CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
2k15
Rooster'srule
sandstorm2001
The Pain Train
Take-a-Knee
cocky0
GregoryHouse
Ace Dilcock
Jovaughn Gwyn is str (2103)
USC 2018 Rank The Ga (587)
Kawhi to Toronto for (548)
Gamecock Football Mi (378)
What's the Ideal Tem (359)
National Hot Dog Day (286)
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Kawhi to Toronto for Dero
Can Carolina and Tennesse
USC 2018 Rank The Games Y
2019 - Kamren McCray
2019 - Travon Walker
SEC Media Days
10 Oldest and Newest Coll
E$PN SEC preseason power

Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 - Jakai Moore

I haven't seen anything about only 2 OL spots left. However, looking at the scholarship distribution, we have a significantly higher need right now for Guards than we do for Tackles. Obviously, guys can shift on the OL, but just by the way it looks, I would think the premium is on OG's at the moment.

http://gamecockcereal.com/static-pag...ship-breakdown

We have 2 upperclassmen starting Tackles (Camper and Daley.) Young will graduate as well. Then we'll have about 10 on the roster for the following year (as of right now.) Most of them will be Jr's or Soph's.

We have 2 upperclassmen starting Guards, 1 will graduate this year and 1 may end up being drafted early (Bailey and Stanley.) After that, it's really thin at Guard, and we'll most likely move guys from Tackle to the Guard position.

We'll have a total of about 12-14 returning OL next year (also depending on Stanley and any transfers) and we have 3 OL commits now, which would take us to somewhere b/w 15-17 total OL for next year. I really don't see the risk of taking 2 more OL at all. We would end up with 17-19 OL on the roster by adding 2 more OL this cycle. IMO, you need at least 15 scholarship OL at a minimum for D1. Muschamp knows all too well what can happen to a team and a position group when the injury bug snake bites. He had that one year when he had multiple OL starting who were not scholarship players at florida.

Furthermore, we're only at 82 scholarships right now (sure, we'll give out 3 more in camp though.) We'll have 15 Sr's graduate, then 7-10 early departures/transfers...the numbers always work out.

Jakai Moore is one of the most underrated Guards and OL in this recruiting cycle. He is a people mover. McClendon is already fairly highly rated, and he's family to our OC. Looking at the numbers now, I don't see why we would turn either down. I don't want to ever see our roster with fewer than 15 scholarship OL, and hopefully the majority should not be underclassmen. Bringing in 4-5 OL every year is a good/smart thing, knowing that at least 1 will probably depart early before graduation.
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 196405
elcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
The hard part is if we only have 1 spot available is it Moore or McClendon? I know Wolf is lobbying hard for 2 more spots but if he doesn't get that extra spot he will have some tough choices.
I have heard he's got both. The key, from what I was told, is what happens in the seconday...specifically w Mccollough.

We have 16 + 2 (kicker & Belk). Add 2 OL & 3-4 DBs ...looking ar 23-24. Leave 1 open for potentially landing Crouch or get Sorrells & make room if Crouch wants in...I go w option B
Old 06-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #23
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
I have heard he's got both. The key, from what I was told, is what happens in the seconday...specifically w Mccollough.

We have 16 + 2 (kicker & Belk). Add 2 OL & 3-4 DBs ...looking ar 23-24. Leave 1 open for potentially landing Crouch or get Sorrells & make room if Crouch wants in...I go w option B
If for some reason we only get 3 DB’s, that would appear to open the door for 2 OL, Sorrell’s and save the final space.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote