CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
2k15
Rooster'srule
sandstorm2001
The Pain Train
Take-a-Knee
cocky0
GregoryHouse
Ace Dilcock
Jovaughn Gwyn is str (2103)
USC 2018 Rank The Ga (587)
Kawhi to Toronto for (548)
Gamecock Football Mi (378)
What's the Ideal Tem (359)
National Hot Dog Day (286)
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Kawhi to Toronto for Dero
Can Carolina and Tennesse
USC 2018 Rank The Games Y
2019 - Kamren McCray
2019 - Travon Walker
SEC Media Days
10 Oldest and Newest Coll
E$PN SEC preseason power

Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #61
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis Bar-B-Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
To me, the pork wasn't anything special. In fact, it was disappointing. No taste of smoke whatsoever, in fact my impression was it was cooked over gas. Almost makes me think he's doing so much volume he may be starting on wood, then finishing on gas to speed the process. Quite honestly, I've had equal pork at Dukes, which is only special because it's a buffet.

I did see some ribs a few people had, the ribs looked fantastic. I'll give him a second chance and try ribs next time.
They have large open windows into the room where they smoke the pigs. Would be pretty tough to hide if they were firing everything over propane.

They let their wood burn down to embers before it goes under the pig, so I think that's why you don't get a very pronounced smoke flavor.

Their ribs are better than their Q in my opinion. Definitely give em a try.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Hank would be correct. Chopped is more North Carolina than South Carolina. North Carolina is chopped with East Coast being more Vinegar based and West being more Ketchup based.

The problem is, South Carolina basically ditched its BBQ heritage so long ago that nobody really knows what it was/is anymore. Now that BBQ is "cool" we run out with all these slogans about "Birthplace of BBQ" but if you ask anybody what is SC BBQ the only thing we can answer is ... mustard base sauce

With Scott's being a 3rd generation, I would say they're probably the close to tradition as you'll find in SC ... therefore I would make the conclusion that SC BBQ is pulled whole hog with vinegar based sauce.
If you want to go all the way back to the oldest roots of BBQ I think the vinegar sauce as we currently know it is the closest thing to the original, but I the other sauces certainly have their place in SC BBQ history, and the mustard sauce is definitely unique to the state. It really just depends on where in the state you are.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #63
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29700000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
They have large open windows into the room where they smoke the pigs. Would be pretty tough to hide if they were firing everything over propane.

They let their wood burn down to embers before it goes under the pig, so I think that's why you don't get a very pronounced smoke flavor.

Their ribs are better than their Q in my opinion. Definitely give em a try.
It was odd. The naked pork (without sauce) had really no flavor at all, which gives the impression of cooking over gas instead of smoke. No smoke flavor at all, and I couldn't even taste the flavor of the meat having been "mopped" while being cooked. I've had whole hog cooked over embers, I've had whole hog cooked in a La Caja China box, you can always taste at least a hint of smoke in every bite of meat...this had none.

It gave me the definite impression that he's turning out more volume than he can cook on smoke, so gas is being used to help the process. He may not be using gas onsite, but the pronounced smoke smell outside didn't match up with the product on my plate. The pulled pork didn't seem to fit with the way the ribs looked, it gives the impression he's cooking butts on gas somewhere, maybe using that to "stretch" his supply of pulled pork.

The ribs did look very good, appeared to have a nice bark on them. A couple people by me had ribs, everyone else seemed to have pulled pork. I think the ribs may be the real deal.

On a humorous note, the food comes with two slices of white bread. I had a guy sitting behind me tap my shoulder, and ask why they gave him bread when he didn't order a sandwich. Needless to say, I noted that he must not be from around here, and asked where he was from....Ohio. Nice guy, his daughter's going to attend CofC.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #64
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
It was odd. The naked pork (without sauce) had really no flavor at all, which gives the impression of cooking over gas instead of smoke. No smoke flavor at all, and I couldn't even taste the flavor of the meat having been "mopped" while being cooked. I've had whole hog cooked over embers, I've had whole hog cooked in a La Caja China box, you can always taste at least a hint of smoke in every bite of meat...this had none.

It gave me the definite impression that he's turning out more volume than he can cook on smoke, so gas is being used to help the process. He may not be using gas onsite, but the pronounced smoke smell outside didn't match up with the product on my plate. The pulled pork didn't seem to fit with the way the ribs looked, it gives the impression he's cooking butts on gas somewhere, maybe using that to "stretch" his supply of pulled pork.

The ribs did look very good, appeared to have a nice bark on them. A couple people by me had ribs, everyone else seemed to have pulled pork. I think the ribs may be the real deal.

On a humorous note, the food comes with two slices of white bread. I had a guy sitting behind me tap my shoulder, and ask why they gave him bread when he didn't order a sandwich. Needless to say, I noted that he must not be from around here, and asked where he was from....Ohio. Nice guy, his daughter's going to attend CofC.

You basically met half the Charleston population.