CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GregoryHouse
Spurticus
Spur's Addiction
CockRoche
TaySC
RGHoskins
cocky0
Ace Dilcock
AtlGAMECOCK
gAmkok
Is It Just Me..... (1295)
Ruin a TV Show by Ad (1155)
Why we should apprec (933)
What happened to UNC (811)
Watching Orange Luth (221)
Week 4: Around Colle (214)
**USC (1-1) vs. Vand (169)
UCF (124)
MBB off-season overs (91)
2020 Commitment - Mecose
Why we should appreciate
**USC (1-1) vs. Vanderbil
Gamecock Tipoff - October
Watching Orange Lutheran
***Women's Soccer 2018 Se
Is It Just Me.....
Willy B upgrades to cost
High school football has
Week 4: Around College Fo

Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
Cockfather
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his comb
Default Re: 2019 Tre Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Ewing didn't recruit him. We don't know what the situation between them was. Even if he turns out to only be a practice player, no harm done. He will only be here one season. He was recruited by some big schools out of high school. A new situation might be just what he needs.
Evidently there was an injury. No information, nothing mentioning surgery
Cockfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #22
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
Evidently there was an injury. No information, nothing mentioning surgery
I read he was injured in a bus wreck on the way to a game. A knee injury, I think. I think he is fully recovered now, but I could be wrong. He didn't play last season.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #23
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Not sure why so many are down on this grad transfer coming to us.

What we know:

- he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school
- he was recruited by some pretty decent programs and ended up at Georgetown
- he was injured last season
- there was a coaching change at Georgetown and Ewing is bringing in his own guys, building for the future
- we have open scholarships and may as well use them

So what's the real risk of bringing someone in?
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 993410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Welcome to Gamecock Nation Mr. Campbell
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #25
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 999903846
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

What we know:

- there was a coaching change at Georgetown and Ewing is bringing in his own guys, building for the future

for whatever reason, c2 and a few other seem to really be looking for reasons to criticize frank. It could be warranted but it certainly isn't the flack that champ gets for bringing in grad help to areas of need.

a bison.
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #26
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip

Male

GAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudly

Some of y'all are some huge debbie downers. I mean let the prove his worth first. I bet you guys thought Booker was poor recruiting on Frank's part too last year. We can use all the PG depth we can get, especially one with some height.
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
Cockfather
Recruit

Male

Cockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
Some of y'all are some huge debbie downers. I mean let the prove his worth first. I bet you guys thought Booker was poor recruiting on Frank's part too last year. We can use all the PG depth we can get, especially one with some height.
So if he does what Booker did and doubles his career high for points per game he will average seven points and 2.5 assists per game.

Booker was more the exception than the rule. I hope he pans out, but to me, there are red flags. Its more likely that this is a product of who Frank can actually recruit.
Cockfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #28
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip

Male

GAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
So if he does what Booker did and doubles his career high for points per game he will average seven points and 2.5 assists per game.

Booker was more the exception than the rule. I hope he pans out, but to me, there are red flags. Its more likely that this is a product of who Frank can actually recruit.
Nobody expects him to be a savior but he could possibly provide some much needed valuable playing time. I'm confident Frank and company liked what they saw rather just settle with the first yes they could get. Everything is not doom and gloom. Save that for when the team actually disappoints and/or underachieve.

Sent from my LM-X210 using Tapatalk
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockclint View Post
Just committed to South Carolina- transfer guard from Georgetown. This is per 247sports. He's actually eligible in 2018.
How is he eligible? Never mind; I just saw he sat out last season.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #30
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1600
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
How is he eligible? Never mind; I just saw he sat out last season.
grad transfer
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
warriorcock
4-Star

Male

warriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPit

There seems to be a lot fatigue from the seemingly never ending turnover of our roster. I get that, and agree we need stability sooner rather than later.

Tre was a 4* recruit coming out of high school. And even now, it's not like he didn't have other options. Before committing to USC, he was drawing interest from other schools, including Oklahoma State and UConn.

I hope he has a great year and proves a lot of people wrong. At the very least, as a grad transfer he helps shore up the PG position next year until hopefully Felton arrives.

Why don't we wait and see how this plays out, rather than jump to conclusions?

Welcome Tre!
warriorcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #32
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 310
USCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervous

Oh my! I hope someone is keeping track of what our Men's and Women's basketball rosters look like. It is getting hard to keep track of.
USCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #33
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCarolina View Post
Oh my! I hope someone is keeping track of what our Men's and Women's basketball rosters look like. It is getting hard to keep track of.
We currently have 11 schollies on the roster including Campbell. I think that’s right. Because Burns has reclassified, if he picks us, that leaves 1 more.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #34
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

USCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervousUSCarolina is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
We currently have 11 schollies on the roster including Campbell. I think thatís right. Because Burns has reclassified, if he picks us, that leaves 1 more.
Is 11 including Silva and Bowen?

General consensus is Burns over Felton?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #35
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCarolina View Post
Is 11 including Silva and Bowen?

General consensus is Burns over Felton?
Yes, because they are currently in school. And after Frankís tweet today, many see that as good news for us with Bowen. Someone said they heard Bowen will get suspended for either 3 or 6 games starting with the beginning of the season. But I have no idea if thatís true or not.

Yes on Burns over Felton. After reading some of this today, Iím not sure theyíre taking Felton now.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #36
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

Quote:
Yes, because they are currently in school. And after Frankís tweet today, many see that as good news for us with Bowen. Someone said they heard Bowen will get suspended for either 3 or 6 games starting with the beginning of the season. But I have no idea if thatís true or not.

Yes on Burns over Felton. After reading some of this today, Iím not sure theyíre taking Felton now.
It kinda seems like Felton was a back up plan if we lost Bowen. To give us some outside offensive production? Just reading between the lines, I could be wrong. Felton isn't eligible this year. Burns would be. Also, potentially more years with Burns although, with everyone going pro early and transferring, that is definitely not a given.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #37
DJ35
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 8299
DJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

What we know:

Itís not who people want, and apparently they think after our first ever Final Four appearance Frank should just be able to snap his fingers and get any of the best players to come to Carolina.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:22 AM   #38
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Tre did not play last year because of an injury due to a bus accident. Below is a post from a Georgetown insider I saw on TBS that is very familiar with Tre.

First and foremost, his personality and approach to the game should fit perfectly with Coach Martin and what he expects out of his players. Obviously, it has been about a year and a half since anyone saw Tre compete in a Big East game so it's hard to know exactly how far his shot has come since he last suited up for Georgetown but I'd expect for him to make an immediate impact on the defensive end regardless. During his time with the Hoyas, he was one of the team's better on ball defenders on the perimeter and I'd expect that to continue during his time at SC. Offensively, he plays the game with great pace and is always looking to push the ball up the floor in hopes of finding a teammate or a shot for himself. That being said, Campbell isn't pushing the tempo for the sake of playing fast. He should be just as comfortable in a halfcourt set as he is in transition (almost have to be to run the Princeton like he did in DC). His jumper was streaky at times before his injury, someone mentioned the game he had against Xavier where he went 7/11 for 21 points, so finding more consistency there will certainly be something I'd like to see from him. All in all, this is a solid pickup for the Gamecocks this late in the game as Tre should benefit this team from a leadership standpoint in the locker room and as one of the facilitators of the offense on the floor.

That’s a pretty solid write up in my opinon.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #39
BigRedCock
kob's DADDY

Male

CockyCash: 5672
BigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Tre did not play last year because of an injury due to a bus accident. Below is a post from a Georgetown insider I saw on TBS that is very familiar with Tre.

First and foremost, his personality and approach to the game should fit perfectly with Coach Martin and what he expects out of his players. Obviously, it has been about a year and a half since anyone saw Tre compete in a Big East game so it's hard to know exactly how far his shot has come since he last suited up for Georgetown but I'd expect for him to make an immediate impact on the defensive end regardless. During his time with the Hoyas, he was one of the team's better on ball defenders on the perimeter and I'd expect that to continue during his time at SC. Offensively, he plays the game with great pace and is always looking to push the ball up the floor in hopes of finding a teammate or a shot for himself. That being said, Campbell isn't pushing the tempo for the sake of playing fast. He should be just as comfortable in a halfcourt set as he is in transition (almost have to be to run the Princeton like he did in DC). His jumper was streaky at times before his injury, someone mentioned the game he had against Xavier where he went 7/11 for 21 points, so finding more consistency there will certainly be something I'd like to see from him. All in all, this is a solid pickup for the Gamecocks this late in the game as Tre should benefit this team from a leadership standpoint in the locker room and as one of the facilitators of the offense on the floor.

Thatís a pretty solid write up in my opinon.
Wonder how he'll compare to Duane Notice
BigRedCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #40
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

We need whatever guards we can get at this point, so whoever is good and available come on down.

My issue with Martin's recruiting and management isn't the transfers in. There's going to be a normal--repeat normal--amount of loses of recruited players and transfers should help ease that. The idea, I would think, is that a transfer like Campbell would allow a player you recruited to develop without the pressure of playing immediately. The problem is, those players are either not developing or not lasting around long enough. So this becomes a plug and play team without elite talent, which is hard to watch at times.

And this season wasn't great but it would've sucked hard without Booker and Wesley.

I don't know. Maybe I should just get used to seeing an entirely new basketball team every year and not know who half the players are? I don't think anyone would've cared about the transfers last year if we didn't turn the ball over like it was our job. With Frank, maybe accepting this and that every offseason will be like musical chairs until we field a team will make news of so and so transferring out or being kicked off the team less frustrating?
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote