past 1-2 weeks. In Nichols' case they still have yet to offer, but will soon. CFM is telling them they will play the same 1-3 positions he's told Williamson. CFM had only given out 2 offers for some time for the 2018 class, to Williamson and Aaron Nesmith down in Charleston, and now several offers are all going out for prospects at Williamson's position in quick fashion. It's just reading the writing on the wall, to me.....
I'm not sure how much having him for one year really helps our program long term. Sometimes things like that can ruin team chemistry.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #450
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I'm not sure how much having him for one year really helps our program long term. Sometimes things like that can ruin team chemistry.
This is also true. CFM relies on strong team defense, something that usually requires some teaching time. It's very rare to find prep talent that are strong defenders and already have that "defense first" mentality, with everything being all AAU/Rec League these days with spreading out on the floor, going ISO and dribble-driving to the basket non-stop, or quickly shooting the 3s with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Martin is the Anti-Calipari in this respect - he almost needs to re-wire kids once they get into the program. A One-And-Doner won't want to deal with that, and Coach Martin recognizes it...
Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #451
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

He may not be showcased here as well as he would like to. But he would learn a great deal about the fundamentals of basketball and that will take him far in the long run.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote