CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
FurmanCock
GregoryHouse
dreammachine
SanAntonioCock
TastyLicks
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
2019 schedule out (1253)
CFN: South Carolina (1109)
Hot Seat Coaching Ra (505)
WBB recruiting summa (407)
2019 MBB - Wildens L (401)
2020 - Adam Chaney (319)
Erskine Football? (300)
Georgia v Auburn 201 (233)
National cheeseburge (160)
Gamecock weekly pres (136)
WBB recruiting summary:
CFN: South Carolina vs. V
Which teams does USC beat
Erskine Football?
Hot Seat Coaching Ranking
Bar-B-Que In South Caroli
2019 - Jaquaze Sorrells
2019 schedule out
Josh Gordon
How Good Can Frank's Team

Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #101
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 6484
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material
Default Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion

Two great semi-final matches coming up!!!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #102
womfalcs3
Happiness is a choice

Male

CockyCash: 200
womfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot material

If I remember correctly, it was in 1998 World Cup that Croatia finished third and France won. Let's see if that repeats itself.

I'm rooting for Belgium, Croatia, England, then France. I want a first-time WC winner.
womfalcs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #103
MWard
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Facts: SC has 5M residents. Croatia has 4M residents. The USA has 325M residents.

Opinion: Yes, most of our state's and country's best athletes play other sports (football, basketball, track & field, baseball, hockey, etc...) and Croatia wishes that they could have the level of sport success we have in the other sports.... HOWEVER, knowing that we still have almost 40 times the size of their population, you would think the USA could/should have an internationlly competitive soccer team...at least able to get to the final 4 of the World Cup. We even have a fantastic free farm-league system in our collegiate soccer programs nationally.

side note: belgium has 11M residents.
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #104
cocknblue

Male

cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Facts: SC has 5M residents. Croatia has 4M residents. The USA has 325M residents.

Opinion: Yes, most of our state's and country's best athletes play other sports (football, basketball, track & field, baseball, hockey, etc...) and Croatia wishes that they could have the level of sport success we have in the other sports.... HOWEVER, knowing that we still have almost 40 times the size of their population, you would think the USA could/should have an internationlly competitive soccer team...at least able to get to the final 4 of the World Cup. We even have a fantastic free farm-league system in our collegiate soccer programs nationally.

It would he if USA Soccer would hire more scouts. Right now they have 1 scout for the western US. One
Old 07-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #105
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:

College soccer is a terrible farm system. The best teams in the world have 18 & 19 year olds that are professionals playing in the biggest leagues in the world. They are getting the brst training and nutrition and playing against the highest level of competition.

Few of those 18 & 19 year olds make national team rosters but are primed for the next cycle when they are 22 & 23 and will be at their statistical best when they are 26 & 27.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #106
cocknblue

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
College soccer is a terrible farm system. The best teams in the world have 18 & 19 year olds that are professionals playing in the biggest leagues in the world. They are getting the brst training and nutrition and playing against the highest level of competition.

Few of those 18 & 19 year olds make national team rosters but are primed for the next cycle when they are 22 & 23 and will be at their statistical best when they are 26 & 27.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #107
SR4-AJ1
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9990000
SR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPitSR4-AJ1 rules the CockPit
Default World Cup 2018 Discussion

Quote:

College soccer is our main problem. They set limitations on how many hours they can practice and be coached, meanwhile every other country has itís players engaged in everything soccer every day almost all day.

With that being said France is going to beat England in the final on Sunday. If you want a good atmosphere to watch the game come out to the British Bulldog!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #108
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Even South America as a whole is having issues with performing in the World Cup.

Over the last 3 Cups, there has only been 1 South American team to finish in the top 3 (Argentina finished 2nd in '14). That streak will continue this cup since it is an all European final 4.

South America will get another shot to win a WC in 2022 but by that time time it will have been 20 years since a South American team won the trophy (Brazil in '02).
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #109
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

I've been watching, not posting much, and it's been a lot of fun. I hate the matches during the day, but whatever. France is exciting on counters but to keep Belgium scoreless with cross after cross was impressive. England would also make a good storyline for the finals.

For US soccer, I think it's a chicken/egg thing to a degree. The interest isn't there so the money isn't there so the clubs don't want to invest. Around my area, none of the academies have any affiliation aside from coach's training to US soccer, club or otherwise. If there isn't enough interest to raise the money needed, I don't blame US clubs for not bankrupting themselves. I read somewhere that until there are just as many soccer balls in garages than basketball or baseballs, it'll continue to just be an uphill battle.

I hate to say it, but if I were in an executive position, I'd be spending a lot more on PR and marketing. Running ads every 4 years during the world cup isn't enough, especially when US ain't in it. Atlanta United is doing a solid job, but it still isn't quite enough. And bringing in stars well past their prime isn't going to really help things--it makes it more a side show than a real sport.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #110
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I've been watching, not posting much, and it's been a lot of fun. I hate the matches during the day, but whatever. France is exciting on counters but to keep Belgium scoreless with cross after cross was impressive. England would also make a good storyline for the finals.

For US soccer, I think it's a chicken/egg thing to a degree. The interest isn't there so the money isn't there so the clubs don't want to invest. Around my area, none of the academies have any affiliation aside from coach's training to US soccer, club or otherwise. If there isn't enough interest to raise the money needed, I don't blame US clubs for not bankrupting themselves. I read somewhere that until there are just as many soccer balls in garages than basketball or baseballs, it'll continue to just be an uphill battle.

I hate to say it, but if I were in an executive position, I'd be spending a lot more on PR and marketing. Running ads every 4 years during the world cup isn't enough, especially when US ain't in it. Atlanta United is doing a solid job, but it still isn't quite enough. And bringing in stars well past their prime isn't going to really help things--it makes it more a side show than a real sport.
High School Participation (Boys):
Basketball - 541,000
Baseball - 486,000
Soccer - 432,000

Soccer is not that far off from baseball from a participation standpoint and this is 2 year old data.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #111
uscbaseball32
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talons

Would the High School participation numbers really be all that relevant? At the high school level you have to actually make the team. Maybe some data on the number of kids that tried out for the team to compare to other sports would be a bit more helpful? Soccer is definitely growing quickly though, our best athletes just aren't playing it at the moment. Some of the NFL and NBA guys would be trouble on the soccer field if they grew up playing soccer and were coached well.
uscbaseball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #112
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 16238
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

The MLS needs to change their ways if soccer in the US is to get any better.

1- combine all the leagues, and set up a regulation system like Europe. The teams that really want to succeed and make money will put money into their investment, set up academies and work on developing players. Rather than sit back and just collect an MLS paycheck, they will work to stay relevant. FC Cincinnati built a solid origination in a matter of 2 years, imagine how hard they would work if they knew they could fall back without working to keep building.

2- Stop signing washed up Euro stars. MLS is looked at as a retirement league. Develop players and hunt for young talent instead of paying Wayne Rooney a ton of money for a year or two.

3- This could be hard, but set up a North/South American Champions League, heck even include Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Australia). This could be very hard and will never rival Champions League, but playing the best teams can only help.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #113
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbaseball32 View Post
Would the High School participation numbers really be all that relevant? At the high school level you have to actually make the team. Maybe some data on the number of kids that tried out for the team to compare to other sports would be a bit more helpful? Soccer is definitely growing quickly though, our best athletes just aren't playing it at the moment. Some of the NFL and NBA guys would be trouble on the soccer field if they grew up playing soccer and were coached well.
Yes and No.

Lebron is one of the greatest athletes we've ever seen but where do you put him on a soccer pitch? Goal keeper is the only logical place.Some of our best athletes in the NFL and NBA are just too tall fro soccer. But I do agree that there are some guys in the 5'10" to 6'2" range that have the body type to play soccer.

However, soccer is very much a skill sport. Arguably the best player ever is 5' 7" and 2 of the 5 best players during this WC are Luka Modric (5' 8" 145 lbs) and Eden Hazard 5' 8" 170 lbs).

The question to me is are there undersized guys who are killer athletes that are trying to make it in basketball and football that never go pro that could have very successful soccer careers?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #114
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes and No.

Lebron is one of the greatest athletes we've ever seen but where do you put him on a soccer pitch? Goal keeper is the only logical place.Some of our best athletes in the NFL and NBA are just too tall fro soccer. But I do agree that there are some guys in the 5'10" to 6'2" range that have the body type to play soccer.

However, soccer is very much a skill sport. Arguably the best player ever is 5' 7" and 2 of the 5 best players during this WC are Luka Modric (5' 8" 145 lbs) and Eden Hazard 5' 8" 170 lbs).

The question to me is are there undersized guys who are killer athletes that are trying to make it in basketball and football that never go pro that could have very successful soccer careers?
I think that this is dead on!
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #115
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes and No.

From my anecdotal experience, the kids that my kid have played with who were ballers and moved to another sport mostly did baseball. The big boys who would play football dropped off a few years ago (like 7 or 8 years old). Probably a regional thing.

Personally, I feel like soccer is expanding, but I also have a kid who plays it and am an upper middle class white dude so it's a bias.

The other thing that sucks is that kids are expected to basically pick a sport by the time they leave elementary school. If they're going to play in middle school, they're likely playing their respective sports year round now which hurts a sport like soccer trying to break in.

No data here, and not to get political, but in the next 2 decades, I think soccer with surpass baseball for viewership. Baseball has been slowly dying since the homerun fiascos and now is almost a regional draw. Not a lot of casual baseball fans. Basketball is doing really well and I don't think football is really in any danger. Being the number 3 national sport, though, would mean a lot for soccer. The political part, is that soon, countries who love soccer may make up a substantially larger portion of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants which will only help grow the sport.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #116
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
From my anecdotal experience, the kids that my kid have played with who were ballers and moved to another sport mostly did baseball. The big boys who would play football dropped off a few years ago (like 7 or 8 years old). Probably a regional thing.

Personally, I feel like soccer is expanding, but I also have a kid who plays it and am an upper middle class white dude so it's a bias.

The other thing that sucks is that kids are expected to basically pick a sport by the time they leave elementary school. If they're going to play in middle school, they're likely playing their respective sports year round now which hurts a sport like soccer trying to break in.

No data here, and not to get political, but in the next 2 decades, I think soccer with surpass baseball for viewership. Baseball has been slowly dying since the homerun fiascos and now is almost a regional draw. Not a lot of casual baseball fans. Basketball is doing really well and I don't think football is really in any danger. Being the number 3 national sport, though, would mean a lot for soccer. The political part, is that soon, countries who love soccer may make up a substantially larger portion of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants which will only help grow the sport.
I agree with everything in bold.

Your point about baseball is interesting bc baseball is also a skill sport. Wonder if there are transferable skills b/t the sports?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #117
ba55nec4r
4-Star

Male

ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree with everything in bold.

Your point about baseball is interesting bc baseball is also a skill sport. Wonder if there are transferable skills b/t the sports?

There are some but nothing specific. Mostly generic athletic stuff you need to play any sport at a high level. But I think IQ and the ability to play as a team, but also have moments where it's almost all on one person is directly related to baseball.

Batter vs pitcher = striker vs keeper being probably the main one. But unlike football and basketball you get that one crucial moment in soccer and baseball where you have to score (or hit) and no one can help you.
ba55nec4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #118
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I honestly think that the next sport to step up in terms of popularity will be lacrosse (and I love soccer)
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #119
uscbaseball32
Recruit

Male

uscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talonsuscbaseball32 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Yes and No.

Yeah, I meant more the shifty small nimble guys. Antonio Brown, Julian Edelman, Reggie Bush type guys. Tall dudes can be good soccer players too though. A guy like Russel Westbrook, Kyrie Irving etc would be hard to keep up with if they knew how to play the game from a technical standpoint. Kevin Durant would be insane in goal with his wingspan. Another big issue, that the US has started doing a better job with lately, is finding high quality coaches. Unfortunately the good coaches coach travel ball teams which eliminates a lot of players because of $$.
uscbaseball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #120
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Great finish by perisic
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote