CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
tcmac08
thekob
TastyLicks
kick_ball
Blitzkrieg
Flameout12
Master Bedroom
cockyguitar
Spur's Addiction
Anonymous SEC coache (1254)
Dawn Staley, Missour (1158)
RELAX!!! (946)
Boiled Peanuts (745)
2018 CFN Five-Year P (590)
Boiled Peanuts (406)
Adding Satellite Rad (303)
2018 NCAA Softball S (279)
Bon Appetit's It's A (159)
2018 NCAA Softball Super
Bianca Cuevas Moorve will
NBA Playoffs
Boiled Peanuts
2019 Commitment - Jahmar
RELAX!!!
Luginbill: Joyner could
Dawn Staley, Missouri AD
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
COOKING THIS WEEKEND

Old 09-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GaCocky has hatched from the shell
Default Fall Softball 2017

Double header against Charlotte Sunday. If anyone makes it to the game please post some highlights. Thanks.

I'm thinking this team could be pretty good this year.
GaCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fall Softball 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCocky View Post
Double header against Charlotte Sunday. If anyone makes it to the game please post some highlights. Thanks.

I'm thinking this team could be pretty good this year.
I'll be there . Nine newcomers ( 8 freshmen , 1 transfer ) on the team . Watched a little bit of practice today before I went over to the baseball scrimmage . Freshman Alyssa Kumiyama is evidently still rehabbing her knee . She had knee surgery a few months ago and she was walking up and down the stadium steps . Redshirt freshman Alexis Lindsey , who had knee surgery last year was practicing . Kenzi Maguire looked healthy , but Alyssa Vanderveer is in a walking boot again . Power hitting freshman Jana Johns practiced some in left field as well as third base .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
I'll be there . Nine newcomers ( 8 freshmen , 1 transfer ) on the team . Watched a little bit of practice today before I went over to the baseball scrimmage . Freshman Alyssa Kumiyama is evidently still rehabbing her knee . She had knee surgery a few months ago and she was walking up and down the stadium steps . Redshirt freshman Alexis Lindsey , who had knee surgery last year was practicing . Kenzi Maguire looked healthy , but Alyssa Vanderveer is in a walking boot again . Power hitting freshman Jana Johns practiced some in left field as well as third base .
Thanks for the update. I wished they live streamed the fall games. I would like to see what kind of lineup options we use. I think Mack will be in for a big year. I would like to see which new girls will help.
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Gamecocks took both games from Charlotte . No scoreboard or PA today , but I believe the scores were 3-1 in the first game and 6-4 in the second . In game one , around the infield USC started Krystan White at first base , Boesel at second , Maguire at short and Freshman Jana Johns at third . Outfield was Duffy in right , I think Stewart was in center , and Clark in left . Freshman Anna Vest got the start at catcher .

USC scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first on a triple by Boesel and a double by Johns . Boesel drove in the other two runs with a two run homer . Big day for Boesel , who also had a home run and an rbi single in game two .

Freshman Jana Johns looked solid . She was at third base for a good portion of the double-header and was flawless there and she hit some balls hard . Don't recall how many hits she had overall ( the double in the first stood out) , but in game two she just missed a home run with a high sac fly to the track in dead center .

I think everyone who was healthy played . There was lots of shuffling around as CoachBev took a look at the freshmen .

The pitchers in the first game - Transfer Dixie Raley started and threw three scoreless innings . Hayley Copeland threw a scoreless 4th and Cayla Drotar finished up , allowing 1 unearned run in three innings .

Game two - A nervous freshman Kelsey Oh got off to rough start , with several walks and a couple of hit batters but Charlotte only got two runs in the inning , and that was all Oh allowed in her three innings . Hayley Copeland pitched two more innings in game two and gave up a two run homer that made the score 4-1 Charlotte at the time . Freshman Victoria Galvan pitched two scoreless innings and also doubled in a run to spark USC's comeback win .

Four more games next weekend and I hope to see two or three of them .
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Gamecocks took both games from Charlotte . No scoreboard or PA today , but I believe the scores were 3-1 in the first game and 6-4 in the second . In game one , around the infield USC started Krystan White at first base , Boesel at second , Maguire at short and Freshman Jana Johns at third . Outfield was Duffy in right , I think Stewart was in center , and Clark in left . Freshman Anna Vest got the start at catcher .

USC scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first on a triple by Boesel and a double by Johns . Boesel drove in the other two runs with a two run homer . Big day for Boesel , who also had a home run and an rbi single in game two .

Freshman Jana Johns looked solid . She was at third base for a good portion of the double-header and was flawless there and she hit some balls hard . Don't recall how many hits she had overall ( the double in the first stood out) , but in game two she just missed a home run with a high sac fly to the track in dead center .

I think everyone who was healthy played . There was lots of shuffling around as CoachBev took a look at the freshmen .

The pitchers in the first game - Transfer Dixie Raley started and threw three scoreless innings . Hayley Copeland threw a scoreless 4th and Cayla Drotar finished up , allowing 1 unearned run in three innings .

Game two - A nervous freshman Kelsey Oh got off to rough start , with several walks and a couple of hit batters but Charlotte only got two runs in the inning , and that was all Oh allowed in her three innings . Hayley Copeland pitched two more innings in game two and gave up a two run homer that made the score 4-1 Charlotte at the time . Freshman Victoria Galvan pitched two scoreless innings and also doubled in a run to spark USC's comeback win .

Four more games next weekend and I hope to see two or three of them .
Great got 2 wins thank you for the recap I appriciate it very much.
Was the pitching pretty good? Sound like we pitched everybody. Basel is a stud.
Glad the freshman looked pretty good. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Pitching was good , not great . A few more walks than I would like , but Charlotte really didn't hit much hard in game one , and only a few hard hits in game two . It's probably not surprising that Raley was the first pitcher . She is actually our most experienced pitcher . She was a little wild at first , but settled in and threw well . She may have been a little overused at Georgia Southern ( 202 innings as a freshman , 174 as a sophomore) which might have contributed to her decline in numbers . She was good enough as a freshman to be the Sun Coast conference pitcher of the year . I think she will start at least once a week for us . Hopefully the other pitchers are good enough that she won't have to throw 200 innings for us .
I expected Oh to look a little more polished , based on her recruiting ranking . She was all over the place in her first inning . I speculated that she was nervous , but I don't really know . She may be working on a new pitch or two . I'm sure Beverly is still trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the newcomers . I was pleasantly surprised with Victoria Galvan . She came in and threw strikes and got some ground ball outs .
Drotar did a good job in her three innings . The only run she allowed came in on her own throwing error . Copeland looked better than she has in the past , even though she gave up the home run . She seemed to keep her poise better .

Last edited by scfastpitch; 09-25-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Pitching was good , not great . A few more walks than I would like , but Charlotte really didn't much hard in game one , and only a few hard hits in game two . It's probably not surprising that Raley was the first pitcher . She is actually our most experienced pitcher . She was a little wild at first , but settled in and threw well . She may have been a little overused at Georgia Southern ( 202 innings as a freshman , 174 as a sophomore) which might have contributed to her decline in numbers . She was good enough as a freshman to be the Sun Coast conference pitcher of the year . I think she will start at least once a week for us . Hopefully the other pitchers are good enough that she won't have to throw 200 innings for us .
I expected Oh to look a little more polished , based on her recruiting ranking . She was all over the place in her first inning . I speculated that she was nervous , but I don't really know . She may be working on a new pitch or two . I'm sure Beverly is still trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the newcomers . I was pleasantly surprised with Victoria Galvan . She came in and threw strikes and got some ground ball outs .
Drotar did a good job in her three innings . The only run she allowed came in on her own throwing error . Copeland looked better than she has in the past , even though she gave up the home run . She seemed to keep her poise better .
Thanks. I used to watch Dixie pitch in Travel and high school. I think she will be a good pitcher. I think Drotar can be a good pitcher for us and I hope the freshman girls can contribute as wells as Copeland. You need a staff now a days hopefully we will end up with a good one. I think the new hitting coach will have the offense scoring more runs this year and our defense has been pretty good especially in the in field. Looking forward to watching some games this weekend.
Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

USC goes to 3-0 in the fall with a win over Charleston Southern . I guess the official score was 8-1 , as the gamecocks batted in the bottom of the 7th leading 8-1 and the subs scored a couple more runs .

Freshmen Kelsey Oh and Victoria Galvan pitched for USC . Oh was much better than last weekend . Her command still isn't quite where it needs to be , but she threw four shutout innings without allowing a hit . When she was around the plate she got a lot of swings and misses . Galvan allowed the run and something like 4 hits in her three innings . I liked the fact that she continued to throw strikes even after giving up some hits .

Kennedy Clark was the hitting star . I think she was 3-for-3 , including a home run and a double . Four more games on Saturday and Sunday .
Old 09-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

USC takes game one Saturday to move to 4-0 in the fall . Score was technically 5-3 over PC . Jana Johns and Krystan White had home runs for USC . Like last night we batted in the bottom of the 7th and let a couple of freshmen bat . Wound up scoring one more and had one thrown out at the plate .

Dixie Raley went 4 innings for USC and allowed all three runs . Haley Copeland finished up with three shutout innings .

USC plays Charleston Southern today at 4pm .
Old 09-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
USC takes game one Saturday to move to 4-0 in the fall . Score was technically 5-3 over PC . Jana Johns and Krystan White had home runs for USC . Like last night we batted in the bottom of the 7th and let a couple of freshmen bat . Wound up scoring one more and had one thrown out at the plate .

Dixie Raley went 4 innings for USC and allowed all three runs . Haley Copeland finished up with three shutout innings .

USC plays Charleston Southern today at 4pm .
Old 09-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

USC moves to 5-0 with an 8-0 win over Charleston Southern Saturday . Cayla Drotar and Kelsey Oh combined on a one hit shutout . Mackenzie Boesel had a three run homer and freshman catcher Anna Vest added a pair of doubles .

The gamecocks play PC at 2:30 Sunday & College of Charleston at 5:00 .
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #12
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

USC won two more Sunday , 7-0 over College of Charleston and 6-4 over PC . The fall games are starting to run together for me now and I'm having a hard time recalling who had the hits in which game . Turned out we played CofC first and Victoria Galvan & Dixie Raley combined for the 7-0 shutout . Against PC , Haley Copeland started and Haley unfortunately had one of those days she has sometimes when she can't find the strike zone . She had to be taken out in the second inning , with 4 runs in , the bases loaded and 1 out . Cayla Drotar came in and got a double play, pitched shutout ball the rest of the way and got the 6-4 win .
USC goes to 7-0 in the fall with one game remaining . That one is next Sunday at Chesterfield High vs an opponent yet to be named .

ps - Just found out the game at Chesterfield October 8 is vs Spartanburg Methodist .

Last edited by scfastpitch; 10-02-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Old 10-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
JerseyBird
Just go for the ball

Male

CockyCash: 35700247356274
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Thanks for all the updates!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
USC won two more Sunday , 7-0 over College of Charleston and 6-4 over PC . The fall games are starting to run together for me now and I'm having a hard time recalling who had the hits in which game . Turned out we played CofC first and Victoria Galvan & Dixie Raley combined for the 7-0 shutout . Against PC , Haley Copeland started and Haley unfortunately had one of those days she has sometimes when she can't find the strike zone . She had to be taken out in the second inning , with 4 runs in , the bases loaded and 1 out . Cayla Drotar came in and got a double play, pitched shutout ball the rest of the way and got the 6-4 win .
USC goes to 7-0 in the fall with one game remaining . That one is next Sunday at Chesterfield High vs an opponent yet to be named .

ps - Just found out the game at Chesterfield October 8 is vs Spartanburg Methodist .
Thanks for the updates! I finally got to watch some games. I thought the defense looks really good and we have a pitching staff which is going to be nice to have options. I thought Boesl , Kennedy, McGuire , and Johns hit the ball good this weekend.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCocky View Post
Thanks for the updates! I finally got to watch some games. I thought the defense looks really good and we have a pitching staff which is going to be nice to have options. I thought Boesl , Kennedy, McGuire , and Johns hit the ball good this weekend.
Agree . I'm not too crazy about freshmen starting out in the middle of the lineup but Johns looks like she can handle it . Kennedy Clark is hitting like she hit the first month of her freshman season . Hope she can keep that up this spring . Also , we still have a couple of potential hitters that aren't healthy yet in VanDerveer and Kumiyama .
Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Agree . I'm not too crazy about freshmen starting out in the middle of the lineup but Johns looks like she can handle it . Kennedy Clark is hitting like she hit the first month of her freshman season . Hope she can keep that up this spring . Also , we still have a couple of potential hitters that aren't healthy yet in VanDerveer and Kumiyama .
When they get healthy should add some more power to the line-up.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Weather permitting , USC will play their final fall game Sunday October 8 at Chesterfield High School . The game is with Spartanburg Methodist at 2pm and there is an admission fee of 5 dollars . I'm guessing the proceeds will go to the Chesterfield team but I don't know for sure . Not sure what they will do if it rains .
Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #18
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

USC shuts out SMC to finish up their fall schedule at 8-0 . Weird game since it turned out that SMC had no healthy pitchers and had to borrow two from USC . Cayla Drotar & Kelsey Oh pitched for SMC . Drotar's teammates roughed her up some and scored a dozen or so runs , but poor defense by SMC prolonged several innings . (SMC seems to have really gone down hill from the kind of team they had a few years back) .
Mackenzie Boesel led the way with 2 home runs . I didn't see Kelsey Oh allow any runs , but the scoreboard operator seemed to think she gave up 1 or 2 , not that it matters . Dixie Raley , Haley Copeland and Victoria Galvan pitched well for USC , although Copeland did get herself in trouble with walks one inning but got out of it . Krystan White played well in front of the home folks . She had at least one hit , maybe more . I may do a little wrap up later on who helped themselves this fall .
Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #19
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
USC shuts out SMC to finish up their fall schedule at 8-0 . Weird game since it turned out that SMC had no healthy pitchers and had to borrow two from USC . Cayla Drotar & Kelsey Oh pitched for SMC . Drotar's teammates roughed her up some and scored a dozen or so runs , but poor defense by SMC prolonged several innings . (SMC seems to have really gone down hill from the kind of team they had a few years back) .
Mackenzie Boesel led the way with 2 home runs . I didn't see Kelsey Oh allow any runs , but the scoreboard operator seemed to think she gave up 1 or 2 , not that it matters . Dixie Raley , Haley Copeland and Victoria Galvan pitched well for USC , although Copeland did get herself in trouble with walks one inning but got out of it . Krystan White played well in front of the home folks . She had at least one hit , maybe more . I may do a little wrap up later on who helped themselves this fall .
Thanks for all the updates! Man Bosel has been on fire.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

After the fall - Some opinions on what we may have learned about the team during fall ball .

1. The infield looks set . Barring injury , of course . The starting infield should be Krystan White at 1b , Mackenzie Boesel at 2b , Kenzie Maguire at ss & freshman Jana Johns at 3b . This is a really solid group . Defensively I think Boesel is at least average and White and Maguire are plus defenders . From what I saw of Johns in 8 fall games , she is a plus defender as well . Offensively they are even better . Boesel is the teamís best hitter with Johns not far behind . Maguire had a good fall with the bat and may be the leadoff hitter . White has improved as a hitter every year and was second on the team in rbi last season . This group is the strength of the team .

2. The outfield has more question marks , but hereís how I think they may start the season . Kennedy Clark had a good fall and I think she begins the season in a corner spot , probably left field . Tiara Duffy didnít seem to me to have a very good fall , but she had a good season last year so Iím plugging her in right field . I think Kamryn Watts will get the first shot at centerfield . Her offense is questionable , but she has excellent speed and looks to be a good defensive outfielder . When Drotar & Galvan pitch they can possibly bat for themselves so Watts would probably be defense-only in those games .

3. For catcher I have no clue . There are a couple of catchers who sat out the fall games - Alyssa Kumiyama & Alyssa Vanderveer , who may figure into the picture . Kumiyama is listed as an infielder on the USC roster , but in a radio interview last week Coach Smith referred to her when discussing the catchers . Coming off knee surgery , Iím not sure how much she will be able to catch , but if she is healthy itís potentially another good bat in the lineup . Likewise with Vanderveer , who is recovering from ankle surgery . Senior Jordyn Augustus and freshmen Anna Vest & Alex Fulmer did the catching in the fall games . I like Vest best overall , but the experience Augustus picked up last season may get her more time .

4. Pitching is obviously a big key to how the season goes . Raley or Drotar may start the season as the number one starter , but I think freshman Kelsey Oh is talented enough to possibly be the Friday starter come SEC time . Oh still has some pitches get away from her at times - in the dirt , over the catcherís head , etc. And she falls behind in the count a little too much . If she can clean that up some she has a chance to be really good . Victoria Galvan has a good drop or drop-curve and gets a ton of ground balls . I see her as more of a short term reliever until she adds another pitch or two .

Thatís about all I have for now . If we stay reasonably healthy and the pitching falls into place it could be an exciting year .