CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
etowngangsta
Rogocop
Cockadoo
ConwayGamecock
Spur's Addiction
RGHoskins
TaySC
Cockygaming
TastyLicks
2020 - Deron Reid (500)
Worst year in Human (376)
Critiquing the WORST (321)
Belk Bowl (193)
No man has ever made (178)
Ranking the Bowl Gam (154)
Mumps outbreak at Carolin
The "Cult of Frank&q
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
Stephen Garcia to Ryan Hi
Will Grier skipping bowl
2018 Signee - Tyquan John
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley
2019 - Jakai Moore

Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #81
ipull4usc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material
Default Re: The 2019 Class of South Carolina Recruits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
Excellent post Ace. The only players leaving this program are the ones not contributing to the team. This is good for them and our program. Don't know why all the crying with some of these posters. Many of those leaving don't put forth the effort, don't work out on their own. Our good guys do these things.

When PJ turned UNC down to come here Roy Williams reportedly told him he could not play for a better coach than Frank Martin.
Then why is Frank recruiting and signing guys who aren't willing to put in the effort? Not enough players out there that fit his style? Is he doing a poor job of evaluating the work ethic of the kids he's recruiting?

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #82
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Ok, so I take it you believe the guys who are leaving are either (1) not legit talents or (2) donít fit Frankís system. Then why is Frank recruiting them? Is he poor at evaluating talent and gauging who fits his system? Or are there not enough players out there that fit his system and he has to take chances on guys?
I think most of them have the talent. Frank has a good eye for that, and - despite what you read on this board - he is a good recruiter. And if they have the talent, they fit his system.

The reason that so many players do not make it is (3) they are not dedicated. If you do not want to work hard enough to learn Frank's system, and are more concerned about partying with your buds and spending quality time at Five Points, then you are not going to work for Frank.

As to why we get guys that do not want to work hard and have high moral standards, it is hard to project what recruits will do in college. The players worked hard enough in high school to be really good players. But they have work twice as hard in college to be a success, and some players don't want to do that.

Plus, a lot of players are fine until they get away from home and around the temptation that comes with being a star with lost of partying possiblities. Truth be known, I crawled up Green Street from Five Points a few nights when I was in school.

And even if they are willing to work hard, some guys are put off by Frank's brand of tough love. It is the same reason that a bunch of knobs bail at the Ctiadel every year - it ain't easy and it ain't for everybody.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #83
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
I think most of them have the talent. Frank has a good eye for that, and - despite what you read on this board - he is a good recruiter. And if they have the talent, they fit his system.

The reason that so many players do not make it is (3) they are not dedicated. If you do not want to work hard enough to learn Frank's system, and are more concerned about partying with your buds and spending quality time at Five Points, then you are not going to work for Frank.

As to why we get guys that do not want to work hard and have high moral standards, it is hard to project what recruits will do in college. The players worked hard enough in high school to be really good players. But they have work twice as hard in college to be a success, and some players don't want to do that.

Plus, a lot of players are fine until they get away from home and around the temptation that comes with being a star with lost of partying possiblities. Truth be known, I crawled up Green Street from Five Points a few nights when I was in school.

And even if they are willing to work hard, some guys are put off by Frank's brand of tough love. It is the same reason that a bunch of knobs bail at the Ctiadel every year - it ain't easy and it ain't for everybody.
Not wanting to put in the work and partying with your friends are not traits that this kids just all of a sudden picked up. Evaluation of a kid is more than his skill set it's also about his work ethics and type of person he is.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:51 PM   #84
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Recruiting is not a science. Often times, its a crapshoot. A kid can have basketball ability, size, and athleticism, but for some reason or reasons, he doesn't fit well in a particular program. And you can't know that until he is put into the program and has a chance to practice and compete against his teammates. And then, there are those who become dissatisfied because other guys on the roster are getting to play more than them. They look at the roster and decide they don't want to risk another year to see if they can earn more minutes. So they leave hoping the grass is greener somewhere else. Frank doesn't have many players transfer who are playing a lot.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #85
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Not wanting to put in the work and partying with your friends are not traits that this kids just all of a sudden picked up. Evaluation of a kid is more than his skill set it's also about his work ethics and type of person he is.
What are you going to do - hire detectives to trail potential recruits? We are not recruiting thugs - Frank has said on many occasions that Rah is a beautiful kid. And their coaches, family and teachers are not going to say bad things about the young men. Face it - if they were partying a lot, they never would have become D1 prospects.

If a detective had trailed me in HS, I would have passed with flying colors. I was a good student, went to church three times a week, stayed pretty chill. And I put in enough time and work on basketball court to be really good - if I had any athletic ability.

But when I got away from home and around hot coeds and a few bad influences...sex, drugs n' rock and roll, baby!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #86
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Burns is considering reclassifying and coming to USC sure could use some quality big men behind Silva if Silva returns.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #87
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Burns is considering reclassifying and coming to USC sure could use some quality big men behind Silva if Silva returns.
Yep.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...210404469.html

If he does it might give us more room in the 2019 class.

Something else too. I hope Jason Cudd is working his butt off to get stronger and shoot better. I would feel a whole lot better about our inside game.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #88
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Yep.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...210404469.html

If he does it might give us more room in the 2019 class.

Something else too. I hope Jason Cudd is working his butt off to get stronger and shoot better. I would feel a whole lot better about our inside game.
I expect Cudd to be better next year. I think he is going to do well. Our post talent next season should be the best in quite a while, assuming Silva returns.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #89
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I expect Cudd to be better next year. I think he is going to do well. Our post talent next season should be the best in quite a while, assuming Silva returns.
Silva
Cudd
Haase
Kotsar

+

Burns (if he reclassifies)

Without Silva we definitely need Burns now.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #90
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

We need all those kids to reclassify Frank should really let those kids know to take Summer classes and come to USC in August. It wonít happen but having Gary or Christian Brown (who we are unlikely to get) would really bolster our roster. How will another year of high school benefit these kids? If I were Frank Iíd be calling them everyday cause we need all the help we can get.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #91
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Silva
Cudd
Haase
Kotsar

+

Burns (if he reclassifies)

Without Silva we definitely need Burns now.
You left out Frink. I think.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #92
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
We need all those kids to reclassify Frank should really let those kids know to take Summer classes and come to USC in August. It wonít happen but having Gary or Christian Brown (who we are unlikely to get) would really bolster our roster. How will another year of high school benefit these kids? If I were Frank Iíd be calling them everyday cause we need all the help we can get.
We need another guard for next year. If Bowen plays, we won't need Gary or Brown next year. Don't want too many because they all can't play.

If we get Burns or Kaosi Ezeagu for 2018, I wonder if Frank will try to play three bigs some, or a lot, next season?